Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Scratch Monkey posted:

I assume they blew it up there because they claimed it was too dangerous to transport

I once loaded several trucks worth of old rear end Iraqi mortars into gun trucks so we could drop it off at the engineers miles away to be properly disposed of. I guess what I'm saying is LAPD can gently caress off with that bullshit. Shame that none of them will see jailtime for terrorizing a neighborhood. Imagine what this country would do if anyone else set off a two ton vbied in one of our cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Steezo posted:

Imagine what this country would do if anyone else set off a two ton vbied in one of our cities?

TSA inspections on everything bigger than a Honda Fit.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Wait what is the actual story there? EOD got a call out and just put whatever it was on their truck and just set it off in the middle of a neighbourhood?? Is this so they can get a new truck? :psyduck:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Wait what is the actual story there? EOD got a call out and just put whatever it was on their truck and just set it off in the middle of a neighbourhood?? Is this so they can get a new truck? :psyduck:

They raided a patio with two and a half tons of fireworks in a residential area.

Then they loaded too much boom boom powder into their magic containment vessel because they’re stupid.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Its worth noting that the ATF was involved with that "operation" too. I'm less surprised that poo poo went sideways and more surprised that a homeowner's dog wasn't shot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iroc.dis posted:

Its worth noting that the ATF was involved with that "operation" too. I'm less surprised that poo poo went sideways and more surprised that a homeowner's dog wasn't shot.

The homeowner too. And the neighbor. And that they didn’t park the truck in the school parking lot.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MrYenko posted:

The homeowner too. And the neighbor. And that they didn’t park the truck in the school parking lot. During Recess.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Also drive their APC over the dead dog

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Threw sparklers and smoke bombs into a crib

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I think they've just gotten bored with all that hum drum regular killing and are trying new things :shrug:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dallas let their EOD robot get on the killboard a few years ago, LAPD still got some catching up to do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

shame on an IGA posted:

Dallas let their EOD robot get on the killboard a few years ago, LAPD still got some catching up to do.

Someone called the killing "getting R2-C4'd" and I laugh every time I have thought about it since.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Less than new
https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1411685618833313793?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Come down to Big Bill Hells Less Than New Cars Tanks!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 4, 2021

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1418277162826833923?s=20

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:stare:

https://twitter.com/PeterLucier/status/1418563249214304261?s=19

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/BurgerPilled/status/1420966234821218311?s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Until it's proven otherwise I'm calling 'SHOP on that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given the number of units and depot's they've overrun, I'm gonna say it's within the realm of possible

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'd recognize that M9 anywhere!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why? It isn't like the ANG did gently caress all from them just rolling in and taking anything they wanted.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That has got to be the biggest dunk I can remember in recent history

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/nocontextafgwar/status/1422675950865686530?s=19

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Jihadis With Attitude
Straight Outta Kabul

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Pictured: Afghan War(s) reigning champions

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we never had a chance

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
We went to do one thing, hosed it up early, and then decided to fight the sort of war that had literally never been won there. Thanks, W, Dick, and Rummy!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Where’s this rear end in a top hat Osama? Afghanistan, but will probably escape into Pakistan huh. Can we invade Pakistan? No? Ok. Well let’s kick Afghanistan’s rear end and try to get Osama anyway, we’ll figure the rest out in January when we’re done.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Scratch Monkey posted:

We went to do one thing, hosed it up early, and then decided to fight the sort of war that had literally never been won there. Thanks, W, Dick, and Rummy!

They also set aside an absolutely pathetic amount of aid to rebuild Afghanistan which was severely impoverished and hosed up by decades of war before we blew up the last few remaining things that hadn't already been blown up. The Bush administration didn't want to do "nation building" and somehow expected Afghanistan to just put itself back together out of near total ruin.

There was probably a decent chance things could have turned out well there had they actually bothered to spend enough money to rebuild and secure the country right away. Instead they hosed around until things fell apart and spent way more money in the long run when it was too late. Also refusing to negotiate with and re-integrate the Taliban early on just made them decide to wait us out.

Rumsfeld in particular comes off as a spectacularly dumb idiot if you read about what they were doing in the early years of the war.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Where’s this rear end in a top hat Osama? Afghanistan, but will probably escape into Pakistan huh. Can we invade Pakistan? No? Ok. Well let’s kick Afghanistan’s rear end and try to get Osama anyway, we’ll figure the rest out in January when we’re done.

They don't call Afghanistan the "graveyard of empires" for nothing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

Been thinking about this comic and how if you crossed off “Vietnam” and wrote “Afghanistan” it’d still be pretty apt.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

well the good news is that by handing the taliban a massive win we probably have stabilized the country

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PookBear posted:

well the good news is that by handing the taliban a massive win we probably have stabilized the country

I think we just stabilized Afghanistan's instability.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

joat mon posted:

I think we just stabilized Afghanistan's instability.

no the taliban are 100% going to solidify control over afghanistan. maybe some remnant of the northern alliance will be left, but they're out of friends at this point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Judging from their lack of footwear, it's a good thing these guys didn't fight at gettysburg

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

"Using an unexploded 16-inch naval shell for a resting place, Marine Private First Class Raymond Hubert, shakes a three-day accumulation of sand from his boondocker. Saipan, July 4, 1944."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A great way to show off a bourrelet

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A great way to show off a bourrelet

He's hiding the bourrelet with his body, what he's showing off is the driving band

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xakura posted:

He's hiding the bourrelet with his body, what he's showing off is the driving band

I always confuse the two :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Meanwhile in Afghanistan

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1424056669496094725