Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Y’all just don’t let up, do you? :argh:

Okay! How about this: a trio of fifty foot anthropomorphic farting butts that terrorize Springfield which The Vindicators must save.

I call them “GIGANTIC ASSES.”

Original idea!! DO NOT STEAL!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1410583819372183552?s=21
Hey, this clip is expressively animated! It looks like they actually made an effort! What's the deal? (0:28 hits) d'oh

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

emgeejay posted:

Hey, this clip is expressively animated! It looks like they actually made an effort! What's the deal? (0:28 hits) d'oh

On a related note, I keep seeing episodes of Family Guy on mute when I'm at the gym. Having no audio really highlights how awful the animation is. The character that is talking moves their hands around and blinks, but is otherwise completely motionless. Every character that isn't talking is completely motionless.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

current vibe:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

On a related note, I keep seeing episodes of Family Guy on mute when I'm at the gym. Having no audio really highlights how awful the animation is. The character that is talking moves their hands around and blinks, but is otherwise completely motionless. Every character that isn't talking is completely motionless.

Yeah it's rough. I tried watching F is For Family and dang that is not good. It's a cartoon where they can swear and show nudity, except South Park has been doing that for decades. It's not the worst but got repetitive fast. I was hoping the 70s setting might do something but they quickly hit a "this guy is fat, lol" and "this character is gay and that's his only trait" ceiling.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

emgeejay posted:

Holy poo poo that's bad. So they CAN still do decent animation, they just never care to.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

what the gently caress is the shadow that appears on burns at 0:41

you'd think there's someone in charge of drawing shadows and he's just throwing poo poo out there to look busy since he's just happen to have a job

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's to suggest Apu's presence. Shadows in modern Simpsons are pretty hosed though, I think it has to do with the animation software they use.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Harsh light sources are everywhere, yet nowhere in modern-day Simpsons. It looks like poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was never clear on why they went with cool shade colors for default lighting. Particularly with the color yellow, it gets really unpleasant with that slimy grey-green color.

Look how nice and warm those are. Even when it was dramatic and spooky, it had those nice, warm shadows.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Even when it was dramatic and spooky, it had those nice, warm shadows.

:hmmyes:

Cool shade colors make modern Simpsons look like CTRL+ALT+DEL levels of bad.

Classic Simpsons used [warm] shadows for comedic or dramatic effect, and when they executed it, it was really pleasant looking and made sense. Another good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSuCAYHzpfQ

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 2, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm on season 15. I don't know when I'll have to just completely stop.

Anyway, this episode was about parents vs non-parents and one of the characters touted an advantage to not having children was having disposable income. My how things have changed.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm on season 15. I don't know when I'll have to just completely stop.

Anyway, this episode was about parents vs non-parents and one of the characters touted an advantage to not having children was having disposable income. My how things have changed.

I definitely have disposable income compared to my friends with similar incomes who have kids, so the joke works. It's not funny, but it works.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It works considerably less today than it did nearly twenty years ago. A child would absolutely bankrupt me right now.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Was this cursed article ever posted here?

https://twitter.com/VICEUK/status/1369941426650279941

quote:

When he was around ten years old, bartender Liam was obsessed with all things Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie – one Christmas, his entire wish list was filled solely with Simpsons stuff. Yet last May, the 28-year-old Mancunian came to a shocking realisation. Although he still believes older Simpsons episodes are “timeless classics”, he actually prefers the newer stuff.

“I generally prefer the newer episodes because the writing always reflects the current times,” he says when asked to explain himself. “I think the writers have done very well in terms of making sure that the content ages with its audience.”

Liam enjoys it when modern episodes reference current tech and culture such as Netflix and Fortnite and likes that most of the characters now have smartphones. His favourite new Simpsons episode is Season 31’s “Bart the Bad Guy”, in which Bart sees a superhero film a month before it comes out and blackmails Springfield by threatening to spoil the film – Liam likes that it was clearly inspired by Avengers: Endgame.

”My take is that the earlier episodes are funnier but the newer episodes are more well-written,” he argues, adding that the latest episodes also “look nicer”.

lmbo his favorite episode is the Vindicators one. also, I looked up that episode to make sure that's what it was and they call it the Marble Cinematic Universe. MARBLE. That is our cutting parody of famous comic brand. loving Mapple.

quote:

This is a sentiment shared by Erin, a 32-year-old medical student from Indianapolis. “Honestly, the animation is creepy to me,” she says of older episodes. “It’s not aesthetically pleasing and that turns me off.”

As a child, Erin was “strictly forbidden” from watching The Simpsons because her parents feared it would give her a “bad attitude” – a sentiment famously shared by George HW Bush. Although she started enjoying Simpsons reruns in high school, Erin realised that she preferred the newer stuff to the old around 2014, when the show was in its 26th season.

“The humour just feels fresher to me and a little less... crass is maybe the word I am looking for?” she explains. “I think I find the various pop culture references funnier, and I like the guest appearances from the later episodes.”

Erin goes as far to say that she doesn’t understand why people insist the old stuff is best: “I’d love to hear them articulate why because I really don’t get it. There’s something almost abstract about the old stuff that is just unappealing to me… Too much of the humour is about Homer screaming at Bart.”

I'm kind of shocked that these people aren't all under 25 or 60+. I can't imagine being a millennial or gen X and not connecting more to older, more "abstract" Simpsons. I'm down with fresh and less crass when it comes to something like Parks and Rec, but I can't imagine looking at the way new Simpsons does it without it feeling soulless.

This guy is 22 though

quote:

“I find entire episodes to be more memorable,” he explains, “whereas in earlier seasons I instead recall more of the humour.” His favourite episode of all time is Season 27’s “Barthood” – a parody of the critically acclaimed coming-of-age drama Boyhood. “It really allowed me to connect to a character I sometimes struggle to like. It actually brought a tear to my eye.” He calls the episode “beautifully written” and notes that it also made him laugh multiple times.

Mitchell still believes that many older episodes do have superior qualities – for example, he preferred it when Lisa acted more like a kid and not “some weird super intelligent adult” – but he disagrees with the widely held belief that Homer has become dumber over time. He also finds the old animation style “distracting”. While he doesn’t deny that newer episodes can regularly miss the mark, he loves that, “it feels more satirical than it did before, and it isn’t afraid to shake up the formula for something interesting”.

I quoted this guy because his favorite episode being a lazy movie parody that is also yet another bad future episode. I want to ask this guy... did you see Boyhood? Is it just easier to watch a distilled version with the funny cartoon characters and tell yourself you've got the best of both worlds? Like, "And Maggie Makes Three" is a "beautifully written" cartoon, isn't watching the Simpsons ape a blockbuster drama just painfully transparent?

Yeah I know it's a dumb Vice clickbait article, please don't put in the newspaper that I got mad

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Ror posted:

Was this cursed article ever posted here?

https://twitter.com/VICEUK/status/1369941426650279941

lmbo his favorite episode is the Vindicators one. also, I looked up that episode to make sure that's what it was and they call it the Marble Cinematic Universe. MARBLE. That is our cutting parody of famous comic brand. loving Mapple.

I'm kind of shocked that these people aren't all under 25 or 60+. I can't imagine being a millennial or gen X and not connecting more to older, more "abstract" Simpsons. I'm down with fresh and less crass when it comes to something like Parks and Rec, but I can't imagine looking at the way new Simpsons does it without it feeling soulless.

This guy is 22 though

I quoted this guy because his favorite episode being a lazy movie parody that is also yet another bad future episode. I want to ask this guy... did you see Boyhood? Is it just easier to watch a distilled version with the funny cartoon characters and tell yourself you've got the best of both worlds? Like, "And Maggie Makes Three" is a "beautifully written" cartoon, isn't watching the Simpsons ape a blockbuster drama just painfully transparent?

Yeah I know it's a dumb Vice clickbait article, please don't put in the newspaper that I got mad

This is pretty funny, even if these people are made up.

The line about older episodes being "abstract" is the clincher. My theory is that this is what humanity is evolving into: a Homo Economicus without any internal monologue, just a machine for frictionlessly consuming references to prior stimuli.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

porfiria posted:

The line about older episodes being "abstract" is the clincher. My theory is that this is what humanity is evolving into: a Homo Economicus without any internal monologue, just a machine for frictionlessly consuming references to prior stimuli.

yea I really try not to be one of those 'american society's view of art is decaying so loving badly' types, especially over the loving simpsons, but boy is it amazing to read a grown adult saying 'I don't like that crasser and abstract feeling old stuff, I like the stuff that reminds me of the MCU and Boyhood because I like those movies already!'

Absolutely loving brutal

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
We found him, people

king of the Fuckbois

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ror posted:

I don't even see how 90s-era Simpsons was "crass" especially when compared to even early 2000s Simpsons. Remember when Homer got raped by a panda? Remember when Marge got breast implants? Remember the weird gross out joke with Homer's bulging eye? I don't even remember the context for that one, just that it struck me as "weirdly not-Simpsons" when I saw it.

And look at similar shows that arrived around that time, including South Park and Family Guy.

Or as a modern example, Rick and Morty, which seems like it's basically just swearing, gross-out humor, and child abuse with a thin veneer of sci-fi layered over it. Or Archer, which is everything I said about Rick and Morty minus "child abuse" and replace "sci-fi" with "James Bond pastiche"

It was definitely crass for its era, but the crassness bar has been raised so high at this point that it's downright tame and innocuous. Ren and Stimpy was far worse in the same era and that was ostensibly a children's cartoon.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Simpsons was 89 and South park was 97 and Family Guy was 99 so The Simpsons had a head start on lowering the moral standards of this nation enough to allow those crasser shows to exist

Bart Simpson said hell and drat, he called his father by his first name, he skateboarded, and disrespected his parents, teachers, and religious leaders. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

e: and he put moth balls in the beef stew

you broke my grill fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 2, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's weird, I don't remember anyone's family or parents banning the show, because "hell" and "drat" wasn't even considered a big deal by the 90s, people had been saying that on primetime TV for years. Skateboarding and skater talk was already passe, and the disrespecting of teachers and such was, you know, fictional. There was no moral panic in my elementary and middle school about it. Everyone knew what it was, a cartoon, mostly for adults. I don't doubt that there were some people out there like that but even at the time being a young kid? I thought the show was mostly toothless and, again, not real life. Entertaining and funny and witty, and that's about it.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 2, 2021

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

porfiria posted:

Bart, when the walls fell.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/maggieroswell/status/1410592845417783304?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sexpig by night posted:

yea I really try not to be one of those 'american society's view of art is decaying so loving badly' types, especially over the loving simpsons, but boy is it amazing to read a grown adult saying 'I don't like that crasser and abstract feeling old stuff, I like the stuff that reminds me of the MCU and Boyhood because I like those movies already!'

Absolutely loving brutal

I say it's just like the people who have the TV on all day and never actually pay attention to it, instead scrolling on their phones and occasionally glancing at the screen, so they don't pay enough attention to actually get any jokes or follow any storylines and just laugh at the familiar things but misspelled on purpose.

Also, vvv: It's hard to understate how stupid things were when the religious 'family values' people actually had meaningful influence.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

AHH F/UGH posted:

It's weird, I don't remember anyone's family or parents banning the show, because "hell" and "drat" wasn't even considered a big deal by the 90s, people had been saying that on primetime TV for years. Skateboarding and skater talk was already passe, and the disrespecting of teachers and such was, you know, fictional. There was no moral panic in my elementary and middle school about it. Everyone knew what it was, a cartoon, mostly for adults. I don't doubt that there were some people out there like that but even at the time being a young kid? I thought the show was mostly toothless and, again, not real life. Entertaining and funny and witty, and that's about it.

It absolutely was a big deal in the early 90s. My parents weren't sure if it was appropriate for me to watch at the age of 8 in 1990. The themes and light profanity was a huge hot button issue at the time. Bush famously said that families need to be "more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons".

It was largely a non issue by the mid 90s, but from 1990 to 1993 or so it was a big deal.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AHH F/UGH posted:

"More like the Waltons, less like the Simpsons" was a christian broadcasting conference, so maybe you just weren't near the kinds of people given to moral panic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-T5eSUm-js

Can't get the timecodes to work.

efb.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It absolutely was a big deal in the early 90s. My parents weren't sure if it was appropriate for me to watch at the age of 8 in 1990. The themes and light profanity was a huge hot button issue at the time. Bush famously said that families need to be "more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons".

It was largely a non issue by the mid 90s, but from 1990 to 1993 or so it was a big deal.

Wasn't there a TV spot or something where that broadcast was on the Simpsons' TV and Bart responded "we're just like the Waltons, we're living through a great depression too"

It's stuck in my mind because it's a loving great comeback.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The United States finding The Simpsons subversive is funny to me. Things seem to have changed pretty quick in the 90s though.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Maybe it's just an Oregon thing and we were pretty progressive at that time. I think I remember hearing one time about some kid whose parents banned it, but that was it. The rest of us were talking about last night's episode every Monday at school for years and years, right from the start up until the mid-90s.

Party Boat posted:

Wasn't there a TV spot or something where that broadcast was on the Simpsons' TV and Bart responded "we're just like the Waltons, we're living through a great depression too"

It's stuck in my mind because it's a loving great comeback.

3:40 in the video posted above

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ah poo poo I didn't check the video. Impressed I remembered the quote almost exactly lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

spaceblancmange posted:

The United States finding The Simpsons subversive is funny to me. Things seem to have changed pretty quick in the 90s though.

You have to keep in mind that there was nothing on TV like "Dead Bart" in the 90s, except perhaps the meat episode of Seinfeld. Nowadays every animated show has it's own hyperrrealistic death sequence.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I say it's just like the people who have the TV on all day and never actually pay attention to it, instead scrolling on their phones and occasionally glancing at the screen, so they don't pay enough attention to actually get any jokes or follow any storylines and just laugh at the familiar things but misspelled on purpose.

Yeah, there was never a golden age of television. For every Breaking Bad, there was a Big Bang Theory.

I remember in the later seasons of Cheers that writers were having a harder time judging from the audience reaction how good their scripts were because people would just laugh at anything that came out of Norm's mouth. They were excited to see him.

I doubt that these people in this article have even seen a classic episode of the Simpsons - at least not since they were young. What they're saying just doesn't make sense. Look at stuff like "And Maggie Makes Three," there's great joke execution, and there's a great emotional payoff at the end.

But if you're idea of comedy is referential (aka the people Date Movie and Epic Movie were made for), yeah, modern Simpsons is better than classic since that was a show produced by nerds in the 90s.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You can't even talk to someone who actively prefers the animation style of zombie simpsons to the hand-drawn years. It's like someone saying Paul McCartney's latest solo album is better than Revolver because it wasn't recorded on an analog 8-track and mixed for mono. Like saying Aladdin (2019) was better than Aladdin (1992) because the former is in HD and has expensive CGI. There's a weird thing with the youths nowadays where they want to evaluate art strictly by criteria that can be measured objectively. Did YouTube spread that? It's a very consumerist point of view.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 2, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Imagined posted:

You can't even talk to someone who actively prefers the animation style of zombie simpsons to the hand-drawn years. It's like someone saying Paul McCartney's latest solo album is better than Revolver because it wasn't recorded on an analog 8-track and mixed for mono. Like saying Aladdin (2019) was better than Aladdin (1992) because the former is in HD and has expensive CGI. There's a weird thing with the youths nowadays where they want to evaluate art strictly by criteria that can be measured objectively. Did YouTube spread that? It's a very consumerist point of view.

That's nothing new.

A lot of silent films are permanently lost because studios didn't see a need preserve them after talkies came out.

A lot of mono reels for albums were trashed because music studios thought people would only want the stereo versions going forward.

I know grown-rear end adults who can't watch black and white movies, and that's nothing new.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Imagined posted:

Nah, I think mass entertainment media driven at the production level primarily by technology has always been consumerist by default, due to how they're both distinctly products of capitalism. People took to talkies pretty quickly and began treating silent movies as passé, even though the best silent films easily stand up against a great deal of sound films, and certainly most early talkies, many of which were crap. And let's not get started on how so many people proclaimed Star Wars to be the best film of the '70s, a decade with an almost countless number of better films from multiple backgrounds. Appreciation of art and craftsmanship has always been a thing and still is, it's just that mega-conglomerate products and the Internet make the crap seem a lot more ubiquitous.

lol efb

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 2, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The users of this forum are definitely entering the first stage of the 'kids today!!' period of their lives

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's nothing new.

A lot of silent films are permanently lost because studios didn't see a need preserve them after talkies came out.

A lot of mono reels for albums were trashed because music studios thought people would only want the stereo versions going forward.

I know grown-rear end adults who can't watch black and white movies, and that's nothing new.

A lot (most?) of early Dr. Who episodes are lost because the BBC didn't think anyone would ever care and reused tapes. I think at one point they also just threw them out wholesale. Occasionally someone will come across a fragment of an episode that their grandma recorded with an 8 mm camera or something like that. IMO the history of Dr. Who is a lot more interesting than the show itself.

MST3K has a similar problem with a different cause; the very first episodes that aired on Minnesota public access TV are largely unavailable because the creators own the original tapes and think they're embarrassing and have never released them. Most of them only aired once. That, combined with copyright issues with films they used, mean that most MST3K episodes can never be aired again and the best you can do is find :filez: of them. Even when it was still on the air and in reruns, they'd hit problems where the owner of the copyright of, say, Hercules vs the Moon Men would say "we originally licensed you the rights for $10,000. But because of your show, this movie is much more valuable to you! ONE MILLION DOLLARS", so the license would expire and they couldn't rerun the episode anymore.

There was a big effort in the late 90s/early 2000s to create an MST3K digital archive of every available episode from VHS tapes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

multijoe posted:

The users of this forum are definitely entering the first stage of the 'kids today!!' period of their lives

Well yeah. When I say "youths" I'm deliberately showing my hand that I'm aware I'm saying something very "get off my lawn!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I think it's harder to identify this mindset in the past because the movies, music, and TV shows that hold up aren't the same as the most popular of the era.

Take Avatar. Movie was huge because of the technology. But any time it gets brought up, it is almost always to talk about how unremarkable and forgettable the film seems to be in the public consciousness.

And yet you have people making references to 30 years old Simpsons episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

By the mid 90s there were definitely still people upset about it, mostly heavy conservatives. In 97 I remember going to a friend's house and learning he was forbidden from watching it - no surprise that his family was the most religious in town.

I don't even see how 90s-era Simpsons was "crass" especially when compared to even early 2000s Simpsons. Remember when Homer got raped by a panda? Remember when Marge got breast implants? Remember the weird gross out joke with Homer's bulging eye? I don't even remember the context for that one, just that it struck me as "weirdly not-Simpsons" when I saw it.

And look at similar shows that arrived around that time, including South Park and Family Guy.

Or as a modern example, Rick and Morty, which seems like it's basically just swearing, gross-out humor, and child abuse with a thin veneer of sci-fi layered over it. Or Archer, which is everything I said about Rick and Morty minus "child abuse" and replace "sci-fi" with "James Bond pastiche"

It was definitely crass for its era, but the crassness bar has been raised so high at this point that it's downright tame and innocuous. Ren and Stimpy was far worse in the same era and that was ostensibly a children's cartoon.

It may be worth noting that we don't know what their definition of "early Simpsons" is. When we think of "classic Simpsons" we obviously mean before season 9 or so, but to someone who's a fan of season 30 or whatever, they may consider anything before like season 15 as "classic". They might watch Simpson Safari or Homer getting raped by the panda (season 12) and think THOSE were the classic episodes everybody raves about. For a while in high school / early college I hadn't watched the series for 7-8 years and had forgotten exactly where the "good" seasons ended, and I remember feeling like "it was decent up until around season 10 or 11 I think" - after all, some relatively well-known jokes and memes come from that era. Tomacco and Stupid Sexy Flanders are both season 11. So someone wanting to try out "classic" Simpsons watches some other season 11 episodes like Kill the Alligator and Run or Saddlesore Galactica and wonders where the good poo poo everyone is talking about.

That or the focus on "weird animation" means they only try out the first season or two, where things were really really rough. Particularly in the first season, I could see someone watching No Disgrace Like Home and thinking the "classic" era is all bizarre animation and people being horrible to each other. I had a coworker recently who had never watched the Simpsons, and legit thought that crude animation lasted for like, 5+ seasons.