Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

For those of you that do your primer / basecoat with lowes or home depot spray, whats the best brand you’ve used so far? I’ve heard a lot about Krylon.

Krylon is what I used before I got an airbrush, it worked without issue year round for me even in sub freezing temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

For those of you that do your primer / basecoat with lowes or home depot spray, whats the best brand you’ve used so far? I’ve heard a lot about Krylon.

Rustoleum works pretty good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Fresh off the excitement of how good Spanish Manlove's dreadnoughts look, I put in some time on my Deathwing Dreadnought tonight. Mostly done with it, and I'm mostly happy with it. Just need to put together a decent base.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Look at that big robot boy taking his nephews out for a walk

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Father taking sons for walk, 41,000 (colorized).

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Quick question: Lately I've been really into basecoating with a stark zenithal via rattlecan, and then painting primarily with contrast/transparent paints to preserve the zenithal volume, see below (no highlight pass in this pic yet):

Am I correct in assuming an airbrush would remedy the sort of gritty/speckly shadowed look? I imagine a finer stream of black and white inks would be super smooth transitions. The current method is honestly fine for grungy models like the Death Guard, but for, say, larger amounts of regular human flesh the rattlecan speckles end up looking not the best. Is this a dumb reason to finally get an airbrush?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You are correct in that if properly done an airbrush won't have that speckling, you can spray a much finer and more controlled zenithal. If you want a smooth transition over a larger area like that it may not be as quick though, you'll usually want to thin down further and build up layers. But that really depends how smooth you care to do, you have almost infinite level of control over the results. Even a basic zenithal will be better though.

Not that this is the only reason to get an airbrush, there's about infinite of those, but if it's the one that convinces you then great!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crosspost:

I broke him a few times and couldn't find a base, so I made it from scratch. Going to get started on coloring him now.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If you want to airbrush really smooth gradients for zenethil highlights, use white ink instead of paint.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do you really need an airbrush vent if you airbrush inside? All the ones online seem to be bigger than half my desk. was looking for one that was maybe 12"x12"

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you really need an airbrush vent if you airbrush inside? All the ones online seem to be bigger than half my desk. was looking for one that was maybe 12"x12"

Naw, just wear a mask and clean often (probably with a mask, I do it to be safe) as you'll get falling particulate build up nearby. I've been doing it for years, but if you get sloppy with cleaning it gets nasty.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The Demilich posted:

Crosspost:

I broke him a few times and couldn't find a base, so I made it from scratch. Going to get started on coloring him now.

Aaaaaaaand done. Forgive the lovely phone pics.
Base is polymer clay, static grass, fake spongy shrub stuff, cork, a rock, some sprue, liquitex texture paste, and small rocks.

Paintjob was liquitex acrylic inks.

I love stynylrez but god drat priming was a pain in the rear end with it being so hot today.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not really, but it helps keep clean, especially if the room is small/badly ventilated. At the very least, it's recommended to set up an airbrushing booth (basically a big box) to try and contain most of the paint dust, which you could replace or wipe clean. And, of course, wear a mask.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm gonna just scream into the void for a sec.

I got my first airbrush months ago. It was really good except for priming, priming loving sucked. Just constant clogs, even thinned, unless it's so thin it took a million coats with no real coverage. loving awful. It'd take 30 minutes to prime one or two dudes between cleaning and testing the mix, then a more thorough cleaning afterwards, and it'd rub off easily. I was new to airbrushing so I assumed it was my mistake compounding, I'd get sick of it and put the airbrush down for another few months.

Turns out my primer was bad the whole time. I tried another brand and it was a breeze to use and to clean up after, just waiting to see how it cures. So much wasted time but at least I can disassemble and clean my airbrush in the dark. :argh:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Apologies if this was brought up recently, but has anyone had bad luck with paint agitators? I think I'm getting tennis elbow from shaking my paints, and some of the older ones have pigment that's not mixing as well as I want it to. It's time to invest in one of those fancy vibrating ones, but I don't want to buy a lemon.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Guzwar posted:

Apologies if this was brought up recently, but has anyone had bad luck with paint agitators? I think I'm getting tennis elbow from shaking my paints, and some of the older ones have pigment that's not mixing as well as I want it to. It's time to invest in one of those fancy vibrating ones, but I don't want to buy a lemon.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...-c1161fd32666-0
I got this one (I got mine off Taobao not Aliexpress though). It's great! It can be a little uncomfortable after 30 seconds of getting your hand shaken along with the paint but it's harmless and the discomfort goes away fast.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

I got my first airbrush months ago. It was really good except for priming, priming loving sucked. Just constant clogs, even thinned, unless it's so thin it took a million coats with no real coverage. loving awful. It'd take 30 minutes to prime one or two dudes between cleaning and testing the mix, then a more thorough cleaning afterwards, and it'd rub off easily. I was new to airbrushing so I assumed it was my mistake compounding, I'd get sick of it and put the airbrush down for another few months.

Turns out my primer was bad the whole time. I tried another brand and it was a breeze to use and to clean up after, just waiting to see how it cures. So much wasted time but at least I can disassemble and clean my airbrush in the dark. :argh:

I had the exact same problem with a bottle of matte varnish.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Eediot Jedi posted:

I had the same problem with Stynlrez primer. Once I switched to Vallejo Mecha Primer I never had that problem. Cleaning primer is still a pain in the rear end but at least I don't have to disassemble the airbrush every time I prime a model.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Can you varnish through an airbrush? Normally I get good results with Krylon spray but lately I've been getting a lot of frosting, I think from how humid it's been.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Toebone posted:

Can you varnish through an airbrush? Normally I get good results with Krylon spray but lately I've been getting a lot of frosting, I think from how humid it's been.
I’ve put vallejo premium gloss and w&n galeria matte varnishes through my airbrush with zero issues and good results

E: i clean the poo poo out of the brush afterwards though

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Toebone posted:

Yup, you can thin it similarly to acrylic paint. I use Tamiya x-20a thinner with AK ultra matte varnish and it works great.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Toebone posted:

Yeah, varnish is pretty much just paint medium with no pigment, I’ve used a bunch of different types with no problems, just this one big bottle of Mecha Matte went bad somehow and got gummy. Going forward I’m only buying small bottles so I dont have to throw away half a 20$ bottle when it happens again.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I had the same problem with Stynlrez primer. Once I switched to Vallejo Mecha Primer I never had that problem. Cleaning primer is still a pain in the rear end but at least I don't have to disassemble the airbrush every time I prime a model.

Yeah, I had the same issues with Stynlrez primer until I started diluting it with a mix of distilled water/flow-aid/slow-dri

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I got a bottle of AK primer and it's been great right out of the bottle through my sotar 2020 which is like the worst possible airbrush for priming. My buddy had been painting since the 80s and says it's the best he's ever used, especially the gray.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've done some more painting this last couple of weeks! I'll spare you the individual shots, but heres the group shots (all for Malifaux);

A Lucius Mattheson crew, mix of 1e/2e/3e models. I was looking forward to painting these guys, but aside from Agent 46 (back left) and Lucius himself (Next to agent 46, gold mask) I'm not wildly in love with how they turned out, but spending more time on them wasnt improving them, so I called them good and moved on.

And a Marcus crew, mainly 1e metals with a couple of 2e plastics. Contrast over a zenithal did the bulk of the heavy lifting on his beasts tbh, with a bit of extra drybrushing/highlights here and there.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Aside from the Telemon and 3 models, the rest of these guys have all been gloss varnished and are ready for some oil wash.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Aside from the Telemon and 3 models, the rest of these guys have all been gloss varnished and are ready for some oil wash.

Those sand bases are really nice, how'd you do them?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Demilich posted:

Aaaaaaaand done. Forgive the lovely phone pics.
Base is polymer clay, static grass, fake spongy shrub stuff, cork, a rock, some sprue, liquitex texture paste, and small rocks.

Paintjob was liquitex acrylic inks.

I love stynylrez but god drat priming was a pain in the rear end with it being so hot today.
i really like this synthwave necron a lot

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Winklebottom posted:

Those sand bases are really nice, how'd you do them?

This super helpful guide!

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So Krylon and Rustoleum are a-go as long as they are the plastic bonding versions. What about this gloss varnish + oil wash I’ve been hearing about? I can spray some regular gloss varnish on a mini and wash the entire thing with whichever wash and not have to be super careful like during recess shading?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sorta.

You can slop oil wash all over your model, and over high smooth areas it'll mostly slide off, once it sits. You'll still need to clean it up, but you can rub exposed areas with a swab or a brush with some thinner on it to clean up what you don't want pretty easily.

Another option is to just carefully dab oil wash into the areas you want to darken up, like shading recessed details or panel lines. Capillary action will draw the wash into the recess, and you'll have to clean up maybe a little dot at most.

As usual, Vince has a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmhcSRsiPo

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, varnish is pretty much just paint medium with no pigment

Are you sure about that? I have a bunch of matt varnishes and mediums and they smell very different. The varnishes have a very distinct smell that is very different from the mediums.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Starting in on a Hordes of Chaos army, first up is the mounted sorcerer.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Asking around in a few threads, what do people use for bushes on bases?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punishedkissinger posted:

Well it depends.

Drybrushing: cheap makeup brushes

Regular kind of brushing: a really big and crappy synthetic brush I got in a set at Michaels for $5. Then for finer detail a normal brush I'd use on other stuff.

For really really big stuff I'll use a really really big brush.

For texture pastes I got a bunch of sculpting tools on Amazon and use a spear looking thing to spread it around. A little trowel works fine or a lovely old sugar spoon if you're really in a pinch.

For putting on tufts I use some tweezers. For applying static gras I use my fingers.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 2, 2021

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Skails posted:

Starting in on a Hordes of Chaos army, first up is the mounted sorcerer.

Aww man, I remember this guy coming out with the big Chaos release around ~2002(?) and it's still an ominous, characterful sculpt 20 years later. Great work; he reminds me of the evil knights from the old Schwarzeneggar Conan movies.

Working on another skeleton now. I tried to use zenithal highlighting again to guide my eye and draw the orange stage out farther. I think he's coming along much better than the first.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Depends on the scale I'm working at, but usually either clump foliage or pre-made grass tufts.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh, bushes not brushes. I'm dumb.

The army painter grass tufts are really good, I like them a lot. I've heard good things about gamer grass too.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

I generally use Woodland Scenics clump foliage for all of my tiny bush basing needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I got a bottle of AK primer and it's been great right out of the bottle through my sotar 2020 which is like the worst possible airbrush for priming. My buddy had been painting since the 80s and says it's the best he's ever used, especially the gray.

Have you tried the larger needles for the Sotar?