Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

little known fact, eating blue crayons, specifically cerulean blue, makes you hallucinate cops. leave it to a marine to figure that out through experimentation ofc

poo poo, I got a box of em around here somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My science 8-ball says aliens are actually birds. And also birds aren't real either

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

PokeJoe posted:

My science 8-ball says aliens are actually birds. And also birds aren't real either

The idea that UFOs are a cia op is ridiculous. They are just birds. Birds aren't real either though, they are cia drones

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

I think it’s a psyop AND they’re birds AND they’re just new drones AND they’re just planes flying away. I exist in a superposition of all big brain skeptic states you cannot defeat my discourse.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tighclops posted:

Somebody bought me NDT's book last year and I feel really bad about that because I'm never going to loving read it

if someone earnestly thought id like a NDT book? man, that'd be cause for some serious self reflection

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think they thought he was sagan 2.0 and that's why they figured I'd be into him

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
sometimes i think about the time that a pizza delivery guy showed up with a bunch of pies to a large observatory and an extremely high carl showed up at the door and it was just him and a bunch of hot younger ladies

he definitely had sex with all those ladies and everyone involved was super into it (carl not the pizza guy)

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Carl assisted in the preliminary phases of a project to nuke the moon, promoted marijuana legalization that was carried on by his wife, and wrote cool books both fiction and nonfiction

ndt conducted planetarium tours and now sells mattresses on his podcast

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Endless Trash posted:

and now sells mattresses on his podcast

lmao u fr

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
if hillary clinton tweets about uaps i'll know ww3 is coming

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Endless Trash posted:

Carl assisted in the preliminary phases of a project to nuke the moon

what did he know that we don't

i'm now very in favor of nuking the moon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carl thought weed made him more creative and wrote essays about how he jotted down formulae in the soap on the wall after getting sudden inspiration while loving his wife in the shower while high:

https://www.organism.earth/library/document/mr-x

quote:

I find that most of the insights I achieve when high are into social issues, an area of creative scholarship very different from the one I am generally known for. I can remember one occasion, taking a shower with my wife while high, in which I had an idea on the origins and invalidities of racism in terms of gaussian distribution curves. It was a point obvious in a way, but rarely talked about. I drew the curves in soap on the (Text sourced from https://www.organism.earth/library/document/mr-x) shower wall, and went to write the idea down. One idea led to another, and at the end of about an hour of extremely hard work I found I had written eleven short essays on a wide range of social, political, philosophical, and human biological topics. Because of problems of space, I can’t go into the details of these essays, but from all external signs, such as public reactions and expert commentary, they seem to contain valid insights. I have used them in university commencement addresses, public lectures, and in my books.

Neil Tyson believes that democracy is ludicrous and we should simply determine policy through empirical analysis of which outcomes would be best:

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/748157273789300736?s=20

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheeee posted:

the world really does need a new hawking or sagan, tyson as the normie public science guy is a disaster, fucker just pushes the idea of being a pedantic rote encyclopedic thinker

that Hakeem Oluseyi guy from the discovery special seemed cool

Giorgio Tsoukalos is the new sagan

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Neil Tyson believes that democracy is ludicrous and we should simply determine policy through empirical analysis of which outcomes would be best:

any country would be foolish to not join Rationalia

they would basically be admitting they’re not rational

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neil you could have smoked weed with Carl and his wife every day for four years + your Ph.D. maybe you dumbass but instead you got your brain washed at Harvard gently caress you

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s just dick dorkins without the racism.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

what’s amusing about this take is that we totally already have this, it’s just that the outcomes of the system are in the rational short term self interest of the rich.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
wherein we pick trite ndt tweets to post

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1409606276741439490?s=20

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Space aliens, coming from the hiveworld see humans and think "wow these guys would make a great protein source" and start boxing us up into to go bags before turning around and going home declaring that there's delicious life on planet earth

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If its aliens we would already worship them as gods or be dead.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

we already do brooo

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Its wu mutha fuckas, wu-tang mutha fuckas, its wu.....wuuuu ohhh... reunited, double uaps were all excited, struck a match to the underground, birds got ignited

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

me with boom box outside of NDT window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4W31QsA8NA

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

He’s just dick dorkins without the racism.

dick dorkins was a real scientist who published real work

tyson is a museum curator who got where he was because he lucked into meeting the right people

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
while Carl Sagan was throwing rockets at Venus and poofing beefers right in the face of aliens who he totally believed in, NDT was a lovely stupid little baby with a brain as smart as the one he has now.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Tyson is a goof but the conflation of intelligent/scientific with moral/“good” that he pushes with his platform is...actually kinda bad. like he really should know better. but, he’s a dumbass.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

That Australian report essentially confirming the conspiracy theory pieced together here is probably one of the more convincing things, if real etc

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Inspector Hound posted:

That Australian report essentially confirming the conspiracy theory pieced together here is probably one of the more convincing things, if real etc

link

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Caught it a couple pages back

Rah! posted:

a declassified Australian military UFO report from 1971 and other files on UFOs were linked on reddit.

https://ia800203.us.archive.org/24/items/AustralianUFOFiles/A13693_3092-2-000_30030606.pdf

Here's an overview of the report and a couple UFO sightings:

the report includes some interesting summaries of America and Australia's UFO investigations from 1947-1969, and dozens of reports where UFOs have effects on bystanders, sorted by effect (engines dying, radio interference, electric shocks, pins and needles, paralysis, etc).

tl;dr: lots of unexplained UFO encounters, America publicly discredited the topic while the USAF and CIA were secretly trying to engineer aircraft that can do what some UFOs seem to do (and failed a bunch), and over those 20+ years the Australian military's attitude was mostly guided by America's public stance, so Australia mostly didn't treat investigations as seriously.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

omg if they have alien tech they cant figure out after like so many years why dont just give it to elon to get it done now?!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Get the feeling this person would fit in here lol

NUFORC posted:

Occurred : 11/2/1998 19:00
Reported: 2/18/2002 9:47:14 PM

Immediately I went out into the back yard, it felt automated, and I had this realisation of 'being controlled', once outside I felt the hairs on my neck stand on end. Above me a cloudless starry sky, no moon, but I could see one, two then five seven stars disappearing there was something there alright, slowly gliding in a northern direction, no sound just what must have been a quater acre patch of ominous blackness. The only thought I had when I saw this was 'go back inside', my body once more dragged me away, this time inside my home. You always read of bright shining lights and colours, not black stealth. You can imagine my amazement, and relief to know they really are there, real, and hidden. They watch us in the shadows, camoflaged, shop keepers, scientists studying life like we do and would with circumstances diferent. Wether they are alowed to show them selves or not it seems that inevitably they are 'human' too and therfore are unable to stop mistakes being made.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

pixie led out of your own drat home what a pitiful feeling

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Space aliens, coming from the hiveworld see humans and think "wow these guys would make a great protein source" and start boxing us up into to go bags before turning around and going home declaring that there's delicious life on planet earth

we are all popplers on this glorious day :blessed:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

pixie led out of your own drat home what a pitiful feeling

I know you know it's a thing but it's described over and over in NUFORC to a degree that even surprised me. Even if it's "just" a psychological phenomenon or something akin to leaded gasoline driving people nuts something wild is going on

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

its the lead baby

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I've heard that leaded gasoline is still a thing in parts of england, but they're all already insane freaks so I dunno if there's valuable data there

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

WEH posted:

I know you know it's a thing but it's described over and over in NUFORC to a degree that even surprised me. Even if it's "just" a psychological phenomenon or something akin to leaded gasoline driving people nuts something wild is going on

if the ppl who say free will doesnt exist are correct then it also follows that a suitable knowledge and toolset focused on a person could "compel" them to go outside or whatever for a probin

it might also explain the dissonance ppl report like "i knew i should go inside but my body wasnt listening to me"

the kind of control the various alphabet guys would happily do anything for lol

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

if NUFORC is any indication the only reason people look up in the UK is because they're outside smoking a cigarette, for example

Sleekly posted:

if the ppl who say free will doesnt exist are correct then it also follows that a suitable knowledge and toolset focused on a person could "compel" them to go outside or whatever for a probin

it might also explain the dissonance ppl report like "i knew i should go inside but my body wasnt listening to me"

the kind of control the various alphabet guys would happily do anything for lol

for sure

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

omg if they have alien tech they cant figure out after like so many years why dont just give it to elon to get it done now?!

assuming you're referencing the Australian report, i read it as America having theories for possible UFO propulsion (electro-magnetism or gravity control), but were just winging it, trying to create flying saucers of their own...but not necessarily that they had actually captured alien craft and were reverse engineering them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

classic American swagger jackers