Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gonna write a long-form reddit post about a man who grows increasingly unhinged making renovations and additions to his house because he bought a used GroverTool at an estate sale.

He's found entombed in the insulation in a wall after the roof caves in because he cut the joists in the attic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna write a long-form reddit post about a man who grows increasingly unhinged making renovations and additions to his house because he bought a used GroverTool at an estate sale.

He's found entombed in the insulation in a wall after the roof caves in because he cut the joists in the attic.

Now I am trying to do a "The Cask of Amontillado" joke and I just can't manage it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Josef bugman posted:

Now I am trying to do a "The Cask of Amontillado" joke and I just can't manage it.

you'll do it yourself, Montresor!/yes, i will do it myself!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Josef bugman posted:

he had a weak point -this grover- although in other regards he was a mod to be respected and even feared. He prided himself on his connoisseurship in insulation.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

didn't JB get made a mod shortly before he started this project :tinfoil:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

You could write a story about a deranged, possessed mod who entombs himself in a stair case but it’s require the mod to be able to build a staircase in the first place and that’s not happening, so...

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Josef bugman posted:

Amondiyado, surely?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

didn't JB get made a mod shortly before he started this project :tinfoil:

some mods aren't pedos. some endanger children indirectly, through amateur contruction projects

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
This also reminds me of Rytheric and his insane GroverTruk

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tenkaris posted:

This also reminds me of Rytheric and his insane GroverTruk

I geniunely hope they are ok. :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I wanted to ask about that, dude made a post asking where he could make a thread about his life and then he just vanished :ohdear:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I too hope Rytheric isn't dead, and hopefully is living in safe housing with water/a kitchen/power for his CPAP

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paracaidas posted:

Amondiyado, surely?
:golfclap:

The Tasks of AnonDIYado

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I too hope Rytheric isn't dead, and hopefully is living in safe housing with water/a kitchen/power for his CPAP

He posts in the goons.cx gaming discord all the time, he's doing pretty great. He might still play Eve Echoes too, I haven't kept up with that in a while.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

he's doing pretty great. He might still play Eve Echoes too

as a former EVE player these statements seem contradictory

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

as a former EVE player these statements seem contradictory

The phone game version is substantially less... *that* then regular Eve, imo. It's a fairly casual pubbie griefing simulator you can play on the toilet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How are you supposed to fight something if you don’t know how it works?

karl marx, key endorser of capitalism

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is the explaining=endorsing idiocy a distillation of a cargo cult understanding of "no ethical consumption under capitalism" type stuff?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is the explaining=endorsing idiocy a distillation of a cargo cult understanding of "no ethical consumption under capitalism" type stuff?

I think it’s just echo chamber online brainworms. I have an honors degree in political science and still won’t touch the SA politics forums.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

just another idiot who wasn't 'into' politics till around 2016 and then spent the last 5 years speed-running losing their mind.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

they are referring to the tendency of people to explain a law and say "that's just how it is" in a really callous way.

which wasn't what was happening, unless you are terminally addicted to seeing everyone in a discussion as the enemy.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Fister is an old D&D poster who is usually a good contributor, I think they were just incensed about that particular issue.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Nah. it's, "I want to scream my emotions out into the world, and anyone who doesn't reflect my emotions back to me is evil."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's a cynical way to try and head off criticism. He knew it was a non-issue, and he obviously realized it at the end of writing all the stupid words he wrote, which is why he appended that unbelievably stupid counterargument to the end of the post. Like yeah it could be seen as an endorsement, if you're a loving idiot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The real funny thing is if you don’t actually know how something works how TF you gonna try or make suggestions to try and change it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

The real funny thing is if you don’t actually know how something works how TF you gonna try or make suggestions to try and change it?

You won’t change anything, but you will successfully Be Mad Online about it, which I think is the main goal for some people.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ignorance really is bliss for some people.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Ignorance really is bliss for some people.

lmao at all the people who thought being left wing was ever going to be about winning

That the monstrous forces that must be overcome was something that could happen in a matter of years. Ah poo poo everythings gone wrong time to give up.

fuckin lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Look, I don't need to understand things, or broaden my horizons, or be curious about things, that's all lib poo poo. In 2021, I only need my favorite podcasts and memes to deliver my opinions to me, fresh and spicy.

Heath has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Jul 3, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Heath posted:

Look, I don't need to understand things, or broaden my horizons, or be curious about things, that's all lib poo poo. In 2021, I only need my favorite podcasts and memes to deliver my opinions to me, fresh and spicy.

I mean, that’s basically what it comes down to. A reflexive “hearing thing I don’t agree with=bad” and “people saying thing that =bad are also bad” reaction. No thought, just reaction.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, that’s basically what it comes down to. A reflexive “hearing thing I don’t agree with=bad” and “people saying thing that =bad are also bad” reaction. No thought, just reaction.

I don't think it's even that, it's just that there are people who are in a constant state of flummoxed anxiety about the state of the world (which is part of the growing pains of becoming "woke" in the 2015 sense of the term, becoming aware) and who are unable to keep composure in the face of any reminder that evil is banal, and as well can't cope with the idea that other people aren't in this constant, hypertense state of anxiety, because how could you be, with all of this around you? If I can't stare directly into the face of this immense evil and not be utterly repulsed, and anxious, and ratcheted to 11 at all times, how can you? It must be because you accept, if not tacitly endorse, the evil yourself. And in the online sphere of constant performative hyperreaction, that same chain of logic leads you to develop an implicit trust of the performatively outraged, because their outrage legitimizes your outrage, and there's a giant game of one-upsmanship happening all the time. Conversely, you implicitly distrust the man who stays calm in the face of evil, because you yourself are in such a tense state of mind that you can't comprehend how they're not just as angry as you are.

Edit: basically if you're in that state of mind, someone who is even able to look at something as rage-inducing as the Cosby release and treat it with even the cursory stability of mind to explain it rationally is going to look an awful lot like they're okay with it on some level

Heath has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Jul 3, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Heath posted:

I don't think it's even that, it's just that there are people who are in a constant state of flummoxed anxiety about the state of the world (which is part of the growing pains of becoming "woke" in the 2015 sense of the term, becoming aware) and who are unable to keep composure in the face of any reminder that evil is banal, and as well can't cope with the idea that other people aren't in this constant, hypertense state of anxiety, because how could you be, with all of this around you? If I can't stare directly into the face of this immense evil and not be utterly repulsed, and anxious, and ratcheted to 11 at all times, how can you? It must be because you accept, if not tacitly endorse, the evil yourself. And in the online sphere of constant performative hyperreaction, that same chain of logic leads you to develop an implicit trust of the performatively outraged, because their outrage legitimizes your outrage, and there's a giant game of one-upsmanship happening all the time. Conversely, you implicitly distrust the man who stays calm in the face of evil, because you yourself are in such a tense state of mind that you can't comprehend how they're not just as angry as you are.

I think we’re both talking about the same concept but you put it into words way better than most people could.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
A lot of imagining someone to get mad at due to someone else imagining someone to get mad at itt. The op stupidly assuming other people were explaining in bad faith isn't proof positive of some grandiose political trend imo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

A lot of imagining someone to get mad at due to someone else imagining someone to get mad at itt. The op stupidly assuming other people were explaining in bad faith isn't proof positive of some grandiose political trend imo

No, but there’s a lot of people looking for reasons to get mad and, in your words, going from Kramer to Richards. This explains a certain chunk of behavior that you see online constantly.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think the whole thing just baffles me to some extent because I have some history with actual debate, and one of the best forms of prep is to understand the opposing position well-enough to argue it yourself. Hell, sometimes we would be assigned positions to argue, some of which were quite objectionable. With something more defined and objective like law, the whole explaining=endorsing thing gets particularly stupid.

Like tonight I looked up the history of the IOC banning marijuana, which I still think is stupid, in order to understand the context of the runner who got disqualified this past week. Having that context in no way makes me feel the policy is less stupid, but now I could argue about it more effectively. This just seems like such basic stuff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
THC is really the opposite of a performance enhancing drug so really when they have an issue with a runner they should give them a free ounce

Kazinsal has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Jul 3, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think the whole thing just baffles me to some extent because I have some history with actual debate, and one of the best forms of prep is to understand the opposing position well-enough to argue it yourself. Hell, sometimes we would be assigned positions to argue, some of which were quite objectionable. With something more defined and objective like law, the whole explaining=endorsing thing gets particularly stupid.

Like tonight I looked up the history of the IOC banning marijuana, which I still think is stupid, in order to understand the context of the runner who got disqualified this past week. Having that context in no way makes me feel the policy is less stupid, but now I could argue about it more effectively. This just seems like such basic stuff.

And that exact situation is tricky since with constitutional law there’s a lot of “hmm, I like the principle of this concept” (in this case, the fifth amendment guaranteed right to not self incriminate) but the execution here sucks a lot” and you can’t talk competently about it if you aren’t able to explain the hows and whys of what happened.

Kazinsal posted:

THC is really the opposite of a performance enhancing drugs so really when they have an issue with a runner they should give them a free ounce

You say that, but have you ever tried to go on an athletes diet? Something has to get you to eat that many calories a day.

Double e: not actually in favor of the ban

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

More and more I'm convinced that when someone responds to something with an accusation of "making up a guy" it's because they feel like it describes them

What I'm describing is a state of mind I myself have been in personally in the past, especially in the early days of Trump Derangement Syndrome where being angry and suspicious and paranoiac was the order of the day for basically everybody and the Daily Show Liberal scales fell from our eyes. It's a manifestation of anxiety that we as a society weren't (and aren't) prepared to deal with properly and certain online spaces and social circles tend to be tailor made to keep you in it all the time, where you feel like poo poo constantly but somewhere in the back of your head you feel like you need to keep that candle burning or else you'll waste your rage or betray the cause somehow -- stay hungry. It's the same thing that keeps you doomscrolling for hours and the algorithm is all too happy to keep feeding it to you and your friends, who also all stay cranked all of the time.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No, but there’s a lot of people looking for reasons to get mad and, in your words, going from Kramer to Richards. This explains a certain chunk of behavior that you see online constantly.

Yeah, I guess I would chalk it up more with the speed people assume the worst out of especially who's going to reply, and how they go about mitigating it. I don't think people were exactly doing the lovely "I'll explain (bad practice) thing as if it explains why (bad practice) is normal" thing the OP was outlining, and really Richardsed away their "these probes were dumb" point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hasn't actual organised 'debate' been a space completely controlled by the right for a decade plus because there's no actual counter to the gish gallop in the official rules