Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Getting a lot of chatter on my GMMK Pro. I have a fix running which stops it being an issue in practice, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? It could be the switches I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Buck Turgidson posted:

This sounds like interference. USB can interfere with 2.4Ghz signals used by wireless peripherals. Have you tried plugging the usb dongle into a usb extension cable (preferably extended away from your computer)?
I ordered a new keyboard and a mouse, both wired, so this issue kinda goes away for now, but that's a good point. Not related to keyboards per se, but I've had distinctly mixed luck with usb extension cables. There's a million options for sale out there (Amazon, eBay, tech-store websites, etc.) but of the two I've had, one failed completely after about a week, just sitting under my bed to give my phone charging cord enough reach to the powerboard, by necessity located more than 90 cm from my bedside. The other one I've had for many years, used rarely until that one failed then I put it into service in the bedroom. It's still trucking along fine.

Is there a thread-recommended USB extension cord, preferably a few metres long (e.g. 3m or 10 ft, or even 2m / 6 ft)? They're useful to have available when some weird little problem pops up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

interrodactyl posted:

I built a very pretty commission over the weekend.

Very badly color corrected sound test, for the folks who care about that kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3b4qnL2Sp0

what is it?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Did a little googling to confirm, but it looks like it's a 7V, designed by gok

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Did a little googling to confirm, but it looks like it's a 7V, designed by gok

Yep, this is it! I was scared to death of scuffing the backpiece while building it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

a keyboard that costs more than the pc it attaches to

ExecuDork posted:

Not related to keyboards per se, but I've had distinctly mixed luck with usb extension cables. There's a million options for sale out there (Amazon, eBay, tech-store websites, etc.) but of the two I've had, one failed completely after about a week, just sitting under my bed to give my phone charging cord enough reach to the powerboard, by necessity located more than 90 cm from my bedside. The other one I've had for many years, used rarely until that one failed then I put it into service in the bedroom. It's still trucking along fine.

Is there a thread-recommended USB extension cord, preferably a few metres long (e.g. 3m or 10 ft, or even 2m / 6 ft)? They're useful to have available when some weird little problem pops up.
No, USB extension cords are generally a bad idea. The most that you should ever use them for is plugging in a wireless dongle or USB key. In fact, the extension cables that come with most dongles specifically say on their instructions not to use them as extension cords.

And using them for charging is an even worse idea. USB charging is low voltage / high current, which is a fire hazard with poor cables. That's why the charge cables that come with new phones are so short -- it's difficult to make a long one that can handle the power that new fast-charge phones can draw. And that's probably why the previous one failed: it burnt out in a non-catastrophic way. You should immediately stop using the one that you're using.

To solve your situation, you should do either:
1. buy an expensive, high quality USB 3 charging cable
2. but a cheap low-power (2A max) charger brick, and a cheap long usb c cable. The USB C cable can be cheap because it won't be supplying so much power that it risks burning. Your phone will charge slowly, but if this is at your bed for overnight that's fine. Then you can put the original charger & cable elsewhere for fast charge / travel.

Buck Turgidson posted:

This sounds like interference. USB can interfere with 2.4Ghz signals used by wireless peripherals. Have you tried plugging the usb dongle into a usb extension cable (preferably extended away from your computer)?
In particular, USB 3. And this includes plugging a USB 2 wireless device into a USB 3 socket. Bluetooth dongles are highly vulnerable to this, which is why all bluetooth dongles are usb 2.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Klyith posted:

a keyboard that costs more than the pc it attaches to

Well, technically, with GPU prices how they are, this is cheaper than a good gaming PC with a 30 series card....barely. 7Vs are going for only $1k aftermarket these days.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

interrodactyl posted:

I built a very pretty commission over the weekend.

Very badly color corrected sound test, for the folks who care about that kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3b4qnL2Sp0

7v makes me wish I could use a 75. It's a nice board.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Klyith posted:

In particular, USB 3. And this includes plugging a USB 2 wireless device into a USB 3 socket. Bluetooth dongles are highly vulnerable to this, which is why all bluetooth dongles are usb 2.

I've been having trouble with the Bluetooth of the Keychron K4 I bought a few days ago, so much so that I'd given up and was just using it with the USB lead (through an extension cable! ) - now I'm wondering if the Bluetooth dongle is plugged into a USB 3 port...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

7v makes me wish I could use a 75. It's a nice board.

all about that 75 life but i ain't about that price point

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Clarence posted:

now I'm wondering if the Bluetooth dongle is plugged into a USB 3 port...

It is! But it looks like every USB port on the motherboard is USB3.1 (some gen 1, some gen 2, whatever that is!)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Clarence posted:

It is! But it looks like every USB port on the motherboard is USB3.1 (some gen 1, some gen 2, whatever that is!)

Welp!

The mobo probably USB 2 headers to use for case front panels. Even if you don't have a case with USB 2 connectors, you could get a USB 2 rear panel bracket. They're cheap.

(I got like 3 of those sitting around my parts bin, they used to be included with mobos all the time.)

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just bought a keycap set from drop.com because I have brain worms :pram:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

mewse posted:

Interesting. Housing looks like kailh switches, wonder who the mfr really is

Idk about those switches in particular but I know the Akko CS Rose was mfd by KTT, and I imagine the rest of the line is the same.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

64bit_Dophins posted:

Just bought a keycap set from drop.com because I have brain worms :pram:

I am really not a fan of Mito at the moment.

That being said if you feel like spending more money to wait a year for keycaps, then buy GMK Foundation. https://cannonkeys.com/collections/group-buy/products/gb-gmk-foundation

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
What's a good out of the box entry mechanical keyboard nowadays? From what I've read I want browns for all-around/coding/gaming?

I currently have an Ornata Chroma and I like how it feels, if that works as a reference for switch suggestions. Some keys are starting to feel a bit weird though, and a number of keys are starting to... peel? Like the black paint is coming off and I can see the led lighting underneath, so I want to start checking some potential replacements.

Looking for a 100% or TKL potentially. Maybe with a volume control? I don't really care about RGB but I don't mind it terribly. From what I've seen, the Das 4 Pro looks to be right up my alley, or the Steelseries Apex 7 maybe? (this one I've seen someone recommend just grabbing HyperX replacement caps?)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Edmond Dantes posted:

From what I've read I want browns for all-around/coding/gaming?

Many enthusiasts are less enthused with cherry currently:
A) Out of the box, they aren't as nice as some others -- the common description is "scratchy". IMO while true, this is kinda overblown nitpicking. I have a recent cherry clear board, I noticed it, but it fades with use after a month.
B) They still have the same lineup they did 10 years ago, while the companies that started as chinese clones have been innovating. Again this is of variable importance, if the basic standbys are good for you than it doesn't matter that there are 5000 new switch varieties with names like "Holy Panda" and "Surrealistic Pillow".

Browns are still an all around safe choice. If typing is more important than gaming, something with more tactility might be good for your fingers. After some adjustment I really like the clears because I'm not bottoming out at all. If you want to try things you can get a switch sample tester and try the feel of other stuff.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I currently have an Ornata Chroma and I like how it feels, if that works as a reference for switch suggestions. Some keys are starting to feel a bit weird though, and a number of keys are starting to... peel? Like the black paint is coming off and I can see the led lighting underneath, so I want to start checking some potential replacements.

This is because inexpensive mass-market LED-lit keyboards, the keys are translucent ABS with black paint on them, and they make the symbols by lasering off the paint. They use super-durable paint, but it wears.

For some money, you can get double shot shine-though keycaps. Double shot means there are 2 plastics, first they make the outer key and then they inject more plastic to make the symbol. No wear problems there.
Razer branded
better quality & less gamer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Looking for a 100% or TKL potentially. Maybe with a volume control? I don't really care about RGB but I don't mind it terribly. From what I've seen, the Das 4 Pro looks to be right up my alley, or the Steelseries Apex 7 maybe? (this one I've seen someone recommend just grabbing HyperX replacement caps?)

Both the Das 4 Pro and the steelseries use lasered painted caps. For the Das it's kinda sucky given the price, but the rest of the board is high-quality and keycaps are replaceable.

Another one for your consideration is Ducky, particularly if you like RGB. Doubleshot PBT keys included, generally regarded as one of the best bang-for-buck brands. (No volume control though.)

And the new hotness with the keyboard brainworms enthusiasts is the GMMK Pro, which has a rotary encoder (volume++).

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 2, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Check out the Corsair boards too. Probably the best all-rounders.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
After many years and many different boards/switches, i've come to the realization that thing most important factor for me liking a keyboard is not what switches it uses, but how how high/thick the front row is and how much rise the board has.

For example, the Keychron K2 with Browns is WAY less comfortable to use than a WASD V2 with Clears, solely due to the front row height, even though I like browns more generally.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

~Coxy posted:

Check out the Corsair boards too. Probably the best all-rounders.

They have a new K70 TKL variant with their volume control, but it's only available with red or "speed silver" switches (high activation point, very gamer) for the moment. It might be a practical choice if they make it with normal switches.

But the thing I think is the biggest drawback about corsair is that they use a nonstandard bottom row, so standard replacement keycaps don't fit. You can get sets with those sizes, but it drives the price up.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Klyith posted:

Another one for your consideration is Ducky, particularly if you like RGB. Doubleshot PBT keys included, generally regarded as one of the best bang-for-buck brands. (No volume control though.)

The full size Duckys have volume control keys, like this One 2 RGB :)

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I am really not a fan of Mito at the moment.

That being said if you feel like spending more money to wait a year for keycaps, then buy GMK Foundation. https://cannonkeys.com/collections/group-buy/products/gb-gmk-foundation

What's wrong with Mito?

Do they produce low quality stuff or what?

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I wanted something for work that I could both get a PO past finance and put on my desk without raising any eyebrows. All previous reccomendations are good but if you want an affordable sleeper board that has 0 gamer accessory energy, but plenty of gamer accessory performance, the Taurus line by Durgod is pretty solid.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Having some problems with some of my Kailh Box Pinks - some keys click without activation, or develop the problem over time. I can fix it by reseating the switch, usually, but it's irritating. I had a look around and saw some people say all kinds of box switches haev a risk of developing this issue. Which leads me to ask - what are the best light (the lighter the better, subject to retaining some tactility) clicky non-box switches?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

64bit_Dophins posted:

What's wrong with Mito?

His sets have been really boring or straight up ugly.

Which is subjective of course.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Klyith posted:

They have a new K70 TKL variant with their volume control, but it's only available with red or "speed silver" switches (high activation point, very gamer) for the moment. It might be a practical choice if they make it with normal switches.

But the thing I think is the biggest drawback about corsair is that they use a nonstandard bottom row, so standard replacement keycaps don't fit. You can get sets with those sizes, but it drives the price up.

Sure, but OP said both "good out of the box entry mechanical keyboard nowadays" and "Looking for a 100% or TKL potentially".
They could easily get a standard K70 LUX, 100% with dedicated media keys and volume scroller, in blues or browns and never replace the caps.

(I bet very few people ever do delve into the world of custom keycaps. It just generates the most posts and images rather than "check out the vanilla common keyboard from a major peripheral manufacturer that I just purchased from Amazon."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks for the replies, everyone! That gives me quite a bit to get started.

Found a 100% K70(mk2) with browns at a non-stupid price near me (I live in Argentina, options are limited and prices are ridiculous most of the time), so I may just go for that one to be honest, and get something better/fancier/go insane with replacement caps if I ever travel to the states again or a friend with extra luggage space does. :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 2, 2021

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm really hoping mt3 clones start appearing on AliExpress like GMK clones.

I'm a full convert to mt3 and don't enjoy typing on any other keycap profile now. I've bought three sets from Drop but it's hard to justify the cost. I'd love mt3 godspeed and white on black for a reasonable price, thanks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

~Coxy posted:

Sure, but OP said both "good out of the box entry mechanical keyboard nowadays" and "Looking for a 100% or TKL potentially".
They could easily get a standard K70 LUX, 100% with dedicated media keys and volume scroller, in blues or browns and never replace the caps.
Somehow I read the original post as preferring TKL over 100% rather than the other way around! :sweatdrop:

~Coxy posted:

(I bet very few people ever do delve into the world of custom keycaps. It just generates the most posts and images rather than "check out the vanilla common keyboard from a major peripheral manufacturer that I just purchased from Amazon."
I'm sure you're right that few people do, but probably more people should. Especially on mass-market RGB keyboards where the keycaps are the place that absolutely gets the cheapest crap. Everything about those Corsair boards is pretty well-made and durable, except the caps. They wear out and look/feel like crap long before anything else. Hence OPs problem with peeling paint.

A decent-but-not-expensive PBT set is one of the best upgrades you can do for an inexpensive board that comes with ABS caps. It doesn't mean you have to start joining group buys or becoming a :homebrew: collector. One set is all you need, $40 for some PBT caps will last many years before you even have wear on the surface texture. This is exactly what I did a long time ago -- I bought a rosewill during the first wave of mechanical popularity, then put some PBT caps on it after a year.

That was 2014, it's still good today. Replaced it recently just because I wanted to switch to different switches & a TKL size. This stuff is only expensive if you make it into a hobby rather than buying a tool.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Found a 100% K70(mk2) with browns at a non-stupid price near me (I live in Argentina, options are limited and prices are ridiculous most of the time)

Oooh yeah, that changes things. How does argentina do for direct buying from china through alibaba / aliexpress? If you want a new keycap set after a while, there's an ali store that's well known for having lots of sets. (In fact they have Corsair sets.)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Klyith posted:

Oooh yeah, that changes things. How does argentina do for direct buying from china through alibaba / aliexpress? If you want a new keycap set after a while, there's an ali store that's well known for having lots of sets. (In fact they have Corsair sets.)

Utter loving garbage. What doesn't get stolen in customs gets charged 50% import tax (yes, you read that correctly) over product + shipping. (again, you read that correctly).

It's a (potentially expensive) coin toss, basically. :(

/edit: That's why I'm eyeballing that Corsair K70 tbh; it's around ~USD120 down here which means it's most likely a pricing error since it's like 139 on amazon).

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 2, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

A decent-but-not-expensive PBT set is one of the best upgrades you can do for an inexpensive board that comes with ABS caps. It doesn't mean you have to start joining group buys or becoming a :homebrew: collector. One set is all you need, $40 for some PBT caps will last many years before you even have wear on the surface texture. This is exactly what I did a long time ago -- I bought a rosewill during the first wave of mechanical popularity, then put some PBT caps on it after a year.

The Razer PBT set is a nice option for this, it's only $30 and comes with both ANSI and ISO keys (AFAIK the more boutique sets tend to be ANSI only)

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 2, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Neurosis posted:

Having some problems with some of my Kailh Box Pinks - some keys click without activation, or develop the problem over time. I can fix it by reseating the switch, usually, but it's irritating. I had a look around and saw some people say all kinds of box switches haev a risk of developing this issue. Which leads me to ask - what are the best light (the lighter the better, subject to retaining some tactility) clicky non-box switches?

Thats kind of odd. I didn't read this before I just got some. Did you lube them at all?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LochNessMonster posted:

His sets have been really boring or straight up ugly.

Which is subjective of course.

Oh I see...

Well as far as impulse purchases go $50 is far from my worst offense haha...

I just have a durgod board with gray keys that would look like an old school bloomberg terminal with those caps.

Making my keyboard ugly like that is kind of the point haha.

Does mito produce high quality caps at least?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

The Razer PBT set is a nice option for this, it's only $30 and comes with both ANSI and ISO keys (AFAIK the more boutique sets tend to be ANSI only)

Yeah I pointed to that upthread during hbag's ISO vs ANSI crisis. It's good if you need ISO, and they have bottom rows for both razer's 6u spacebar layout & the 1.25/6.25 standard. (But not the Corsair 6.5u layout.) Also has a nice restrained font, and thick walls.

It's funny, since I don't like backlights my price calibration is looking at solid keys. But lights are so popular that the backlit sets are now cheaper, despite backlit PBT being a pretty recent thing.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

64bit_Dophins posted:

Oh I see...

Well as far as impulse purchases go $50 is far from my worst offense haha...

I just have a durgod board with gray keys that would look like an old school bloomberg terminal with those caps.

Making my keyboard ugly like that is kind of the point haha.

Does mito produce high quality caps at least?

I think he just designs the sets, Massdrop orders them at SP/GMK and/or whoever makes the XDA/MT3 profiles.

Quality has been great the last few years afaik.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

64bit_Dophins posted:

What's wrong with Mito?

He's involved in a lot of drama in the custom keyboard community, and his kitting is often unfriendly for smaller form factor keyboards.

Most recently, he stopped another GMK designer from using a sunset novelty in their vaporwave set because it was too similar to the mold he used for GMK Laser novelties. This is because GMK gives the "rights" to the novelty molds to the designers. Mito just refused to give permission to make something similar.

He's also been very rude and super dismissive every time I've interacted with him.

Does that mean you shouldn't buy his sets? I mean, it's just plastic so you can do what you want.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Most of the latest Mito sets have been something akin to what a cat throwing up crayons might produce. Also Massdrop sucks.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

interrodactyl posted:

He's involved in a lot of drama in the custom keyboard community, and his kitting is often unfriendly for smaller form factor keyboards.

Most recently, he stopped another GMK designer from using a sunset novelty in their vaporwave set because it was too similar to the mold he used for GMK Laser novelties. This is because GMK gives the "rights" to the novelty molds to the designers. Mito just refused to give permission to make something similar.

He's also been very rude and super dismissive every time I've interacted with him.

Does that mean you shouldn't buy his sets? I mean, it's just plastic so you can do what you want.

Man gently caress that -

Idk it's hard to really care about drama surrounding something as frivolous as keycaps lol.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

interrodactyl posted:

not just the novelty, but used his clout to stop GMK from producing the set ENTIRELY because it's to close to "his" vaporwave aesthetic.

How the gently caress do you just lay claim to an entire genre of design?

64bit_Dophins posted:

Man gently caress that -

Idk it's hard to really care about drama surrounding something as frivolous as keycaps lol.
well when it's your sole source of acclaim and income...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Finally finished my new 3d printed handwired keyboard. This is version 2 of my first one, aka, "The good one". It's a custom design with Akko Macaw keycaps and lubed Gateron Brown switches.

I did a bunch of things on this one that I've never tried before. I printed, primed, and painted the case, which turned out really well. I was worried the paint would be way too soft and would get all scuffed and lovely looking by the time I finished the build, but it actually turned out really well. Could have done a better job with the Bondo when joining it all, but that's another thing I've never done, so I'll know how for next time.

I also lubed the switches, and holee modded the stabs. The stabs are slightly mushy still, but I find that as I use them, they get better and better, so I'm hoping that after a little use they'll all be in proper shape. My space bar was a bit sluggish after I put it together, but spamming it a bunch for like five minutes fixed that up. Same with the enter key to a lesser extent, but I figure a bit more use will fix that up just fine.

The next one I make is going to be a numpad. Both because I'm sick to death of soldering/desoldering (check the direction of your diodes BEFORE putting all 100 in...) and also because I got a hold of some Raspberry Pi Picos. I'd like to figure out how to make custom firmware and potentially develop a little QMK-like app to visually build your own custom layouts/firmware with them.