Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Pooky posted:

those were the guys that heard "BLM on their way" on the radio and thought it was Black Lives Matter, right?

Nah, the BLM radio guys were the Oregon fires last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't understand these people. If shits going down I'm grabbing the cats and fleeing like a bat literally out of hell.

Then again, my escape isn't going to make it onto Dateline NBC like the morons who decide they're going to stick around and wait until doom is licking at their heels.

I liken it to the mother in The Day After who's upstairs making the bed after the missiles have all launched. Her husband has to drag her, kicking and screaming, down to the basement. Making the beds was what she'd planned on doing at that moment and deviating from that meant her life was no longer hers.

"Maybe it won't happen to me."

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tactical evacuation means you roll from cover to cover, occasionally poking your head up to see if any of the fire has spotted you or your team yet

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blatman posted:

tactical evacuation means you roll from cover to cover, occasionally poking your head up to see if any of the fire has spotted you or your team yet

Link A-roll your way 45 miles over to the next town

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I liken it to the mother in The Day After who's upstairs making the bed after the missiles have all launched. Her husband has to drag her, kicking and screaming, down to the basement. Making the beds was what she'd planned on doing at that moment and deviating from that meant her life was no longer hers.

"Maybe it won't happen to me."

strong pandemic vibes

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

blatman posted:

I hate stealth levels slightly more than jumping puzzles

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Punished Kamloops

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Uhh, poo poo I have family in Kamloops, but I don't know what part of town they live in.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I only evacuate strategically

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Cuba is about to let it go

https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/1410930330672959488?s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This storm is moving west at like 30 mph while also strengthening. That’s not really something that happens with these systems.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Bilirubin posted:

You know what's worse than living through a heat dome? Doing it with a migraine.

Well, I guess losing your entire loving town too, that seems worse.
uuuuuuuugh, good luck :smith:

edit: gently caress me now I've got a migraine too :argh:

Ayin has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Jul 3, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
The weather this year, not so great

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

The weather this year, not so great

i say we give it a chance

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

This storm is moving west at like 30 mph while also strengthening. That’s not really something that happens with these systems.

it is now!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

(not) nice

we're up to about 100k acres of wildfire in BC now thanks to the pyrocumulonimbus insanity. that's about doubled in area in the past 24 hours

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

After a certain point there won't be anything left to catch fire, right?

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

blatman posted:

nah it's when each each evacuee is given a flashlight/seatbelt cutter/bottle opener and a paracord bracelet

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

(not) nice

we're up to about 100k acres of wildfire in BC now thanks to the pyrocumulonimbus insanity. that's about doubled in area in the past 24 hours

let me know when calgary is on fire

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice
It’s so josh darn hot that even the ocean is catching on fire.

https://twitter.com/investmentshulk/status/1411061018709610498?s=21

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's happening... It's hurricane season. Seems a bit early but whatever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lacrosse posted:

Just the amazon

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
So if a hurricane rips through the hellmouth, do we get a giant flaming cyclone barreling across the Gulf of Mexico headed for New Orleans?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kazinsal posted:

So if a hurricane rips through the hellmouth, do we get a giant flaming cyclone barreling across the Gulf of Mexico headed for New Orleans?
I'm pretty sure if that happens we call the Doom Slayer

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
well the F name is right there waiting on it, let’s go!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

How badly will this hit the Miami area?
I'm thinking of the rescue/recovery work at that collapsed apartment block.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its in the cone but too early to say

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lacrosse posted:

that's when the fires will stop and not a moment sooner

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helith posted:

If it passes over Cuba as forecasted it will be weakened by the mountains and unlikely to be a major hurricane

If it gets a little further west into open gulf waters... watch out FL panhandle

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Helith posted:

If those predictions hold true, it hits Cuba and south Florida as category 1 hurricane or tropical storm. Mostly minor damage from downed tree limbs, local power outages from lines being damaged, some storm surge, and minor local flooding. Basically a bad thunderstorm, nothing catastrophic.

The corpses pulled from the rubble will be just as dead as they were before any hurricane.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
maybe the hurricane will blow the other part over so they don't have to awkwardly explain why they have to do that intentionally anyway

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Elsa is passing to the south of Puerto Rico right now. Getting some strong bands or rain and wind, but fortunately we're not in the danger zone.

but with high surf warnings this drat hurricane is fixin' to mess up my beach day...

gotta get the gently caress outta the Caribbean before the next storm decides to do a Dorian or María on us

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Koirhor posted:

let me know when calgary is on fire

From last night
https://twitter.com/jody_macpherson/status/1411107292934590464

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jetz0r posted:

If those predictions hold true, it hits Cuba and south Florida as category 1 hurricane or tropical storm. Mostly minor damage from downed tree limbs, local power outages from lines being damaged, some storm surge, and minor local flooding. Basically a bad thunderstorm, nothing catastrophic.

The corpses pulled from the rubble will be just as dead as they were before any hurricane.

Yeah but they'll be all soggy and gross

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1411184230307176455
https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1411179868218396672
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1411268982636691462

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

That van driver had to make a split second decision to back up to go for it

Don’t think it worked out well :(

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I thought this thread might enjoy a description of experiencing a hurricane at sea.

The American Practical Navigator posted:

On the horizon appears a dark wall of heavy cumulonimbus, called the bar of the storm. This is the heavy bank of clouds comprising the main mass of the cyclone. Portions of this heavy cloud become detached from time to time, and drift across the sky, accompanied by rain squalls and wind of increasing speed. Between squalls, the cirrostratus can be seen through breaks in the stratocumulus.

As the bar approaches, the barometer falls more rapidly and wind speed increases. The seas, which have been gradually mounting, become tempestuous. Squall lines, one after the other, sweep past in ever increasing number and intensity.

With the arrival of the bar, the day becomes very dark, squalls become virtually continuous, and the barometer falls precipitously, with a rapid increase in wind speed. The center may still be 100 to 200 miles away in a fully developed tropical cyclone. As the center of the storm comes closer, the ever-stronger wind shrieks through the rigging and about the superstructure of the vessel. As the center approaches, rain falls in torrents. The wind fury increases. The seas become mountainous. The tops of huge waves are blown off to mingle with the rain and fill the air with water. Visibility is virtually zero in blinding rain and spray. Even the largest and most seaworthy vessels become virtually unmanageable and may sustain heavy damage. Less sturdy vessels may not survive. Navigation virtually stops as safety of the vessel becomes the only consideration. The awesome fury of this condition can only be experienced. Words are inadequate to describe it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Why are you bolding something that adds absolutely no meaning?

The description is poor at best, and the added formatting is... why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
hope the guy in that van is ok :ohdear: