Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Miftan posted:

Aren't you in Finland? I'm guessing it's 20c.

+26C today, +30C tomorrow.

Global warming, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Trickjaw posted:

Fucks sake. Give me strength. Oi! Coles! You have far too many pictures of a bloke who knocked up your missus!

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1410990468230533123?s=19

The gap between us and China grows ever larger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqmX8zqXIk

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/chriiiisman/status/1410992597741588486

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

stev posted:

I've always found town houses ugly and off putting. Most of them just look like the posh equivalent of cramming loads of people into a small space.

I don't believe for a second that you can't spot which the nice one is

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

endlessmonotony posted:

Global warming, eh.

Is this a jab at Canada

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I've always found town houses ugly and off putting. Most of them just look like the posh equivalent of cramming loads of people into a small space.

Oh definitely, and the fact that they're almost all HMOs or subdivided into flats - with people having to pay serious money to live in the former servants quarters - only makes things worse.

Fun fact, cos I know you all love them - the switch from the servants quarters in London housing being at the top of the house, with poky little dormer windows, to being in the basement with even less light, coincides exactly with the opening up of the slate industry in Wales at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

Why? Because after 1666 all the roofs were of clay tile, which couldn't be made fully waterproof, so you put things you didn't care about - like servants - directly under them so that nothing important would get too badly waterlogged. Slate roofs are fully waterproof (and the coming of the railways to Wales also dropped the cost of lead to the point that lead flashing to keep them waterproof was cheap enough for conventional housing), so you could safely use the attic space for storage and move your servants to the next least-hospitable space in the building, down in the basement with the leaky septic tank and the coal.

Of course in Scotland and much of northern England they somehow managed to crack the strange devilry of roofs that kept the rain out much, much earlier (roof tiles mounted to tarred boards, although that does have the startling side-effect of being considerably more flammable than a thatched roof) and in Wales of course they just used slate, so attics and garrets didn't have quite as bad a reputation as they do down south, but then they mostly kept the servants in the basement without even the little light well they got in London houses.

(Also my brain has completely blanked on the actual name of that little light well)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

fuctifino posted:

The issue with Gove isn't that his alleged affair is/was with a man, it's supposedly a poweful ex spad who now works in Downing Street, and who is now best mates with Carrie. He's yet another powerful unelected person with huge influence at the centre of our government.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/24/chatty-rat-he-may-be-carrie-symonds-best-friend-but-who-is-henry-newman

The last time the papers called gove gay it was Gavin Williamson alleging an affair between him and Cummings, so I'd definitely hold the "with a spad" bit as a very seperate claim at this point

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

How insufferable would the tories be if they managed to claim both "first female prime minister" and "first gay prime minister"?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Spangly A posted:

The last time the papers called gove gay it was Gavin Williamson alleging an affair between him and Cummings, so I'd definitely hold the "with a spad" bit as a very seperate claim at this point

I'm just going by the twitter chatter. It seems like an open secret about the spad.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Umbra Dubium posted:

How insufferable would the tories be if they managed to claim both "first female prime minister" and "first gay prime minister"?

Not as insufferable as if they could claim first minority ethnic prime minister *looks at The Saj*

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just wanted to say it's time for ice cream. Holy hell I'm sweating.

This I believe is a traditional british flavour (rum raisin). Actually one of my favorites,

This makes me sad because there is nowhere near me selling ice creams like this. There's ice cream vans with their Mr Whippy fake ice cream and the shops with the freezer burnt offerings, but nowhere can sells a proper, pick-your-own-flavour massive scoop of ice cream in a cone.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Tories have the first American PM too.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Of course in Scotland and much of northern England they somehow managed to crack the strange devilry of roofs that kept the rain out much, much earlier

After living in various top floor tenement flats, I can assure you from leaky ceiling experience (and dealing with lovely factors) that this isn't strictly true

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Miftan posted:

Aren't you in Finland? I'm guessing it's 20c.

24C actually and I've shifted several cubic meters of gravel by shovel and wheel barrow. Probably colder right now though, just finished for the night.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pablo Bluth posted:

As someone both with a weakness for ice-cream and currently trying to go a month without eating sweet junk, please stop.

Trying not to eat sweet junk is basically my life since diabetes, but I've done such a phenomenal amount of physical labour today (by my standards anyway) that I could eat it without my sugar spiking.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pablo Bluth posted:

As someone both with a weakness for ice-cream and currently trying to go a month without eating sweet junk, please stop.

I'm also an ice-cream junkie. I've been doing 'no sugar' for 7 weeks now. I made some unsweetened chocolate icecream using a can of light evaporated milk and cocoa (NOT drinking chocolate) 44g of cocoa to a 410g can of evaporated milk. It's delicious but has no sugar or sweetener. Just mix it up and stick in freezer. I don't have any special gadgets.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1411012538704203783?s=21

Adonis is the funniest running gag in British politics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

The Tories have the first American PM too.
Yup, Andrew Bonar Law.

Spangly A posted:

the papers called gove gay
I'm imagining them doing this in the manner of dickhead schoolchildren, because that's what I imagine the British press doing everything as.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is this a jab at Canada

It is not. If it was, I'd mention the churches.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not as insufferable as if they could claim first minority ethnic prime minister *looks at The Saj*

*laughs in D'Israeli*

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm imagining them doing this in the manner of dickhead schoolchildren, because that's what I imagine the British press doing everything as.

Now there's a Round the Horne joke that went over my head when my parents used to play that in the car.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So it looks like Rayner was maneuvering late last night when it looked like Labour had lost Batley & Spen. As such Kier Starmer is going for her again after squeaking through it.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1411025170429583368

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fair play to Keith, he's in a position of overwhelming strength so now is the time to exercise his command and reshape the party to his liking.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Bobstar posted:

Now there's a Round the Horne joke that went over my head when my parents used to play that in the car.

Its a double joke 1) Anthony Bonar Law was PM 2) Bonar means good or beautiful in Polari (gay slang)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's weird to see FBPE Twitter and the Labour right put all of its energy into going after Owen Jones today because he interviewed Galloway. Surely there are better things they could be focusing on.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Coldwar Steve ❤
https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1411041763880583170?s=19

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1410960556358569984

That's MY leader!!!!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Doesn't even make sense rly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It means Labour's going back to perpetual longing for the mid-90s and losing at the semi-finals.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I haven't stopped laughing for a good couple of minutes. CWS is probably the best political satirist of our generation.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

Doesn't even make sense rly.

It doesn't make sense at all, but nothing about this does. It's a huge victory for Starmer, despite being a significantly worst result than 2019, the year Corbyn Destroyed The Labour Party. Listening to the coverage, you'd think this was like that lib dem victory the other day

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Feels weird to post another goons work but this had me howling so mad props to Sanitary Naptime:

https://twitter.com/SanitaryNaptime/status/1411055084390293505

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/02/slough-goes-bankrupt-after-discovery-of-100m-black-hole-in-budget

quote:

A third English local authority has declared itself effectively bankrupt after the discovery of a “catastrophic” £100m black hole in its budget – the result of what it admitted had been years of poor financial management and mishandling of commercial investments.

Labour-run Slough borough council in Berkshire issued a section 114 notice on Friday, after admitting it could not meet its legal obligations to meet planned running costs. Without drastic remedial action it warned its financial deficit could rise to £150m by 2024.

As a consequence, the council is to impose “rigorous spend control measures” that are likely to mean significant job losses, cuts to services, and the sale of buildings and land, to ensure it can “live within its means” in the long term.

How do you miss £100m?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

By being dumb enough to think the government are bluffing about making extreme cuts that are guaranteed to kill and impoverish people, and decide against enacting them after the funding goes

Also embezzlement

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

My experience of council investment is when the local government buy out beloved local businesses, rebuild them from the budget, carry them for several years, then sell the land to property developers the second you might actually make a profit

Looking at you, dreamland

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Down the back of the sofa

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

You set long term projects which cost 100M with money you are projected to get, then the government says you're not getting it any more, but you can't cancel the projects.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The hole was only £10m yesterday.

https://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/19412988.cash-strapped-slough-councils-accounts-investigated-government/

At this rate, it'll billions by Monday.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently my mother is spraying her dog with colloidal silver.

Really wish I wasn't related to such a loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Warn her that if she keeps doing that they might end up voting for Keir Starmer.

fuctifino posted:

At this rate, it'll billions by Monday.
Slough Council takes on entire national debt by next Friday. Opposition leadership agrees that it's only sensible due to their reckless budget discipline.