Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I hope it's not too cliched in the asking, but I'm looking for the following:

A hardwire-capable dashcam set, preferably one with a rear camera option. 4K isn't important but good 1080p/2K is preferred.

I've Googled for it, of course, but the "Who?" names don't really inspire confidence. I've heard Garmin's top-tier offerings aren't stellar, and the last one I was looking at were the Nextbase 522GW and 622GW.

I have 2 VIOFO A119 dashcams, one V2 and one V3 and they've been working perfectly. The V2 I've had it for 4 years-ish (probably longer, can't remember exactly), the V3 for about 6 months. The V3 I hardwired it with this kit. The V2 I "hardwired" it to the car's powered rear-view mirror, using some stupid adapter I got from Amazon as well (overpriced $15 thing with $15 shipping, but it works perfectly).

None of these that I listed have the rear camera part, but they work (so far) without any complaints.

Edit: Oh darn, new page, here's my V3 dashcam in action, with an idiot to boot:

https://i.imgur.com/pHNQJA1.mp4

Volguus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Aukey sounds like a “who?” name but they’re pretty popular and mine has been running fine for a couple years now. I have a DR02 iirc. It’s 1080p and hardwire-able. I believe they have rear cams as well.

I’d be interested to hear if the big name ones are any good as well.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Volguus posted:

I have 2 VIOFO A119 dashcams, one V2 and one V3 and they've been working perfectly. The V2 I've had it for 4 years-ish (probably longer, can't remember exactly), the V3 for about 6 months. The V3 I hardwired it with this kit. The V2 I "hardwired" it to the car's powered rear-view mirror, using some stupid adapter I got from Amazon as well (overpriced $15 thing with $15 shipping, but it works perfectly).

None of these that I listed have the rear camera part, but they work (so far) without any complaints.

Edit: Oh darn, new page, here's my V3 dashcam in action, with an idiot to boot:

https://i.imgur.com/pHNQJA1.mp4

You should angle it down some more, so the part of an image that you need to see the most, is in the middle of the screen. It's where you get the least amount of lens distortion. And all that sky footage is darkening up the useful part of the image because of auto white balance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I hope it's not too cliched in the asking, but I'm looking for the following:

A hardwire-capable dashcam set, preferably one with a rear camera option. 4K isn't important but good 1080p/2K is preferred.

I've Googled for it, of course, but the "Who?" names don't really inspire confidence. I've heard Garmin's top-tier offerings aren't stellar, and the last one I was looking at were the Nextbase 522GW and 622GW.

I have the Viofo A129 Pro Duo and I'm happy with it.

4K front, 1080p rear, WiFi that supports both AP mode for phone access and client mode to connect to a home network. The front cam is more or less the same as the popular A119 models.

Sample video of me getting a bit loose on some slush coming off the highway a few months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25lPrkXl10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6kEoEmtRg

If you don't care about the 4K front camera you can get the non-pro A129 Duo for a fair bit less money to have 1080p each way.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT6JPYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use that in my car. I pull screenshots off of it for work every so often. I think it works well. I have it plugged into a USB port though, not hardwired exactly.

EDIT: Oh other people replied :) See above. I guess this is a 3rd or 4th of the above opinions.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wolrah posted:

I have the Viofo A129 Pro Duo and I'm happy with it.

4K front, 1080p rear, WiFi that supports both AP mode for phone access and client mode to connect to a home network. The front cam is more or less the same as the popular A119 models.

Sample video of me getting a bit loose on some slush coming off the highway a few months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25lPrkXl10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6kEoEmtRg

Heh. My brother used to live about 4 miles from that intersection. I usually come to it from the South, but I knew it looked familiar. I watched again and saw the exit sign.

Did you know there's a popular YouTube channel run from a gas station right at that intersection that primarily focuses on shaming the people that shoplift from the store?

Channel is called "Gas Station Encounters" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAhPpdcWedLgaB1KJEvfqA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Is there a reason 256GB is listed as a "max" for the Viofo, and are the "endurance-rated" MicroSD cards worth it?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Nitrox posted:

You should angle it down some more, so the part of an image that you need to see the most, is in the middle of the screen. It's where you get the least amount of lens distortion. And all that sky footage is darkening up the useful part of the image because of auto white balance.

Hmm, you know what, I think you're right, I'll do that. The color image being as it is is because of a filter they sell (and I bought and installed) that is supposed to filter bright lights if I remember correctly.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is there a reason 256GB is listed as a "max" for the Viofo, and are the "endurance-rated" MicroSD cards worth it?

Yes, the endurance cards are worth it. They are specifically designed for heavy write and rewrite operation which is pretty much exactly the use case of dashcams. For the slight extra cost they are significantly less likely to crap out over years of constant use.

I think card size is a firmware thing and a lot of dashcams have a max of 128 or 256. I think I read that they were trying to update it to 512 but I'm not sure. It's ultimately not that big of a deal since they're designed to overwrite themselves but if you need something there's still plenty of time before that happens. You'll probably pull the video within a couple days if something significant happens so the chances of overwriting something you need on a 256GB card is still pretty slim.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I guess it's a good thing I didn't open the 512GB one I bought, then.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If you're ever unsure, just press the incident button (or whatever it's called) and it will lock that segment for you from deletion. You can go into the software of the Viofo with their phone app (which is actually not terrible) and unlock it later.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
GOT EM :bustem: heh, they'll never make this mistake again !

https://i.imgur.com/TCubT02.mp4
Audio for impotent honking as they cruise off into the sunset (they turned West, so, eventually...).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People honking incessantly when it doesn't matter is the worst thing, gently caress that person.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Takes No Damage posted:

GOT EM :bustem: heh, they'll never make this mistake again !

https://i.imgur.com/TCubT02.mp4
Audio for impotent honking as they cruise off into the sunset (they turned West, so, eventually...).

nice pittsburgh left

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The camera car is definitely too slow to start, would've made the turn too :colbert:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

The camera car is definitely too slow to start, would've made the turn too :colbert:

I don't jump off of green lights exactly because of people like this, but by waiting a second it encourages these cars to turn into incoming traffic, but if I went right away then I'd be out in the intersection with these idiots spending my life dealing with car insurance claims, but by waiting at a green I can at least avoid that, but then that encourages them to... to.......... :tizzy:

edit:
TWO 👏 DAYS 👏 IN 👏 A 👏 ROW 👏 👏

https://i.imgur.com/IJbmQxp.mp4
Bonus unintentional Terminator II theme.

Fame Douglas posted:

People honking incessantly when it doesn't matter is the worst thing, gently caress that person.

Show yourself, coward. I will never stop honking. Actually this is the most I've used my horn in like a year and I do it for two reasons: 1) gently caress these stupid assholes, and 2) I'm trying to get the people around me, specifically behind me, to look up from their cellphones long enough to notice what is going on and maybe not rearend me when I slam on my brakes in the middle of an intersection. The yield-failer not getting T-boned and maybe killed by cars in the lane next to me is a distant secondary concern.

Bonus bonus, immediately before this I saw one of the dumbest left turns in recent memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu_3mlcVG4Q

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 2, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So I'm guessing this is a deal I should jump on?

https://www.viofo.com/en/dash-cam/226-651-a129-pro-duo-ultra-hd-4k-wifi-gps-dashcam-hk3-cpl-4-pairs-fuse-adapter.html#product-details

Price at Amazon for just the A129 Duo Pro is $40 less and I don't think it comes with the hardwire kit and polarizing filter.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 3, 2021

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

New Dashcam Owners Australia crash compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8TZdx6xhc

:nws: for tons of swearing

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My July 4th is off to a great start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BykdC6S9SGg

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did you make contact? Geez Louise. Glad you have a dashcam

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You Am I posted:

What the hell happened with that silver Tiburon at ~4:30?

Best theory I’ve got is on, running, in drive, then he either added enough ATF that it stopped slipping and/or goosed the throttle so it jumped the curb. Yeesh.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

Did you make contact? Geez Louise. Glad you have a dashcam

Yep, bumper is shot and possibly hood. I'm just happy the guy actually took the blame there even when the cops showed up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

devicenull posted:

Yep, bumper is shot and possibly hood. I'm just happy the guy actually took the blame there even when the cops showed up.

Woof. That could have been a lot lot worse. Stand up guy pulling over immediately and already being out of the car, with the "I hosed up, how are you" hand up.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sharkytm posted:

Woof. That could have been a lot lot worse. Stand up guy pulling over immediately and already being out of the car, with the "I hosed up, how are you" hand up.

Yea no poo poo. I had someone rear end me at low speed when I was ~18. Messed up the bumper but otherwise NBD. Took down their name, license, proof of insurance and agreed we didn't need to wait for the cops. (This was pre wide use of smartphones.)

They tried to deny ever being there. Luckily, I sent pictures of their green paint in my bumper and their insurance paid up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea no poo poo. I had someone rear end me at low speed when I was ~18. Messed up the bumper but otherwise NBD. Took down their name, license, proof of insurance and agreed we didn't need to wait for the cops. (This was pre wide use of smartphones.)

They tried to deny ever being there. Luckily, I sent pictures of their green paint in my bumper and their insurance paid up.

I got rear ended by a state trooper and they tried to pin it on me over the phone. Fuckers. I didn't even file for any damages. Blew the airbags in the cruiser and barely left a mark on my Jetta's rear bumper. Always document. Always.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Yea, if I had been two feet further into the intersection it would have been bad.

Turns out he was on his way to church, so uh I guess you kinda can't try to pull anything in that siutation!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

devicenull posted:

Yea, if I had been two feet further into the intersection it would have been bad.

Turns out he was on his way to church, so uh I guess you kinda can't try to pull anything in that siutation!

gently caress it. Get to church, repent, do some hail Marys, all good, no?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

You Am I posted:

The clip at 17:45 has what I've been waiting for: someone getting hit by a tram. I hit several cars back when I used to operate trams, and I really wish that I had dashcam footage for them. Hell, a newer portion of the route I used to run is unofficially "mine" because I got the first vehicle strike: a valet driver returning a brand new Chevy Sonic. His drivers license had expired about 15 years ago, to boot! :toot:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dashcam Owners Australia have started a new channel with weekly videos of stuff sent to them which doesn't go into their monthly videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf06v1ufcOA

:nws: for swearing and possible dead animal

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

The bit at 5:35 is the best example of "do you want to be right, or do you want to get where you're going without an accident" I've seen in a long time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tex Avery posted:

The clip at 17:45 has what I've been waiting for: someone getting hit by a tram. I hit several cars back when I used to operate trams, and I really wish that I had dashcam footage for them. Hell, a newer portion of the route I used to run is unofficially "mine" because I got the first vehicle strike: a valet driver returning a brand new Chevy Sonic. His drivers license had expired about 15 years ago, to boot! :toot:

There is a lot of dashcam footage from Europe of cars turning left in front of trams and other stupid poo poo. Unfortunately pedestrians too

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

The bit at 5:35 is the best example of "do you want to be right, or do you want to get where you're going without an accident" I've seen in a long time.

I had a similar thought when I watched it. Like, you knew he was coming out. His intentions - while *gasp* wrong - were very clear. I feel like there are usually more than a couple incidents per video for these guys that could have been completely avoided if the camera car driver were just paying a little bit more attention.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
There are way too many people who submit clips of them abusing their horns instead of slowing down and using a modicum of courtesy. We all make mistakes, punishing others just leads to road rage.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm grateful that a quarter of dashcam vids are self-inflicted and then posted looking for validation. It keeps the 'spot the a-hole game interesting'

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nocheez posted:

There are way too many people who submit clips of them abusing their horns instead of slowing down and using a modicum of courtesy. We all make mistakes, punishing others just leads to road rage.

Using your horn is a fine art form. At least in NYC. Like how Italians talk with their hands but when I try to do it I look silly. There are many honks, and only some of them are angry.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nocheez posted:

Living in the city, there's nothing worse than horn abusers.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the guy with the dashcam is such a moron for plowing ahead. I sincerely hope they sent the video to the other person's insurance company and now, suddenly, instead of the other driver being seen as being at 100% fault, it's 50-50. :D
Since as Boaz MacPhereson said, it's super clear that the driver was trying to change lanes. And what does the dashcam user do? Accelerate!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

builds character posted:

Using your horn is a fine art form. At least in NYC. Like how Italians talk with their hands but when I try to do it I look silly. There are many honks, and only some of them are angry.

Using your horn when appropriate is fine. Using it in place of your brakes is a bad idea.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the sarcastic :golfclap: at about 9:15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

12:23 as well. The clip starts pretty late in the buildup but there’s no way they shouldn’t have seen them start moving and had plenty of time to react. The horn goes first before the nose dips.