Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

binge crotching posted:

What the gently caress happened there?

The Philly PD happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

binge crotching posted:

ACAB happened

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

binge crotching posted:

That's probably from the time the Phily police dropped several bombs out of a helicopter on some black people.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

binge crotching posted:

The Philadelphia PD bombed black people for being uppity

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Don’t forget that the FBI gave philly PD the bombs so they could try out their new “domestic terrorism” method of conflict resolution.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I would have guessed meth lab, but that works too.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The Philadelphia PD bombed black people for being uppity

were any of the cops responsible given _____ sentences as enemies of the state and its people

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

were any of the cops responsible given _____ sentences as enemies of the state and its people

hahahahahahahahaha

no the fire chief testified that they let two blocks of the city burn on purpose, and it was also recently discovered that they did a bunch of night doctor bullshit with the dead kids.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/22/move-bombing-black-children-bones-philadelphia-princeton-pennsylvania

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 2, 2021

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gromit posted:

All this talk about mouse pointers, I'm surprised more OCD people don't freak out about the thing not being symmetrical. Scaling it up would just make it worse.
Why would you do this to me?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

shame on an IGA posted:

hahahahahahahahaha

no the fire chief testified that they let two blocks of the city burn on purpose, and it was also recently discovered that they did a bunch of night doctor bullshit with the dead kids.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/22/move-bombing-black-children-bones-philadelphia-princeton-pennsylvania

political opinion my opinions about capital punishment have been changing, acab

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Also, I'm very ignorant about this kinda thing but isn't there more to determining the potential yield of an explosive than simply relying on the weight? Like what its composed of, how much the material has degraded, and like literally everything that isn't just how much it weighs.

KABC has interviews with the LAPD where they keep insisting the container is rated for 50 lbs of explosives but that seems like a really reductive way to think about potential energy.

hahaha, loving bullshit. There is no loving way something that small is going to contain 50 lbs of high explosives. The DHS review of explosive containment chambers lists them all as 5-8kg of tnt of rated containment (https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/TVC-MSR_0714-508.pdf). They loving overloaded the vessel and blew up a residential neighborhood because they're malicious idiots.

Using weight for explosive potential is fine, high explosives are within like 20% of TNT, and homemade stuff is going to be less powerful. Sure there's gonna be differences in sensitivity, and detonation speed. But 50lb bombs of C4, TNT, or ANFO are gonna perform close enough to each other to not worry about.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This derail is really more Americana.jpg than OSHA. I'm sure all the cops and firefighters were completely safe.

jetz0r posted:

hahaha, loving bullshit. There is no loving way something that small is going to contain 50 lbs of high explosives. The DHS review of explosive containment chambers lists them all as 5-8kg of tnt of rated containment (https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/TVC-MSR_0714-508.pdf). They loving overloaded the vessel and blew up a residential neighborhood because they're malicious idiots.

Using weight for explosive potential is fine, high explosives are within like 20% of TNT, and homemade stuff is going to be less powerful. Sure there's gonna be differences in sensitivity, and detonation speed. But 50lb bombs of C4, TNT, or ANFO are gonna perform close enough to each other to not worry about.

50lbs of C4 is going to be WAY different than 50lbs of ANFO. The detonation velocity of C4 is ridiculous (8,000 m/s), ANFO is practically the other end of the scale (3,000 m/s). Even sensitized ANFO doesn't touch on things like C4 and RDX.

Edit: If you mean they'll all perform the same in the explosive proof box, then oh hell yeah that box is hosed, you're absolutely, 100% correct. The key difference here is how far are pieces of it going to go.

Here's a crazy guy blowing up a box designed to contain some explosives, not the same one the LAPD is using, but it should give you an idea how bad they hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du5H1AtdZYc

Sammus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 2, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Holy gently caress, I had never heard of the MOVE bombing before. Is there a German word for something that is jaw-dropping and insane and yet completely unsurprising?

jesus christ

:siren:

:siren:

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Has USCSB had any of their funding restored? It (understandably) always took them a long time to make videos about chemical incidents but ever since previous admin killed their funding there's been no new videos :ohdear:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Philadelphia certainly has an issue with booming row houses

Look at those firewalls though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's that time of week again.

Bonus:

Yes, he's digging underneath his shed. In an unshored hole. Alone. At night.

Also, there's a huge 'crack' at the bottom of the hole, so he may well be digging into a cave.

At this point, I can only assume either the authorities don't have the internet, or Colin Furze is a secret mastermind who has totally hidden where he lives.

At the end of his bunker video he mentions that he got retroactive planning permission, which probably means he built it and then dared the local agency to make him tear it down.

I am literally a professional licensed deep-hole-worrier-abouter and this isn't nearly as bad as it looks. Based on the little bit of actual digging work they show here and in the bunker videos his house is on reasonably good rock a few feet down (they had to use a hoe-ram to dig and shape much of the hole for the bunker). I've seen scarier-looking excavation faces in actual professional excavation and tunneling jobs. I'm pretty sure these are being shot and edited to make it look more dangerous than it is, and to make the digging look a lot easier than it really is. I would probably be more worried about standing under those plastic tubs full of rock during the hoist operation than stability of the excavation.

Still have to see what he does for overhead support when they start mining the actual tunnel though, that will be a lot more questionable than the sides of this shaft.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2021

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Potato Salad posted:

Lol there was a statue of the guy that ordered it outside city hall until last year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sammus posted:

This derail is really more Americana.jpg than OSHA. I'm sure all the cops and firefighters were completely safe.

Wasn't a cop killed in the firefight? In any case I meant it as a joke.

withak posted:

At the end of his bunker video he mentions that he got retroactive planning permission, which probably means he built it and then dared the local agency to make him tear it down.

I am literally a professional licensed deep-hole-worrier-abouter and this isn't nearly as bad as it looks. Based on the little bit of actual digging work they show here and in the bunker videos his house is on reasonably good rock a few feet down (they had to use a hoe-ram to dig and shape much of the hole for the bunker). I've seen scarier-looking excavation faces in actual professional excavation and tunneling jobs. I'm pretty sure these are being shot and edited to make it look more dangerous than it is, and to make the digging look a lot easier than it really is. I would probably be more worried about standing under those plastic tubs full of rock during the hoist operation than stability of the excavation.

I'm not a hole worrier but in the latest shaft digging video he has some sort of steel frame and net supporting the walls, so I'm pretty sure he's not really suicidal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Wasn't a cop killed in the firefight? In any case I meant it as a joke.

I'm not a hole worrier but in the latest shaft digging video he has some sort of steel frame and net supporting the walls, so I'm pretty sure he's not really suicidal.

Yeah he put that in when they got to the bottom, and it looked perfectly adequate based on my thorough youtube inspection. He tends to massively overengineer things when it comes to steel fabrication.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I would berry my shovel so far inside your asphalt who ever could pull it out would be crowned king arthur

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

dialhforhero posted:

I would berry my shovel so far inside your asphalt who ever could pull it out would be crowned king arthur

Whoso pulleth out this shovel of this asphault and roadway, is rightwise king born of all Michigan

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority has been doing a bang-up job in Somerville recently on their years-late and billions-short Green Line Extension project. Two bridges in the area have been closed to all traffic for nearly two years longer than originally promised, and the most recent bridge to reopen, over Washington Street, just had its underpass become an enormous swimming pool after some seriously heavy rainfall. The whole project's been plagued with drainage problems and that's why those other two bridges are still closed, but this is the first time there's been an operational failure open to the public. And, of course, the public's going to try to ford the drat thing and fail.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

binge crotching posted:

piggies

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/UwPtLR1.mp4

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Don’t walk under a suspended load gently caress

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

:stare:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

corgski posted:

At least without a hard hat he didn't have to worry about any kind of long, painful recovery.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Those two guys are lucky they only got all the poo poo in their body squeezed out of them not all the organs

gently caress thats harrowing

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lol black shirt guy put on red shirt guy's hardhat.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

https://twitter.com/MLopezSanMartin/status/1411045300781948931?s=19

Whoops! Underwater oil/gas pipe on fire.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

corgski posted:

It also looks like the load is another crane that fell over, so this group is really just not doing well with cranes.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A guy working a local car wash lost his leg while working at a car wash.

https://helenair.com/news/local/hel...ome-top-story-1

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKain posted:

Was he working at a car wash?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

A Kaiju is going to come out of that any second now

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

TVs Ian posted:

It also looks like the load is another crane that fell over, so this group is really just not doing well with cranes.

What are the chances it happens twice?

CitizenKain posted:

What are the chances it happens twice?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

A Kaiju is going to come out of that any second now

Wider view:

https://twitter.com/MLopezSanMartin/status/1411059695503261697?s=20

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Are they spraying the sea with water?

I don't think that's going to help.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

the open ocean literally boiling with flame is the kind of poo poo that looks so cognitively dissonant that it's a little difficult to comprehend on first glance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

NOAA employee: oh hey u guys are back early

Exxon: ocean's burning

NOAA employee: what?

Exxon: *loading super soaker and getting back on ship* ocean's burning