Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

i dont understand the upside of using a voice assistant? is everybody elbow deep in raw chicken at all times and cant use their phone?

it’s cool and you feel less lonely ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1411032517306728452

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it’s gimmicky bullshit that lets people feel like they’re living in ~the future~ which Bezos pushes so he can harvest your conversations for marketing data

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Real hurthling! posted:

i dont understand the upside of using a voice assistant? is everybody elbow deep in raw chicken at all times and cant use their phone?

a lot of people really like the feeling of ordering someone around

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Many people are better at talking than typing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

that weird dude is "dr. luke", the most prominent member of max martin's scene that writes nearly ALL pop songs.

people really don't understand just how bad the capitalist monoculture really is.

oh the dude who raped ke$ha and leaked pics of her covered in semen? weird.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/hinz_tamara/status/1411041246303461380?s=21

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

hahaha fuuuuuck

FFT posted:

Do these people not have middle names?

My grandmother went by her middle name for 85 years and in the last 5 years of her life had to start using her first name because various parts of our bureaucracy have decided that using your middle name is now fraud.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this feels pretty dystopian:
https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/1411074599803142146

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thank you facebook! i'm glad now that TV is no longer a moral authority that the establishment is desperately trying to transform every social media platform into a moral authority.

sorry guys that ship has sailed, no on is listening to your crap

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

In the 1800s, when mining businesses would go under, they'd just leave their room-and-pillar mines intact because gently caress everybody else, they're bankrupt, and then some years later, a Denny's collapses into a sinkhole. Someday there's going to be an oil spill bigger than Deepwater Horizons, and unlike BP being around to pay damages, the company's just going to go under, and because Democrats decided not to do anything in 2010 or anything since, there'd be nothing stopping that. As long as oil is around as an energy source, the companies should be paying sufficient cleanup insurance, but they're not

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. idiots love to discover solutions to problems that don't exist and then tell everyone how much better off they are now that the problem that didn't exist is solved.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

i am harry posted:

it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. idiots love to discover solutions to problems that don't exist and then tell everyone how much better off they are now that the problem that didn't exist is solved.

The canonical example I remember growing up is lasers, but now lasers are pretty useful and thus not exciting.

Voice assistance I can see being useful for a lot of industrial and medical work, and its probably being used that way already. Other than that it seems like it's just cop surveillance that you pay for.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tulip posted:

The canonical example I remember growing up is lasers, but now lasers are pretty useful and thus not exciting.

Voice assistance I can see being useful for a lot of industrial and medical work, and its probably being used that way already. Other than that it seems like it's just cop surveillance that you pay for.

a lot of the places where voice input might be useful it's also a liability without specialized command-keywords that don't overlap with any language. like imagine you're trying to paint some happy little trees only to get a forest of threes instead.

or if an anesthesiologist brainfarts and says the wrong word and the patient wakes up to find they've been euthanized by mistake.

another good example of Wondertech Solutions To Problems That Never Existed is wearable devices for seamless geolocated augmented-reality crap, like googlegoggles or whatnot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silentsnack posted:

another good example of Wondertech Solutions To Problems That Never Existed is wearable devices for seamless geolocated augmented-reality crap, like googlegoggles or whatnot.

the "problem" being solved by AR is people being not being exposed to a sufficient amount of advertising for googles taste

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

silentsnack posted:

or if an anesthesiologist brainfarts and says the wrong word and the patient wakes up to find they've been euthanized by mistake.

Now that's malpractice if I ever seen it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Now that's malpractice if I ever seen it.

Ha! I live in Texas. Our tort reform laws were so successful that you basically can't get a lawyer to take a medical malpractice suit for any reason, because damages are capped so low as to make it not worth the time and expense of building and pursuing case against a corporate hospital conglomerate with a hive of lawyers and infinite money.

Meanwhile the cost of malpractice insurance and healthcare here have continued to rise as much or more as the rest of the US, when that was the whole justification for tort reform in the first place.

In short: we got hosed, and these assholes still claim it was a great success that other states should follow to improve their health care systems.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silentsnack posted:

I got a great idea for THAT advertising campaign: googlegoggles, one of us one of us

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

impossible, everyone knows pipelines never break or leak

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ha! I live in Texas. Our tort reform laws were so successful that you basically can't get a lawyer to take a medical malpractice suit for any reason, because damages are capped so low as to make it not worth the time and expense of building and pursuing case against a corporate hospital conglomerate with a hive of lawyers and infinite money.

Meanwhile the cost of malpractice insurance and healthcare here have continued to rise as much or more as the rest of the US, when that was the whole justification for tort reform in the first place.

In short: we got hosed, and these assholes still claim it was a great success that other states should follow to improve their health care systems.

At least it helped the struggling insurance industry, right?

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

silentsnack posted:

the patient wakes up to find they've been euthanized by mistake.

I think that particular scenario would require a more medically advanced cyberpunk dystopia than our current one.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Danny8bit/status/1411483225013198853?s=19

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so brave of the guy at the well to turn the valve off and wait for the pipe to drain

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49255368-the-innovation-delusion

I'm reading this book about how technology sucks (not that technology as a concept sucks but that our specific technology sucks) There were a lot of stories that I first heard in this thread.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
You could unironically fill a book on many topics just by copy and pasting effortposts. Sell it to redditors for millions.

(All my posts are trademarked, don't even try)

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

tokin opposition posted:

You could unironically fill a book on many topics just by copy and pasting effortposts. Sell it to redditors for millions.

I quoted this post so it's my post now and I'm going to put it in my book I'm writing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Isn't that the origin story of My Tank Is Fight!?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
makes sense when you consider that capitalists believe good things are bad and bad things are good

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

galenanorth posted:

In the 1800s, when mining businesses would go under, they'd just leave their room-and-pillar mines intact because gently caress everybody else, they're bankrupt, and then some years later, a Denny's collapses into a sinkhole. Someday there's going to be an oil spill bigger than Deepwater Horizons, and unlike BP being around to pay damages, the company's just going to go under, and because Democrats decided not to do anything in 2010 or anything since, there'd be nothing stopping that. As long as oil is around as an energy source, the companies should be paying sufficient cleanup insurance, but they're not

There are 3,000 abandoned oil wells in Alberta and it would cost at least $40 billion to clean them up.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcaqPkc3E9g&t=287s

Syncopated has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Jul 5, 2021

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
fucks sake, how do you embed a youtube video with a timestamp? It's 4:47 in the above one.

Syncopated has issued a correction as of 13:26 on Jul 4, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

tokin opposition posted:

I firmly believe that if there was someway to monetize all the content that came out of the forums and made its way into mainstream (hell there’s a Slenderman movie) then Lowtax could have bought a lifetime supply of Goldbelly cookies with his pocket change

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Syncopated posted:

fucks sake, how do you embed a youtube video with a timestamp? It's 4:47 in the above one.

start="287s" in the video tag

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syncopated posted:

only noobs use the lovely embedding

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Nastier Nate posted:

I firmly believe that if there was someway to monetize all the content that came out of the forums and made its way into mainstream (hell there’s a Slenderman movie) then Lowtax could have bought a lifetime supply of Goldbelly cookies with his pocket change

And enough insulin to keep him alive for nearly 2 of those years!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/levie/status/1411817734636138496?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t whitewash him with “tech founder”.

He stole a site to perv on his classmates.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1411982238263164928

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Futurama was a lot more fun when it was 1000 years away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Milo and POTUS posted:

Futurama was a lot more fun when it was 1000 years away

Soylent is essentially "bachelor chow"