Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You have the order reversed: twitter is where people go in order to feel anger and direct it toward a target, so they invent a reason to justify what they want to experience or are already experiencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bleck posted:

the well metaphor is stupid because it's trying to frame media illiteracy as some kind of safety issue

here's a better one: if you looked at the book cover and decided the book was bad, you are an idiot, even if the reason was "I cannot perceive the concept of irony in literature"

I can't loving believe the response an article about how awful it is to react strongly to media you have not consumed is a bunch of strong reactions to media that you have not consumed

like did people even read the article or did they just assume it was transphobic too

on the other hand there is a point where if someone hands you a book that says 'I loving hate trans people' you probably don't have to read it just to be sure they're not the modern Swift or whatever if you don't want to. Like, unless you're the ghost of Larry Kramer if you gave me a book that was just the word "FAGGOTS" on the cover I probably don't want to read it. Yea I likely wouldn't, like, attack you for giving it to me but I'd probably tell you to gently caress off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I guess I just think it's a bit of an overcorrection to put the onus entirely on everyone else to carefully check a thing designed to provoke a shock response, rather than just kinda admitting sometimes your shock response article gets exactly what you wanted

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Pachylad posted:

I actually can't tell if this is facetious.

It is. It's a somewhat reoccurring thing I noticed on those circles.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the article's author is right in that if the story had been what people thought it was, the worst outcome would have been that another piece of inflammatory transphobic media would have existed. the scale from the jump was "attack a trans woman for making something with an edge to it" on one end and "a thing i wont read will exist" on the other.

sexpig by night posted:

I guess I just think it's a bit of an overcorrection to put the onus entirely on everyone else to carefully check a thing designed to provoke a shock response, rather than just kinda admitting sometimes your shock response article gets exactly what you wanted

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, that editor had apparently been sold barrels of poison water during a spate of well poisonings, including an organized gang trying to gently caress up a big aquafer, to extend that metaphor.

It should have been published, but either not under that name, or by someone who hadn't been punked by well poisoners. The first person in the long chain of folks that failed Fall was her editor, and if there was any justice the only work in publishing he'd ever have again after this debacle would be slinging paperbacks in a warehouse.

lol jesus christ

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sexpig by night posted:

You're absolutely wrong. I mean the its not some listable click bait article about Salad tongs or some poo poo, its a person writing about the poo poo they've personally gone through as a member or a minority group recontextualizing some of that abuse to talk about their issues. Its something that's pretty obvious if you do the absolute bare minimum and read then first few sentences. Its not something that requires "carefully checking" it just requires you to not be an entirely reaction ball of anger and just look at it. The onus is entirely on the reader especially if that person then goes on to freak out online and use this as an excuse to harass an unrelated person. There is no excuse for this behavior

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think the response she got was fair at all in scale but it's just weird to simultaneously say 'wow so she can't make something with edge' and also 'I can't believe people reacted strongly to an intentionally provocative article'

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

sexpig by night posted:

I guess I just think it's a bit of an overcorrection to put the onus entirely on everyone else to carefully check a thing designed to provoke a shock response

it should perhaps not be a shocking impossibility to queer people that anybody make an attempt to reclaim a famously offensive word or phrase

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

a provocative title is meant to provoke you to read the book. it is absolutely unreasonable to say the author should have known it would "provoke" people into ruining her life. jesus christ.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Twitter is a good place to be ultra reactionary and condemn stuff for that sweet clout and retweets. That's just the nature of that platform and it encourages you to post them takes without thinking them through.

It's easier to just apologize later, after the damage is done.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 2, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bleck posted:

it should perhaps not be a shocking impossibility to queer people that anybody make an attempt to reclaim a famously offensive word or phrase

and it also shouldn't be shocking that many people in the queer communities have incredibly different views of what insults are 'worth' reclaiming and picking one that kinda has no roots in anything other than 4chan idiots trying to mock the concept of non-cis people is probably, to many, not exactly on the same level of reclaiming queer or dyke or the like from bigots.

Again I completely agree the amount of hate she got is absurd but people seem to be conflating 'read headline, got mad' and 'read the article and disagree' under the same umbrella

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the article which has been summarized like 5 increasingly succinct times in here explicitly makes the distinction between not giving the book the time of day because of surface assumption or just not having the headspace for its contents even when you do know what they are versus the rest of the terrible bullshit that followed yet this is like the dozenth post going 'its fine to bounce off of a work like this' which not only is no one saying otherwise, everyone already said as much

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

sexpig by night posted:

I think if someone's "shock response" is harassment and threats they don't deserve any benefit of the doubt.

sexpig by night posted:

I don't think the response she got was fair at all in scale but it's just weird to simultaneously say 'wow so she can't make something with edge' and also 'I can't believe people reacted strongly to an intentionally provocative article'

"reacted strongly" is a loving mild way to put it.

sexpig by night posted:

and it also shouldn't be shocking that many people in the queer communities have incredibly different views of what insults are 'worth' reclaiming and picking one that kinda has no roots in anything other than 4chan idiots trying to mock the concept of non-cis people is probably, to many, not exactly on the same level of reclaiming queer or dyke or the like from bigots.

Again I completely agree the amount of hate she got is absurd but people seem to be conflating 'read headline, got mad' and 'read the article and disagree' under the same umbrella

Yeah, it's not a problem if your reaction to the title was "ew no thanks" rather than attacking the author but you're going to have to point out who was actually conflating the two because I have yet to see someone do it.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 2, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

they reacted to a provacative headline they didnt read beyond. also so what? making something provacative means ppl were in the right to go apeshit on the author?? i wouldnt even say its provacative. its just a different exploration of gender.

wtf is going on. these are such juvenile approaches to art.

e: lmao a headline. title

fun hater fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 2, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

sexpig by night posted:

it's exactly the same, actually,

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

No no no no. Thats not what anyone is saying at all and this kind of thinking is just trying to build some wiggle room to lean towards trying to justify why this happened. Because no one who abused her cared about how she wrote an edgy piece because they never actually read the piece because again, even just glance at it would have revealed what it was about. There is no excuse for this and no justification for what people did to her. Hemming and hawing over "Hmm clearly she was asking for it with this title in this article about dealing with the phrase in the title because she should have known its a rough topic and people wouldn't read it" is horrific. Shut the gently caress up Sexpig. gently caress off, this idea or mindset will just lead to justifying the next person harassed off the face of the world for not being queer in the right way. The people that reacted this way were not right in reacting that way at all. Full stop, no discussion. They were being horrible reactionaries.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 2, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I saw a book titled "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" in the shop the other day. Anyone want to get together with me to report this person for animal abuse?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't even know why I'm arguing this at this point I have other things I should focus on and don't even disagree with the loving article, whatever I'm a big dumb idiot

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The context for the discourse for me has been one of my close friends, a trans woman who is also an author getting hit hard by what happened to Fall.

In fact she wrote something https://bloodknife.com/i-sexually-identify-as-the-i-sexually-identify-as-an-attack-helicopter-controversy/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

josh04 posted:

a provocative title is meant to provoke you to read the book. it is absolutely unreasonable to say the author should have known it would "provoke" people into ruining her life. jesus christ.

The literary equivalent of "she was asking for it by wearing that outfit."

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

no one is saying you have to read it, and I fully understand that perspective, but when people are reading something and saying "wow this is not what I expected", maybe then it would be time to reasses your position ("You" meant generally of course).

I think that's the real point here. It's how addicted to anger people get, to the point that they ignore everything else. To the point that they insist on continuing to invent excuses and reasoning post facto for an outrage bomb that is now known to have hurt a trans author.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

no one is saying you have to read it, and I fully understand that perspective, but when people are reading something and saying "wow this is not what I expected", maybe then it would be time to reasses your position ("You" meant generally of course).

I think that's the real point here. It's how addicted to anger people get, to the point that they ignore everything else. To the point that they insist on continuing to invent excuses and reasoning post facto for an outrage bomb that is now known to have hurt a trans author.

But also if you're going to get mad about it online, even just the title, you do in fact have to read it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I tried not to just directly say this in my mad post at sexpig but yeah this is the poo poo that line of thinking leads to.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Civvie-11 released a video about a Doom engine game, Hexen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjLThCN_yE

includes bonus slavjank.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But also if you're going to get mad about it online, even just the title, you do in fact have to read it.

I tried not to just directly say this in my mad post at sexpig but yeah this is the poo poo that line of thinking leads to.

yea your super subtle point really flew over my head, shithead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Well you know when I posted that I should have expected you to defend it after you said you'd check out and were dumb to argue that point.

Sorry just, as a trans woman I get mad when I see someone trying to justify why people harassed a trans woman online. Just a weird little tic of mine.

Ryuga Death posted:

Civvie-11 released a video about a Doom engine game, Hexen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjLThCN_yE

includes bonus slavjank.

Hexen's the only doom engine game I played as a kid that wasn't Doom 2. Excited to see how bad I was at it.

EDIT: Okay I didn't play hexen it was Heretic.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 2, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

yeah like I can't loving stress this enough

fun hater
May 24, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

dont get mad at someone else bc you said something stupid. wtf are you doing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

allergic to saying "poo poo im sorry, i was coming at this from a defensive place" so instead i peel out screaming my head off

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hexen's the only doom engine game I played as a kid that wasn't Doom 2. Excited to see how bad I was at it.

EDIT: Okay I didn't play hexen it was Heretic.
Hexen is not exactly a game for normal people. It's a romhack mario level in doomclone form.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hexen is not exactly a game for normal people. It's a romhack mario level in doomclone form.

I adored Hexen. It felt like a real magic adventure to me, the key and switch hunting was part of the pull. I don't think I can watch this Civvie cause I know he hates Hexen

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Social Rewards the response that gets the most eyeballs. A balanced and thoughtful reading does not get eyeballs as well as a call to torches and pitchforks.

This gets even worse because there are regressive shitheads who know this and purposely bad-faith take in order to sow anger and discord and further marginalize people. See: every left-leaning youtuber ever having every single post they've made in their lives combed through to find a scandal.

There's no good solution to this - the first eyeball getter starts the snowball, and people want to be first, so they :justpost: and it's often the people with bad intentions doing so first. Short of treating misinformation like a bot attack and throttling rapidly spreading posts, and that just opens a different can of worms.

The effect of Twitter on the general mental health and emotional stability of people is terrifying.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

fun hater posted:

allergic to saying "poo poo im sorry, i was coming at this from a defensive place" so instead i peel out screaming my head off

I think admitting that you were wrong is illegal on the internet. SA forums doesn't have a delete post function so that's the closest thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mycot posted:

I think admitting that you were wrong is illegal on the internet. SA forums doesn't have a delete post function so that's the closest thing.

And everyone wonders where Twitter got it from.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

People should unironically take lessons from ICP on how to craft sincere apologies:

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Also at risk of being a hypocrite and engaging in cheap schaudenfreude over actually meaningful discussion, this has to be the funniest thing I've read all day:

https://twitter.com/twinkofswords/status/1410450721376460800

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Unfortunately that's just a case of them being wrong twice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look, we both said a lot of things that you're going to regret.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am sorry anyone feels in any way.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u21CymQbuzE
Thoughtslime on more masculinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Embrace apathy in face our climate apocalypse.