Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Reveilled posted:

Well, not quite, the tallneck emits a burst of electrical energy when you rappel down. Early on that might be enough to kill the robots, but later it will merely stun them and in some areas with extremely strong bots, not even that.

And in those areas there's nothing stopping you from staying on top of the tall neck and sniping away. Barring that, you can wait until he walks to an area with fewer machines to deal with before you rappel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Locator posted:

You mean the one right at the gate from the starting area, or is the 'rest of the map' when I leave the Nora territory? I did talk to that guy, but didn't see the travel item.

I can't remember the name but like the first Carja outpost where you have to fight a corrupter for them to open the gate, dude is right outside that, on the Carja side.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Skwirl posted:

I can't remember the name but like the first Carja outpost where you have to fight a corrupter for them to open the gate, dude is right outside that, on the Carja side.

Yup, found it just prior to taking a break and reading this post! Thanks, I kind of figured it was in that area after I took a good look at the big map, as that's the edge of what used to be Nora territory where it opens up into the bigger world I guess. Although it also looks like there is a DLC area up to the NE of the Nora area, the quest I got from the Carja fort says that's level 30 but I guess it's not all that hard for someone good at the game to play way over their level. That person probably isn't me, heh..

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So.. inventory question. Is there any sort of a cheat-sheet on what sort of crap I need to hang onto for 'trading to merchants'? My resources bag is maxed out at 100 (at least until I get a bunch more skill points) and I keep filling it up with loot because I don't want to drop stuff that isn't marked as good for shards only, not knowing what it might be needed for in the future for buying new gear.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Locator posted:

So.. inventory question. Is there any sort of a cheat-sheet on what sort of crap I need to hang onto for 'trading to merchants'? My resources bag is maxed out at 100 (at least until I get a bunch more skill points) and I keep filling it up with loot because I don't want to drop stuff that isn't marked as good for shards only, not knowing what it might be needed for in the future for buying new gear.

Use this - https://www.nexusmods.com/horizonzerodawn/mods/46

Seriously. The inventory is poorly implemented and thought out. There's way too much stuff that isn't marked, the stacks are too small, everything goes to the same basket, and even basic crafting material and collectibles take up space.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

The Locator posted:

My system is, anything I already have another stack of gets sold (except basic ammo components who get to have 1 full stack and 1 stack in progress). If your inventory is still cramped, ditch all the Watchers & herbivore (chargers/grazers/lancehorn/strider) components as well, blue and green alike, 'cause in the unlikely event you'll ever need one they're piss easy to find and come in big herds so one is bound to drop what you need after a grenade genocide.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

itry posted:

Seriously. The inventory is poorly implemented and thought out. There's way too much stuff that isn't marked, the stacks are too small, everything goes to the same basket, and even basic crafting material and collectibles take up space.

Kobal2 posted:

My system is, anything I already have another stack of gets sold (except basic ammo components who get to have 1 full stack and 1 stack in progress). If your inventory is still cramped, ditch all the Watchers & herbivore (chargers/grazers/lancehorn/strider) components as well, blue and green alike, 'cause in the unlikely event you'll ever need one they're piss easy to find and come in big herds so one is bound to drop what you need after a grenade genocide.

Thanks both of you. I didn't even realize this game had mods, I may just go that route since I love picking up crap in games for whatever reason.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Locator posted:

Thanks both of you. I didn't even realize this game had mods, I may just go that route since I love picking up crap in games for whatever reason.

I don’t remember about animal materials but I believe as far as machine parts are concerned you’ll need them for a single upgrade to one things and that is it. That might just be lenses though?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wish there were animal materials shops, so I could just buy badger bones or whatever I need for the next upgrade. Inventory management was the worst part of the game for me, which is dumb on my part since I've played pretty recently on PC.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

alex314 posted:

I wish there were animal materials shops, so I could just buy badger bones or whatever I need for the next upgrade. Inventory management was the worst part of the game for me, which is dumb on my part since I've played pretty recently on PC.

I'm halfway sure there's a merchant for that in the capital - I distinctly remember saying "gently caress fish" to myself and I don't remember caving in despite now having all the upgrades, bells and whistles.
I might have been drunk at the time tho.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hunting trials- what’s the deal with the quest to blow up processor units on the tramplers?

I’ve tried all my bows, but everything I got tears off the unit, failing the mission. Except for my dedicated flame bow, which doesn’t do enough damage.

I tried using explosives, but tripwires just kill them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Been a while since I played, but I think you need to knock off any armor plates on the unit (if any) using regular arrows, then hit the unit directly with a flame arrow, then wait a couple of seconds. Should cause a bigass explosion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hunting trials- what’s the deal with the quest to blow up processor units on the tramplers?

I’ve tried all my bows, but everything I got tears off the unit, failing the mission. Except for my dedicated flame bow, which doesn’t do enough damage.

You need to tie them down with the ropecaster first or else you'll fail the objective. From there any triple shot tear arrow will get the job done.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh. I was tying them down but it’s possible I got my killing shots in while they were free.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If you damage the machine too much before blowing up the processor, they'll break free and it won't count for the mission. That's why I recommend the tearblast arrows since you won't do any damage to them before it blows up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ropecaster duration is reduced each time the target is attacked (and i think it's just "each time", not scaling based on damage or anything) so poorly modded weapons will make that challenge really hard

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The inventory management was the worst part of the game by far. I'd like it if games had a "sell all not needed for further upgrades/crafting/bragging" button.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

The inventory management was the worst part of the game by far. I'd like it if games had a "sell all not needed for further upgrades/crafting/bragging" button.

That would mean admitting most of the collecting is useless busy work though, even the non trash items are mostly pointless.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i don't mind the minigame of "you need to use ammo efficiently to not run out and screwing up really badly may force you to improvise with sub-standard munitions" but that's like 30% of the inventory system's function and i have no defense of the other 70%

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Inventory is definitely a vestige of some even more complicated crafting system that was very fortunately thrown out late in development.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OK, I tied them down and hit the processors with just 2 tear blast arrows with a bow that has 3 +tear damage mods. The ropes would break after each shot so I had to tie them down twice.

Processors exploded but I still failed the mission :(

Alternatively, if there’s an easy cheat to pass the mission that would also be cool. I’ve gotten good at killing the dang things which is the point, after all :v:

E: just to confirm that I’m shooting the correct thing- the processor unit is the bulky yellow thing on their underside, correct?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 2, 2021

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Collateral posted:

That would mean admitting most of the collecting is useless busy work though, even the non trash items are mostly pointless.

I liked collecting trash in this game in large part because it was so pretty.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, just noticed that I can’t complete the rope caster tutorial either. Does it only count if I tie down mobs by hitting critical components? If they still have to be tied when they die should I just not bother with it until I get a purple rope caster or do they need some special mods?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Huh, just noticed that I can’t complete the rope caster tutorial either. Does it only count if I tie down mobs by hitting critical components?

no

are you actually getting a proper tie-down? just having ropes attached doesn't count, most machines have an animation where they basically collapse and fall over once enough of them connect

e: my living space is absolute chaos right now but if you're still struggling with this later i'll go do the trial myself and record the process, it's been long enough since i played that i'm not 100% confident in my recall of game mechanics anyways

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kobal2 posted:

I'm halfway sure there's a merchant for that in the capital - I distinctly remember saying "gently caress fish" to myself and I don't remember caving in despite now having all the upgrades, bells and whistles.
I might have been drunk at the time tho.

There is a merchant in the capital, I found it last night, but it doesn't have all the parts. I have already upgraded all but two of my ammo pouches to max, and the two items I still need are a badger skin and a rat skin (I think, something from a rat anyway). I don't recall seeing either on the merchant, but I'll double check since I camped out there when I ended my session yesterday.

Once I have all my bags maxed, is there no reason to keep any animal parts at all?

That's the party of the inventory management that bugs me.. If I just had a way to know what 'rabbit skin/bone' is used for, I would know if I could just mark those to be sold and it wouldn't be a big deal. Although now that I have progressed and some items actually need different meats to craft, it's apparent that they mean for me to keep shooting the poor defenseless animals even in later parts of the game.

Edit: The vendor I found in Meridian sells machine parts, not animal parts.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 2, 2021

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
It’s a bit unwieldy but for crafting purposes, I tend to use this as a reference to what I still need to max my pouches.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

no

are you actually getting a proper tie-down? just having ropes attached doesn't count, most machines have an animation where they basically collapse and fall over once enough of them connect

e: my living space is absolute chaos right now but if you're still struggling with this later i'll go do the trial myself and record the process, it's been long enough since i played that i'm not 100% confident in my recall of game mechanics anyways

Well, poo poo. Thanks! That was it.

I first tried the rope thingy a couple times on a sawtooth and figured it was just a temporary leash. This thing is actually worth using!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh yeah it take like 2-3 shots for even the small ones; once the circle around the icon fills to the stop it'll change and down they go. I don't remember if that can be reduced with mods, but they won't get up again - at least until you've whacked em real good with tripleshot arrows to the eyeball or w/e

I tended not to use it on the larger bots unless I was outnumbered by them, 'cos they take a lot more ropes to go down, but they can all be brought low

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I first tried the rope thingy a couple times on a sawtooth and figured it was just a temporary leash. This thing is actually worth using!

Glad it worked out! And yeah, I had the exact same eureka moment, though thankfully a little earlier in my first playthrough.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

In this video, the guy just ties them down and hits the fuel sac with several standard arrows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXqvL0wPZi0

By the way, if you've got handling mods, put as many of them as you can into your ropecaster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This goes for every status effect in the game btw, you have to fill up the little circle before it takes full effect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Huh, just noticed that I can’t complete the rope caster tutorial either. Does it only count if I tie down mobs by hitting critical components? If they still have to be tied when they die should I just not bother with it until I get a purple rope caster or do they need some special mods?

Do you mean the tutorial quests? those only counted in the PS4 version if you had it selected as your active quest, no idea if that was changed for PC.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc it's the same on the PC version

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

itry posted:

iirc it's the same on the PC version

It is the same, I tested it specifically because I wasn't seeing quest completion when I expected it. Tested within the last week.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Finished the game. I get why everybody hates Ted now.

It was pretty good! The story actually got really compelling, although it took a long time to get started. Did just about everything apart from blazing sun in a couple of the hunting trials. The time limits were more annoying than anything else because they didn’t allow for playing with some of the more fun/interesting weapons.

Really wish there had been more npcs with speaking roles, as well as more quests. It was an awesome open world but felt like they ran out of time to put stuff in it. Thought it would be neat to try newgame+ with some sick facepaint but apparently that’s locked behind the hard difficulty and just lol at playing through everything twice just for a third play through with cosmetics.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

itry posted:

drat, beat the game last night, wish I had seen this months ago lol. Didn't even think to look for mods, whoops! I did the DLC before the bulk of the main game so even more than usual I had hardly any use for materials outside of ammo upgrades, and those almost always hinged on me hunting random rats or owls. Then despite being full of too much resources at all times, I was somehow always low on Blaze. Would sometimes dump 100% of my shards into buying Blaze.

I was kind of surprised how many data logs I had left empty at the end, and might boot up again tonight just to see if the last of Sobeck's journals finished repairing. I guess I could go round getting the last flowers and vantage points, but I've got everything else done.

Really loved the story, really came to hate Ted Faro and Travis Tate. The story really blew open near the end and left a ton of threads I'm eager to pull. Gonna be a looong wait for the PC release of the sequel.

edit: Also really hoping there's a secret or beta backup of Apollo that we can pry out of teds cold dead hands eventually.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 2, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Why Travis Tate, he was a cool dude just looking to spend the end of civilization padding out his spank bank.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He wanted to include the world's worst snuff films and garbage and his high and evil rear end is a big part of why Hades be the way it is. And of course the dude with a southern accent is the one to ensure the future loving sucks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think you might have misunderstood that part of the story, Travis built Hades exactly for its intended purpose in Project Zero Dawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, Travis was an edgelord but he didn't exactly what was requested of him and exactly what was needed.

Hades' behavior is almost certainly either a) working as intended, because the ecosystem in Aloy's era is unstable and about to collapse in on itself in Horizon: Forbidden West, or b) the result of some other third party (probably Vast Silver, but there are a few possibilities) unchaining Gaia's subordinate functions. Maybe even a bit of both. Either way, not his fault how things turned out.