Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think the person with very strong opinions about which brand of highly caffeinated aspartame laced imitation sugar water they pour down their gullet doesn't get to call other people goobers
Watch this after midnight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEIF_Sy-5Mk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Tunicate posted:

A Calorie is the energy needed to raise a liter of water by one degree C, and provides a conveniently sized unit that doesn't need decimals.

What's the problem?

It's better to have one unit for energy instead of two and joule is the SI one, whereas the calorie is old and obsolete, more or less only used for food for historical reasons.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

THE MOST EXPENSIVE BURGER IN THE WORLD
It's been a decade since Juicys Outlaw Grill in Oregon set the record for the world's most expensive burger with a 777-pound behemoth. Robbert Jan de Veen, the owner of Dutch diner De Daltons, thought he could do better — and with a sandwich that can be picked up with just two hands. The Golden Boy is the result. Its ingredient list reads like a who's who of rare foods from around the world, including Japanese A5 Wagyu brisket and chuck short ribs, white truffles, Beluga caviar, Paleta Iberico Bellota ham, Dom Perignon champagne in both the onion rings and saffron gold leaf bread, king crab, and BBQ sauce made using Kopi Luwak coffee and Macallan Single Malt Whisky. Described as having a complimentary but intense flavor profile, the first burger has already been sold, with the entire purchase price going to a local food bank.
Even if the ingredients all taste good together, you can't possibly get a bite that includes them all unless you unhinge your jaw like a gluttonous python.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

If your goal is money per bite above all else, why not just guzzle racehorse cum?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

thiccabod posted:

Even if the ingredients all taste good together, you can't possibly get a bite that includes them all unless you unhinge your jaw like a gluttonous python.

6100 dollars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TtXTFB0DkY

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

gold leaf is a great way of instantly knowing whether food was lovingly crafted or if it's some dumb gimmick

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

uber_stoat posted:

if you are a habitual soda addict i feel like you just drink whichever you grew up on, which for me is coke because i am from a part of the country where a lot of the time coke is just a generic term for soda.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Bloop posted:

I would gladly read that derail.

There is actually a really cheap wal*mart brand rising crust pizza that is pretty drat good if you throw a bit of seasoning on it. Less than half the price of those guys

:hmmyes: The generic rising crust pizzas have become my kryptonite, though Red Baron isn't that much more expensive if you're a purist (maybe a buck more).

Digiornio and those artisanal branded pizzas are way too much money for something I have to make effort to prepare, though.

thiccabod posted:

I can't imagine anyone would want barbecue sauce made out of civet poo poo coffee.

But then, I'm eating generic-branded Wal*Mart Pizza so obviously I just don't have the brain of a rich person. :v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RuBisCO posted:

These made me physically recoil! Thanks!

The loving hair in the sushi made me gag.

Exactly same, I was about to reply to that effect when I saw your post

So I'll just quote your post and add "like seriously what the gently caress"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Red Baron Four Cheese Rising Crust: the only real pizza in the world

For best results, dunk the crusts in Ken's Simply Vinaigrette Caesar that you've added cayenne pepper to

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

KataraniSword posted:

:hmmyes: The generic rising crust pizzas have become my kryptonite, though Red Baron isn't that much more expensive if you're a purist (maybe a buck more).

Digiornio and those artisanal branded pizzas are way too much money for something I have to make effort to prepare, though.

I can't imagine anyone would want barbecue sauce made out of civet poo poo coffee.

But then, I'm eating generic-branded Wal*Mart Pizza so obviously I just don't have the brain of a rich person. :v:

Safeway's rising crust triple pepperoni is amazing. The pepperoni is in three different shapes!

I feel like whatever subtle flavors that make civet coffee special would be lost in a bbq sauce.

How are digiornio/frechetta etc pizzas harder to make than a red barron? Its the exact same process for all of em.

I miss the Jack's frozen pizzas I used to get at Meijers in Michigan. There is a similar kind called Roma around here, but its even cheaper tasting and not in good way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mymla posted:

It's better to have one unit for energy instead of two

Right. And as people have repeatedly said, the chief strength of metric is that the melting and boiling points of water are round numbers, which means raising 1 kg of water in temperature across its entire liquid phase is a nice round 100 kcal, instead of a nonsensical 4.184 kJ.

Thus, it is clear: We should get rid of the joule.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Tunicate posted:

raising 1 kg of water in temperature across its entire liquid phase is a nice round 100 kcal

One. One kcal raises 1 kg of water 1 degree c. Food has a lot of energy in it, turns out. A gram of butter has about 30 kJ; a gram of TNT has __4__

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jul 1, 2021

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Tunicate posted:

Right. And as people have repeatedly said, the chief strength of metric is that the melting and boiling points of water are round numbers, which means raising 1 kg of water in temperature across its entire liquid phase is a nice round 100 kcal, instead of a nonsensical 4.184 kJ.

Thus, it is clear: We should get rid of the joule.

Nice try but a Joule is a Newton-metre (equivalent US customary unit is the foot-pounds I believe) and can be used to define 1W and 1V

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

exmachina posted:

Nice try but a Joule is a Newton-metre (equivalent US customary unit is the foot-pounds I believe) and can be used to define 1W and 1V

If you're working with volts, you should be using eV.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HookedOnChthonics posted:

One. One kcal raises 1 kg of water 1 degree c. Food has a lot of energy in it, turns out. A gram of butter has about 30 kJ; a gram of TNT has __4__

Entire liquid phase, which is famously 100 degrees C

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Jul 1, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

oooh, gotcha :downs:

related:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/idCl7IF.gifv

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

If these are the grubs I'm thinking of, aren't they a pleasant peanut flavour? Would if so

redgubbinz posted:

If your goal is money per bite above all else, why not just guzzle racehorse cum?

World's most expensive shake

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

those critters better taste amazing

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Is there anyone who genuinely enjoys eating live grubs? It's got to be an elaborate way to get bragging rights / haze people, surely?

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

cyberia posted:

Is there anyone who genuinely enjoys eating live grubs? It's got to be an elaborate way to get bragging rights / haze people, surely?

They look like they've been drowned in a tasty sauce. If they are alive after that then, it stands to reason, you should eat them to gain their immense strength.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cyberia posted:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I think it's chili oil and I think they hate it. You're just making them angry. :ohdear:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Frozen pizza with potato chips and ground beef.

From the number one frozen pizza brand in Norway. Apparently the perfidious Norwegian eats this stuff on Christmas.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ror posted:

I think it's chili oil and I think they hate it. You're just making them angry. :ohdear:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of torturing the grubs before they get eaten. That's just mean.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sekhmnet posted:

How are digiornio/frechetta etc pizzas harder to make than a red barron? Its the exact same process for all of em.

Exactly my point, but the higher-end pizzas cost double the price or higher, which is, again, "if I'm going to spend that much money, why not spend less for the same amount of effort and no appreciable change in taste". :effort:

FreudianSlippers posted:

From the number one frozen pizza brand in Norway. Apparently the perfidious Norwegian eats this stuff on Christmas.

That sounds like a good Christmas to me.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

angerbeet posted:

For stuffed peppers I think you're better deconstructing them and just having the filling with a side of peppers you've grilled or sauteed, or raw as a salad if that's your kink. Stuffing doesn't actually do much except making it look like you tried, goddamn it, at least you tried.

Bell pepper stuffing is one of my dad's special occasion comfort foods. My mom makes it for him with equal parts chopped bologna and chopped frankfurters, hold the bell peppers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

make the chips ketchup flavour and i'm in

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

KataraniSword posted:

Exactly my point, but the higher-end pizzas cost double the price or higher, which is, again, "if I'm going to spend that much money, why not spend less for the same amount of effort and no appreciable change in taste". :effort:

Yeah the store brand 'rising crust' pizzas are just as good, if not better(like the safeway pepperoni one i mentioned before) for half the price. 8$+ you might as well take home a papa murphys or something.

Digiorno used to have deep dish pizzas like 15 or 20 years ago but they cost 8 or 9 bucks and took at least an hour to cook so they didn't sell well but I remember liking them.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

This is not what I meant when I said "Let's go grab some grub" :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tunicate posted:

A Calorie is the energy needed to raise a liter of water by one degree C, and provides a conveniently sized unit that doesn't need decimals.

What's the problem?
If you use kJ, no one can do that "...actually, it's kilocalories :smuggo:" thing when you talk about them.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not, the only reason to use metric is that it's the standard.
Conversion is a lot easier. 1.7 kilometres is, very obviously, 1700 metres. 1.7 miles is... hang on, let me grab a calculator... 8976 feet? I don't even know if that's correct.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of torturing the grubs before they get eaten. That's just mean.

There's a significant number of dishes that involve torturing the meat while it's still alive, and while that's not the only type of food I have an ethical dislike for, I can't think of anything more distasteful at the moment.

The one that sticks with me is an Asian dish involving a block of tofu and a large number of small fish. The tofu and the fish are put into a pot that's slowly brought to a boil. The fish burrow into the tofu to escape the heat, and once everything is cooked, you slice the tofu.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'd rather my tofu be stuffed with cleaned and gutted fish.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

for fish lovers only

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean... would

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean... would
The baby looks undercooked

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SLOSifl posted:

The baby looks undercooked

I likes mine... rawwww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

zedprime posted:

Put your goober peas into your Coke for a sweet treat.

You put them in R/C Cola you doofus