Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I missed out on the Castle in the Forest, the only one I wanted, but to be fair it went live at 3am my time and I was expecting it to be popular.

Does anyone know if the instructions for these sets will be published online like actual Lego sets? I reckon I could build it from my current collection without having to buy many parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I missed out on the Castle in the Forest, the only one I wanted, but to be fair it went live at 3am my time and I was expecting it to be popular.

Does anyone know if the instructions for these sets will be published online like actual Lego sets? I reckon I could build it from my current collection without having to buy many parts.

Yea I wanted that really badly, and then slept just past when it sold out. Oh well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why the hell can’t they just make more if they get more pre orders? That absolutely sucks that I didn’t even get a chance to order because I had to work today. Garbage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Why the hell can’t they just make more if they get more pre orders? That absolutely sucks that I didn’t even get a chance to order because I had to work today. Garbage.

Just think of the boxes!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

A website for resellers run by resellers makes a product that is bought up by resellers. I wonder why they don't make more?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Will they actually come in Lego branded boxes? I see the note about the instructions being digital. Was considering the flight one but the price is a bit steep. I like the safe but not at $50, maybe the original design.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When you buy them you get sent to Lego dot com so they're real Lego sets with numbers and everything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Don't pay attention to ebay prices a year out. Those are people trying to take advantage of FOMO before ebay deletes their listings. Once the sets are released, there will be a flood of them on the market and the price will drop.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cojawfee posted:

Crazy that you have to get 10,000 people to support a project on ideas but they will only sell 5000 of these sets. I pre-ordered the pursuit of flight set. The safe seems interesting, but I'm not super interested in it.

Makes sense to me.

People will easily "support" a set they like the look or even the idea of, but actually buying it is quite a big step comparatively.

veni veni veni posted:

This is the dumb part.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I guess that Adidas set wasn't going to be a must-get item with the shoe collectors like some people in this thread predicted it would be.

I was able to get a Castle in the Forest preorder in. Now I'm debating the Blacksmith to complement it, and worried if that will lead to the 3-in-1 Castle set.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Makes sense to me.

People will easily "support" a set they like the look or even the idea of, but actually buying it is quite a big step comparatively.

This is the dumb part.

The worst part about it is that it feels like Lego leaning into the limited edition FOMO culture that is dominating right now. Which is something they've always seemed to try to avoid, and rightfully so.

It might very well just be a supply issue, but the way they've rolled this out it still sucks even if I think it's a great idea on paper. All it's going to do is make it so most people miss out and resellers have a heyday.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yep. BL really should have limited to 1 per person and after a week allowed multiple orders. Letting people grab 5 at once on day five just feeds into reseller culture. There will be hundreds available on BL once they are actually shipped

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego is weird like that. They're a company that exists to make lots of money, but they habitually do things that benefit the reseller market more than it benefits them. Why would they not manufacture double the sets and flood the market, taking the money for themselves instead of letting the scalpers earn a profit?

I appreciate it's complicated from their perspective, they have to estimate how much people actually want so they don't have a bunch of unsold stock rotting on shelves and there's a limit to how much they can manufacture, but still. It feels like they're leaving a lot of money on the table.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

xzzy posted:

Lego is weird like that. They're a company that exists to make lots of money, but they habitually do things that benefit the reseller market more than it benefits them. Why would they not manufacture double the sets and flood the market, taking the money for themselves instead of letting the scalpers earn a profit?

I appreciate it's complicated from their perspective, they have to estimate how much people actually want so they don't have a bunch of unsold stock rotting on shelves and there's a limit to how much they can manufacture, but still. It feels like they're leaving a lot of money on the table.

This whole release is weird. The castle is about 30 dollars less than I thought it would be, but I easily could have seen it selling out quickly if it was 250. That and the false scarcity. They could have sold 25k copies without breaking a sweat. Maybe they'll release more, who knows.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

I honestly don't think Lego properly prepared for the implications of a release like this. I don't think they are trying to tap into the current trend of "lets just make a limited stock so we sell out in 5 minutes" or anything but that is what it ends up being. I think with that first wave people were just like "what is this? How does this work? Is this a real Lego set?" But now people are on board and it basically amounts to Lego sets that are extremely limited, and therefore collectable in a way that only sets that have been out of production for years are normally.

The only way to combat this is probably to take pre orders, assess how many they can reasonably make , take another wave of preorders, and so on. If they just keep up with this one and done approach it's going to be an all around miserable experience for everyone who can't sit there and F5 all day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But my point is they do it all the time. Every time some hotly anticipated set goes up for sale on shop.lego.com, the site melts down, everything's sold out in 10 minutes, and ebay is littered with overpriced secondhand sales.

They know it's gonna happen but do nothing to prevent it. It feels to me like if they could do that they'd make more money for themselves and kneecap resellers at the same time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the danes are pure and know not of guile or greed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm hesitant to judge too harshly because a lot of this feels like the result of the pandemic and also Lego just seems to be getting more and more popular by the day. They've clearly had some major supply issues over the last year but I wouldn't say that is the norm.

At the very least they should be limiting certain sets to one copy at launch though. I don't think they have done that with anything other than the Falcon (maybe?)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weedle posted:

England in the 800's would disagree.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Weedle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoNR8MYSMno

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

But my point is they do it all the time. Every time some hotly anticipated set goes up for sale on shop.lego.com, the site melts down, everything's sold out in 10 minutes, and ebay is littered with overpriced secondhand sales.

They know it's gonna happen but do nothing to prevent it. It feels to me like if they could do that they'd make more money for themselves and kneecap resellers at the same time.
They've been criticized forever for doing this poo poo with SDCC exclusives (especially minifigs), but in those cases you could at least try to make some kind of argument about how they should be exclusive as a special treat for fans or whatever. Something like the Design Project just really feels like a really poor judgement of the popularity of these things. There's no way it was intentional that they would sell out of the castle in the first 3 or 4 hours when it was given, what, 40 days or so to hit its minimum 3000 supporters? There's a small chance that it's not too late to ramp up production since they were waiting to see which models would even make it as sets, but I wouldn't cross my fingers.

Live build tonight! Couple cars, neither of which I've posted yet! Hooray for new stuff! 7PM Central / ~1 hour away!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
BL put out a tweet that seems to indicate they are listening to the complaints. So maybe they will open more preorders.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I don’t think there should be a limit to pre orders (each order counts towards the funding goal regardless of how many one person buys) but there should be no upper limit on the total number of sets produced- I feel like that would take care of people buying it just to broker the sale on ebay or whatever. It feels kinda gross hearing people talk about flipping sets- that’s not the spirit of lego!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
People get so pissy when you call them out on flipping / speculating on LEGO. "It's not illegal to make a profit!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I don’t think there should be a limit to pre orders (each order counts towards the funding goal regardless of how many one person buys) but there should be no upper limit on the total number of sets produced- I feel like that would take care of people buying it just to broker the sale on ebay or whatever. It feels kinda gross hearing people talk about flipping sets- that’s not the spirit of lego!

The issue with that is that Lego can easily plan for 5000 units. They can't easily plan for an unknown number of units. It's not like it's just a faucet they turn on and more sets pop out. Maybe they could have increments of 5000 or something where you put in your preorder and if they get over a threshold, those preorders lock in.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Bricklink just shouldn't let you sell the sets they produce. It's the biggest secondary market and doing that would take a chunk out of the scalpers business.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deoju posted:

Bricklink just shouldn't let you sell the sets they produce. It's the biggest secondary market and doing that would take a chunk out of the scalpers business.

Or allow seller accounts to buy them at a slight discount but force them to sell at the retail price.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What could possibly go wrong?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speculating on LEGO sucks but if you buy a set and it skyrockets in price after it goes out of production that’s fair game IMO. I don’t think anyone is going to be selling cafe corner at msrp out of the kindness of their hearts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deoju posted:

That would just have scalpers go to other markets with those sets. And no one would sell their expensive sets on Bricklink if they're not going to make poo poo on it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

Speculating on LEGO sucks but if you buy a set and it skyrockets in price after it goes out of production that’s fair game IMO. I don’t think anyone is going to be selling cafe corner at msrp out of the kindness of their hearts.
Nobody's making the case that people shouldn't be able to do that, just that people who use that line of reasoning as a cover for speculating are dingdongs.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Well looks like they are doing the Seinfeld set

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Yeah it’s strictly in regards to the BL designer program

Electromax
May 6, 2007

So excited for this. I've had my combo Jerry's Apartment over Monk's Cafe modular MOC as the shelf endpiece for like 4 years now.

Electromax posted:

Alright, last one because I'm gonna stop working on it for now, but I made a roof and stuff. I also ran out of grey tiles so I sort of approximated the logo on the sidewalk instead.

I started making an interior to the restaurant, but put in the red booths and got bored. Someday.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally!!! Yes, sitcom sets are a plague on the Ideas line, but this is the one. It's Seinfeld.

Glad Newman is included, but it just makes me think "well Friends got two sets, can we have a Monk's with Puddy, Susan, and Mickey?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why did they set this to be 41 days when we're a couple days in and only a few Kakapos are left?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Anyone mad they missed out on the Castle in the Forest set, check out this guy's work on Rebrickable:
https://rebrickable.com/users/lego_fan_uy/profile/

His two larger builds are both pretty awesome and I feel like they're better modernized Castle/Forestmen feel than the Forest one. I'm kind of considering ordering parts to try one.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

Why did they set this to be 41 days when we're a couple days in and only a few Kakapos are left?
Because they were working off the assumption that this round would fly under the radar like the first one did. The first one required only 2,500 supporters each and took weeks to hit that for some of them. This time around, it was much bigger: more entries, more advertising, longer hype period, etc. So demand came through massively higher and they just weren't prepared for that.

Edit: plus, all the designs this time around were made by people who clearly know how to reach 10,000 supporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

Because they were working off the assumption that this round would fly under the radar like the first one did. The first one required only 2,500 supporters each and took weeks to hit that for some of them. This time around, it was much bigger: more entries, more advertising, longer hype period, etc. So demand came through massively higher and they just weren't prepared for that.

Edit: plus, all the designs this time around were made by people who clearly know how to reach 10,000 supporters.

And the last round have gone up in value so scalpers are salivating