Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

ErKeL posted:

There are some that I find absolutely critical like the leadership one that lets you upgrade bandit troops and such but most of them generally say what they are on the tin I think. I'm probably playing wrong though.
I hate the perks in this game though. The levelling system has always sucked. You always come up against regular infantry with crazy high weapon skills and athletics somewhat regularly but myself and all my companions run around like they have asthma because it takes a million years to level them.
And then you get into the perks and it's always 50 choices of +2% to something and I'm sitting there like, "Do I even need to care about this or do they all add up eventually into a monstrous stat?"

One thing I’d like would be no cap for skill gain; that your focus points only increased gain rate to a certain level but 1x skill gain would always be available even you your stat was 1 .

In 1.6 the skill gain is pretty nice already (playing easiest difficulty) but it wouldn’t hurt for it to be even higher.

Edit: just made peace with battanians (only remaining faction aside southern empire) for daily tribute of 56 million denarii. As ruler my share is daily 6M denarii.

…. Economy working as intended.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

do NPC lords play by the same rules as the player with respect to money? do the battanian clans have to actually come up with that money every day? that sounds like more money than a kingdom would actually generate in a day. if they don't have enough money do they just underpay you?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

The AI gets money out from nowhere, I’m pretty sure tribute money just appears out of thin air, otherwise the battanians should be pretty much bankrupt by now after 14 days of paying that daily 26M

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Kuzait just had Tyal rebel on them which was pretty cool. Rebellion didn't last long but it was enough to get these guys off my nuts for a bit.
It was perfect timing too because they were besieging my one town and I left like nothing in the garrison so would've been totally hosed.

When they came back I was ready and accidentally murdered the entire noble family in the battle. Also lost my sister which bummed me out a bit. Turns out I should probably avoid putting family on the frontline.
My pregnant wife has been removed from my party and placed as a governor after that one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Gentlegoons.

It is beginning.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3075

We will have Bannerlord pike and shotte.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I guess there'll be a popular balance mod at some point. But with everything added over the past year I will give it a go.

Kingdom wars were stupidly unfair when I last played. I was smashing enemy lords' armies repeatedly but they'd keep gaining their freedom and reforming armies endlessly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Liquid Communism posted:

Gentlegoons.

It is beginning.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3075

We will have Bannerlord pike and shotte.

I am pretty sure a modder can make the AI work with pikes, I mean mods in Warband now have AI that can do that and formations properly.

Still hopefully somebody builds on said mod, just looks like base with muskets. Which is a start.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am super psyched for the Warhammer mod. It looks so silly.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

I haven't played since June 2020 and the update is 20 GB :eyepop:

Looks like they've been busy with perks. Are there any to avoid or is it pretty much common sense?

Morale is working now and doesn't just stay pegged at 100. In fact a lot of stuff reduces it; recruiting prisoners, taking castles. There are a couple of morale perks that are pretty nice in the steward tree - Logistician (note this is horses in your inventory which I always have a ton of) and Gourmet. Also, there is the 2 level perk in roguery tree that removes penalty of recruiting bandit prisoners which is pretty easy to get and really helps with morale loss.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Thanks, I will keep those in mind.

Is it still viable to park archers on high ground and support them with cavalry/infantry as needed? I did well with that tactic when I last played.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Is this patch rolled out yet? I haven't played since release since it was a bit too unfinished but I'm down to pick it up again once this is out

downout
Jul 6, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Thanks, I will keep those in mind.

Is it still viable to park archers on high ground and support them with cavalry/infantry as needed? I did well with that tactic when I last played.

Ya, i usually put infantry behind them in a line and charge the infantry when the enemy is 30 paces away. Archers really tear up oncoming enemies when they have clear line of sight. But the 'ol infantry shield wall line below archers still works great

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

downout posted:

Ya, i usually put infantry behind them in a line and charge the infantry when the enemy is 30 paces away. Archers really tear up oncoming enemies when they have clear line of sight. But the 'ol infantry shield wall line below archers still works great

Also f2-f3 (loose formation) your archers to ensure their back row gets line of sight too.

The one AI tactic this doesn’t work on is cavalry-heavy aggressive AI. They usually try to either bumrush through your line which you might survive or just flank from your left unless you anchor it into the edge of map.

Also for big armies with reinforcement eases make sure you keep your archer line at your spawn if possible- that way your reinforcements drop straight into the enemy face.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
if you're on really flat ground I've had some success with putting my infantry clumped up in front and slightly to the side of my archers. the enemy line advances straight into your fire, and then wraps around your bunched up infantry which exposes their sides and backs to 30 vlandians with crossbows and a grudge. sets them up well for cavalry charges too.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I always kept a decent core of strong cavalry to help draw off some of the enemy's cavalry. I also kept a line of good infantry behind my archers, ready to charge once the enemy closed in. That was usually a winning formula. I'm glad it sounds like they've not nerfed it to oblivion.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I assign my pikemen and menvallion to my archer sections. Seems to make the cavalry charges less successful.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Can you command infantry units separately? So swordsmen and spearman as separate units? That would be nice

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jakabite posted:

Can you command infantry units separately? So swordsmen and spearman as separate units? That would be nice

Yes - you can assign each troop type a numeric designator, like 1-7 I think.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yes - you can assign each troop type a numeric designator, like 1-7 I think.

Oh poo poo this is a game changer

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you do it in the party screen I'm pretty sure.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah you do it in the party screen I'm pretty sure.

in particular you click the little roman numeral and it opens up a list of I to like VII, where each roman numeral corresponds to a different formation you can select in battle with the number keys, and all troops of that type will be assigned to that formation

i'm pretty sure this system also is the cause of the bug where when you select cavalry your guy shouts "infantry!" where if you have a companion and you put him on a horse the game automatically moves him to the other guys with horses in combat, but if he's still a I the game looks at the highest-priority to troop in the formation, which will be the companion, and decides it's an infantry (I) formation

i liked to put the "borrowed troops" in their own formation so i can tell them to go charge looters on their own and level them up quick

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Schwza posted:

I assign my pikemen and menvallion to my archer sections. Seems to make the cavalry charges less successful.

!!!
I like this idea.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Schwza posted:

This is a pretty interesting idea. If the menlavions are in the infantry, then they run out in front, get surrounded, and die since they are so much faster. And putting the spear/pike footman in with archers is pretty novel. Don't make them chase the cav; let them wait for the cav to come for them!

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
It doesn't save your archers taking some losses but it makes the cavalry pay for it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
So far I’ve not really been using spears much at all. My standard setup is to have archers in front and sword and board infantry behind in a skein, and a decent company of cavalry following me. I use my cav unit to screen the archers and generally distract their cav until it’s time for the archers to move to the side and infantry to charge. Then reposition the archers to the side of the melee so they can keep a steady stream of arrows going into the enemy’s side/back. It usually doesn’t take long for the enemy to rout at this point but then I’m also hitting them with a full charge from the back.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

He's some mod trip reports for the mod curious:

Freelancer- A cool mod where you can enlist as a regular soldier in an NPC army. You rank up and promote to different unit types based on the number of kills you get. It's fun to work your way up from lovely tier 1 man with stick to elite mounted death machine. And if you get 190 kills you can get an honorable discharge and keep your chest armor, which is usually the best armor of that faction's style, so it's a relatively "quick" way to get one of the hyper rare 300k armor pieces. It also has the ability to play as a bandit with your own bandit squad and hideout, or as a caravan guard.

RTS Camera- GET RTS CAMERA. It will randomly crash your game during battles(crashes seem to be related to long battles where you go into and out of the camera mode a lot of times in my experience) but you won't care because you will be wondering how the gently caress you played before you had this mod installed. Now you can really be an infantry guy and not need to still ride a horse so you can see over your soldiers and command them! Just save before every battle (like you already don't do this to save scum)

Realistic Battle Mod- Think it's dumb that a peasant can hit you with a rake and hurt you? Want to laugh at archers as they flee in terror after emptying their quivers to no effect? Want Sturgia to be an unstoppable juggernaut? This is the mod for you! Armor really matters, and battles last a LOT longer because of it. I think it's a cool thing to try out, but in my opinion it swings the Realism <---> Fun pendulum too far to the left. It's not very satisfying to line up a couched lance charge and slam into a top tier infantry unit at full speed but only do 40 damage because 400 got absorbed by the armor. You can't be a dynasty warrior hero with this mod, mobs of rake peasants will take a long time to kill you but they will stun lock you so you'll eventually lose any fight you're outnumbered in. HOWEVER, it's worth it to use their better AI module on it's own. Enemies will use tactics other than charge! It does turn every NPC into an insane parry master if you play on the highest difficulty though, be warned.

Improved Garrisons- Takes the worst part of the game (rebuilding an army) and does it for you. Settlements will auto recruit from surrounding settlements! Configurable training (set daily EXP amounts, limit training to certain levels). Hell, you can build a template and say "I want 50 of these guys, 30 of those guys, and 75 of that guy" and it'll recruit and train that army up for you. Also you can set up guard patrols to deal with all the bandit spam. You still have to pay for everything so aside from training a little faster than the vanilla game does it's not really cheaty at all, just a nice time saver.

Diplomacy- Extensive and useful overhaul for Diplomacy options. Non-aggression pacts, alliances, the ability to declare war or peace without your stupid vassals needing to agree with you. The best feature could be a standalone mod all on it's own and I'd recommend it: send a messenger to any NPC from their encyclopedia entry and never have to track someone down to talk to them ever again!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will vouch for the "blob of shield guys in front and to the side of your archers" strat.

Set them to square or circle, basically anything that can deal with getting surrounded a bit, and put them far enough forward and to the side that the enemy prefers to go for them, then shoot them in the back while they batter at your shieldmans.

You can try a line too if you have enough infantry to handle the enemy stacking up on them a bit.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GruntyThrst posted:

but in my opinion it swings the Realism <---> Fun pendulum too far to the left. It's not very satisfying to line up a couched lance charge and slam into a top tier infantry unit at full speed but only do 40 damage because 400 got absorbed by the armor.

I'm not sure that's making things any more realistic either tbh

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i like drastic battle as an alternative to realistic battle mod for changing vanilla combat. Melee friendly fire, shields less effective against arrows, changes to armor formulas. The cavalry changes are a bit wild - charges can blast through anything, but you can kill your horse doing it....

also a fan of De Re Militari for changing the troop trees such that armies will remain composed mainly of 'regular' troops.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grumpy right now, something about this update has me crashing every time I open the encyclopedia.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Grumpy right now, something about this update has me crashing every time I open the encyclopedia.

I'm having fun with a 1.60 game, but I did discover that doing any of the Rival Gangs town quests made my saves unloadable. Not a big loss, those quests are kinda fun because you actually fight in your civilian clothes but it's not like it's ruining my experience to not do them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Could be mod related, try disabling them if you haven't?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Melee friendly fire

That sounds loving awful considering how much my troops love getting in the way during a melee. How does it work in practise?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Could be mod related, try disabling them if you haven't?

Yeah, I stripped it down to nothing and was still getting the issue. Doing a fresh install now to see if that fixes it. Edit: It did.

I agree on melee friendly fire, my troops swing through each other all the drat time, especially if I use Shield Wall.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 2, 2021

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

GruntyThrst posted:

He's some mod trip reports for the mod curious:

Freelancer- A cool mod where you can enlist as a regular soldier in an NPC army. You rank up and promote to different unit types based on the number of kills you get. It's fun to work your way up from lovely tier 1 man with stick to elite mounted death machine. And if you get 190 kills you can get an honorable discharge and keep your chest armor, which is usually the best armor of that faction's style, so it's a relatively "quick" way to get one of the hyper rare 300k armor pieces. It also has the ability to play as a bandit with your own bandit squad and hideout, or as a caravan guard.

RTS Camera- GET RTS CAMERA. It will randomly crash your game during battles(crashes seem to be related to long battles where you go into and out of the camera mode a lot of times in my experience) but you won't care because you will be wondering how the gently caress you played before you had this mod installed. Now you can really be an infantry guy and not need to still ride a horse so you can see over your soldiers and command them! Just save before every battle (like you already don't do this to save scum)

Realistic Battle Mod- Think it's dumb that a peasant can hit you with a rake and hurt you? Want to laugh at archers as they flee in terror after emptying their quivers to no effect? Want Sturgia to be an unstoppable juggernaut? This is the mod for you! Armor really matters, and battles last a LOT longer because of it. I think it's a cool thing to try out, but in my opinion it swings the Realism <---> Fun pendulum too far to the left. It's not very satisfying to line up a couched lance charge and slam into a top tier infantry unit at full speed but only do 40 damage because 400 got absorbed by the armor. You can't be a dynasty warrior hero with this mod, mobs of rake peasants will take a long time to kill you but they will stun lock you so you'll eventually lose any fight you're outnumbered in. HOWEVER, it's worth it to use their better AI module on it's own. Enemies will use tactics other than charge! It does turn every NPC into an insane parry master if you play on the highest difficulty though, be warned.

Improved Garrisons- Takes the worst part of the game (rebuilding an army) and does it for you. Settlements will auto recruit from surrounding settlements! Configurable training (set daily EXP amounts, limit training to certain levels). Hell, you can build a template and say "I want 50 of these guys, 30 of those guys, and 75 of that guy" and it'll recruit and train that army up for you. Also you can set up guard patrols to deal with all the bandit spam. You still have to pay for everything so aside from training a little faster than the vanilla game does it's not really cheaty at all, just a nice time saver.

Diplomacy- Extensive and useful overhaul for Diplomacy options. Non-aggression pacts, alliances, the ability to declare war or peace without your stupid vassals needing to agree with you. The best feature could be a standalone mod all on it's own and I'd recommend it: send a messenger to any NPC from their encyclopedia entry and never have to track someone down to talk to them ever again!

That freelancer mod is dope

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wearing a lampshade posted:

That freelancer mod is dope

Apparently the mod author is done with updating this mod any further because of Taleworld's response to some modders on their forum? The mod author has a long post about it on the mod page on Nexus mods. Something about Taleworlds refusing to change Internal Flags to Public, I dunno anything about software development. Oh well.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Apparently the mod author is done with updating this mod any further because of Taleworld's response to some modders on their forum? The mod author has a long post about it on the mod page on Nexus mods. Something about Taleworlds refusing to change Internal Flags to Public, I dunno anything about software development. Oh well.

Works for this version, i guess once it breaks ill be bummed but until then its a pretty good idea for a mod.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

basically there are a lot of parts and subsystems in the game that modders want to be able to change by replacing the vanilla implementation with their own code but Taleworlds has set things to not be changeable by other code, probably because writing code that can be expected to work if someone else (or multiple someone elses) adds a function that reaches into your code and changes a part of it is a lot harder and more time consuming than not doing that

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am having an issue on the beta branch with finding a wife.

No matter what, the only option I have is for me and my brother to marry her at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Looks it's basically the dark ages you can't so progressive like that, marrying family members is the in thing