Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

Okay so I have been learning and fighting me some coolant hoses off the coolant pipe and I have all of em but one beat, a rounded out hex surrendered easily with an impact and a shimmy of electrical tape and I was thinking I would be done today

behold, the bastard

That sticky out bit on the pipe- I can't get the hose clamps over it, and I can't retreat them far enough the other way because there's an obstruction preventing me from sliding the hose clamp down far enough

I tried sticking vice grips on the clamp to hold it open but then I don't have enough room to sneak something down between the hose and the pipe to break the seal

Cut the fucker off with a hacksaw or is there a trick? Cut the clamp or cut the sticky out bit? I tried wiggling that little poo poo every way and I can't figure out how it went on in the first place

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5JM0O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

I can get pliers to the clamp lever arm things well enough to squeeze them right in till they hit each other, it's not big enough- unless this somehow makes them go further?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

I can get pliers to the clamp lever arm things well enough to squeeze them right in till they hit each other, it's not big enough- unless this somehow makes them go further?

Can you squeeze the clamp AND have access to get a pick, small flat head, etc to slip inside the hose to break it free and then, with the hose clamp all the way open still be able to push the hose off? Because that's what I use those for on hoses that are two swollen to move the clamp. In a lot of cases without those you're fighting around whatever you're holding the clamp open with to do those other things.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

net work error posted:

Hello thread I am back for more punishment.

I took Motronic's advice and have been looking into the fuel system as the possible culprit for the cars engine turning over but not starting.

Fuel pump fuse looked good. When setting the key to ignition you can hear the fuel pump relay click but the fuel pump is not priming. I tried giving the fuel tank a thump with a rubber mallot but that did not help the car turn on. Also checked the plug for power and although I did not have great ground I was reading about 11.5V when turning the key.

I gave the intake a little squirt of starting fluid and it did turn on before dying a second or two after.
At this point it seems like the culprit is a dead fuel pump right? Or is it possible I'm forgetting something else to check?

The fuel pumps on these cars do not have a valve to do a pressure reading off of. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to test with and from what I saw a Hyundai forum, this gen car requires a Hyundai specific tool to run that test.

Sure sounds suspect to me. I would crack the fuel line at the rail and cycle the key and see if you get any fuel flow there.

e: I'd also get your battery on a tender because all this cranking is going to have left it pretty low (you already mentioned reading 11.5v) so it may not have enough juice to start it once you get it fixed up.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

net work error posted:

I gave the intake a little squirt of starting fluid and it did turn on before dying a second or two after.
At this point it seems like the culprit is a dead fuel pump right? Or is it possible I'm forgetting something else to check?

The fuel pumps on these cars do not have a valve to do a pressure reading off of. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to test with and from what I saw a Hyundai forum, this gen car requires a Hyundai specific tool to run that test.

Replacing an in-tank fuel pump is a massive pain in the rear end, especially for a home mechanic. If it was my car, I'd take it to a shop rather than attempting it myself. (It's also the sort of job that can result in your shop/house burning to the ground.)

Here's a youtube video that should hopefully scare you away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMk5l3ukvN8

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ehh if there's an access hatch (so you don't have to drop the tank) it's not a horrible job.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Motronic posted:

Can you squeeze the clamp AND have access to get a pick, small flat head, etc to slip inside the hose to break it free and then, with the hose clamp all the way open still be able to push the hose off? Because that's what I use those for on hoses that are two swollen to move the clamp. In a lot of cases without those you're fighting around whatever you're holding the clamp open with to do those other things.

I can get the clamp seemingly as far open as it goes, hands free with some vice grips but couldn't manage to wiggle in something between the pipe and the hose deep enough to get around the end of the pipe given the constriction of the clamp at the top- there's a lot of pipe inside the hose- I guess I will try and hunt out some better shims and give it another go in the morning, thanks

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

opengl128 posted:

Ehh if there's an access hatch (so you don't have to drop the tank) it's not a horrible job.

OK, well that is less sketch than siphoning gas and dropping the tank in your driveway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ryanrs posted:

Replacing an in-tank fuel pump is a massive pain in the rear end, especially for a home mechanic. If it was my car, I'd take it to a shop rather than attempting it myself. (It's also the sort of job that can result in your shop/house burning to the ground.)

Here's a youtube video that should hopefully scare you away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMk5l3ukvN8

Weird that there isn't an access panel on the 626, there was on the 323 / Protege and it was very easy to do. Anyway if you can access it from under the seat cushion it's not that hard. Or you can cut a hole there 💩

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hi!

I have a 2015 Scion TC and recently I've noticed that it seems like the AC is on all the time. Was hard to tell in the winter, but now I'll get in and have the windows down on an 80 degree day and the air coming out of the vents is super chilled. I'm glad the AC seems to work but I generally don't use it and I can't seem to turn it off.

Anyone hear ever of something similar?

Note: The AC on/off light does work, it just doesn't seem to make any difference.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

I can get the clamp seemingly as far open as it goes, hands free with some vice grips but couldn't manage to wiggle in something between the pipe and the hose deep enough to get around the end of the pipe given the constriction of the clamp at the top- there's a lot of pipe inside the hose- I guess I will try and hunt out some better shims and give it another go in the morning, thanks

Can you nip the spring clamp with cutters? I know my knipex cobolt would do it, but normal cutters might not like the spring steel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Your AC compressor clutch may be seized closed.

Can you see the compressor easily from under the hood? Check if it's spinning all the time regardless of the AC button's position. Also note that in almost all modern cars selecting defrost will turn on the AC regardless of the AC button position.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

opengl128 posted:

Sure sounds suspect to me. I would crack the fuel line at the rail and cycle the key and see if you get any fuel flow there.

e: I'd also get your battery on a tender because all this cranking is going to have left it pretty low (you already mentioned reading 11.5v) so it may not have enough juice to start it once you get it fixed up.

I'll give that a try as well. I do plan on taking the battery to get charged up again tomorrow since it's been getting abused a bit with these tests.

opengl128 posted:

Luckily this car lets you access the pump right from a hole in the trunk under the liner so definitely not as bad as one where you would have to drop the tank. Taking a peek at it, the worst part is going to be dealing with some of the rust on the screws so I will have to apply some PB Blaster more than likely.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Motronic posted:

Your AC compressor clutch may be seized closed.

Can you see the compressor easily from under the hood? Check if it's spinning all the time regardless of the AC button's position. Also note that in almost all modern cars selecting defrost will turn on the AC regardless of the AC button position.

No idea! But I have something to check out so I'll do a little digging and report back.

Thanks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

pro starcraft loser posted:

No idea! But I have something to check out so I'll do a little digging and report back.

Thanks.

Yeah what position is the vent switch in? Not just defrost but some cars turn on the a/c starting in the foot vent only position. I don't know why.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

net work error posted:

I'll give that a try as well. I do plan on taking the battery to get charged up again tomorrow since it's been getting abused a bit with these tests.

Luckily this car lets you access the pump right from a hole in the trunk under the liner so definitely not as bad as one where you would have to drop the tank. Taking a peek at it, the worst part is going to be dealing with some of the rust on the screws so I will have to apply some PB Blaster more than likely.

I found a stream-of-consciousness article that contains a litany of things you might check. https://itstillruns.com/how-to-check-for-fuel-delivery-in-a-hyundai-sonata-12142364.html

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I found a stream-of-consciousness article that contains a litany of things you might check. https://itstillruns.com/how-to-check-for-fuel-delivery-in-a-hyundai-sonata-12142364.html

Nice, thanks! I had found this article which was helping me out as well: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Hyundai-Sonata-fuel-pump.html

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Charles posted:

I've had speed bleeders work fine for me but the person asking is replacing a whole bunch of components, so I think getting a proper pressure bleeder is the best choice. Also see if there's any special procedure for an ABS car, my mechanic had difficulty with that on my Mazda (despite my suggestion of that likely being an issue).

Depending what model it is, you might be able to use FORscan to trigger an ABS pump bleed cycle. The mobile version ($6 for Android) works fine with most generic OBD2 adapters, and can trigger the ABS pump.

Pressure bleeder is always the best choice, but sometimes even those can't get the air out without cycling the pump.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

One of my favorite features ever on a car was on my ~'06 Scion xB - there was some method to trigger that bleed cycle without tools. It was insanely nice to replace all the brake hardware, then get in the car and [I don't remember what the method was, probably key on / key off or something], step on the brake pedal, and feel them bleed themselves. All cars should have that. (Sounds like more do, but that was my first experience with it.)

edit: Hilariously, googling now yields absolutely no evidence the above is true, but it absolutely did happen. I remember the intense sensation of relief quite clearly because I always hated bleeding brakes.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 1, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

One of my favorite features ever on a car was on my ~'06 Scion xB - there was some method to trigger that bleed cycle without tools. It was insanely nice to replace all the brake hardware, then get in the car and [I don't remember what the method was, probably key on / key off or something], step on the brake pedal, and feel them bleed themselves. All cars should have that. (Sounds like more do, but that was my first experience with it.)

edit: Hilariously, googling now yields absolutely no evidence the above is true, but it absolutely did happen. I remember the intense sensation of relief quite clearly because I always hated bleeding brakes.

You seem to be confusing an ABS bleed cycle with bleeding brakes. There is no way to get air out of lines/calipers without opening the bleeders.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

You seem to be confusing an ABS bleed cycle with bleeding brakes. There is no way to get air out of lines/calipers without opening the bleeders.
Yeah. Sorry, by "without tools", I meant the bleed cycle was triggered without (something like FORScan). The bleeders absolutely still had to be opened.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

2000 Sienna is too low-tech to need computer help bleeding the ABS. Repair manual just has you bleed the calipers (though if you let the master cylinder suck air, you have to bleed that separately). Everything I'm touching is downstream of the ABS module anyway.

But speaking of computer wizardry, the van has an intermittent ABS fault. Possibly it's just getting confused when I drive on dirt, but I suspect it's more serious than that (light has been coming on more and more often).

What's the best tool to pull fault codes from a 2000 Toyota Sienna? Needs to play well with iphone/mac, and it would be cool if it worked with the iphone only, and without a cell signal. I've been in situations where it would have been nice to pull codes while out in the wilderness.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

2000 Sienna is too low-tech to need computer help bleeding the ABS. Repair manual just has you bleed the calipers (though if you let the master cylinder suck air, you have to bleed that separately). Everything I'm touching is downstream of the ABS module anyway.

But speaking of computer wizardry, the van has an intermittent ABS fault. Possibly it's just getting confused when I drive on dirt, but I suspect it's more serious than that (light has been coming on more and more often).

What's the best tool to pull fault codes from a 2000 Toyota Sienna? Needs to play well with iphone/mac, and it would be cool if it worked with the iphone only, and without a cell signal. I've been in situations where it would have been nice to pull codes while out in the wilderness.
I've been really happy with this dongle and OBDFusion.

There's an updated version of the Veepeak dongle which uses BT instead of Wifi on iOS, but I haven't seen the need to upgrade.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My dad drove like 30 miles yesterday and I noticed when he got back this bracket has basically rusted itself 99% off. I don't know much about his jeep so is this safe to drive to a mechanic without this thing? I'm sure they'll be looking to replace a lot of the rusty parts here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rexxed posted:

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My dad drove like 30 miles yesterday and I noticed when he got back this bracket has basically rusted itself 99% off. I don't know much about his jeep so is this safe to drive to a mechanic without this thing? I'm sure they'll be looking to replace a lot of the rusty parts here.

That's a trailing arm mount and no, I wouldn't drive that. I doubt it will ever be driven again to be honest.

This is not an opinion from someone who isn't used to rust. I live in the northeast. That just looks like it's too far gone to be economically viable to repair.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

That just looks like it's too far gone to be economically viable to repair.

Unless you're Ken and are willing to weld one together from a pile of scrap parts that just happen to be exactly the right shape and size.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looks like the piece hanging down is in front of the axle, just a chunk of the fuel tank skidplate, but yeah, the what i believe is a rear frame stiffener bracket is completely gone and has been for some time by the look of it.

Get under there and poke around the frame rails. I'm guessing you can probably put a finger through them at this point, at which point the vehicle is probably scrap.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'll poke around at it, I know that it's pretty rusty but didn't think it was in that bad shape until it started coming apart. I probably live within 100 miles of you motronic (I'm just over the delaware in NJ) so I'm sure you're spot on.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That's pretty sad for an '08 to be so far gone. Looks like Jeep had particularly bad rustproofing in that era. I have a German car from a few years later in the rust belt, parked outside a lot of the time, and it's nowhere near as bad.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Turns out Hyundai discontinued the fuel pump and housing parts for this make Sonata. :argh: I could maybe replace just the pump in the housing but I figure if the thing is out it's best to change it all.

Is there a trusted brand for a universal option? I'm guessing it would be to stick with something like Bosch or similar and avoid Autocraft?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

net work error posted:

Turns out Hyundai discontinued the fuel pump and housing parts for this make Sonata. :argh: I could maybe replace just the pump in the housing but I figure if the thing is out it's best to change it all.

Is there a trusted brand for a universal option? I'm guessing it would be to stick with something like Bosch or similar and avoid Autocraft?
You might be able to get it from Rock Auto. They are known to buy lots of discontinued parts, close outs and whatnot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Inner Light posted:

That's pretty sad for an '08 to be so far gone. Looks like Jeep had particularly bad rustproofing in that era. I have a German car from a few years later in the rust belt, parked outside a lot of the time, and it's nowhere near as bad.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. He's not the first owner but I think he got it in 2013 and it's been in the garage 99% of the time. He doesn't drive it regularly since he's in his 80s.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Yeah it's pretty crazy. He's not the first owner but I think he got it in 2013 and it's been in the garage 99% of the time. He doesn't drive it regularly since he's in his 80s.

Aww, that sucks. But honestly, driving it in the salt and then parking it in a garage is like....probably worse than driving it regularly so the bottom gets cleaner-ish. I mean, unless you're hosing the bottom off after driving (I'm very tempted to get drive-over ground sprays).

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Why are windows so loving expensive. Me being an idiot, wanting to save money, and being clueless as to how much it would cost to replace a window, raised my comprehensive deductible a month ago. Cue me getting a big loving crack in my front window. I've been quoted anywhere from $900 to $1300 to fix it. A loving window. What the hell. It's not in my line of sight so I'm probably gonna leave it there because I can't afford that right now. /rant.

Serious question. It looks like ~1/2 the cost of the window is recalibration. I have a 2020 Forester with all the stupid poo poo they put in cars these days. I only use it because I have it, I'm very happy living without it (unless it means no cruise control). Can I just pay for the new window and skip the recalibration nonsense?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

You might be able to get it from Rock Auto. They are known to buy lots of discontinued parts, close outs and whatnot.

I checked Rock Auto earlier and they didn't have it either. :(
I did find a replacement that fits by a brand called Auto7 which is a Korean company so that seems like a good move.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

yoohoo posted:

Why are windows so loving expensive. Me being an idiot, wanting to save money, and being clueless as to how much it would cost to replace a window, raised my comprehensive deductible a month ago. Cue me getting a big loving crack in my front window. I've been quoted anywhere from $900 to $1300 to fix it. A loving window. What the hell. It's not in my line of sight so I'm probably gonna leave it there because I can't afford that right now. /rant.

Serious question. It looks like ~1/2 the cost of the window is recalibration. I have a 2020 Forester with all the stupid poo poo they put in cars these days. I only use it because I have it, I'm very happy living without it (unless it means no cruise control). Can I just pay for the new window and skip the recalibration nonsense?

it'll throw an error all the time so just go ahead and get it calibrated

do you not have a separate glass deductible? in my experience most policies do

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

net work error posted:

I checked Rock Auto earlier and they didn't have it either. :(
I did find a replacement that fits by a brand called Auto7 which is a Korean company so that seems like a good move.

If you do decide to do this, replace the tank gasket.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it'll throw an error all the time so just go ahead and get it calibrated

do you not have a separate glass deductible? in my experience most policies do

Unfortunately my policy does not. I just got off the phone with Geico and it falls under comprehensive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

yoohoo posted:

Unfortunately my policy does not. I just got off the phone with Geico and it falls under comprehensive.

Did you tell the companies you called that you're not claiming this under insurance? The prices usually decrease dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

Motronic posted:

Did you tell the companies you called that you're not claiming this under insurance? The prices usually decrease dramatically.

I did not but that's good to know. Is there anything I should look for/avoid? Or can I assume all glass repair folks will be about the same?

edit: thanks in advance. I've never dealt with this before.