Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Reminds me of the Doom 2 cabinet from Grosse Pointe Blank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

david_a posted:

People also pointed out to him that the pistol renderings he showed made absolutely no sense if you understood how firearms function but he refused to budge on that.

Good for him

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The more inaccurate firearms are in games the stronger I become.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Put those old Hyper shitpost reloads in a game unironically imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmIlogViPes

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yep, this is a thing. Or was going to be a thing. I was going to do a video about it at some point, so I'll just copy-paste some history from the script I was writing for that.

quote:

California-based Lazer-Tron, aside from being a fun thing to say, announced a collaboration with Opus Entertainment in the UK and Texas-based LBE Systems to bring PC games to sticky arcade floors as the Lazer-Tron Arcade PC System. Conversion kits for pre-existing cabinets were produced, but the real deal was equipped with a 233mhz MMX Pentium 2 processor, a Quantum3D Obsidian "Heavy Metal" GPU providing Glide graphics, a custom Quantum3D-manufacured I/O card for interfacing with arcade controls, a chunky 27-inch monitor running at 640x480, Windows 95 and a security dongle for the parallel port to prevent piracy. A number of games were announced as coming to the platform on a monthly basis, including Jazz Jackrabbit, Monster Truck Madness and Carmageddon, but only two were announced as part of the initial launch: Gremlin Interactive's Actua Soccer, which I'm not entirely convinced actually reached arcade floors, and Quake.

The exact circumstances surrounding Quake: Arcade Tournament Edition are kind of murky, and there's a lot of misinformation and scuttlebutt clouding things. I'll do my best to try and piece things together from what sources are out there, but forgive me if I get something wrong, because pretty much everyone else has! Development was headed up by LBE Systems, who allegedly contracted a pre-Valve Team Fortress Software to build a prototype to get Id's licensing approval. After that, they seem to have taken over development themselves, using a blend of internal devs and external contractors from the modding scene, like ZeusBot creator Jonathan Wright and future Quake 2 composer Sascha "Sonic Mayhem" Dikiciyan. A small number of units were produced for location testing before something happened that resulted in the plug getting pulled. The common story that goes around involves a load-bearing contract-programmer quitting the project and leaving no way for it to continue. Another source that actually owns a cabinet suggests that were legal and financial issues that scuppered the whole concept, possibly revolving around Lazer-Tron being acquired by another company called Arcade Planet. Either way, the project failed, the game never reached wide release, and PCs would have to wait another decade or so to catch on among arcade manufacturers...

The machine seems to have fallen into the orbit of the MAME development team some time around June-July 2009, where it was dumped from a hard drive labelled "Release Beta 2". The CD-ROM, which would've contained music and installer data, has yet to be dumped. Despite being dumped many moons ago, it wasn't until August 2020 until it became playable, when an anonymous GitHub user managed to remove the dongle protection from the executable, allowing it to run on modern PCs with a bare minimum of fiddling. Provided you can extract the files from the MAME CHD image (If you're on Windows you're probably gonna wanna break out the Linux ISOs you keep claiming your BitTorrent client's for to get that covered!)

Right then, where was I...

repiv posted:

IIRC Hyper works on the COD games now. One day he'll be convinced to unleash his true power upon the commercial realm, but until then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hycrDNiugA0

In other news: VR dancin'
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1408845175653244928

In other other news, the Kickstarter for the First Person Shooter documentary has gone up. I was pretty skeptical of this when it was first announced, but Richard Moss is involved and his Secret History of Mac Gaming book is really good, so I'm intrigued. Not quite intrigued enough to drop fifty kangaroo bucks on it yet, though, but that's already a fairly impressive lineup...

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Nightdive's been radio silent on the System Shock remake for a lil while now, I hope it's just because they're in the final stretch :ohdear:

Yes I'm aware I'm a colossal dingbat for holding out hope that it'll be out soon LEAVE ME ALONE.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Nightdive's been radio silent on the System Shock remake for a lil while now, I hope it's just because they're in the final stretch :ohdear:

Yes I'm aware I'm a colossal dingbat for holding out hope that it'll be out soon LEAVE ME ALONE.

Or the source code for the game became self-aware and slaughtered everyone in the studio.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

repiv posted:

make a fpser that has a no reloading infinite ammo pistol and at some point the player character says "oh I gotta reload" and then that happens, but the length of the clip is determined by how many shots were fired up until that point.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Vakal posted:

Or the source code for the game became self-aware and slaughtered everyone in the studio.

Just before I die from severe blood loss and physical trauma after battling a Cortex Reaver stalking the halls of Nightdive I scrawl "REMEMBER KICKSTARTER" in my own blood and then fall face first into a pile of my own entrails.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Extremely cool new quake release today: Reliquary, a rebalance mod and set of two particularly challenging maps.

It's based on copper with a bunch of interesting weapon tweaks to make the player a bit more powerful: The single shotgun has been replaced with a pistol that fires faster and has a tighter choke. The axe does knockback and deals double damage, so you can use it to bully ogres and death knights. Most interestingly, the double barrel shotgun has been replaced with the triple-barrel widowmaker shotgun from AD, but with a lengthy cycle time between shots. It feels a bit lot like doom's SSG and can down a shambler in 5 shots. There's also some tweaks to make the nailgun and explosive weapons a tad more powerful to bring them in line with everything else.

Despite this, the maps are difficult and contain lots of encounters that require some thought and target prioritisation to defuse safely. Ammo and health are balanced on a bit of a knife edge on the higher difficulties and you'll really get bullied about, but the levels are short and monster count low, so it's a lot of fun to keep grinding away for a victory. I hope more maps come out soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Another indie boomer shooter for the watch list

https://twitter.com/dunwoody_byron/status/1361399004676898816?s=20

Makes me think of half-life with some more quake thrown in.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I bought the original HL1. It’ll be interesting going through it after playing Black Mesa. I haven’t played it since it was new.

I’ll post thoughts here when I’m done.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SeANMcBAY posted:

I bought the original HL1. It’ll be interesting going through it after playing Black Mesa. I haven’t played it since it was new.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-mmod

There's a pretty slick looking effects/weapons enhancement mod coming out relatively soon too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Another indie boomer shooter for the watch list

https://twitter.com/dunwoody_byron/status/1361399004676898816?s=20

Makes me think of half-life with some more quake thrown in.

Scenarios and weapons are Half-life-ish yeah, but on the other hand the action is clearly faster.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Me and some friends played Sven Coop recently and it's a pretty good time, if you want a different way to experience it. Kills the sense of isolation of the base game though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/matteusbeus/status/1409821415512047624

Neat!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s really impressive. I would have got a 32X if it got this kind of performance back then.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The author of Delta Touch has just released the first beta of Raze Touch, if playing BUILD engine games on your phone is something that interests you.

Apparently this one will be completely free and not a paid Google Play app like his other projects, which is nice.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-making-of-quake/

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any noteworthy old school style FPS on the Steam Sale? I've got Amid Evil (finished) and Dusk (probably can finish difficulty-wise but that uncanny valley face monster thing introduced in chapter 3 is too scary for me).

I've got Prodeus and Ultrakill wishlisted already, both look excellent but I am just waiting for them to cook a bit more in the oven as I hear they're very short.

Not sure what else is there that's worth it. I see Hard Reset is very cheap, but also looks very slow...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Artelier posted:

Any noteworthy old school style FPS on the Steam Sale? I've got Amid Evil (finished) and Dusk (probably can finish difficulty-wise but that uncanny valley face monster thing introduced in chapter 3 is too scary for me).

I've got Prodeus and Ultrakill wishlisted already, both look excellent but I am just waiting for them to cook a bit more in the oven as I hear they're very short.

Not sure what else is there that's worth it. I see Hard Reset is very cheap, but also looks very slow...

blood: fresh supply, cruelty squad, black mesa, project warlock, post void

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Artelier posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is amazing and there are mods which is a huge plus. I'm replaying it right now and I'm hooked again. There's a thread in Games that does a good job of explaining it in the op.

Cruelty Squad owns and is GOTY for me. Great mission design.

E: stalker thread

caleb fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 1, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Artelier posted:

Overload. Very pretty, somewhat mind-bending Descent clone

Wrath is also good, but still only early access with not much content

Also if you like Source shooters and/or cyberpunk type stuff, try E.Y.E. or G-String. Both very odd games in different ways, both can be fun, E.Y.E. is more about crazy nonstop action and shooting/psionic rampage, G-String is more about atmosphere/story

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 1, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Cruelty Squad is giving me flashbacks to playing Deus Ex and Rainbow Six back in the day. It's such a unique thing on it's own but somehow it manages to tickle my nostalgia in ways other games that are more directly derivative of the classics don't.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

HROT only has one chapter out so far but it's another game to keep an eye on

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

koren posted:

Extremely cool new quake release today: Reliquary, a rebalance mod and set of two particularly challenging maps.

It's based on copper with a bunch of interesting weapon tweaks to make the player a bit more powerful: The single shotgun has been replaced with a pistol that fires faster and has a tighter choke. The axe does knockback and deals double damage, so you can use it to bully ogres and death knights. Most interestingly, the double barrel shotgun has been replaced with the triple-barrel widowmaker shotgun from AD, but with a lengthy cycle time between shots. It feels a bit lot like doom's SSG and can down a shambler in 5 shots. There's also some tweaks to make the nailgun and explosive weapons a tad more powerful to bring them in line with everything else.

Despite this, the maps are difficult and contain lots of encounters that require some thought and target prioritisation to defuse safely. Ammo and health are balanced on a bit of a knife edge on the higher difficulties and you'll really get bullied about, but the levels are short and monster count low, so it's a lot of fun to keep grinding away for a victory. I hope more maps come out soon.

this is cool. i like the super shotgun change. i was able to clear map 1 on hard first try but it says the difficulty settings were changed so isn’t if that’s actually the “”hard” difficulty.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Johnny Joestar posted:

HROT only has one chapter out so far but it's another game to keep an eye on

I love HROT's visuals but they desperately need to get someone on the sound design, everything sounds so weak

manero
Jan 30, 2006

treat posted:

Cruelty Squad is giving me flashbacks to playing Deus Ex and Rainbow Six back in the day. It's such a unique thing on it's own but somehow it manages to tickle my nostalgia in ways other games that are more directly derivative of the classics don't.

Yeah, Cruelty Squad wormed its way into my brain this past weekend and I've been enjoying it. I get a touch of motion sickness which is rare for me, but it is reminding me a little bit of the old R6 games.. and random crappy Counter-Strike/HL mod maps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I haven’t been able to spend much time with Cruelty Squad but I did make a few attempts at the first level. Are you supposed to play it like a sneaking game? I found myself just blasting dudes if I couldn’t pop out of a vent directly behind them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fallom posted:

I haven’t been able to spend much time with Cruelty Squad but I did make a few attempts at the first level. Are you supposed to play it like a sneaking game? I found myself just blasting dudes if I couldn’t pop out of a vent directly behind them.

I think the sneaky route works better until you get more unlocks (or some unlocks make it even better) and a better feel for each mission.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i found its best to sneak around and learn the levels, then equip the fart jets and blast through windows while firing your skull gun.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Squeezy Farm posted:

this is cool. i like the super shotgun change. i was able to clear map 1 on hard first try but it says the difficulty settings were changed so isn’t if that’s actually the “”hard” difficulty.
Hard is skill 1. There's a very hard mode with substantial changes to monster & item placement and then nightmare, which is just very hard with copper's 50 health cap.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i cant stop investing in Pizza House stocks im at like 60k lmao

One day ill be rich!!!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Convex posted:

Reminds me of the Doom 2 cabinet from Grosse Pointe Blank

MAN was I confused as hell when I was younger and saw that for the first time, I remember laughing and being completely :wtf:

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

koren posted:

Played through these today! Levels look great and the weapon tweaks are a nice change, though both maps are quite short.

I also just finished Alkaline, and i'm a little meh on the maps, though Foundation for Corruption and Dancing in the Golden Sun were a big highlight. Overly techbase heavy, though. The added enemies are nice for some variety, but some of them (the shielded enforcer, ugh) get annoying fast.

I also recently played through Dwell Episode 1 which was great (aside from D1M7 which i found to be kind of a slog); the secret map D1M9 was a real exploration map which I really enjoyed

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
agreed on alkaline. those two maps were the standouts to me as well. especially the one by bal. the one ending in the open arena fight against the strogg looking boss was cool too.

a lot of the maps were just a slog... too many enemies without fun or challenging encounters. the map with all the low grav areas was technically impressive (which meant fps dips for em…) but a pain to play, especially when the boss creature drops on you in a tiny room.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjLThCN_yE

:yeshaha:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

civvie is stealing from the very first post i made in this thread, by listing the stuff that is obviously good and bad with hexen in a semi profane way. drat him!!!!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I watched the entire video, if only because I don't think I ever progressed past the first half of Hexen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Eagerly waiting for Hexen 2 video because it's the one I have actual nostalgia for. It's a shame I lost the kickass box in a move.