Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gonna go and register Exxon... uh, oh hmm. OK then, BP... uh. Huh, look at that. Alright, I know, Monsantooooh drat. Pinkertons? Gosh, yuck.

Oh! Enron, surely... woah.

I'm getting the impression that being widely reviled isn't always fatal to a brand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I feel sorry for the guys working on that new edition of Top Secret.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Gonna go and register Exxon... uh, oh hmm. OK then, BP... uh. Huh, look at that. Alright, I know, Monsantooooh drat. Pinkertons? Gosh, yuck.

Oh! Enron, surely... woah.

I'm getting the impression that being widely reviled isn't always fatal to a brand!

Search is expired.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

The new East India Company is owned by an Indian-born British business guy, for maximum weirdness.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

Search is expired.

Of course the US patent and trademark office's trademark search tool doesn't create URLs you can re-use, I mean, why in the gently caress would anyone want that???

1. https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/
2. click Basic Word Mark Search (New User)
3. type "ENRON" into the Search Term box and click Submit Query
4. Note the topmost entry is LIVE, indicating a non-expired trademark. Click E ENRON in the Word Mark column.

result:

The Enron trademarked logo is currently a live trademark registered by "The College Company LLC DBA Pre-Internet LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY ARKANSAS 1671 S Colonnade Dr Apt 301 Fayetteville ARKANSAS 72701", and the product category is for "IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Shirts; Shirts and short-sleeved shirts; Polo shirts; T-shirts; Tee shirts".

Which is :thejoke: and I was hoping some folks would think someone was running a business using this logo rather than trademarking it in order to be the exclusive provider of t-shirts bearing this logo, lol.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Rummy dies, Enron lives! (On shirts, apparently)

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the only way that could be better is if it was the same idiot bankrolling the new TSR

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
TG As An Industry: Shirts; Shirts and short-sleeved shirts; Polo shirts; T-shirts; Tee shirts

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Shot:

Chaser:

e; for additional context, so far as I'm aware Ernie Gygax has never publicly stated that they're autistic, so there's a very good chance that whoever has been running TSR's twitter just outed them for a clapback

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
And, because you reap what you sow, 95% of the comments responding to the change are very angrily berating them for "bending a knee to the woke crowd".

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kai Tave posted:

Shot:

Chaser:

e; for additional context, so far as I'm aware Ernie Gygax has never publicly stated that they're autistic, so there's a very good chance that whoever has been running TSR's twitter just outed them for a clapback

There's also an additional layer of shittiness beyond just the outing for fake Internet points.

Speaking as an autist, many people tend to be covert about being neurodivergent due to the fact that a lot of people end up treating them differently. Even if someone has obvious 'tells' in not being neurotypical, sometimes it can be brushed off as being 'off' or eccentric. There are people who will view you in a new light if they find out you're autistic, so some people will try to avoid this happening in the first place.

Ernie's claims and reactions are his own to bear, for good or ill. What LaNasa is doing is trying to get people to 1.) associate bigoted statements with the autistic community and 2.) put Ernie in an even tougher spot because people ARE going to treat him like a mental invalid with no filter as a result of #1. Framing any criticism as 'picking on him' also removes agency from Ernie and the consequences of his actions, infantilizing him further.

Granted, I doubt Ernie's going to get many business opportunities in tabletop regardless, but it is going to create a new set of complications in his life even among the chud demographic that LaNasa's trying to appeal to. On the off-chance that some edgy reactionary gamer wants to do business with nu-TSR, they're going to think "uh oh, Ernie's brain isn't working right, I should approach LaNasa instead."

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 2, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This is all very true, and several people on twitter also made some good threads to this extent. It's fractally lovely all the way down.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the way Ernie talked, typed, and seeing him in video a few times, I did get the feeling that he was on the Spectrum. (As one also on it). While I have matured past it a fair amount, in the past I also had similar opinions that he expressed in the past. Things like "who cares about the politics, and what people have done, lets just play games and talk about them." It's a very naïve view, and I hope he matures.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Ernie's claims and reactions are his own to bear, for good or ill. What LaNasa is doing is trying to get people to 1.) associate bigoted statements with the autistic community and 2.) put Ernie in an even tougher spot because people ARE going to treat him like a mental invalid with no filter as a result of #1. Framing any criticism as 'picking on him' also removes agency from Ernie and the consequences of his actions, infantilizing him further.

Yeah. We’re capable of understanding the consequences of our actions and being responsible for what we say and do: we’re not criminally insane.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the way Ernie talked, typed, and seeing him in video a few times, I did get the feeling that he was on the Spectrum. (As one also on it). While I have matured past it a fair amount, in the past I also had similar opinions that he expressed in the past. Things like "who cares about the politics, and what people have done, lets just play games and talk about them." It's a very naïve view, and I hope he matures.

Being an rear end in a top hat is unrelated to being on the spectrum.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Suggesting a hope that a sixty-year-old man matures out of his bigotry isn't exactly not infantilizing people on the autism spectrum.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Libertad! posted:

I doubt that LaNasa has thought this through to that extent. This seems more like dude thinks he found an "I win" button, like so many similar "Aha, you have now criticized one of the taboo targets!" statements made by anti-SJW types because they don't really understand why they're "not allowed" to talk poo poo about minority groups.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think being super sheltered by privilege is really an autism thing so much as just "Please stop bringing up things that make me uncomfortable in my escapist hobby."

Though honestly I would not be surprised that the offspring of a dude who made a career out of codifying adventure combat into a bunch of numbers has autism.

E:

neongrey posted:

Suggesting a hope that a sixty-year-old man matures out of his bigotry isn't exactly not infantilizing people on the autism spectrum.

...do you think that people stop being able to mature as they age or something?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Puppy Time posted:

Though honestly I would not be surprised that the offspring of a dude who made a career out of codifying adventure combat into a bunch of numbers has autism.

Hey could you loving not?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Puppy Time posted:

...do you think that people stop being able to mature as they age or something?
I'm 46 and can confirm I stopped maturing two decades ago.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Maturing is when you get a bit crusty and smell weirder, right?

Let's not let Ernie Gygaxson being a poo poo and possibly on the autism spectrum distract us from the real issue, which is LaNasa being a complete poo poo trying to kick even his mates under the bus to get himself some culture war attention. gently caress them both.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, I think 'who has autism and what it means' chat isn't particularly relevant to this thread -- we can say Ernie G is a bigot without needing to dig any deeper than that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat is unrelated to being on the spectrum.

Oh indeed, I just hope he can grow out of it. But I don't have much hope for him, he will probably be a jerk until he dies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, I think 'who has autism and what it means' chat isn't particularly relevant to this thread -- we can say Ernie G is a bigot without needing to dig any deeper than that.

Yeah I want to be clear I didn't post any of that to be like "ah yes, this casual accusatory diagnosis of autism explains why Ernie Gygax is a toolbox" or whatever because that sucks for all the reasons given, I posted it because A). wow what an exceptionally lovely thing for the TSR handler (LaNasa seems to be the obvious culprit but who knows) to do even compared to all the other lovely things they've been doing, and B). the fact that it was so lovely that TSR is at the very least pretending to now have an actual social media guy taking over.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Puppy Time posted:

Actually, we don't know he does have autism! That's just a new-TSR employee claiming that. Ernie himself hasn't used that excuse to my knowledge, its equally possible they were doing the ol' "actually, I'm a not-visibly obvious minority so in fact, by criticizing me, you have in fact, done a bigot" trick. He just may, but if he is, he hasn't felt the need to be a shithead and claim it, his excuses for his behavior I've seen have been:

- my mom raised me christian
- people mocked me when I was a teenager for playing army mans

and this TSR employee(fired)

-ernie actually has autism, so therefore...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ernie and LaNasa epitomizing the "I'm going to create an X so toxic" where X is brand. Meanwhile:

source

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

^^^ I googled solarian and the first result is some kind of nonbinary male-aligned gender setup and I'm wondering whether they knew this and are doing some kind of weird chess move or not.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Actually, we don't know he does have autism! That's just a new-TSR employee claiming that.

Oh, word, I'm just saying I've known a lot of people on the spectrum who were super into getting down and dirty with the crunchy stuff in RPGs and the like, so if it turned out that any of the Gygax kids were (given heredity of autism), I'd just be like, "Yeah, that tracks."

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 3, 2021

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I don’t think you have to read for weird chess moves with their name given that they posted the rainbow and trans pride flags in their announcement tweet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did Merle Rasmussen threaten to do them like Tito did Stalin or what, that's a pretty abrupt turnaround.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Nessus posted:

Did Merle Rasmussen threaten to do them like Tito did Stalin or what, that's a pretty abrupt turnaround.

I'm not quite sure I understand everything here, but TSRGames/Solarian (no underscore) is a prior holder, mostly unrelated to Ernie Gygax (he did write some columns in the early issues of their "Gygax Magazine" product): https://twitter.com/TSRgames/status/1408199010104479746. I don't know them but their Twitter history makes them seem like reasonably decent, not-terrible people.

TSR_Games (with underscore) is Ernie's and LaNasa's clusterfuck and is still using the TSR name.

Looks like the mess just got toxic enough that TSRGames/Solarian decided to cut out the gangrene and move on.

e: some further discussion on their thoughts here?
https://twitter.com/TSRgames/status/1411030377485897730
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXHafHlwKWg

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So New TSR (not affiliated with original TSR) changed their name so as not to be associated with Gygax-adjacent I Can’t Believe It’s Not TSR (also not affiliated with original TSR)?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Comrade Koba posted:

So New TSR (not affiliated with original TSR) changed their name so as not to be associated with Gygax-adjacent I Can’t Believe It’s Not TSR (also not affiliated with original TSR)?

Yup, even though N-TSR(nawoTSR) took up the name first.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Oh poo poo I thought it was the Gygax dudes. This makes a lot more sense now.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay, wait, does someone actually own the trademark for TSR, because you have to defend those and this situation is becoming pretty blurry.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, wait, does someone actually own the trademark for TSR, because you have to defend those and this situation is becoming pretty blurry.

Yes, Ernie_TSR does, after TopSecret_TSR let it lapse for a year

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DalaranJ posted:

The Ernie Gygax crew sniped the trademark rights out from under the now-Solarian Games, who missed a filing date to maintain control of it. The tweet from before (and above) said Solarian could take it to court and probably win a lawsuit, but they don't have the funds to do so. They were licensing the TSR trademark from the Gygax Crew instead, to print Top Secret (the game) stuff under.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Ernie Gygax crew sniped the trademark rights out from under the now-Solarian Games, who missed a filing date to maintain control of it. The tweet from before (and above) said Solarian could take it to court and probably win a lawsuit, but they don't have the funds to do so. They were licensing the TSR trademark from the Gygax Crew instead, to print Top Secret (the game) stuff under.

They very quickly quickly decided not to license anything from AssholeTSR, because gently caress giving them money or associating with them in any way. Changing their name turned out to be more viable than going to court.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So what I'm hearing is this is a bad month to announce my new company, Tabletop Shonen Rumpus

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A shonen manga focused entirely on rumpus rooms seems oddly plausible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ettin posted:

So what I'm hearing is this is a bad month to announce my new company, Tabletop Shonen Rumpus
You will be hearing from my lawyer

Yrs,

Splicer S. Hitposter, CEO Theoretical Sex Romp Inc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

i feel like TSR has never been a name worth using after its death and it was probably a liability for at least the later period of their existence, or would have been if they had even the slightest interest in rehabbing themselves. WOTC certainly had it right when they bought em up to just get rid of it, as TSR had at that point made it a habit of pissing off any fans who had the slightest bit of an internet presence with shutting down all fan stuff. Thats just the last 10 years of existence, before that they made it their habit to kill competition and even business partners who gave them an in.

Even in the beginnings of the OSR the blogs very much might have had love for the product, but never much for TSR itself. Who out there was nostalgic for TSR?