Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Any of the Ł100 million previously funded by the EU, or going to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've heard it on good advice that any loss of EU funding is going to be matched by equivalent government expenditure directly to Tory donors and think tanks.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

So, I see Neil Cole has been drinking again, and has joined the OJ dog pile with demonstrably false statements.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I wish Jones was half as radical and anti-Labour as these freaks pretend to think.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/athletics-namibia-contenders-withdrawn-olympic-400m-race-2021-07-02/

quote:

The Namibian teenagers have been in blistering form at various race meetings in Europe, and were considered among the medal contenders, but tests conducted at their training camp in Italy led to the withdrawal.

"The results from the testing centre indicated that both athletes have a naturally high testosterone level," the national Olympic committee said in a statement.

"According to the rule of World Athletics, this means that they are not eligible to participate in events from 400m to 1600m."

The two will, however, still take part in the 100m and 200m races in Tokyo.

The same rules have prevented South African Caster Semenya, Francine Niyonsaba from Burundi and Kenya's Margaret Wambui from competing in the 800m race after refusing to lower their testosterone levels with medication.

So, not allowed to compete in certain races despite having naturally high testosterone levels unless they agree to take medication to lower them. Hm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely the olympics would never change the rules just because they don't like the people winning the tournaments, surely.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Surely the olympics would never change the rules just because they don't like the people winning the tournaments, surely.

If your testo levels are acceptable then the weed levels will be the problem.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fun fact: Target shooting at the Olympics became gender segregated specifically because one woman got too good at it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

fuctifino posted:

I'm just going by the twitter chatter. It seems like an open secret about the spad.

You are correct!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Fun fact: Target shooting at the Olympics became gender segregated specifically because one woman got too good at it.
Zhang Shan did it for Olympic skeet shooting in the 90s, but I'm certain that it's happened a number of times going back to at least the 30s with women who entered country club shoots before they suddenly decided that it wasn't ladylike to embarrass all the failsons at the one thing they get to enjoy.

I'm less sure what would have happened if the Namibian 400m athletes had been white Westerners. Probably a Michael Phelps miracle of genetics rather than the racist terf pool with ideological roots that date back two centuries but which somehow keeps coming up increasingly often now.

(e: Less sure only because they're still terfs and it's still women's sports, so there's still wide latitude for them to be terrible regardless of ethnicity or nationality, but there's definitely a strong bias there.)

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 3, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Zhang Shan did it for Olympic skeet shooting in the 90s, but I'm certain that it's happened a number of times going back to at least the 30s with women who entered country club shoots before they suddenly decided that it wasn't ladylike to embarrass all the failsons at the one thing they get to enjoy.

I'm less sure what would have happened if the Namibian 400m athletes had been white Westerners. Probably a Michael Phelps miracle of genetics rather than the racist terf pool with ideological roots that date back two centuries but which somehow keeps coming up increasingly often now.

(e: Less sure only because they're still terfs and it's still women's sports, so there's still wide latitude for them to be terrible regardless of ethnicity or nationality, but there's definitely a strong bias there.)

Where was that TERF thing about women over 5ft 5" not being allowed in the ladies' bogs because if you're taller than that, then obviously you're not really a woman.
I was telling my boss who is just over 5ft 10 - a smidgeon taller than me - and she couldn't believe it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like a Mumsnet thing.

I'm sure that my mam would have strong opinions on that, being well over 5'6" when she was younger (and relevant to the other topic being a better clay shot than most posh men despite* growing up far away from the country estates on the council type of estate).

*Or maybe because, no idea what they were up to there with shotguns in the 60s :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure that my mam would have strong opinions on that, being well over 5'6" when she was younger (and relevant to the other topic being a better clay shot than most posh men despite* growing up far away from the country estates on the council type of estate).

*Or maybe because, no idea what they were up to there with shotguns in the 60s :v:

Me and every other kid who grew up around here in the 70s and 80s are a crack shot with not just (air) rifles and pistols but also catapults and even well-aimed stones because of the ridiculous rat infestations that descended on the council estates of the east end when they closed the docks.

I'm a pretty good shot with a shotgun too, even though I kept forgetting that I got a second shot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile, back in 'making the labour party a safe place for Jews so long as they are not left wing Jews' land:

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/co-founder-of-jvl-ousted-from-local-labour-partys-executive-committee/

(Lee Harpin piece)

quote:

The co-founder of Jewish Voice For Labour has been ousted from her position on the executive committee of Chingford and Woodford Green constituency Labour Party (CLP) as part of a major shake-up of official posts.

Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi had previously been vice-chair of the east London CLP – where she had regularly spoken out in support of Jeremy Corbyn and disputed claims of antisemitism in Labour.
But in the latest elections for Chingford and Woodford Green’s new executive committee, Wimbourne-Idrissi and supportive CLP chair Gary Lafley were amongst those to replaced in a co-ordinated move by led by local members.

Several of those elected as understood to be affiliate members of the Jewish Labour Movement.

etc

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

The average Czech woman is over 5'6'', and I imagine e.g. the Germans and the Dutch are even taller.

As 5'8'' guy I've literally been the single shortest guy at school and the 2 workplaces I worked in in the Czech Republic.

I said it before but I appreciate that brits are so short, I can fit right in.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I am 5'3 without shoes and thats the kinda short where you look up to children.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

A bit like Knuckles McGinty’s knife skills.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Not So Fast posted:

The gap between us and China grows ever larger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqmX8zqXIk

Ah yes, the people's republic of China, founded in 1921, high quality journalism from the telegraph as ever

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1411103763432198148

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a43T6xfAjI

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ah yeah, teabags are just too much effort

It rules that there are people who make me look less lazy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4r5ckveXD8

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How does that even work? Does it squirt a tea-like paste to mix with water?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it must be just tea concentrate.

Perhaps tea foam

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

stev posted:

How does that even work? Does it squirt a tea-like paste to mix with water?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Y3B_3zADY

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it must be just tea concentrate.

Perhaps tea foam

Teapuccino

E: Dutch way of making tea:

- Take Lipton or Pickwick brand tea bag
- Touch gently on surface of hot water for 2 seconds
- THROW IT AWAY BEFORE IT IMPARTS TOO MUCH FLAVOUR!

(I'm only exaggerating slightly)

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 3, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That’s quite a fun video.

The environmental impact of that stupid loving can alone is enough to enrage me.

The only possible advantage is speed in that you don’t have to wait wile the tea is steeping, but a bottle of concentrated tea would do that too, and better.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Bobstar posted:

Teapuccino

E: Dutch way of making tea:

- Take Lipton or Pickwick brand tea bag
- Touch gently on surface of hot water for 2 seconds
- THROW IT AWAY BEFORE IT IMPARTS TOO MUCH FLAVOUR!

(I'm only exaggerating slightly)

That's the way to do it! Save the teabag though, you can get 4 mugs out of it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sloth Life posted:

I know it sounds like a joke about tight northerners but a friend of mine from East Yorks literally used to dry out his teabags on a line above the sink and reuse them. He claimed that Yorkshire Tea is made extra strong with that very thing in mind.

e: I did try it myself one time and you can get an adequate cup on second use if you steep it long enough, so maybe he was right.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 3, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sloth Life posted:

And I thought DuckTales was making a joke about Scrooge using the same bag for the whole week.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

Fair play to Keith, he's in a position of overwhelming strength so now is the time to exercise his command and reshape the party to his liking.

The way things are going, I wonder if he realizes a party which no-one wants to vote for is kind of pointless

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently my mother is spraying her dog with colloidal silver.

Really wish I wasn't related to such a loving moron.

Tell her dogs aren't werewolves, so this isn't going to work. She can't defeat her dog with silver

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/athletics-namibia-contenders-withdrawn-olympic-400m-race-2021-07-02/

So, not allowed to compete in certain races despite having naturally high testosterone levels unless they agree to take medication to lower them. Hm.

Have the Levellers taken over the Olympics? What's next, chopping feet off because an athlete is "too high"?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I could see maybe it being useful if you were like hiking or working outdoors in monsoon conditions and needed a supply of tea that couldn't get wet but then... Zip lock bags? It's so niche and pointless. Like most products under capitalism!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lol the tea talk reminds me of England Wicket-Keeper Jack Russell

"Some of his more notable oddities included a diet to supplement his extreme fitness regime, which consisted largely of tea, biscuits, and baked beans. Like his mentor, Alan Knott, a heavy tea drinker, Russell would often get through 20 cups a day. He used to dip the tea bag in once, add plenty of milk, then hang it on a nail ready for subsequent use. In the final Test of the 1989 Ashes series (against Australia) at the Oval, Derek Pringle counted that he used the same bag for all five days, which roughly equates to 100 cups.[15] For lunch, Russell would eat two Weetabix, soaked for exactly fifteen minutes in cold milk. He was one of the first to eat bananas on the field of play at drinks break. For dinner, steak and chips or chicken without skin was a favourite meal – Russell once spent every night of a Test at a Chinese restaurant in Perth, ordering chicken and cashews: without the cashews.[14]"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol the tea talk reminds me of England Wicket-Keeper Jack Russell

"Some of his more notable oddities included a diet to supplement his extreme fitness regime, which consisted largely of tea, biscuits, and baked beans. Like his mentor, Alan Knott, a heavy tea drinker, Russell would often get through 20 cups a day. He used to dip the tea bag in once, add plenty of milk, then hang it on a nail ready for subsequent use. In the final Test of the 1989 Ashes series (against Australia) at the Oval, Derek Pringle counted that he used the same bag for all five days, which roughly equates to 100 cups.[15] For lunch, Russell would eat two Weetabix, soaked for exactly fifteen minutes in cold milk. He was one of the first to eat bananas on the field of play at drinks break. For dinner, steak and chips or chicken without skin was a favourite meal – Russell once spent every night of a Test at a Chinese restaurant in Perth, ordering chicken and cashews: without the cashews.[14]"

What a queer fellow. Good player. If I recall correctly he partnered Atherton when they held off South Africa and a raging Alan Donald in 1997 at the Wanderers. It was frustrating but admirable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Libluini posted:

Tell her dogs aren't werewolves, so this isn't going to work. She can't defeat her dog with silver
Dogs are the opposite of werewolves, wolves that are trying to become small humans :3:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Incredible. The “Matt Hancock groping his squeeze set to the Alan Partridge soundtrack” video has been removed for “sexual content” lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sloth Life posted:

That's how I like my tea - say hello to the bag then out quick before it gets too tea-y. Definitely NOT a fan of 'builders' tea'. (Not really a tea fan at all but sometimes in really hot weather, it's refreshing.) Can't stand 'fruit' teas. I have a box in just for my mum who seems to like them for some bizarre reason.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i like earl grey which is weirdly divisive

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i like earl grey which is weirdly divisive

It's nice but I'd only really have it on a fancy occasion. Day to day I have a bag of Yorkshire in the water for 7-10 minutes which does the job.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

stev posted:

It's nice but I'd only really have it on a fancy occasion. Day to day I have a bag of Yorkshire in the water for 7-10 minutes which does the job.

Earl Grey is nasty. Yorkshire tea steeped for that long gets bitter. I like Dorset tea. Strength without bitterness unless you leave it for like 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The British fascination with tea is actually amazing. It's fine at best. If I want flavoured water I'd flavour it with something that actually tastes good.