Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sextro posted:

I mean, yeah you’ll lose if you do such a poo poo job of representing your case.

That said: What’s the most “driver oriented” vehicle I can find for under $30k that’ll be reliable and sized for 4 adults to do 8+ hour interstate drives in?

The market is insane, so I’m not bothering to have any preferences beyond being able to do the above.

Fast Accord probably, alternately Camry TRD V6. This is assuming you really, really value reliability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fast Accord probably, alternately Camry TRD V6. This is assuming you really, really value reliability.

Research was leaning me this way. I’m going to start looking for some v6 accords with sticks, any known stinker years or issues to keep an eye out for?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

$30k might also get you one of the rare 2.0T/manual Accords if that's more your jam. The Accord V6 ended production with the ninth generation, the tenth generation car got a turbocharged K20 mostly lifted out of a Civic Type R. The 2.0T is a hair slower in a straight line, but will probably have no shortage of go-fast parts thanks to that Civic relation. Also, no timing belt on the 2.0.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

The dealership is probably going to point out that they have a signed contract for 10,000 over msrp

If the dealer enters into a contract agreeing to sell you a car for MSRP and they refuse to sell it to you for MSRP, you can then buy the car and sue them for the difference. I believe you can also buy it from someone else and the first dealership will still have to give you the difference, as long as you did your due diligence to cover your own position as best as possible (So no buying one from your buddy for 100k. That won't fly). There's a whole set of rules for "We had an agreement for x amount and the person later refused to perform for x amount so I had to pay y instead and now I'm going to sue them for y - x." It's very common. You should definitely get a lawyer though.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

$30k might also get you one of the rare 2.0T/manual Accords if that's more your jam. The Accord V6 ended production with the ninth generation, the tenth generation car got a turbocharged K20 mostly lifted out of a Civic Type R. The 2.0T is a hair slower in a straight line, but will probably have no shortage of go-fast parts thanks to that Civic relation. Also, no timing belt on the 2.0.

Thems some compelling reasons to cross the naturally aspirated rubicon. I’ve only rented things with whirly bits in them before.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sextro posted:

I mean, yeah you’ll lose if you do such a poo poo job of representing your case.

That said: What’s the most “driver oriented” vehicle I can find for under $30k that’ll be reliable and sized for 4 adults to do 8+ hour interstate drives in?

The market is insane, so I’m not bothering to have any preferences beyond being able to do the above.
I'm going a different way:

The nicest Lexus LS you can get. The 4 adults will thank you.

A much, much cheaper option is the 2006-2010 Infiniti M35/37 (can't speak to 45 reliability). This was the last really good car Infiniti made, they drive really nice for the size, are really comfy, and values have fallen like like rocks, so it should be way, way under 30k. Avoid the AWD version as the front shocks have no aftermarket option and cost loving $texas. Most of the drivetrain bits on the V6 models are shared with other cars, so parts aren't bad. My dad took his to 250k and had pretty minor problems, but the AC broke expensive and it wasn't worth fixing with that many miles.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

nm posted:

I'm going a different way:

The nicest Lexus LS you can get. The 4 adults will thank you.

A much, much cheaper option is the 2006-2010 Infiniti M35/37 (can't speak to 45 reliability). This was the last really good car Infiniti made, they drive really nice for the size, are really comfy, and values have fallen like like rocks, so it should be way, way under 30k. Avoid the AWD version as the front shocks have no aftermarket option and cost loving $texas. Most of the drivetrain bits on the V6 models are shared with other cars, so parts aren't bad. My dad took his to 250k and had pretty minor problems, but the AC broke expensive and it wasn't worth fixing with that many miles.

The infiniti looks like a pretty cool cheap option that was nowhere near my radar (nissan-phobia). Definitely going on the find-to-test-drive list.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Cadillac CTS is tolerably reliable, I think

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sextro posted:

The infiniti looks like a pretty cool cheap option that was nowhere near my radar (nissan-phobia). Definitely going on the find-to-test-drive list.

They're good cars. But as I mentioned AWD front shocks are like $1000, so stick to the RWD. The Ms have an actual proper automatic transmission so you don't have any CVT bullshit, which is part of Nissan's problems.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I’m on track to buy a 2009 Camry with 177k miles on it for $5000. I didn’t see any red flags on the CarFax and the test drive went well. All the recall items have been resolved I suspect I won’t have time to bring it to a mechanic for another inspection.

Am I a moron?

E: Camry, not Corolla

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gnrk posted:

I’m on track to buy a 2009 Camry with 177k miles on it for $5000. I didn’t see any red flags on the CarFax and the test drive went well. All the recall items have been resolved I suspect I won’t have time to bring it to a mechanic for another inspection.

Am I a moron?

As in you didn't bring it to a mechanic for an inspection and you're relying on the seller saying they did and everything is fine? Yes, you're a moron.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please, please, please get a PPI from an independent mechanic.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

gnrk posted:

Am I a moron?

What are your expectations with owning this car?

Yes it’s a Camry, but it’s still 12-13 years old with 177k miles. It’s possible there’s going to be a lot of wear items that are going to need to be replaced in the next year or two.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Being both the owner of a unicorn 2017 Accord V6/stick and driving a 2019 Accord 2.0 Sport(auto, unfortunately) extensively, you can’t go wrong with either, although the stick will put a big grin on your face more often - with the auto, you kinda have to commit fully to hooning around by using WOT, while the stick is conducive to more subtle-but-spirited driving.

Both motors are very nice, I’m biased toward revvy NA engines but the 2.0 is also quite fun. The worst thing about the stick/V6 is atrocious rev hang, I’m thinking about an ECU tune just to get rid of it, it’s that bad. I don’t know if it’s still so irritating with the 2.0T.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I just couldn’t get used to the gear selector buttons on the Accord auto. I’m so used to driving with my hand on the shifter it just felt weird. Plus looking down to push a button for reverse just seemed weird. I’m sure I would adjust and the accords have a lot going for them, but I loving love my used GS.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

KillHour posted:

As in you didn't bring it to a mechanic for an inspection and you're relying on the seller saying they did and everything is fine? Yes, you're a moron.

The CarFax has a pretty good history of oil changes and service being done at the dealer, but the current owner has only had the car a few months and, apparently, doesn't need it anymore because he can now wfh full time. We've had at least four cars bought out from under us while waiting for the inspection, which isn't a reason not to have an inspection, but my partner is getting pretty frustrated (again, not a reason to not have an inspection). I didn't find anything wrong with it with my scanning tool but my gut tells me there isn't any situation where forgoing an inspection is going to be encouraged.

skipdogg posted:

What are your expectations with owning this car?

Yes it’s a Camry, but it’s still 12-13 years old with 177k miles. It’s possible there’s going to be a lot of wear items that are going to need to be replaced in the next year or two.

We're hoping to get 5-6 years out of it, putting ~10k miles on it each year and will be fine doing some maintenance on it.

Thanks everybody!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not saying it's impossible that someone bought a car a few months ago and is now looking to flip it for completely innocent reasons, but it's also just as likely that they bought it and found a bunch of very expensive problems and are feeding you a line of BS to get rid of it. An OBD2 reader isn't going to tell you poo poo. Get it inspected.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Less than a year of ownership is always a red flag for me. Absolutely get it inspected if you want it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nwin posted:

I just couldn’t get used to the gear selector buttons on the Accord auto. I’m so used to driving with my hand on the shifter it just felt weird. Plus looking down to push a button for reverse just seemed weird. I’m sure I would adjust and the accords have a lot going for them, but I loving love my used GS.

It's weird about the first two times you get in the car and go somewhere, but after that I was used to them in my sonata

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Less than a year of ownership probably means they realized that the car is somehow worth twice than what they paid for it at the beginning of the pandemic. You don't have to look far and wide to find people rushing to get rid of cars these days.

If they took it to the dealership for oil changes, there is a good chance they approved all the unnecessary work, upsold by the service department. I've seen plenty of virtually brand new cars with 200k miles on them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Car selling question:

My mom has an '07? or so Explorer Sportrac with 130k miles on it, it's had problems forever. It was making more terrible noises and her mechanic told her it was in such bad shape he wouldn't recommend repairing it due to all the rust on the underbody. It spent the first 5 years or so of its life in northern illinois in heavy snow and salt. I don't know about it being in undriveable shape but every time I've seen it it has worse and worse obvious rust.

She already bought a replacement (boy I hope she didn't get scammed) but what's the best way for her to sell the Sportrac? Carmax? She's in Champaign, IL.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Get a carmax quote as a baseline and compare it to Carvana.

My wife sold her i3 to Carvana a while back and it was super painless. Drove up, dude took some pictures and notes, then we filled out an electronic change of title form for the adMV and got paid that afternoon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Any of the big places are fine really although nobody is likely really want a rusted out explorer

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

So I'm looking at a new car. Forcing myself to take my time since it's definitely not a need. Mostly just trying to take advantage of current trade in values. We have 4 kids and it would be nice if both of our vehicles could hold our whole crew. Doesn't have to be comfortable in every seat, just able to haul everyone. My Versa Note makes us do a few mental calculations to figure out our logistics when we change anything from the normal routine.

Proposed Budget: ~$30,000
New or Used: Prefer new
Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, mostly
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is king
Where do you live? rural Kansas

An extra wrinkle is I have a brother-in-law who works at the local Chrysler dealership, so bonus points if there's a surprising reason to give him a commission.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Explosionface posted:

An extra wrinkle is I have a brother-in-law who works at the local Chrysler dealership, so bonus points if there's a surprising reason to give him a commission.

How do you feel about minivans

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Explosionface posted:

Mostly just trying to take advantage of current trade in values.

It's a sellers market. If you are selling and then buying again immediately you are not benefiting from this.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Explosionface posted:

So I'm looking at a new car. Forcing myself to take my time since it's definitely not a need. Mostly just trying to take advantage of current trade in values. We have 4 kids and it would be nice if both of our vehicles could hold our whole crew. Doesn't have to be comfortable in every seat, just able to haul everyone. My Versa Note makes us do a few mental calculations to figure out our logistics when we change anything from the normal routine.

Proposed Budget: ~$30,000
New or Used: Prefer new
Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, mostly
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is king
Where do you live? rural Kansas

If you're going to be doing a lot of driving with a lot of kids then I would definitely recommend a minivan. Having the three easily accessible rows and lots of interior space is way better than most 3-row SUVs I've seen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A used Chrysler Pacifica with most of the bells and whistles would do you fine. Is there a particular reason you want new?

If you get the 7-seater with the captain chairs you have it a bit easier to get to and from the back.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

thekeeshman posted:

If you're going to be doing a lot of driving with a lot of kids then I would definitely recommend a minivan. Having the three easily accessible rows and lots of interior space is way better than most 3-row SUVs I've seen.

Yeah I suppose they don’t say the age of the kids. If you have more than one car seat a minivan is the way to go. I liked the Honda offering out of the minivan segment but really you just have to get out there and do the test drives.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hrmm, so I want to get a car, and there are a few options I have in mind but I'm not car-smart enough to pick between them. Here's what we're working with:

Proposed Budget: <40k pref <30k
New or Used: used / no pref
Body Style: coupe, sedan or hatch
How will you be using the car?: It'll be a second vehicle -- one that allows me to leave the snowplow hooked up to my truck all winter, and one that can stay clean and not have filthy dogs riding in it ever. So pretty much entirely for fun, though I expect I will use it for most of my daily driving.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: I'd like something that is nice and modern and feels nice and modern, but I don't really have any specific hard requirements here. Currently drive a 2014 Tacoma that has a pretty basic bitch interior.
What aspects are most important to you? Absolutely must be AWD because I live in a very wintery place and I have grown to love Subies + pickups for it. I also live like 4 miles down an unpaved road that is solid ice 3-4 months a year. That said,- I want something fast and sporty that sounds good. Reliability should be decent, at least not something that is a moneypit. Not a Tesla.

The obvious contenders in my mind, are in order: STI, Golf R and Focus RS.

I think my first uncertainty is deciding between the STI and the Golf -- I've owned 2 Subarus and love them, but the Golf seems really competitive. Second big question would be if I'm missing some obvious choices from the whole range of older Audis, BMWs, Mercs, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Hrmm, so I want to get a car, and there are a few options I have in mind but I'm not car-smart enough to pick between them. Here's what we're working with:

Proposed Budget: <40k pref <30k
New or Used: used / no pref
Body Style: coupe, sedan or hatch
How will you be using the car?: It'll be a second vehicle -- one that allows me to leave the snowplow hooked up to my truck all winter, and one that can stay clean and not have filthy dogs riding in it ever. So pretty much entirely for fun, though I expect I will use it for most of my daily driving.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: I'd like something that is nice and modern and feels nice and modern, but I don't really have any specific hard requirements here. Currently drive a 2014 Tacoma that has a pretty basic bitch interior.
What aspects are most important to you? Absolutely must be AWD because I live in a very wintery place and I have grown to love Subies + pickups for it. I also live like 4 miles down an unpaved road that is solid ice 3-4 months a year. That said,- I want something fast and sporty that sounds good. Reliability should be decent, at least not something that is a moneypit. Not a Tesla.

The obvious contenders in my mind, are in order: STI, Golf R and Focus RS.

I think my first uncertainty is deciding between the STI and the Golf -- I've owned 2 Subarus and love them, but the Golf seems really competitive. Second big question would be if I'm missing some obvious choices from the whole range of older Audis, BMWs, Mercs, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

997 carrera 4

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nwin posted:

Oh so you got a GS! If you posted about it already I must have missed it.....Glad I could help with that one.

What ended up deciding it for you against the other cars?

I love the GS and really wanted one, but with my current vehicle needs it wouldn't work well and the nice interior would just get destroyed :(

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh so you got a GS! If you posted about it already I must have missed it.....Glad I could help with that one.

What ended up deciding it for you against the other cars?

I love the GS and really wanted one, but with my current vehicle needs it wouldn't work well and the nice interior would just get destroyed :(

Comfort of the ride
Ventilated seats were better in the Lexus than the accord (as far as actual venting)
Feel of the engine (accord just felt cheaper to me when driving it or revving it)
The interior (I’ll admit I’m petrified of my kids getting in it).

Having owned the Lexus for a month now, I definitely miss the following the accord would have given me:

Gas mileage and 87 octane
CarPlay
Heads up display

The HUD was something I’d never seen prior to testing the accord but it’s a really nice-to-have feature.

CarPlay missing sucks once you’ve driven a car with it. There’s some aftermarket items using the stock Lexus unit but the installs seem kinda crazy and people say they have to randomly reboot.

The mileage/gas requirement is the worst for me, personally. Luckily I don’t drive much right now but I’ve only ever driven cars requiring 87 octane for the last 20 years so it stings when I see the mpg I get after paying for a premium fillup.

All that said-this is the one car I’ve ever had fun driving and actually looked for reasons to take on the road and my commute to work is not bad to really care about the mileage. Now if I get moved to Los Angeles next year, we might have to look at hybrids…

Edit: other cars mentioned

Lexus IS-drove an F series that I loved but the thought of putting a car seat in the back scared me right off.

Kia stinger: there was zero value to be had trying to buy any of these

BMW: I’m not willing to sacrifice reliability so this one didn’t end up being considered.

Hyundai Genesis were impossible to find.

Lexus won me over with the quality of the ride, the comfort, the dealership experience other people talk about, and the price of a CPO was very reasonable even in this hosed up market. I checked carguru and my model hadnt risen appreciably over the past year compared to what I bought it for.

nwin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 5, 2021

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Since I don't feel like dealing with the 6 to 24 month wait in my area for a RAV 4 Prime, I was looking at the Prius Prime. But the Upgrade model in Canada isn't compatible with Android auto, which might be a deal breaker for me. Anyone know why the upgrade doesn't support Android? And are they planning a fix any time soon?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

KillHour posted:

How do you feel about minivans

Honestly, modern minivans are pretty sweet. Our other vehicle is a Pacifica and it's been pretty good so far.

Kids are 9, 6, almost 2 and almost 1 which puts all of them in a car seat/booster except the 9 year-old. On a typical day, I'm only taking the two youngest to day care on my commute to work.

I'm of course (overly?) concerned about the non-standard days. Logistics going wonky and I have to move three kids in the morning, but not afternoon, or what's going to happen as we rack up miles and inevitably send the existing van to the shop, etc. That's kind of why I was thinking an existent, if not terribly comfortable third row.

I am thinking I'll most likely wait for at least a few months and see how things start to shake up in general, but I would still like to get some recommendations/thoughts based on this more complete picture of where we are.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A smaller three row SUV could work as an irregularly used solution - eg the Tiguan or similar where the rear most seats are very uncomfortable but will work in a pinch for kids.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm vaguely interested in getting an electric vehicle, or maybe a hybrid or plug-in hybrid? I know nothing. I know less than nothing. Does the thread have a good primer? I'd like a reliable car that's nice to drive but doesn't guzzle gasoline, like if the Camry came as an EV or plug-in hybrid that'd be swell. Or maybe it already does? I don't know.

Does the Prius still have a douche factor associated with it for whatever reason or has that mostly faded away with time?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It kind of depends on your usage and a few other externals (can you support an L2 charger for a pure BEV, how far is your commute, etc).

Plug-in Hybrids usually have a small amount in EV range (20-75 miles) and then have the gas engine take over. You can get by with a regular wall charger at home, usually.

Hybrids you probably know about how those work alremight.

Hybrids and Plug-In Hybrids still have oil changes to worry about.

BEVs you want to look out for range, as things like weather or prolonged highway speed will drain your range quickly.

The Prius still holds the MPG crown, I think, but the Hybrid Niro, Kona, and I think the Lincoln MKz Hybrid get like 35-50combined mpg.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 8, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

QuarkJets posted:

I'm vaguely interested in getting an electric vehicle, or maybe a hybrid or plug-in hybrid? I know nothing. I know less than nothing. Does the thread have a good primer? I'd like a reliable car that's nice to drive but doesn't guzzle gasoline, like if the Camry came as an EV or plug-in hybrid that'd be swell. Or maybe it already does? I don't know.

Does the Prius still have a douche factor associated with it for whatever reason or has that mostly faded away with time?

The Prius is a ubiquitous car now, and any remaining douchiness it had has been swallowed up by Teslas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

QuarkJets posted:

I was recently in the market for a plug in hybrid. The Prius prime is nice, and it gets really good gas mileage, but the interior is a bit lacking IMO. The Camry is available as a hybrid but nothing with a plug, the only two Toyota’s that come with a plug right now are the Prius Prime and the RAV4 prime. The thread is a big fan of the Prius in general, but that’s because most people come in looking for gas mileage + reliability.

They’re discontinuing it this year, but if you’re looking for something like a Camry with a plug in hybrid system, maybe take a look at the Honda Clarity? It is what I went with.

I would also recommend looking into any local incentives your state may have for plug in vehicles if you are buying new. For the clarity, I’m going to be getting a $7500 tax credit from the feds and NY state took 1700 off the purchase price upfront. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml has the current federal credits, and there is a possibility of newer credits being passed.