Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

evil_bunnY posted:

Somebody will 100% enable it with no sensible rules. The policy should be only specific ports needed for app functionality.

I feel like in these scenarios you need a control like group policy to make sure the service is always enabled and be turned back on automatically if its turned off. You also want something to alert you when someone disables the firewall so you can take actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I feel like in these scenarios you need a control like group policy to make sure the service is always enabled and be turned back on automatically if its turned off. You also want something to alert you when someone disables the firewall so you can take actions.

A lot of places do this, or the Windows Firewall is overridden/replaced by the EDR/AV solution.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jesus christ:

quote:

Researchers from the cybersecurity company Sangfor, who were preparing to present a paper on Print Spooler bugs at a forthcoming Black Hat conference in August 2021, seem to have decided that it would be safe to disclose their proof-of-concept work earlier than intended.

After all, what harm in discussing and demonstrating the Print Spooler RCE bug openly, given that it was now publicly documented as an RCE, and had been patched two weeks earlier?

You can probably guess where this is going.

It seems that the newly-disclosed Print Spooler bug discovered the Sangfor researchers wasn’t actually the same security hole that was fixed on Patch Tuesday.

In short, the Sangfor crew inadvertently documented an as-yet-undisclosed RCE bug, thus unintentionally unleashing a zero-day exploit.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2021/06/30/printnightmare-the-zero-day-hole-in-windows-heres-what-to-do/

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
My new Cyber overlords asked us to ensure the spooler service was disabled on our DCs only.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

droll posted:

My new Cyber overlords asked us to ensure the spooler service was disabled on our DCs only.

Several resources were recommending that pretty heavily in the past month or so. MCAS was listing it as a Identity Security Posture item for a bit as well. It shows at least the bare minimum of research was done.

Lmao if something endpoint related starts loving people.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Watch businesses around the globe moan and bitch for days about "security teams" since they can't print poo poo now for a bit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sickening posted:

Yeah we have domain-wide enforced GPO's for mpssvc

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is the print spooler service enabled by default in e.g.home laptops? Would this bug require network access to exploit?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's auto-startup on every windows AFAIK.

One thing I don't understand is how everyone keeps talking about printnightmare being a DC-specific thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At a guess it's bad, but on a DC it's really bad

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

At a guess it's bad, but on a DC it's really bad
It's just being reported in a borderline misleading way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If I'm reading this right:

cert.org posted:

can allow a remote authenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code with SYSTEM privileges

The "authenticated user" part means you you need a valid user identity for the attack, right? And a domain controller has the identities for everyone in your domain. Some of which are probably already compromised by hackers, but they haven't been able to do anything with a login for JoeShmo the intern.

Whereas your database server shouldn't know who JoeShmo is.

And that's why it's not being reported as a big deal for home users, because

Ynglaur posted:

Is the print spooler service enabled by default in e.g.home laptops? Would this bug require network access to exploit?
yes it requires network access, but also home PCs aren't seriously vulnerable. Unless you have the Guest account turned on with no password or something else equally terrible for security.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 1, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The way I tested it in my homelab it required an authenticated user, its a bigger issue in that its instant privilege escalation from there.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks Klyith.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/google-play-dumps-apks-for-the-more-google-controlled-android-app-bundle/

E: Googles own blog, not that it's making this look any better. https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/06/the-future-of-android-app-bundles-is.html

starting in august google requires you give them the signing key for all new apps on play store, definitely for the fraction of a percent it saves them in bandwidth and definitely not so they can comply with NSLs from multiple countries in order to deliver targeted malware to individuals of state interest.

i, for one, am happy with the new reality that the entire google ecosystem is going to be secured by one underpaid AT&T customer service rep.

2FA: Something you have ($15) something you know (The target's phone number)

There are absolutely ways to do this that work correctly such as requiring a legacy .apk version if you're targeting older phones that don't support their new format, or some code added to AndroidStudio that creates and includes detached signatures for the expected potential combinations (supported languages * architectures, basically) But that doesn't give them the ability to inset their code into everything published through them, which is a massive "whoopsie!" on their part that they're correcting.

Harik fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 2, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Sickening posted:

Several resources were recommending that pretty heavily in the past month or so. MCAS was listing it as a Identity Security Posture item for a bit as well. It shows at least the bare minimum of research was done.

Lmao if something endpoint related starts loving people.

Cyber is asking that we disable write access to /system32/spooler/drivers on all print servers and endpoints now, apparently this allows users to print but not be exploited.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

droll posted:

Cyber is asking that we disable write access to /system32/spooler/drivers on all print servers and endpoints now, apparently this allows users to print but not be exploited.

Can you link me the article they are following? I found a blog post about it and its becoming a loving chore to implement it because its not coming from a major source.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The meeting they scheduled is for Tuesday next week, I don't have any additional info. I don't know if they're following published shared knowledge or if this solution was homegrown. I asked for a copy of the GPO config they want pushed, because we are a recent acquisition (small company) by their very big company and they must already be doing this across 10,000x more workstations than me. But I probably won't have any more til next week. Security is very important but 3 day summer holidays are more important.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
fwiw microsoft published official guidance:

https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2021-34527

Option 2 has been reported as working for workstations.

whimsicaltelegraph
Apr 5, 2021

CuON31
Kaseya falls. Supply chains are useful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

whimsicaltelegraph posted:

Kaseya falls. Supply chains are useful.

The somewhat panicky, information light "advisory"

quote:

Important Notice July 2nd, 2021

We are experiencing a potential attack against the VSA that has been limited to a small
number of on-premise customers only as of 2:00 PM EDT today.

We are in the process of investigating the root cause of the incident with an abundance
of caution but we recommend that you IMMEDIATELY shutdown your VSA server until
you receive further notice from us.

Its critical that you do this immediately, because one of the first things the attacker does
is shutoff administrative access to the VSA.

https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403440684689

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND WHEN I SAID I WANT A LONG WEEKEND

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Harik posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/google-play-dumps-apks-for-the-more-google-controlled-android-app-bundle/

E: Googles own blog, not that it's making this look any better. https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/06/the-future-of-android-app-bundles-is.html

starting in august google requires you give them the signing key for all new apps on play store, definitely for the fraction of a percent it saves them in bandwidth and definitely not so they can comply with NSLs from multiple countries in order to deliver targeted malware to individuals of state interest.

i, for one, am happy with the new reality that the entire google ecosystem is going to be secured by one underpaid AT&T customer service rep.

2FA: Something you have ($15) something you know (The target's phone number)

There are absolutely ways to do this that work correctly such as requiring a legacy .apk version if you're targeting older phones that don't support their new format, or some code added to AndroidStudio that creates and includes detached signatures for the expected potential combinations (supported languages * architectures, basically) But that doesn't give them the ability to inset their code into everything published through them, which is a massive "whoopsie!" on their part that they're correcting.

I wonder what this means for fdroid

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Tryzzub posted:

THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND WHEN I SAID I WANT A LONG WEEKEND

New thread title please.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

New thread title please.

:hai:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

are you sure you're on the right account?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
I hope not!

re: Kaseya word on the street from an MDR friend is that it is in fact bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tryzzub posted:

I hope not!

re: Kaseya word on the street from an MDR friend is that it is in fact bad.

Hearing Ransomware rumors from some of my friends. No substantiation of course.

Keep waiting for it to happen to TCS

E: Hey, look who's back
https://twitter.com/BleepinComputer/status/1411051117329457153?s=20

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol MSP bloodbath

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't feel like I really understood what the implications are. Could somebody explain it to me like I'm a five year old who can code?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

are you sure you're on the right account?

Looks like we finally solved the mystery of who NSA wizard really is.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mr. Crow posted:

I wonder what this means for fdroid
Nothing, i think. APK is still the most commonly used packaging format and google is doing this because they want the ability to inject malware at the behest of the governmentto save a fraction of a percent on bandwidth bills but can't since the phones require updates to be signed with the same key as the current version. Unless fdroid wants in on the NSL compliance racket they shouldn't need to hijack the signing keys of everything in their repo.

I'm going to take a quick step back here and list some potential positive outcomes for security: with the signing key of (eventually) every app on the store, if a commonly used third-party library has a security hole it gives google the ability to mass-update everything to correct it by replacing the impacted file and re-signing. I guess.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't feel like I really understood what the implications are. Could somebody explain it to me like I'm a five year old who can code?

Kaseya is an RMM tool that allows managed services providers to remotely manage their clients’ IT infrastructure. It’s essentially a centralized console with highly privileged access to potentially hundreds of their customers’ “crown jewels”.

This ransomware is using it as a launch point. It has the potential to lock up thousands of small to mid-size companies.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 3, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

MSPs are basically outsourced IT departments, typically for for small to medium businesses that want managed systems but don’t want to pay for a full-time staff to do the management. MSPs also sometimes take over specific functions in larger organizations.

Kaseya VSA is a management platform that basically does remote administration, including patch management. Lots of MSPs use it, especially for smaller clients where they’re not going to have someone on-site most of the time.

There’s some kind of compromise of Kaseya VSA that allows REvil to push an “update” to Kaseya clients that’s actually just ransomware. So, REvil has the ability to mass-push ransomware through trusted channels to lots and lots of small businesses that don’t have any IT expertise of their own, and who are dependent on service providers who operate on a capacity planning model that assumes simultaneous disasters at every single client couldn’t possibly happen.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

There’s some kind of compromise of Kaseya VSA that allows REvil to push an “update” to Kaseya clients that’s actually just ransomware. So, REvil has the ability to mass-push ransomware through trusted channels to lots and lots of small businesses that don’t have any IT expertise of their own, and who are dependent on service providers who operate on a capacity planning model that assumes simultaneous disasters at every single client couldn’t possibly happen.

I've always wondered if there's been an MSP that's gotten owned and that ended up cascading to a ton of business'.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:stare:

This is making me feel like the Internet is a goon project.

Concept: a world-wide, distributed network that can continue working even in the event of a nuclear war

Reality: A handful of points-of-failure can shut the whole thing down because people don't want to do their own server maintenance.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Defenestrategy posted:

I've always wondered if there's been an MSP that's gotten owned and that ended up cascading to a ton of business'.

Yes happens a lot, been ramping up in the last couple years. The Kaseya one is a bigger deal since it was utilizing the provider of the MSP management software. :(

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 3, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Reality: A handful of points-of-failure can shut the whole thing down because people don't want to do their own server maintenance.

It's the Catch-22 of small/medium budget IT: if you out-source part(s) of it, you're now pretty much blindly accepting the security posture of those companies as your own--some are ok, some are trash, and it's often real hard to tell which is which until it's too late. Keep it all in-house, and chances are real high that your tiny IT department will get overwhelmed, miss stuff, not know what they're doing sufficiently to build things correctly, etc.

You're pretty much just hosed either way. MSPs get a lot of action because they can be cheaper than in-house as well as providing an easy hand-off when it comes time to make that cyber insurance claim.

Make good cold backups, that's about the best you can do half the time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A handful of points-of-failure can shut the whole thing down because people don't want to do their own server maintenance.

Get a grip. This is not some kind of karmic retribution on small to medium sized companies that do not have the staff and/or know how to run part or even all of their IT dept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Paying $1,000,000 for a MSSP that scans, detects and reports but not paying for someone to fix the poo poo they find is really paying off. Ask me how I know.