Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Caesar Saladin posted:

"Ratropolis combines roguelite, deck building, and tower defense with real time strategy gameplay."

jesus christ its like someone ate a bunch of pc games and puked them up on the floor

That's real loving common nowadays and yes it's disgusting. It's like a huge parade or red flags, and while something good may come out of it it still speaks volumes of the type of vision the creator is working with.

Example Dead Cells: Good game with super solid platforming fundamentals, but the steam description was a Markov chain of marketing buzzwords and it kinda shows in the lategame and vertical progression. It's kinda like the dev didn't know exactly what the final product was gonna look like, so let's throw some stuff in and see what works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Duck and Cover posted:

ITS A loving FARCRY. A lovely Farcry at that in that you're crafting all your ammo constantly (for all I know newer than Farcry 3, may have constant ammo crafting). Grumble grumble. It's okay I stopped playing and moved on to Ratropolis which I had bought at some point and never played.

Lmao

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you can change its difficulty which is one of the reasons it's the best souls like

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

That's real loving common nowadays and yes it's disgusting. It's like a huge parade or red flags, and while something good may come out of it it still speaks volumes of the type of vision the creator is working with.

Example Dead Cells: Good game with super solid platforming fundamentals, but the steam description was a Markov chain of marketing buzzwords and it kinda shows in the lategame and vertical progression. It's kinda like the dev didn't know exactly what the final product was gonna look like, so let's throw some stuff in and see what works?

Dead cells started development as a kind of wave defense type thing and the creator ended up dropping what didn’t work and growing the game into what it was released as pretty organically, at least. It ended up with all the buzzwords but I don’t think they set out with a bunch of marketing terms as a design document.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dead cells started development as a kind of wave defense type thing and the creator ended up dropping what didn’t work and growing the game into what it was released as pretty organically, at least. It ended up with all the buzzwords but I don’t think they set out with a bunch of marketing terms as a design document.

I mean yea exactly. Nobody would ever design the vertical progression on a whiteboard the way it is in DeadCells, it's just what he ended up with after making a game that worked. The word salad description I feel is what you do when trying to explain something to third party when you're slightly unsure of what you exactly have.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
What is vertical progression? Is it synergetic? Is it agile?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Workaday Wizard posted:

What is vertical progression? Is it synergetic? Is it agile?

Vertical progression as in getting more powerful as opposed to horizontal progression where you unlock more tools or ways to play. Most games have both to a degree, but when somebody says a game has vertical progression, it means little variety, number go up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's leveraging low-hanging fruit!

(It's when numbers-get-bigger, e.g. both your hp/damage rise but you're not doing anything different. Compared to getting a new sword technique or whatever)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

What about depth progression?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
So are WOW and Diablo 3 horizontal or vertical

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Armitag3 posted:

Applicable only in diving games.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Both as you get more abilities and also hit harder with each level.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They're horizontal because they progress me right to sleep.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the dick is vertical progression and the balls are horizontal progression

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

the dick is vertical progression and the balls are horizontal progression

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fig.1 - 3

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Armitag3 posted:

dig dug was awesome.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Play posted:

That reminds me, anyone else remember Cel Damage? That game was also ahead of its time. Not because car based brawlers became popular after that (they basically disappeared after that) but so many video games come out these days in that cutesy, block color style.

It actually looked quite good though, for the Gamecube. I remember the devil car whose powerups could literally shred other cars to bits and destroy them, you could use it three times before needing to recharge and it was so ridiculously OP.

This was actually an OG XBox launch game in Europe IIRC. Remember thinking it looked like the only interesting game at launch, aside from DOA3. Didn't know it got ported to the Gamecube.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

In TIE Fighter (DOS) I feel like a single TIE can destroy a rebel corvette too easily by itself. You just need to pound it with lasers for a short while.

I feel like anything bigger than a fighter should require TIE bombers.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

lobsterminator posted:

In TIE Fighter (DOS) I feel like a single TIE can destroy a rebel corvette too easily by itself. You just need to pound it with lasers for a short while.

I'm pretty sure that every single space sim out there, with the notable exception of Freespace, has zero logic/balance on the difference between small and big things. Like pretty much all of them have the whole 'player in a leaky dingy can take out battleships, it just takes skill! (and tedium)'

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Serephina posted:

I'm pretty sure that every single space sim out there, with the notable exception of Freespace, has zero logic/balance on the difference between small and big things. Like pretty much all of them have the whole 'player in a leaky dingy can take out battleships, it just takes skill! (and tedium)'

Tedium and space videogames, is this the EVEOnline thread?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

There has never been interesting space combat in the history of video games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
To further expand on that idea i believe Star Fox is the worst snes game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

wrong, FTL

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

To further expand on that idea i believe Star Fox is the worst snes game

This isn't true, but man it hasn't aged well.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Well yeah star fox 2 is worse but it doesn't count

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

actually star fox rules

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Star Fox was cool but ran like utter dogshit, especially the PAL-version. That said it has nothing on Stunt Race FX and that mech game nobody remembers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me9mMw7EIMI

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Rutibex posted:

wrong, FTL

Good point FTL owns, I was just playing it the other day.

But I meant more like space "sims" where you fly towards each other shooting boring lasers, then turn around and repeat.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Good point FTL owns, I was just playing it the other day.

But I meant more like space "sims" where you fly towards each other shooting boring lasers, then turn around and repeat.

Thats boring whether its space or terrestrial

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The pinnacle of space combat video games in the Starfighter Assault mode of Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Whatever you do, don't let Derek Smart see this

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

I agree but I still love tie fighter

"Gamma 1 is the emperor's stool pigeon" is still the best line in all videogames don't @ me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Starlancer didn’t let you shoot cap ships to death, you had to take out their point defense systems by shooting the turrets from under the shields so that torpedo bombers could kill them. I fuckin’ loved starlancer though it had you playing goalie against torpedoes for your own ships a lot

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Children of a Dead Earth?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Saying a game looks too dated is ridiculous. We didn't devolve as a species into troglodytes that are only capable of comprehending 4k graphics.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Dead Cells was a game that really surprised me, because in the first hour or so of game play I really didn't like it and abandoned it for a few months. I can't remember why I came back to it but, for a period of time, it transformed into my most-played game (well, the ONLY game, as I'm not what I would call a "gamer" *joker image*). But I ended up putting maybe over 100 hours into it eventually, which is crazy for me.

It looks great (IMO) and avoids that pitfall that I think a lot of indie devs fall into with pixel art style graphics - as if the fact that they're simply using 8-bit/16-bit art is some incredible thing by itself. Dead Cells is an example of the devs using that style but not forgetting to also make it look great. They still incorporate light beams, fading particles, etc (I don't know the exact terms, I'm sorry thread), and the smoothness of the animations of the player character as well as the enemies, environment, etc shown that a lot of care went into creating the game's visuals

It also got hard as gently caress, which is fine, but it does also do that thing where enemies level up as you do so it sort of steals any sense of character progression that you might feel. But the difficulty of it, the HP of the enemies and so on, tends to increase in chunks rather than parallel to every level up that you have, so you DO certainly get your moments in the sun to eradicate entire levels if you're being picky about your preferred skills path (dumping all your scrolls into red and attaining a good red weapon with some good added perks on it relatively early in the game). Wiping the floor with a level that used to give you trouble is always a great feeling, no matter if you had to grind to get there or not.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Wasn't there another recent game along the lines of dead cells, like a lot of similar graphics style and good art, leveling up feature, etc? I can't remember the name of it but it looked hella promising, but the fact that I haven't seen much praise for it, or presence, really, in the gaming world makes me think it wasn't as great as I thought it may have been. Who knows what this game is, who has played it, and what do u think of it please

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Floodixor posted:

Wasn't there another recent game along the lines of dead cells, like a lot of similar graphics style and good art, leveling up feature, etc? I can't remember the name of it but it looked hella promising, but the fact that I haven't seen much praise for it, or presence, really, in the gaming world makes me think it wasn't as great as I thought it may have been. Who knows what this game is, who has played it, and what do u think of it please

Curse of the Dead Gods?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

H:ZD is indeed a FarCryLike

and it does not deserve half of the praise it gets, the robot dinosaur fights are loving tedious and not interesting in the slightest. Plus the stealth elements are complete garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

HZD halved is still more than what Far Cry has going for it.