Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah but a satisfying doesn't necessarily equal good in criticism. Dave's criticism is very arbitrary, which isn't a bad thing it just is, and his reasoning is a good example of that. Which again isn't bad but does make it funny when people get really upset about bad star ratings because one guy didn't like the match.

It's not arbitrary to think "referee distraction and a weapon shot is a boring cliché finish, it took away from the match." Run ins can be dramatic and add to things, this one was just a cheap heat finish. It's fine, but yeah, it takes away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I imagine WWE will promise Jungle Boy and MJF the world, it’s just a matter of whether or not they buy into the bullshit.

WWE would 100% give Jungle Boy a 90210 gimmick.

Not because of his dad, but because that's about where Vince is in terms of cultural relevance.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

MJeff posted:

Janela and Kiss is a bad, bad team.

Joke's on you, that team is gone.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gumball Gumption posted:

That reasoning from Dave is a good example of how silly and subjective the star ratings are. Knocked off half a star because the match is the midpoint in a story.

Well that's the point. The importance of a match counts. MJF was already looking past Sammy before the match even happened.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

the last episode was the first aew stuff i ever watched and that line and a few others got some legit big laughs out of me and i realized its been a really long time since i ever laughed at anything the commentators said on a wrestling show

let me tell you about a little something called AEW Dark aka the Taz & Excalibur Show

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

El Gallinero Gros posted:

AEW doesn't have a single bad tag team, and that is insanely rare. PP will get their moment in the sun, and might even carry the division eventually.

We haven't even talked about Top Flight, who are obscenely good for their age.

Do Honk and Bononi count as a team because Bononi is AEW's bottom tier hoss and from what little I've seen on Honk in-ring I think he's probably had amateur wrestling matches that are better professional wrestling matches than his actual professional wrestling matches. They're fun guys and great stories to have around but they arn't around for anything they do in the ring.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I think JR...should not be on commentary, but he's living a better life than me so whatever.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

ChrisBTY posted:

Well that's the point. The importance of a match counts. MJF was already looking past Sammy before the match even happened.

Yeah and he almost got caught for it. He had to resort to cheating to even close out that match.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ChrisBTY posted:

Do Honk and Bononi count as a team because Bononi is AEW's bottom tier hoss and from what little I've seen on Honk in-ring I think he's probably had amateur wrestling matches that are better professional wrestling matches than his actual professional wrestling matches. They're fun guys and great stories to have around but they arn't around for anything they do in the ring.

Read this as Hook and Bononi.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't remember when it was, but I distinctly remember JR calling MJF either exactly or at least something along the lines of "a boil on the rear end of life", which in my book gives him around 100 real bad flubs as credit earned .

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Evil Badman posted:

Yeah and he almost got caught for it. He had to resort to cheating to even close out that match.

Has MJF ever not cheated to close out a match? It doesn't feel that significant to me

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

He won clean against Jungle Boy, as I recall.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Has MJF ever not cheated to close out a match? It doesn't feel that significant to me

He only grabbed the tights on Jungle Boy IIRC.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChrisBTY posted:

They're good for their position on the card as doofus heels who beat jobbers decisively but get clowned by everyone else.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I agree with dave's star rating, but I ain't too concerned with the finish since I'm one billion percent sure sammy and mjf will have better matches in the future

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CombineThresher posted:

They're good for their position on the card as doofus heels who beat jobbers decisively but get clowned by everyone else.

Yeah their role isn't about workrate, it's about selling their asses off and playing the buffoon which they do very well

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SonicRulez posted:

AEW's tag division is just stupid stacked. Private Party are young and they're featured weekly at this point even if just to do stuff with Matt. I will admit I would've liked to see them spend more time on Impact. That show just frankly has more space for people to get TV time, reps in the ring, and they could pretty quickly be the tag champs without much fuss I'd say. Like do I love PP? Yeah. But I also love Santana and Ortiz, FTR, Jurassic Express, Death Triangle, Best Friends, The Acclaimed (yes I said it), and I'm absolutely forgetting some names.

Please get healthy Butcher and Blade and get into ring shape, TH2.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Wezlar posted:

He took advantage of Jericho trying to cheat at Full Gear, but that match was all over in regards to rules. Also, he's the heeliest heel on the roster. His gimmick is "I'm better than you, and you know it," and it crumbles to dust when you kick out of a top-rope tombstone.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 2, 2021

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rarity posted:

Yeah their role isn't about workrate, it's about selling their asses off and playing the buffoon which they do very well

And raw sex appeal, don't forget the sex appeal.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Isiah Kasidy started working out this year. that's growth right there.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sugar Blaster posted:

i don't mind JR's flubs or weird old southern man idioms because they make him sound like a human and are way better than the clone army vince built to call his programs.

This. JR is fine, you twits. He's earned the right to make a flub every now and then.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

picturing a beautiful new world where the AEW announce team is flub-free, and Veda-saturated

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you've earned the right to stop insulting people and get outta here!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This. JR is fine, you twits. He's earned the right to make a flub every now and then.

It's not about JR making the occasional goof. I don't care when JR slips a word. I can't stand when he clearly audibly tunes out of a match and starts burying it live on the air. The tag rules or the dives. Even if he has a point, that's what I'll hear from some podcast or whatever Thursday. Not live on the show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cerebral Bore posted:

I don't remember when it was, but I distinctly remember JR calling MJF either exactly or at least something along the lines of "a boil on the rear end of life", which in my book gives him around 100 real bad flubs as credit earned .

He also had "That's not a Cross Rhodes, it's a goddamn Double Cross!" when MJF beat somebody with a Cross Rhodes.

He also came up with Jungle Jack Perry.

This concludes the list of good JR contributions I can think of.

Pylons posted:

He only grabbed the tights on Jungle Boy IIRC.

He didn't, it was some whacky clutch. I think it might've literally been a ZSJ move.100% clean.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

This concludes the list of good JR contributions I can think of.

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1326979230236880899

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

MJeff posted:

He also came up with Jungle Jack Perry.

That's pure business acumen at work there. It's humanizing him, and setting up to drop the Jungle Boy part of his name whenever it's actually appropriate to do so (years from now).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Evil Badman posted:

That's pure business acumen at work there. It's humanizing him, and setting up to drop the Jungle Boy part of his name whenever it's actually appropriate to do so (years from now).

Yeah, it was honestly brilliant and I don't doubt JR came up with it on his own.

"Another well-planned stunt gone awry" summarizes a lot of stuff from the Daily's Place era. :laffo:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Daily's Place has seen better wrestling during the pandemic era than the "other"channel in a decade :haw:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ASenileAnimal posted:

the last episode was the first aew stuff i ever watched and that line and a few others got some legit big laughs out of me and i realized its been a really long time since i ever laughed at anything the commentators said on a wrestling show

friend i implore you to check out aew dark aka the Digress Jones show

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Daily's Place has seen better wrestling during the pandemic era than the "other"channel in a decade :haw:

did Impact run a show there????

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Part of one. Moose vs Omega.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's not practical in terms of TV time and story but I'd love AEW to do a World Tag League.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I DON'T THINK I ASKED YOU SMOA JOE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

It's not practical in terms of TV time and story but I'd love AEW to do a World Tag League.

Aren't they about to have a 4th show a week? Could absolutely do a round robin tournament without it dragging on eternally. Just do 2 blocks of 4 teams or something, could bash through in 2-3 weeks with some short recaps on the TV shows of the matches that aired on the YouTube shows.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

How little you know about what makes a good tag team, then.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Aren't they about to have a 4th show a week? Could absolutely do a round robin tournament without it dragging on eternally. Just do 2 blocks of 4 teams or something, could bash through in 2-3 weeks with some short recaps on the TV shows of the matches that aired on the YouTube shows.

lmao.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Hangman Page vs The World Crime League

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Hangman Page should play Buckaroo Banzai in a reboot. You are very correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

xbilkis posted:

The women's division is more ripe for the picking, and it's probably the place where WWE is the most alluring alternative in terms of at least having big names to work with. They're not really "big names" anymore, but I could see someone like Swole or Penelope moving over because they've kinda been lost in the shuffle, although the Swole household might not have the most positive experience with WWE as an employer. Maybe they back up the truck to poach Anna Jay or Jade, although Jade had a WWE tryout and didn't end up there for whatever reason.

Swole will never go to WWE unless they make policy changes. She needs medical marijuana to get through her Crohn's disease.