Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

smarxist posted:

JFK is always gonna pop up

I read "Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties" and when Otto Skorzeny entered the narriative I had to step away from the book. I had to step away again when Jolly West and JFK were brought up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

bedpan posted:

I read "Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties" and when Otto Skorzeny entered the narriative I had to step away from the book. I had to step away again when Jolly West and JFK were brought up later.

Yeah, I've yet to finish the book because of that.

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
I know the Gladio thing is a joke for thread regulars, but it might be interesting to talk about why Gladio has become the meme it has. It was definitely one of the early things I read about that both showed a conspiracy being perpetrated and the context in which it would have made sense at the time to the people who orchestrated it. The idea of people being left in Europe to prepare for future attacks against the "communist threat" is both exactly what a modern American might expect given the cultural narrative of anti-communism, while simultaneously signaling this darker eye to the future that seems to know exactly what is coming and how to control it, part of which is being deceptive about the communist threat in both it's nature and scope.

Was Gladio anyone else's crack ping moment and if so, why? Or what was your crack ping moment?

Epstein's suicide was it for me!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

inconsequential posted:

I know the Gladio thing is a joke for thread regulars, but it might be interesting to talk about why Gladio has become the meme it has. It was definitely one of the early things I read about that both showed a conspiracy being perpetrated and the context in which it would have made sense at the time to the people who orchestrated it. The idea of people being left in Europe to prepare for future attacks against the "communist threat" is both exactly what a modern American might expect given the cultural narrative of anti-communism, while simultaneously signaling this darker eye to the future that seems to know exactly what is coming and how to control it, part of which is being deceptive about the communist threat in both it's nature and scope.

Was Gladio anyone else's crack ping moment and if so, why? Or what was your crack ping moment?

I can't remember a specific crack ping moment, just gradual revelation of stuff over my entire life.

My cynicism jumped up when I participated in the anti-Iraq War protests and nothing changed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I can't remember a specific crack ping moment, just gradual revelation of stuff over my entire life.

My cynicism jumped up when I participated in the anti-Iraq War protests and nothing changed.

I was a real shithead in college and I remember making fun of my school mates who all came back from an Iraq War protest with a new t-shirt they bought to show they went.

turns out i wasn't far off

nut
Jul 30, 2019

i read chaos and then posted here and my stupid life has never been the same

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

realizing that the mass incarceration system wasn't broken but was functioning exactly as designed. it took me way longer than it should have

Edit: mass incarceration system

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Somehow as an 11 year old I just kinda assumed the government lied all the time and were probably somehow at fault for 9/11. Then proceeded to laugh at all the “losers” protesting a war for the duration of my teen years because to me it was obvious the government would never give up on the war they worked so hard to get.

e:I didn’t even know 9/11 truthers were a thing until I got to college. My default assumption as a child with parents who watched broadcast/local news only was that the government was lying about 9/11.

Sextro has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Jul 3, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I was crack pinged in high school by finding out how the US supported the Khmer Rouge just to get Vietnamese killed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I stopped taking my meds and got really into Bifo for about a month. then, the IPCC released the Special Report on Climate Change and Land, and then both David Berman and Jeffrey Epstein took their own lives within days of each other.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
for me it was Snowden and then the Panama Papers.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

rotten library articles back in the day on thread favorites like INSLAW, etc.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I think there’s a difference between the development of political consciousness and identity, radicalization, and crack-pinging, which suggests some kind of sudden cognitive dissonance in processing the world, like, a sudden moment of clarity that feels like you’re losing your drat mind and that having these thoughts and knowing this knowledge is almost too much to bear.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i read chaos when it came out and then epstein was suicided a month later so i lost my mind all at once

it’s really hosed up to learn all of that at once and then you just kind of have to keep living your life because no one else cares

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

inconsequential posted:

The Vatican Bank scandal and Propaganda Due's ties to Gladio did it for me; since I'd heard lots of nutty tradcath conspiracies about how Masons are secretly making the Church gay, the news that there actually was a Masonic conspiracy inside the Church for the purpose of laundering the Mafia's heroin money for right wing death squads was too much

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

I stopped taking my meds and got really into Bifo for about a month. then, the IPCC released the Special Report on Climate Change and Land, and then both David Berman and Jeffrey Epstein took their own lives within days of each other.

what is that like bofa?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

I think there’s a difference between the development of political consciousness and identity, radicalization, and crack-pinging, which suggests some kind of sudden cognitive dissonance in processing the world, like, a sudden moment of clarity that feels like you’re losing your drat mind and that having these thoughts and knowing this knowledge is almost too much to bear.

Oh yeah, the problem with coming up with a definitive crack ping is that you'll be crack pinged multiple times over the course of a lifetime. For me the biggest and most maddening crack ping moment was watching liberals push for the intervention in Libya, like the last 10 years of US foreign policy didn't happen.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
that's my secret cap

im always crack pinging

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I read Killing Hope back in the LF days and it's only been downhill since.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was crack pinged in high school by finding out how the US supported the Khmer Rouge just to get Vietnamese killed.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Oh yeah, the problem with coming up with a definitive crack ping is that you'll be crack pinged multiple times over the course of a lifetime. For me the biggest and most maddening crack ping moment was watching liberals push for the intervention in Libya, like the last 10 years of US foreign policy didn't happen.

my latest crack-ping was learning about how the CPC decided to invade Vietnam in the 70s (and maintain a border war well into the 80s) at least partly to get the Vietnamese out of Cambodia, and that Deng was willing to forge an amiable relationship with the US to do it.

well, it wasn't really this bit of history that was the crack-ping, since there's a rational reason for why China's foreign policy ended up the way it was, but rather, the fact that this never comes up among anyone who tries to criticize China from the left.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bedpan posted:

love that book, O'Neill really captures the helpless feeling of the crack-ping in the last couple chapters when he's obviously at a loss to explain what he's learned.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

my latest crack-ping was learning about how the CPC decided to invade Vietnam in the 70s (and maintain a border war well into the 80s) at least partly to get the Vietnamese out of Cambodia, and that Deng was willing to forge an amiable relationship with the US to do it.

well, it wasn't really this bit of history that was the crack-ping, since there's a rational reason for why China's foreign policy ended up the way it was, but rather, the fact that this never comes up among anyone who tries to criticize China from the left.

It actually comes up all the loving time. Anti-CCP leftists won't shut the gently caress up about it. Maybe it's because you're Filipino and it doesn't pass around your circles but it's always getting invoked in the American left.

It's especially funny when they invoke the border war as proof of 1000 years of Chinese oppression of Vietnam, when the Vietnamese aren't particularly bothered by it because they could declare victory as much as China did.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It actually comes up all the loving time. Anti-CCP leftists won't shut the gently caress up about it. Maybe it's because you're Filipino and it doesn't pass around your circles but it's always getting invoked in the American left.

It's especially funny when they invoke the border war as proof of 1000 years of Chinese oppression of Vietnam, when the Vietnamese aren't particularly bothered by it because they could declare victory as much as China did.

Vietnamese are used to it.

Despite how brutal the french regime was, they still prefer to use a modified latin alphabet over the chinese hanzi.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

my crack ping was iraq 2
any idiot could see the lies and nothing was ever going to stop it

just a fullscale procession of open lies leading to all sorts of fun things that we now take for granted

'coalition of the willing' lol it was uttered with such seriousness

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

reading Rogue State as a high schooler really set a few hairline fractures in motion

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I've never heard of this either, which is weird because with as much as alt-righters and conservatives are preoccupied with black on white crime, they never talk about the Zebra killers.

or the DC sniper for that matter

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DEATH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
My first big crack ping was Epstein (and reading this thread basically). Then reading CHAOS totally broke my brain

However my most recent crack ping was realising that, after the British deep state orchestrated the Troubles to successfully snuff out any hint of a communist insurrection in the North of Ireland, they kept the game going even after that because some right-wing nutcases in the Tory party and various sympathisers throughout the army and intelligence services were terrified of Harold Wilson's Labour government ushering in an era of communism on the mainland:

https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Clockwork_Orange

Also lmao at this:

https://www.cambridgeclarion.org/press_cuttings/gladio_obs_7jun1992.html posted:

The extreme secrecy, and lack of supervision of the Gladio networks by elected governments meant that time and again they were to fall victim to right-wing extremists inside and outside the Western security services, who set their own political agendas and acted on them. The way down that slippery slope was typified by the attitude of James Jesus Angleton, the CIA's chief of counter-intelligence. According to his biographer Tom Mangold, Angleton was convinced that Harold Wilson and Willy Brandt were Moscow agents.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1410966245894148097?s=20

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Sleekly posted:

my crack ping was iraq 2
any idiot could see the lies and nothing was ever going to stop it

just a fullscale procession of open lies leading to all sorts of fun things that we now take for granted

'coalition of the willing' lol it was uttered with such seriousness

I think a close look at pretty much everything related to the War on Terror and Libya/Syria makes this thread somewhat less surprising. The wars all turned out to be sadistic, brazen criminal rackets that leveled societies and deployed mass torture and state terror to funnel public money into private hands. Also the American public support (over 60%) and subsequent flip-flop across the political spectrum on the Iraq war remains one of the more surreal moments in politics during my lifetime.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

nut posted:

i read chaos and then posted here and my stupid life has never been the same

Post the master reading list for all the new people

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Also my crack ping was comming of age durring the lead up to Iraq 2 where i could tell everything was a lie and reading about mkultra on weird rear end sites.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol at gladio "falling victim to right-wing extremists"

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Nothus posted:

Lol at gladio "falling victim to right-wing extremists"

I read that quote as suggesting that Western govts fell victim to right wing extremists because of Gladio, not that Operation Gladio itself fell victim to right wing extremists. It was right wing extremists all the way down

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Suplex Liberace posted:

Please.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I've yet to finish the book because of that.

the end of the book is a banger for him stumbling onto another murder

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
lol that gladio is a thread joke and not like an actual domestic policy

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

also re: chaos the audio book of it is really great too. the narrator captures the feeling of like falling into an endless pit. I throw it on sometimes when I’m out of podcasts.

like another said, there is something almost otherworldly about it that it captures. like the whole thing might coalesce into something scandalous but knowable if just the next smoking gun is unearthed but it just never fits together. like smoke from some other dimensional fire that can only be seen by the ashes it leaves but burns invisibly underneath all of history and politics

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Suplex Liberace posted:

lemme find it and maybe revise a bit, we've come so far. Accordingly, post any books u think are must-haves that you don't recall seeing in the thread before (if you aren't sure, just post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AnnaMeiler/status/1411255391774728192