Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Drakkel posted:

The issue is what does Britt do after that? They get a few weeks doing the the Nyla feud, then Yuka is there but they already said she's only in the states through July so at best that feud can only really amount to "Yuka shows up, Britt beats her, Yuka leaves again." That leaves like a full 5 months until Rosa is free to sign with AEW, so what do they do til then?

Tay has beaten Britt in a tag match. She never had a match with Kris Statlander that she was meant to last year, Riho is an easy defense option, Big Swole won their feud last year. If Anna is returning soon she's an option too.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Drakkel posted:

The issue is what does Britt do after that? They get a few weeks doing the the Nyla feud, then Yuka is there but they already said she's only in the states through July so at best that feud can only really amount to "Yuka shows up, Britt beats her, Yuka leaves again." That leaves like a full 5 months until Rosa is free to sign with AEW, so what do they do til then?

Riho and Kris Statlander are both back and neither challenged Shida for the belt. There's also Big Swole and Red Velvet. And Tay. and so on. Like AEW absolutely should be doing more with their womens division but the problem isnt they don't have challengers for the title

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
also, like, aew's women's division is only cold on tv.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

i think it's a huge overreaction to say aew isn't going to sign any more women or that their mistakes are the true reality while the high points for the division are false and don't mean anything. there needs to be a stronger voice advocating for women and actual focus on them that makes sense in aew for sure but there will be a lot of great moments to come. there will be a lot of everything. will smith killed tupac

He just makes art folks. So effortless.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who laid out Moxley in the back that one time

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kenta.

but not that one.

Kenta Kobashi.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

We never found out but I think it was meant to be Hangman.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Kenta.

but not that one.

Kenta Kobashi.

he distracted mox by doing an idol dance and then chopped him so hard mox passed out

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

that kid's a drat menace

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Worth noting that the ENTIRE advertising campaign for the Dynamite/Rampage episodes in Pittsburgh is BRITT BAKER DMD.

Like the email I got was a giant picture of Britt in front of Pittsburgh with RAMPAGE and DYNAMITE ticket links in front of her. That shows a lotta faith in her, even if she's obviously going to help sell tickets since she's from Pittsburgh.

Also if you need 5 months of challenges for Britt, you could definitely do:

Abadon stuff (how can you put the Lockjaw on someone that WILL bite you?)
Britt vs Red Velvet, with Velvet saying she's been racking up wins for months
Britt vs Jade Cargill (if you wanna turn Britt face or semi-face)
Britt vs Tay Conti with Tay showing how much she's improved in just a year, or maybe even being mentored by Shida directly

I'm dumb as hell so AEW would do better than me, but there's plenty of opportunity for fun and fresh matchups.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shard posted:

He just makes art folks. So effortless.

Every cavauro post takes a team of 30 people working 70 hour weeks for 6-8 months, please stop insulting their effort.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think Nyla was the perfect choice for the NBA pre-emption era women’s title feud for Britt.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Build some more challengers? You know, the thing AEW is actually really good at?

In the men's division sure. For women? I don't think they've really done that since the Shida/Nyla feud. Everything after that's been pretty much a foregone conclusion from the start. Most of Shida's feuds from that point on had little to no story other than some random run-ins here and there, the feud with Britt basically made it clear Shida had no chance of retaining whatsoever from the start, and now we're on to cheeseburger parties and manager matches.

Is it better than the haunted doll fights and mind control stuff that WWE is doing right now? 100%! But what frustrates me is AEW proves time and time again they are capable of doing great story and character stuff with every other division except this one and I don't get why.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm dumb as hell so AEW would do better than me, but there's plenty of opportunity for fun and fresh matchups.

Give Diamante a run :hai:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

Every cavauro post takes a team of 30 people working 70 hour weeks for 6-8 months, please stop insulting their effort.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pylons posted:

We never found out but I think it was meant to be Hangman.

drat you're right

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Drakkel posted:

The issue is what does Britt do after that?

lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't see how on earth you could argue that Tay wasn't a well-built challenger for Shida. Or Ryo, for that matter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

In the men's division sure. For women? I don't think they've really done that since the Shida/Nyla feud. Everything after that's been pretty much a foregone conclusion from the start. Most of Shida's feuds from that point on had little to no story other than some random run-ins here and there, the feud with Britt basically made it clear Shida had no chance of retaining whatsoever from the start, and now we're on to cheeseburger parties and manager matches.

Is it better than the haunted doll fights and mind control stuff that WWE is doing right now? 100%! But what frustrates me is AEW proves time and time again they are capable of doing great story and character stuff with every other division except this one and I don't get why.

They did a giant tournament for a challenger.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm surprised at all the love for the IIconics. They seem like cool people and I remember them being pretty entertaining before I quit watching WWE, but I wouldn't call the must-haves or anything.

But hey, maybe I missed out on a lot of good poo poo from them!

they did comedy in wwe and it worked and was funny

Dango Bango posted:

Even more of note, I'm listening to this now and Anna re-tore her labrum :(

gahhh :(

i asked this a couple months ago and the serious answer that was agreed upon was the good brothers

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Ok, and then Britt faces more challengers that are built up, eventually loses the title, retires after a 15 year in ring career. THEN what????

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

karmicknight posted:

Hangman is going to kick out of the one-winged angel but lose.

this is where my money is.

i dont think he wins it without kicking out. that said, i dont think hes getting it this round either

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Drakkel posted:

If you wanna be this nitpicky you could say the exact same thing about, say, Mox or Darby or especially Cody in their respective title runs. Hell, Cody made a whole thing of just defending against random people with little to no build.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It was Vince McMahon who knobbled Moxley, it was him all along.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

It was funny when the puro guy stormed in here ready to defend the sanctity of korakuen

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That was such a good dynamite

Every time they include Brodie Lee in a video package though I get sad as gently caress :smith:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

He makes every post with barely a thought and every single one lands. He's just that good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drakkel posted:

AEW does silly matches for serious characters in the men’s divisions all the time. They also generally don’t do surprise booking in the men’s divisions.

I think generally the women don’t get enough time but they do a lot with the time they have, and hopefully rampage gives them more time to work and highlight some of those stories.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

God it's Thursday. The post Dynamite discussions are going strong this time.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

So there's a mixed tag next week. Intergender wrestling: Good? or bad? I'll hang up and listen.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I would love if Rampage helped solved the problems I have with the way AEW handles the women's division.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The main issue with the perceived lack of building to women's storylines compared to the men is that, on Dynamite, 4/5 matches are between the men, which means that you can toss a challenger you want to build in the background on TV in a nothing match, and they still get wins, whereas the women's division gets 1 match, so their challengers have the options of nothing matches to build a streak/confidence/etc, or TV time. They only have 2 hours, and a division of lower midcarders gets 10 (maybe 15) minutes of it.

Here's hoping Rampage fixes that, but that's what I find the issue in this particular case to be. Honestly, I'm just happy when they announce a women's match for the next week.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

yea ok posted:

So there's a mixed tag next week. Intergender wrestling: Good? or bad? I'll hang up and listen.

It does not necessarily follow that there will be intergender wrestling in a mixed-tag. For an example, see the only other mixed-tag match in AEW history, where Shaq and Jade defeated Cody and Red Velvet.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Mr. Squishy posted:

It does not necessarily follow that there will be intergender wrestling in a mixed-tag. For an example, see the only other mixed-tag match in AEW history, where Shaq and Jade defeated Cody and Red Velvet.

That is Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford vs Kenny Omega and Riho erasure.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

yea ok posted:

They’re gonna work it the same as the shaq match where they just tag in and out for their respective opponent I expect.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Senerio posted:

That is Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford vs Kenny Omega and Riho erasure.

That match took place on international waters.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They're gonna work it the exact same as that match, spot for spot. Orange Cassidy will be Shaq.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

God it's Thursday. The post Dynamite discussions are going strong this time.

It's okay, if my calculations are correct we'll have another Dynamite on Friday and one more on Saturday to smooth things over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr. Squishy posted:

There was also Omega and Riho v. Kip and Penelope, which had intergender wrestling. That only partially counts since it was basically a dark match on the Jericho cruise but they did air it on Dynamite after the fact.

I still expect it'll follow the Shaq match rules instead

(edit) beaten