Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Methanar posted:

Which book explains to me the Spanish conquest of Poland

How many polish catholics have been set on fire? How many Caribbean catholics have had red paint thrown on them?

Acts of property damage have been done against a large centralized organization. Not people. Not even a faith. An institution.

And to you that property damage is more important then any amount of indigenous lives that have been lost. So go the gently caress back to d&d where it's OK to argue that property is more valuable then human life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Methanar posted:

Which book explains to me the Spanish conquest of Poland

Clearly being obtuse to whitewash the history of your religion loving large swaths of the earth is not as cute as you think it is fuckhead.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

being anti-unfettered sex and abortions is even more damaging than being anti-gay honestly

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Demon_Corsair posted:

How many polish catholics have been set on fire? How many Caribbean catholics have had red paint thrown on them?

A polish church has been vandalized in Edmonton.

At this rate of 10 churches, of varying non-catholic denominations included, being attacked a day with seemingly popular public support it probably won't take long?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Methanar posted:

A polish church has been vandalized in Edmonton.

At this rate of 10 churches, of varying non-catholic denominations, being attacked a day with seemingly popular public support it probably won't take long?

Do you think a church is a person?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Demon_Corsair posted:

Do you think a church is a person?

It's a community of people.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Methanar posted:

THE CHURCH IS MADE OF PEOPLE

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

redbrouw posted:

theres always people in the church 'wink'

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

redbrouw posted:

FLESH CHURCH

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
methanar is the poster who constantly posts threads where he owns himself by crashing his car or refusing to get help for mental health problems or eating food court meals, I honestly think he has a humiliation fetish because no one could be this stupid and keep a job

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Statistically, some high ranking officials of the SS were gay, so really, the Nuremberg trials were homophobic

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Methanar posted:

So how many people in the community were killed when the building they make up burned down?

Or is this a really obtuse Polish joke? Because I think jokes making fun of the polish went out of fashion in the 90s.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Demon_Corsair posted:

So how many people in the community were killed when the building they make up burned down?

0 so far.

Go talk to some people who lost their homes in the fort mac fires, or the BC wild fires. They're alive; but I bet they sure wish they didn't lose all their stuff!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

methanar is the poster who constantly posts threads where he owns himself by crashing his car or refusing to get help for mental health problems or eating food court meals, I honestly think he has a humiliation fetish because no one could be this stupid and keep a job

the games mods wouldn't let me pre-emptively have him threadbanned when a new Riot game needed a thread but at least he never turned that one into his depressing incel blog like he did the LoL thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
good grief.

i know everyone's just looking to lob some bon mots but you can't ignore the fact that historically attacks on places of worship have been intended to intimidate the people who worship there. the reason people are drawing parallels, disingenuous or otherwise, with attacks against other religious groups is because it's a very obvious kind of connection to make. the primary difference here being that catholics in canada are not by any stretch of the imagination oppressed

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Jul 3, 2021

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I know this is ostensibly a comedy site but I admit I haven't laughed as hard as I have tonight in this thread in a while. Thank you for being so insecure about your conversion that you'll die on a city of hills because it's the only thing that keeps you from making GBS threads up LoL threads and burning your arm on soup.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Methanar posted:

0 so far.

Go talk to some people who lost their homes in the fort mac fires, or the BC wild fires. They're alive; but I bet they sure wish they didn't lose all their stuff!

So churches aren't made up of people? They are just buildings where people gather and can be replaced with insurance money?

Do you understand that buildings are replaceable and people aren't? Or do you still think buildings are made of people?

What do wildfires have to do with churches made up of people? Stay on topic.

infernal machines posted:

good grief.

i know everyone's just looking to lob some bon mots but you can't ignore the fact that historically attacks on places of worship have been intended to intimidate the people who worship there. the reason people are drawing parallels, disingenuous or otherwise, with attacks against other religious groups is because it's a very obvious kind of connection to make.

Do any catholics feel threatened by this? Have their been any acts of violence even threatened at people? It's not a pogrom against catholics getting started its pent up rage at the institution of the catholic church for very real wrongs committed. Which is very different from going after a group of people because of their beliefs.

Demon_Corsair has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Jul 3, 2021

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

good grief.

i know everyone's just looking to lob some bon mots but you can't ignore the fact that historically attacks on places of worship have been intended to intimidate the people who worship there. the reason people are drawing parallels, disingenuous or otherwise, with attacks against other religious groups is because it's a very obvious kind of connection to make.

Eh, not the same, other attacks are on the worshippers, these "attacks" are on the institution.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

good grief.

i know everyone's just looking to lob some bon mots but you can't ignore the fact that historically attacks on places of worship have been intended to intimidate the people who worship there. the reason people are drawing parallels, disingenuous or otherwise, with attacks against other religious groups is because it's a very obvious kind of connection to make. the primary difference here being that catholics in acanda are not by any stretch of the imagination oppressed

we just want to make the world a better place :angel:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

honestly i wouldnt be surprised if catholic churches were built out of literal bodies at this point

just like grind up those skellingtons and bake them into bricks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

apatheticman posted:

Eh, not the same, other attacks are on the worshippers, these "attacks" are on the institution.

sure, intent matters, but a burnt church and a burnt synagogue look pretty much the same from the ground

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
they're buildings that are owned by a giant international organization that pays no taxes while collecting enormous amounts of money and covers up its genocides and serial child sexual abuse as if they're inherent church doctrines

it's been a while since I've done a read through of the bible but I'm pretty sure there are a few parts that saying "you don't need a church, practice wherever, so long as you don't do it in a manner that negatively imposes on others"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

good grief.

It's this, it's the disingenuous part. Yeah, historically, etc, but this is not necessarily a situation where a mob, apropos of nothing, has decided that the Catholic church, for example, engages in blood libel or something. This is angry people, reacting angrily to gruesome discoveries of dead kids, and they're blaming a large and influential organization that wields a lot of power. I, like a lot of other people, don't have a lot of energy to be even-keeled about the subject of Catholicism, especially when we're just entertaining our gut feelings of, "Church burned down? Hmm!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

blatman posted:

honestly i wouldnt be surprised if catholic churches were built out of literal bodies at this point

just like grind up those skellingtons and bake them into bricks

like sedlec ossuary

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
it's likely the churches will stop being burnt down once the catholic church makes actual moves to atone and reconcile for their genocide

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lets also not lose sight of the fact that this is a response to a literal genocide finally working its way into the public conciousness. People are getting insanely angry about some buildings being burned, while just gleefully looking past the ever increasing mass grave counter.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

sure, intent matters, but a burnt church and a burnt synagogue look pretty much the same from the ground

The ground is a terrible place to look at things.

Virtual Russian posted:

Lets also not lose sight of the fact that this is a response to a literal genocide finally working its way into the public conciousness. People are getting insanely angry about some buildings being burned, while just gleefully looking past the ever increasing mass grave counter.

Im sure the church is loving the PR and narrative control.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
lmao methanar just PMed me a photo of his tax returns showing he's not just a catholic, but a six and a half figgie shitlord

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

redbrouw posted:

:mitt: Corporations are churches my friend

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

it's likely the churches will stop being burnt down once the catholic church makes actual moves to atone and reconcile for their genocide

here's hoping someone somewhere decides that this one time out of all of their history of such is the time to start making amends

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

lmao methanar just PMed me a photo of his tax returns showing he's not just a catholic, but a six and a half figgie shitlord

wtf

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Do it ironically posted:

eating food court meals

mod edit: weird poo poo

Somebody has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Jul 3, 2021

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Virtual Russian posted:

And like, specifically because the fact that they value buildings and ideas over the real lives of Indigenous children. I personally can't get myself upset about a burnt church, because at the end of the day no matter how much value you assign to it, it's not more important than a real life person. It's not. It never was and never will be.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

i really hope that's a joke, because, drat.

meltdown may ended over a month ago

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

i really hope that's a joke, because, drat.

meltdown may ended over a month ago

it's not lmao

Somebody has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Jul 3, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Here's something that started to worry me when I realized it earlier. There will probably be some kind of reaction from chuds to the church burnings. This is already a glimpse at it: https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/totem-pole-set-alight-on-malahat-likely-retaliation-for-tearing-down-of-cook-statue-rcmp-1.24338153

(edit to add: I just found the link on reddit and don't know if the site is reputable at all)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh burbon street, hes just in a lovely food delirious state.

Edit - where those charitable donations?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Methanar posted:

what

Somebody has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Jul 3, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Virtual Russian posted:

It's this. People can shriek about decorum when a church burns down and suddenly the genocide isn't the real issue anymore.

I'll be concerned when angry mobs start lynching priests or attacking people going to mass. I'm not going to be bothered about property that is covered by insurance.

Personally I think the vandalism in Saskatoon with the red paint of all the hands saying we were children (which the church is debating leaving up) is more powerful then burning churches down, but I get the anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kazinsal posted:

it's not lmao

lol this thread is fun and I’m glad it exists

Somebody has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Jul 3, 2021