Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like that doesn't have precedent for Dungeons and Dragons as a franchise. And besides, I imagine given it's a deliberately generic fantasy setting, and that D&D characters are literal self-inserts, it probably needs a gimmick like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Making a D&D movie without Vin Diesel seems like a huge miss to me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The final reveal is that it's actually a game of dnd being played and Vin Diesel is the DM behind the cardboard screen with the cool dragon painted on it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

That aside, what a boring-looking party. No crow people? No lizard men? Tossing a pair of horns on someone is no substitute :colbert:

I feel like the fatal flaw of D&D as a setting is that over the years they have added literally everything you can imagine into D&D, but if you show a scene and it's a bunch of wolfmen fighting levitating evil embryos with shotguns and a robot is there that might be cool, but no one will register it as D&D.

Like it has to be a wizard/fighter/cleric/rouge fighting a red dragon or there is no real signifier that it's D&D instead of any other fantasy setting ever made. Like D&D despite being the broadest thing imaginable is only recognizable as itself by being the most generic thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That's why they should do a Spelljammer or Dark Sun movie, that way it's a specific D&D setting instead of generic D&D movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The final reveal is that it's actually a game of dnd being played and Vin Diesel is the DM behind the cardboard screen with the cool dragon painted on it.

One member of the party is Dame Judi Dench still trying to learn the game since he first told her about it on the set of Riddick: Chronicles of Riddick.

nowwhat
Jan 10, 2015

ButtWolf posted:

Just catching to the thread but
John Weeeeeeee-ck

This looks great tp me.

why does everyone compare it to John Wick, when it is clearly Taken?

Baken

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

This looks worse with each trailer:
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1410629552087445505

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

feedmyleg posted:

poo poo. That umbrella picture makes me think they're doing the meta "players get sucked in the world" nonsense rather than just giving us a straight fantasy movie. I mean, it could just be goofing around on set, but I don't have high hopes.

That aside, what a boring-looking party. No crow people? No lizard men? Tossing a pair of horns on someone is no substitute :colbert:

or you know

it's hot out

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have concluded that the Space Jam 2 creative team's entire understanding from Looney Toons comes from Walmart t-shirts in the 90s.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

In that case, every NPC character had better also be played by Vin Diesel.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

does anyone even wear puffy vests anymore

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Robot Style posted:

In that case, every NPC character had better also be played by Vin Diesel.

"I don't need gold dragons."

*Vin clones come out*

"I got family"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

For some reason I thought Space Jam 2 had already come and gone. Like, there are movies you read about and suddenly you go "Wait, that came out already?" Space Jam 2 is exactly that kind of movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

All of the jokes and references in one of the recent ads are fifteen to twenty years old. At one point I think it's Porky walks out dressed like loving Doctor Evil.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Alan Smithee posted:

Hey Biff, get a load of this guy's life preserver. Dork thinks he's gonna drown.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's why they should do a Spelljammer or Dark Sun movie, that way it's a specific D&D setting instead of generic D&D movie.

Agreed. Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Planescape, any number of specific settings. Just because the popular conception of D&D is a Tolkien-esque high fantasy setting doesn't mean that's what they have to do. But watch it be exactly what they do.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I wear a puffy jacket.

I never saw the point of vests in general, unless they life vests.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Just give us a Pathfinder movie instead. Make it about a slave uprising against a cabal of Numerian tech-wizards, or if you want to play it safe set it in the literal ASoIaF ripoff country next door and give us an ending to GoT that doesn't loving suck.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

All of the jokes and references in one of the recent ads are fifteen to twenty years old.

https://twitter.com/spacejammovie/status/1410629277947596802

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cool. this is the worst tweet I've ever seen. thanks

E: oh, nevermind

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So bad

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

To be fair, this scene will probably still somehow be better than anything in the new matrix movie coming out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Who the gently caress is this movie for?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Matrix jokes were stale when Shrek did them two decades ago.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Seriously. This movie referencing The Matrix would be like the 1996 original referencing...I don't know, Rollerball.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Maybe to save development time they only used discarded concepts from Looney Tunes: Back in Action which is why both these scenes feel like they time traveled directly from 2001?

E: Since it’s about the internet maybe they will make a funny joke about the dial up login sound??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xealot posted:

Seriously. This movie referencing The Matrix would be like the 1996 original referencing...I don't know, Rollerball.

It'd be something even earlier from 1971, so THX 1138 or Andromeda Strain or Silent Running

EDIT: or Clockwork Orange ................. which Space Jam 2 is referencing anyway. :v:

They fuckin' saw our complaints coming a mile away and outmaneuvered us a year ago, they win this round. :(

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 2, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was on a big Joe Dante kick a few years ago and watched Looney Tunes: Back in Action blind. I found out afterwards he was miserable the whole time because of studio interference, and it pushed him into semi-retirement.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

To be fair, this scene will probably still somehow be better than anything in the new matrix movie coming out.

I still lol that the two returning characters are the two that absolutely 100% zero ambiguity on-screen for a long time perished in the previous movie

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Xealot posted:

Agreed. Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Planescape, any number of specific settings. Just because the popular conception of D&D is a Tolkien-esque high fantasy setting doesn't mean that's what they have to do. But watch it be exactly what they do.

I have to believe that an Eberron movie would be a license to print money and not making one is the result of a curse or monkey paw situation. "Robot wizard fights dragon on back of lightning powered steampunk train" should be the starting point of every film written, including documentaries.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"Hey kids Space Jam 2 has a Justice League reference! You remember JL don't you?"

"No

"naw"

"no"

"nope"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

poo poo. That umbrella picture makes me think they're doing the meta "players get sucked in the world" nonsense rather than just giving us a straight fantasy movie. I mean, it could just be goofing around on set, but I don't have high hopes.

It could just be umbrellas are a thing that exists in Faerun now?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

As long as Lana Wachowski makes it countless cyber kung fu scenes in between bizarre philosophizing...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

All of the jokes and references in one of the recent ads are fifteen to twenty years old. At one point I think it's Porky walks out dressed like loving Doctor Evil.

If there is not a single Tails Gets Trolled reference, smh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Xealot posted:

Why does no one ever want a Blackmoor movie??

With Vin Diesel as The Egg of Coot

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I have to believe that an Eberron movie would be a license to print money and not making one is the result of a curse or monkey paw situation. "Robot wizard fights dragon on back of lightning powered steampunk train" should be the starting point of every film written, including documentaries.

For whatever reason WotC are very big on Forgotten Realms being the setting for this current edition- I've heard some scuttlebutt about needing to publish FR material to retain the rights from Ed Greenwood (who actually created the setting independent of xD&D at first) but that feels like something that would have been resolved earlier, but anyway, they don't put out a lot of books themselves because the D&D crew is kinda small so it's almost all FR, which is- I mean it's not a bad setting but it's very generic. I feel like they see it as the "traditional D&D" lens and something like Eberron or Planescape would be confusing. Which sucks.

My vote would be Planescape, set it in a crowded semi-Victorian torus city full of monsters and demons and other folks just going about their day. Just have Tony DiTerlizzi do all the art direction. Make it like Labyrinth, kids love that poo poo.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

My vote would be Planescape, set it in a crowded semi-Victorian torus city full of monsters and demons and other folks just going about their day.

So, Ravnica?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

But with a lot more portals elsewhere.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I still lol that the two returning characters are the two that absolutely 100% zero ambiguity on-screen for a long time perished in the previous movie

They are locked in Samsara cycle of death and rebirth, as shown when Neo meets the architect and there's like 100 Neo's on the screen. This is just Neo(1999) + 1

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1410631347576741898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Isn’t that both Alien and Aliens though?