Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cool thanks, that might be enough to make this work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Few days with the Hind only using a joystick and it's definitely workable. Starting to get the hang of it, I can take off easily enough and am getting a lot better at landing short distances and hovering just off the ground. Big difference maker was setting all the control axis with a 25 point curve, really helps prevent rapid oscillations or dumping collective too quickly and dropping out of the sky.

It's a big chopper and it doesn't do nimble all that great but it loves to go fast.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Found an annoying little bug, if anyone's interested. I have two key combos assigned to left and right click so I don't have to take my hands off the hotas to click stuff in the cockpit (VR). Both rely on a modifier key I've confirmed is registered in all of my planes, the UI layer, and General in the controls settings (confirmed via the UI, haven't looked at any settings files or w/e).

So the bug is, if I use my key combo to click on the game UI (e.g. the OK button to leave the briefing and enter the mission or anything in the Esc menu during the mission), the modifier button on my hotas stops working as a modifier until I enter the controls settings and rescan my devices. I've confirmed on the F-18 and the F-16 that the modifier key works fine as long as I don't click on those game UI screens, i.e. as long as I only use it in the cockpit or on the communications menu it's fine.

Dunno if anyone else has had to deal with this, or if it's a well known problem, but on the off chance that somebody else might come across it I figured I'd post it here.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
For any fellow Corsair fanboys out there, Leatherneck has a pretty nice Summer update out, with a morsel of Crusader info for a chaser.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ZekeNY posted:

For any fellow Corsair fanboys out there, Leatherneck has a pretty nice Summer update out, with a morsel of Crusader info for a chaser.

It's such a pointless plane. It's only real 'contemporary' opponent would be the Ki-84.
The F4F would have been a much better choice.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
What happened to Nick’s favorite plane the Hellcat?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's such a pointless plane. It's only real 'contemporary' opponent would be the Ki-84.
The F4F would have been a much better choice.

What? The Ki-84 didn’t get introduced till November of 1944, and the Corsair started getting into combat like, December of 42/early 43, so that’s not even close

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Julius CSAR posted:

What? The Ki-84 didn’t get introduced till November of 1944, and the Corsair started getting into combat like, December of 42/early 43, so that’s not even close

That all depends on which variant. Matching any of them against any A6M variant is just silly, as it's a 1930's design.
The workhouse of the US Navy pacific campaign was the F4F and anything after Midway was just a curb-stomping.

I know the F4U is iconic, but from a pure playability point of view, it's pointless. It has no worth wile opponents until the Ki-84.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is there even ANY Japanese WWII aircraft in development? Any assets at all besides the Marianas map?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Is there even ANY Japanese WWII aircraft in development? Any assets at all besides the Marianas map?

Throw a Japanese livery on a FW-190 and you are half way there

Also it’s a modern map, the old WW2 bases are overgrown ruins

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Also it’s a modern map, the old WW2 bases are overgrown ruins

Ya, I was being generous there.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The WWII version of the map is due out later this year, or whenever.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

That all depends on which variant. Matching any of them against any A6M variant is just silly, as it's a 1930's design.
The workhouse of the US Navy pacific campaign was the F4F and anything after Midway was just a curb-stomping.

I know the F4U is iconic, but from a pure playability point of view, it's pointless. It has no worth wile opponents until the Ki-84.

It’s not silly though?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you can always fly corsairs against other corsairs, as was done historically

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

bewbies posted:

you can always fly corsairs against other corsairs, as was done historically

I always forget about how extremely weird The Soccer War was.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I figured I'd try this on the steam sale, is the Flaming Cliffs package the best value for starting out?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Booyah- posted:

I figured I'd try this on the steam sale, is the Flaming Cliffs package the best value for starting out?

In terms of airplanes per buck, absolutely.
But it's always worth pointing out that they're simplified-model ones without the clicky-cockpit interactions or detail that is commonly seen as the selling point of the whole game. So it sort of depends on what you… well… value.

It's also worth pointing out that the new two-week-free-trial-on-almost-anything means there's a strong argument for going for the standalone version before plunking money down (on Steam or otherwise). The issue is, of course, that you'll miss out on the sale if you do that, and it's also a bit of faff to flip between the two versions.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

anything after Midway was just a curb-stomping.

I take umbrage with this statement on behalf of the entirety of the Guadalcanal campaign.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

I take umbrage with this statement on behalf of the entirety of the Guadalcanal campaign.

Well, they still handily won that and not a single F4U in sight.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Tippis posted:

But it's always worth pointing out that they're simplified-model ones without the clicky-cockpit interactions or detail that is commonly seen as the selling point of the whole game. So it sort of depends on what you… well… value.

It's also worth pointing out that the new two-week-free-trial-on-almost-anything means there's a strong argument for going for the standalone version before plunking money down (on Steam or otherwise). The issue is, of course, that you'll miss out on the sale if you do that, and it's also a bit of faff to flip between the two versions.

Oh cool, I didn't know about the free trial thing, thanks!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Well, they still handily won that and not a single F4U in sight.

To call the Guadalcanal campaign “handily won” is uhh… certainly a take

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

"Through January 1943 the Cactus Air Force had lost 148 aircraft shot down and 94 airmen killed or missing. In addition, between August and November 1942, 43 planes were destroyed on Henderson Field, and 86 were lost operationally. During that same period, the U.S. Navy carriers supporting the Guadalcanal campaign lost a total of 49 planes in combat, 72 destroyed on their ships and 184 operational losses. Estimates of total Japanese losses ranged as high as 900 aircraft and more than 2,400 aircrew members. The latter statistic reflected the beginning of a talent drain that would ultimately prove fatal to the Japanese land and naval air forces."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
You can import Steam keys to Standalone from the DCS site.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
does anyone know of a way to increase the brightness of the f16 mfds beyond what the brightness and contrast switches allow for? playing in VR they tend to be really difficult to see without zooming in.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Stringent posted:

does anyone know of a way to increase the brightness of the f16 mfds beyond what the brightness and contrast switches allow for? playing in VR they tend to be really difficult to see without zooming in.

I use this: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309263/ it passes IC and works great.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

:cheers:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Booyah- posted:

I'd say grab FC3 on sale and then work out what you like from there. You can see if you like US or Ru planes more, and it's good "training" for whichever module you decide to trail later and perhaps buy.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren: First purchase through ED store is 50% off. :siren::siren:

Maybe use the free trial and don't blow the 50% off on Flaming Cliffs.

Edit: Consecutively try out the F-18, JF-17, F-14 whenever you have 2 weeks you can focus on each of them. Other planes and helis and maps too. Then after a month or three, if you like one or more save up some cash, then pop your 50% on one big purchase.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 2, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the first plane i bought was the f/a-18 and i'm continuing to be glad that was my first purchase. the amount of stuff there is to learn has kept me busy for quite a while now. i've just recently started messing with the f16 which has just made me happier with starting on the f/a-18.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Booyah- posted:

Tippis posted:

It's trivially easy to migrate keys from steam to standalone, so you can just buy on steam and play standalone forever. If say, steam local pricing is way better than buying from ED in dollars.

Seconding trying a proper DCS plane though, FC3 doesn't give you the same experience. Also its much easier to remember where switches are in a cockpit, than remembering which keyboard shortcut controls fuel transfer or radar scan range.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I disagree with what everyone here is saying. Get FC3, or even just the F-15, figure out if you like literally anything about modern air combat, if not then you can get IL2 instead. If you find yourself enjoying it, then get a proper full fidelity module. If you’re getting a full fidelity module, I recommend the F-18.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Beware herp is rife with bad opinions.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
well, they're right that if you wanna fly ww2 planes il2 is your best bet

but if you don't mind jets but don't like computers there's lots of cold war planes in dcs

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A mig-21 is more entertaining than an f-18 any day of the week :hist101:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stringent posted:

well, they're right that if you wanna fly ww2 planes il2 is your best bet

but if you don't mind jets but don't like computers there's lots of cold war planes in dcs

Cold War you still have to tolerate missile combat, even if it’s close range.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A mig-21 is more entertaining than an f-18 any day of the week :hist101:

It really is.

I should get around to getting the 19 as well

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Enjoy the Mig-19 before Razbam deletes it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

No lie, I love the MiG-19. It might not be the last gunfighter but it is the last of the turning dogfighters. Until you rip the wings off turning 90⁰ at mach 1+ while gently whispering [Danger Zone]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I disagree with what everyone here is saying. Get FC3, or even just the F-15, figure out if you like literally anything about modern air combat, if not then you can get IL2 instead. If you find yourself enjoying it, then get a proper full fidelity module. If you’re getting a full fidelity module, I recommend the F-18.

But you can try any module for 2 weeks, why go for the gimped one.