Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sony still seem committed to console-first, unlike Microsoft, so far their PC releases have been long tail profit extraction (Days Gone, the leaked Uncharted 4) or sequel hooks (play H:ZD on PC then buy a PS5 for the sequel)

It would be great to see Playstation IP launch simultaneously on PC but I can't see it happening

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rinkles posted:

I guess preferably a sci fi game with team/ship management. I like the progression in FTL, but I think it could also work in something longer term. Think XCOM, where you build a base and get attached to your team over a long campaign (except with different gameplay).

Rimworld is not ship management, per se, but you are handling a team building a base. It's open-ended, a lot of fun, and has a learning curve that'll keep you busy for a long, long time.

There's also Space Haven. It's like Rimworld but on a spaceship: https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/. The game is still in EA, if that matters to you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Gonna ask again:

I’m afraid I never played much multiplayer in Martyr but I think the safe thing is to assume it still has whatever restrictions it had before.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Given that every other From Software game is available on PC, I can't imagine they're the ones holding Bloodborne back. It's got to be Sony, but it does come across like them just hating money with how many people are screaming for that game to come out on anything not Playstation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Armauk posted:

There's also Space Haven. It's like Rimworld but on a spaceship: https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/. The game is still in EA, if that matters to you.

it does, but thanks, i will keep an eye on it.

no one's obligated to do big sales, but i'm a bit confused by rimworld's price given its age

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rinkles posted:

no one's obligated to do big sales, but i'm a bit confused by rimworld's price given its age

Game's real good and worth the asking price, and the dev stands by it :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Given that every other From Software game is available on PC,

still no Otogi :negative:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Rinkles posted:

Another sub-$5 game I remembered I wanted to look at

$3.74

Heat Signature's problem is that it's way, way, way too long and I don't think there's a person alive who didn't get burnt out on it at least once before completing a full run. That said, the story isn't nearly as much a focal point as it was in Gunpoint, the fun is pretty much entirely in the moment to moment gameplay and getting new unlocks to more reliably be able to buy and use. So the best part of the game is around the middle, after you've gotten some good unlocks but before the fatigue has set in. The integrated friends list stuff to rescue captured characters or get a bigger pool of hand-me-down items is also great if you know anyone who plays it.

Doing your best to play the daily challenge run character once you have a handle on things is a good way to mix it up. There are also extra crazy ways in which you can tackle some assignments, like dogfighting; an almost entirely undocumented feature (because the legwork required to do it is rarely if ever actually worth it, but it's fun).

Just don't buy the rammer pod for yourself unless you're prepared for it to get you loving killed because it will loving kill you. It got nerfed to near uselessness in an update a while back.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

KakerMix posted:

Wild that Xbox now means "Microsoft software including PC" and now Sony is doing PC because selling software = the best.

PCs won after all?

I feel like this was mostly inevitable. I mean, there are and will be holdouts, I'm sure Sony isn't anywhere near giving up on the Playstation or anything, but the more people get into games the more people will want the platform that can do the most things and have the best graphics and play the most games. And that's PC by quite a large margin in all those respects.

Cowcaster posted:

sorry to pull the thread back after we've moved but: lol
https://twitter.com/DreamcastGuy/status/1410322895226671106?s=20

I mean, I'm not gonna buy them but that is only 12.50 USD per game. I guess that doesn't seem that bad to me, for a remake (or remaster at least) of some very well-regarded games.

Rinkles posted:

a derelict space ship roguelike shooter, sounds good

is it?

Cryptark, another sub $5 game

How have I never heard of this before?? It looks awesome, gonna get it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Armauk posted:

Also the devs are cool with racism

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Play posted:

How have I never heard of this before?? It looks awesome, gonna get it.

too many games

Play
Apr 25, 2006

My review of F1 Race Stars courtesy of Xander77:

A shameless Codemasters cash grab copy of Mario Kart using the F1 license that they have owned for quite a while. It is pretty much exactly like any other kart game, with colorful and wacky levels VERY loosely based on actual racetracks, all the big Formula 1 stars from 2012 as well as Susie Wolff, Toto Wolff's (Mercedes team boss) wife and one-time F1 test driver. I assume they put her in for some diversity since F1 is not diverse at all.

The majority of the drivers are not F1 drivers anymore, although there are some that are: Vettel, Hamilton, Raikonnen, Ricciardo, Perez and Alonso. The rest of them I don't really know of since I wasn't watching F1 in 2012.

There are only two semi-creative mechanics in the game that set it apart: 2-3 pit stop lanes per game which if your car has been damaged (pretty easy to do) you need to pull off and go through the pit lane which is neat. There is also a pace car that comes out when the yellow flags are raised. I have no clue what triggers that but it kind of seemed like another way to group up the pack since it always seemed to happen when I was far out in front. Perhaps it was a powerup for another racer.

There are a series of stupid powerups available, many involving either bubbles that grab your car and lift you up or balloons that you run into and get lifted up by.

The game doesn't FEEL very good at all, it doesn't have the ease and nice feeling of Mario Kart or the racey feel of an actual racing game. I'm sure there are little kids who love F1 but I doubt there are enough to support an entire video game. Which seems to be the case since they have never put out another one of these despite lineups changing every year and it being an opportunity to extract more money from little kids.

They also went full on into the Mario Kart system where it's based on keeping the racers together and not allowing one to get too far ahead, the equalization is brutal in this game to the point that I could be way out in front and fifty meters from the finish and not have the guaranteed win even close because there are many powerups that target the front driver. There are random patches of ground which are maybe a single shade different fron the course that if you touch at all you will instantly slow to a crawl.

In conclusion, it was an interesting game I had never heard of, but in the end not very good. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Codemasters, they have put out good stuff but so much of what they do is irredeemably lazy and I think this fits into the latter category. Certainly it has nothing on Mario Kart (pick which one it doesn't matter) or Crash Racing or Sonic Racing or any of the actual good games in the genre.

Rinkles posted:

too many games

Yeah that probably sums it up. And could be read several different ways, all of which are true and accurate

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rinkles posted:

The game is worth the money. Rimworld hardly goes on sale -- the recent steam sale saw a $3-4 price cut (wow) -- so the price you see is the price you'll pay.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

Gonna ask again:

I think they patched in full coop for the whole story campaign, but I'm not 100% sure. 80%.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've been back and forthing about 40K Martyr. I like Diablo-likes, but this one seems strange, and is above the impulse buy threshold for me. I could get three Heat Signatures for it!

Plus it probably won't run on my laptop, where I spend much of gaming time lately.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think From Software did all or most of the development work on both titles*, but Sony was footing the bill and supervised the projects, so Sony owns all the IP stuff and aren't going to let it out of their hands any time soon.

(* the Demon's Souls remake was not by From Software.)

yeah its this sry if i wasnt being clear, i just meant their own studio was attached alongside from

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I've been back and forthing about 40K Martyr. I like Diablo-likes, but this one seems strange, and is above the impulse buy threshold for me. I could get three Heat Signatures for it!

Plus it probably won't run on my laptop, where I spend much of gaming time lately.

It's a kind of simple, kind of repetitive ARPG. Equipment stats mostly consist of "put on stuff with bigger number" and level ups mostly consist of "make this number get bigger." Skills are tied to specific weapons and armor so there's no real unlocking of new abilities. Most factions you fight will have the same archetypes of enemy types (melee, ranged, heavy melee, heavy ranged, etc) in the same combinations. The environments don't have a lot of variety.

I wouldn't really recommend it unless you a) are really into WH40K or b) just want a simple ARPG that doesn't ask a lot of you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

I wouldn't really recommend it unless you a) are really into WH40K or b) just want a simple ARPG that doesn't ask a lot of you.

I'm a simple man, some might even say an idiot, so this sounds perfect for me.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I'm in the same boat. I was planning on getting both Martyr and Inquisitor, but the same thing is keeping me from pulling the trigger as before; the games are always online and to this day, continue to have significant issues because of it. Naturally the co-op, which is one the main selling points for me, suffers most. However the single player mode isn't safe from sudden desyncs either. Losing progress is not unheard of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

It's a kind of simple, kind of repetitive ARPG. Equipment stats mostly consist of "put on stuff with bigger number" and level ups mostly consist of "make this number get bigger." Skills are tied to specific weapons and armor so there's no real unlocking of new abilities. Most factions you fight will have the same archetypes of enemy types (melee, ranged, heavy melee, heavy ranged, etc) in the same combinations. The environments don't have a lot of variety.

guess i'll wait for a deeper discount, cause i am curious about it. the setting sounds pretty cool (derelict space cathedral?)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

On the other hand, I just went ahead and bought it because hell it's 12.49, looks pretty good, I like 40k stuff and calmly mowing down horrible monsters with the click of a mouse is very zen for me

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

ELEX II is looking much the same as ELEX, with a jetpack. Also gotta love PB sharing such rough gameplay footage, sound desync and all. In these days of slick marketing campaigns, I appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq6gW0CSw7U

Looks like it will partially be the same map as the first, there are new areas shown, but the end section of footage takes place in the desert from the first game which is now green.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Xander77 posted:

As usual during these sales, I'm handing out games:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, mention your favorite genre(s), get a game. In return, write a brief review here and \ or ride the Gift Train.

If you got a game last year \ before that and neither rode nor wrote, make amends now. I definitely remember and care about whether or not you did.

(Kinda forgot about this for a few days, being busy IRL)

I suppose I might as well take a bite at the apple.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198068815387

I'm kind of a mixed bag on genres but I suppose ARPGs, Survival, Strategy are what i've spent the most time in/played recently.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 1, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Heat Signature's problem is that it's way, way, way too long and I don't think there's a person alive who didn't get burnt out on it at least once before completing a full run. That said, the story isn't nearly as much a focal point as it was in Gunpoint, the fun is pretty much entirely in the moment to moment gameplay and getting new unlocks to more reliably be able to buy and use. So the best part of the game is around the middle, after you've gotten some good unlocks but before the fatigue has set in. The integrated friends list stuff to rescue captured characters or get a bigger pool of hand-me-down items is also great if you know anyone who plays it.

Doing your best to play the daily challenge run character once you have a handle on things is a good way to mix it up. There are also extra crazy ways in which you can tackle some assignments, like dogfighting; an almost entirely undocumented feature (because the legwork required to do it is rarely if ever actually worth it, but it's fun).

Just don't buy the rammer pod for yourself unless you're prepared for it to get you loving killed because it will loving kill you. It got nerfed to near uselessness in an update a while back.

You also totally don't have to do an entire run -- you can just choose to go out in a blaze of glory and start playing w/ a new character but some saved progress. I've never finished a full galaxy campaign but have played it a ton and I would totally recommend it at that price. Also yeah -- between ship kills were definitely one of the big holy poo poo this game opened up moments for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

this looks neat but apparently is held back by its controls and tedious minigames

https://store.steampowered.com/app/366910/The_Long_Journey_Home/

$2

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

guess i'll wait for a deeper discount, cause i am curious about it. the setting sounds pretty cool (derelict space cathedral?)

That's sort of one of the level types but there are several others. However the detail in the levels is not really a standout feature of Martyr, they look like what they're supposed to be but not much more than that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

a derelict space ship roguelike shooter, sounds good

is it?

Cryptark, another sub $5 game

At <$5 this almost isn't even worth writing and you should just see what you think yourself, but I didn't play much of it because it felt like a 10/10 design document followed up by a 6/10 execution. the biggest issue is that the visuals were not designed for clarity in an action game whatsoever, so enemies/bits of debris/hazards don't "pop" in your peripheral vision at all and it's extremely easy to get hit by things you weren't staring at directly. everything takes far too much direct attention to play by reflex/instinct. Your first screenshot is a good example: note how the player, the several types of enemies, the walls, and the module are all a very similar color palette and contrast.

I did 3 runs and on every single one, the last mission had 2-3 modules spread out over the giant ship that would each regularly spawn a boss and were protected by multiple other distant modules that had to be destroyed first in a limited time to get rid of them. this would be neat for a final challenge except the game apparently lacked basic pathfinding for the bosses and they would literally just noclip through walls to get to me whenever they weren't onscreen (they were marked on the map and would visibly phase right through walls until they were close), so the entire time it was spawning bosses almost as fast as they could be killed because they didn't have to spend time traveling back after the last one died. this was exhausting in a bad way and winning brought more of a sense of relief that it was over than satisfaction.

that said, the game feel is extremely good and despite my complaints I'm interested in the FPS sequel the devs are making called GUNHEAD.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 1, 2021

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Last week the free epic game (Horizon Chase Turbo) reminded me of an old arcade game I remembered playing for... way too long. Quarters dumped like I was farming a slot machine. It was a racing game with the same sort of visual perspective and style as Horizon Chase Turbo but you were driving across the United States instead of a track. I can't even remember the name of the game anymore, but I was hoping to find a remake or something similar to it but I'm not having any luck. Anyone know of something like that?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Demoncrawl now has a multiplayer mode. It's in Open Beta for now. (The game is half off, too.)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I guess preferably a sci fi game with team/ship management. I like the progression in FTL, but I think it could also work in something longer term. Think XCOM, where you build a base and get attached to your team over a long campaign (except with different gameplay).
I´m not sure if you own it or you already know about it but I highly recommend Star Traders: Frontiers https://store.steampowered.com/app/335620/Star_Traders_Frontiers/

It´s basically as close as you can get to a Rogue Trader game without the Warhammer 40k license, it´s great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

nessin posted:

Last week the free epic game (Horizon Chase Turbo) reminded me of an old arcade game I remembered playing for... way too long. Quarters dumped like I was farming a slot machine. It was a racing game with the same sort of visual perspective and style as Horizon Chase Turbo but you were driving across the United States instead of a track. I can't even remember the name of the game anymore, but I was hoping to find a remake or something similar to it but I'm not having any luck. Anyone know of something like that?

How old? Could be Cruisin' USA, could be Outrun

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

nessin posted:

Horizon Chase Turbo is pretty much directly based on OutRun, one of the granddaddies of arcade racing games. The first game was sort of a generic across-the-world type situation, but the sequel, Turbo Outrun, showed a map of the US as you drove.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

nessin posted:

Cruis'n USA?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Xander77 posted:

As usual during these sales, I'm handing out games:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, mention your favorite genre(s), get a game. In return, write a brief review here and \ or ride the Gift Train.

If you got a game last year \ before that and neither rode nor wrote, make amends now. I definitely remember and care about whether or not you did.

(Kinda forgot about this for a few days, being busy IRL)

Since I wrote my first review I'm double-dipping, you mentioned having platformers so I will go with that, pure platformer, action platformer, gimmick platformer, whatever. If you don't want to give two games to the same person that's fine too though, of course, but as a dedicated recycler/reuser, cheap motherfucker and borderline hoarder I will shamelessly ask again, and probably keep asking unless you put me in my place.

nessin posted:

I assume you aren't talking about Cruisin' USA?

Also, here's a short video with an only triple A focus. I am guessing almost everyone here has played the majority of these games but it could be useful. I hadn't heard of all of these, especially the bundle sales.

There is also a full spreadsheet of the suggestions here with 145 suggestions: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AT_gsAOhsoYeG1kSAzigidAwHa3gvoorW65LeOXu54g/edit#gid=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd7u3R_wEoU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rinkles posted:

this looks neat but apparently is held back by its controls and tedious minigames

$2
Richard Cobbett apparently gave up on games journalism to write this.

In other news - apparently Fabled Lands is sort of a real game now? I loved the original CYOA series, so I'd love to know if anyone played this.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 1, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Richard Cobbett apparently gave up on games journalism to write this.

Oh right I heard he was involved. I knew I'd seen the game somewhere before.

I think he moved on from writing about games partially out of necessity. RPS for instance didn't want him anymore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´m not sure if you own it or you already know about it but I highly recommend Star Traders: Frontiers https://store.steampowered.com/app/335620/Star_Traders_Frontiers/

It´s basically as close as you can get to a Rogue Trader game without the Warhammer 40k license, it´s great.

No and thanks for showing it to me. Looks rad, but do you think it's maybe a bit too complicated for someone that's not great at spreadsheeting in games?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Xander77 posted:

In other news - apparently Fabled Lands is sort of a real game now? I loved the original CYOA series, so I'd love to know if anyone played this.

I played it just for a short time, it works pretty much exactly as you'd expect except with some art, music and a primitive combat system. TONS of skill checks that are not at all forgiving. It's definitely got the old school vibes still there, I died on my very first combat encounter lol.

Not really my thing to be honest, and it's also not completely finished yet, but if you loved the original series I don't see why you wouldn't like the adaptation. It seems pretty faithful although I'm just going on general feel as I have never played those CYOA books.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I picked up Murder By Numbers https://store.steampowered.com/app/1140290/Murder_by_Numbers/ on a whim because some other goons recommended it. It's picross. With a clearly Ace Attorney-inspired murder mystery as a framing story sort of thing. It's pretty neat, the art is great. There is no cross-examination or anything like in those games, the only real gameplay is picross and presenting items to other characters now and then, but if that sounds good to you this game is a good implementation of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

$2

Can confirm, I gave up on it after struggling with the orbital landing mini-game for 20 minutes.