Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Is the Hateful Eight worth watching?

I watched it on an airplane once, it was okay but not worth a rewatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

thatfatkid posted:

Hateful 8 is a solid meh. It's alright up until the needless intermission and the completely bizarre flashback.

Yeah, Hateful 8 was OK, but it really needed like an hour edited off.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I thought Hateful 8 was misogynistic trash. Easily Tarantino's worst of those I've seen. (I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.)

I really enjoyed Jackie Brown, but it's been forever since I've seen it. Occasionally I think about watching it again, but I worry it won't hold up so I never do.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Death Proof is pretty good, imho

quote:

I actually thought it was sort of interesting how Eli Roth (and god, I recall when that fellow was doing stuff like a tongue-in-cheek audio commentary for the early Troma dvd release of Bloodsucking Freaks) focused on tropes from a genre of films, while Edgar Wright looked to characteristics of a genus of trailers. It’s a very wide net the ‘grindhouse’ label casts, especially when you mentally associate it with ‘drive-in’ movies; I blame Something Weird Video for putting out those Drive-In Double Feature dvds back in the day, which were pretty much exactly the same thing as Grindhouse (two features, trailers, vintage advertisements) only slightly more extensive and all-authentic. Then again, the whole idea for this thing allegedly came from Tarantino showing people movies at his house anyway.

JESUS CHRIST SHUT THE gently caress UP

sorry dude i am not reading past that paragraph

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
tarantino hasnt made a truly great movie since the 90s, they're all bloated and in need of editing, but who cares they're still interesting and usually enjoyable and are unique and memorable

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Falstaff posted:

I thought Hateful 8 was misogynistic trash. Easily Tarantino's worst of those I've seen. (I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.)

I really enjoyed Jackie Brown, but it's been forever since I've seen it. Occasionally I think about watching it again, but I worry it won't hold up so I never do.

I wouldn't necessarily say it was misogynist, but I do understand that thought.

Ultimately the film is about despite racial differences, white and black men in society can unite through the common cause of patriarchal society and its abuse of women.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
hate fellate

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

The manson family in the film were depicted as a standin representative for all hippies. You're bad at reading film.

okay.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
All of taratino's movies are good.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Jul 2, 2021

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Forceholy posted:

Yeah, Hateful 8 was OK, but it really needed like an hour edited off.

So don't watch that extra long cut on Netflix

Which did anyone watch the long cut of Once Upon A Time in Hollywood?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
hippies are all boomers now so like, who cares if theyre being represented by the manson family lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
not that, i like, actually think thats whats happening its just if it was true it wouldnt matter

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
tarantino making GBS threads on hippie culture is good, actually

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

FacelessVoid posted:

i don't really like any of tarantino's films,

loser

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
now now, the hippies ushered in many important leftist victories such as

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino but I'll take him any day over the sea of boring, largely interchangeable directors that Hollywood execs seem to love giving billions to every year. Like everyone else who gets big enough, he desperately needs someone to edit out his worst impulses but at least he has a discernable style.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino but I'll take him any day over the sea of boring, largely interchangeable directors that Hollywood execs seem to love giving billions to every year. Like everyone else who gets big enough, he desperately needs someone to edit out his worst impulses but at least he has a discernable style.

yeah, Scorcese is Scorcese because of Thelma Schoonmaker

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Azathoth posted:

yeah this is why I’m happy he exists despite his output never rising above a C in my opinion. sometimes uniqueness is worth it for its own sake

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
hippies weren't the actual left political project of the 1960s, they were a domestic psyop to damage the left

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

yeah this is why I’m happy he exists despite his output never rising above a C in my opinion. sometimes uniqueness is worth it for its own sake

Yeah, if nothing else, it shows that a director can have a distinct style and still appeal to a mass audience.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
tarantino is the best director under the age of 60 not named jesse v johnson

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dr. Killjoy posted:

hippies weren't the actual left political project of the 1960s, they were a domestic psyop to damage the left

Everything is an op

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

tarantino is the best director under the age of 60 not named jesse v johnson

bong joon Ho is 51

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Continuity RCP posted:

Everything is an op
Boy, fuckin' is it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Aglet56 posted:

bong joon Ho is 51

I swear I had American based written in but I really intended to put in anglophone

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the best director under 60 is either Justin Lin or uhhhh idk it’s Justin Lin the man can do action and comedy and his work doesn’t take itself seriously idk what else you could want

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Like, a 3rd of Tarantino movies: rapist gets his dick & balls graphically destroyed

Me, someone who reads good and does other things good too: "this movie clearly endorses the rapists pov"

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

"Saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac"
-Don Henley 40 years ago

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is Leo going to worm his way into a Coen brothers movie as well or is he finally satisfied now that he has his statue?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

"Saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac"
-Don Henley 40 years ago

I listened to Don Henley's 2000 album "inside job."
Some of the songs on that album are the perfect sound track to the world before 9/11

https://genius.com/Don-henley-inside-job-lyrics

It tries to be political but doesn't know how.
Both sides are the same.
You leftist protests are worthless
Comfort in that weird 90's stability that allowed people to laugh at protesters.

https://genius.com/Don-henley-drat-it-rose-lyrics
Or I'm mad at my wife for dying and leaving me with the teenager who is going through an anger phase.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Is the Hateful Eight worth watching?

yes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/ebeggin1/status/1411042166487633921?s=21

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

That's missing Kubrick saying an early Warhammer 40k novel could have been the basis for a movie

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
F9 loving ruled

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
wife and I are watching the live action mulan and holy poo poo is this movie bad. Way too loving serious, and the fight scenes are just so lifeless. I usually like wire-fu rule of cool bullshit but they slow it down to like bullet time and it's 90% cgi so the eye just slides off it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I didn't even see that they were making a movie for Jungle Cruise, I thought the Make Movies Out Of Our Rides trend died 15 years ago

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

KomradeX posted:

So don't watch that extra long cut on Netflix

Which did anyone watch the long cut of Once Upon A Time in Hollywood?

the extra long one is good for watching it over a couple of nights though. makes it more episodic.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

mastershakeman posted:

F9 loving ruled

It's so dumb that F10 is going to be 2 parts. gently caress that poo poo. Just release a 4 hour movie.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

wife and I are watching the live action mulan and holy poo poo is this movie bad. Way too loving serious, and the fight scenes are just so lifeless. I usually like wire-fu rule of cool bullshit but they slow it down to like bullet time and it's 90% cgi so the eye just slides off it.

yeah its quite bad. also the movie makes this really weird change to the story where it paints mulan as flawed by saying shes being dishonest by pretending to be a man, which is uuuh pretty hosed up considering why shes doing that in the first place. i guess they wanted to give her more of an arc but goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

F9 loving ruled

yah

it’s funny that they obviously only had Charlize and Kurt for half a day each. wonder how they’ll fit in to FF10 and how they top driving a car to low earth orbit. Mariana Trench?