Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Malefitz posted:

Made second Pizza of the batch today.
Turned out great, too.

San Marzano tomato, Mozzarella di Bufala, Bluefou, basil, freshly ground black pepper.

I loving love Pizza.

Fresh ground pepper is one of my fav lowkey toppings for a pizza, it's so simple and good.

Our "Ode to Nancy, " our chef's nod to his time working with Nancy Silverton at Pizzeria Mozza in LA. Tomatoes, fresh sliced garlic, olive oil, squash blossoms, finished with a cold dollop of burrata, Maldon sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and more olive oil. So fresh and good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Tried making a batch of kenjis NY style dough and found it to be way too puffy, if still delicious. I'll try the recipe on the ooni site next I think. This would have made great focaccia/garlic bread but was hard to work into good pizza I found

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

ogopogo posted:

Fresh ground pepper is one of my fav lowkey toppings for a pizza, it's so simple and good.

Our "Ode to Nancy, " our chef's nod to his time working with Nancy Silverton at Pizzeria Mozza in LA. Tomatoes, fresh sliced garlic, olive oil, squash blossoms, finished with a cold dollop of burrata, Maldon sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and more olive oil. So fresh and good!

Not sure why I didn't think of adding pepper earlier. I really like the combination of cheese and pepper, it's almost magical.

That Pizza topping looks really interesting, wonder how it tastes. Not sure what exactly "squash blossoms" are to be honest :D

large hands posted:

Tried making a batch of kenjis NY style dough and found it to be way too puffy, if still delicious. I'll try the recipe on the ooni site next I think. This would have made great focaccia/garlic bread but was hard to work into good pizza I found

Looks good to me! Was it very elastic when stretching?
Happens to me usually if I don't remove the dough from the fridge early enough on cold days...

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Malefitz posted:

Not sure what exactly "squash blossoms" are to be honest :D

Flowers from a zucchini plant. A traditional preparation is to fill them with ricotta and fry them in a light batter. They can also go in salads or on pizza, apparently.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Happiness Commando posted:

Flowers from a zucchini plant. A traditional preparation is to fill them with ricotta and fry them in a light batter. They can also go in salads or on pizza, apparently.

Oh this I know and it's awesome!
Only ever eaten it in Italy though, never seen it where I live...well I don't think Zucchinis naturally grow in my country anyway.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Happiness Commando posted:

Or batter and deep fry them like tempura. Was a very popular side in and around Lucca when I went there.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Malefitz posted:

Oh this I know and it's awesome!
Only ever eaten it in Italy though, never seen it where I live...well I don't think Zucchinis naturally grow in my country anyway.

It might not occur naturally, but zuchinni is one of the hardiest and heaviest croppying veg plants there is. A plant in a 1 ft diameter pot can produce enough for a family.

I made 6 pan pizzas then run out of Tom base (and creme fraiche) so blended some sun dried toms, garlic and oil and rolled it up and made a stuffed loaf - came out well!

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Not sure if anyone would be interested, but I'm prepping for a move and sadly must give up 2 of my 12" electric clamshell countertop ovens. (one available now and one in July). The July one also comes w/ a deep dish pan you can swap in.

They're this model or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Wave-Multi-Pizza-Maker/dp/B00HNSUHF0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Not as good as the gas fired ovens obviously, but better than a standard oven IMO since they get up to ~700ish degrees. If your comfortable, you can also mod them (which I think I linked to in my prior posts from this thread).

So if you're in the Philadelphia, PA, USA area and want a free pizza oven, hit me up!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Any opinions on the ooni wood/charcoal oven?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ogopogo posted:

yes

large hands posted:

yes

had a bunch of garlic scapes from the garden so i made a garlic scape and sunflower seed pesto, then baked the pizza on the grill

dough from the fridge was several days old so edging toward sourdough and a bit harder to brown on the grill. but nice bottom for sure.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

KinkyJohn posted:

Any opinions on the ooni wood/charcoal oven?

I've sold my Ooni 2. Far too fiddly to use while cooking. Too hot at the back too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Pizza steel goons: How thick is your pizza steel, and do you notice it warp during use? It can reset itself afterwards.

I'm trying to figure out how thick of a steel I could get away with for a grill-top griddle. The one I use right now likes to bend, and a similar round one I got for my burner will also bend if I use it in a pizza oven for pizzas (it was a science project). So I figure I should be going thicker.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Pizza steel goons: How thick is your pizza steel, and do you notice it warp during use?

The one I used to use is 8mm thick and it never warped noticeably.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Pizza steel goons: How thick is your pizza steel, and do you notice it warp during use? It can reset itself afterwards.

I'm trying to figure out how thick of a steel I could get away with for a grill-top griddle. The one I use right now likes to bend, and a similar round one I got for my burner will also bend if I use it in a pizza oven for pizzas (it was a science project). So I figure I should be going thicker.

3/8" here, and I fear any level of heat that could possibly warp it. I haven't put it on the grill but I use it on the stove top and in the oven or course with never an issue.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Also 3/8in (9.5mm) Baking Steel. No warping observed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same as the two above.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, 3/8” has never warped on wood, gas, or oven. Worst thing that happened was some hotter spots on my range top for pancakes.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Warping is usually the result of rapid heating/cooling, isn't it? I.e. cheap pans warp because you throw them on the stove and crank the heat. Steels are usually being preheated along with the oven or grille so they're getting a decent warmup.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Warping is usually the result of rapid heating/cooling, isn't it? I.e. cheap pans warp because you throw them on the stove and crank the heat. Steels are usually being preheated along with the oven or grille so they're getting a decent warmup.

Rather than the warming, it's the cooling effect of me throwing a pizza or some smashburgers on these that causes them to seize up.

I might ultimately just go for a dedicated griddle, but I kind of want a half-size one and my grill has some goofy dimensions. Hence, I'm still thinking about just getting a thicker hunk of metal to use instead. Apparently mine are just 1/8".

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've been using a recipe out of modernist bread that my brother has and the pizzas are very nice but the dough is really difficult to handle. Searching the thread it looks like people are using about 65%. I'm hand mixing which I imagine doesn't help.

This is the recipe - is this just way too much hydration? 74%?

I had a hilarious double fail last weekend where I had to switch yeast bc the usual stuff wan't available and had very limited rise. I had also decided to follow the MB advice below and use dough relaxer to make it easier to handle. Added a single drop of kiwi juice. The dough was like batter, impossible to hold.

Somehow managed to make it into some pizzas and they were OK. But I need a reset, should I just reduce the hydration in what I'm currently doing or switch to something like the Ooni neapolitan one? I like the taste of the multi day don't mind the multi day process

https://eu.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/neo-neapolitan-pizza-dough

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
74% comes across as too high. I dabble up there for high-hydration, lean bread and I can't imagine forming pizza out of something that wet. I can only suppose it would help for really lovely, heritage grain flour and/or rushing the process to the point that it's not fully hydrating.

I would be really afraid to try to manage a pizza that wet on a peel.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
74% is pretty wet, but still manageable. You may also want to reduce the hydration a touch if it's hot and humid where you are. Not by a lot, but I reduce from 267mL to 260mL when it's humid. So 67% - 65% for the stuff in the air. It works great and makes it manageable in the warmer temps. I shoot for more of a NY style crust though, so you could probably increase a touch if you want a really soft supple dough in a multi day process. It also depends on the flour you use, so change fewer variables if you had a recipe you liked.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I used to do 70% hydration dough when I started out. It was a bit of a pain in the rear end but it worked. People do 80% doughs, too.
The wetter the dough the less you want to use your hands on it and instead use scrapers and such.

I settled with 64% because I just can't stand having much of the dough sticking to my hand after handling it.
I do switch it up by a few percentage points from time to time though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah I will try reducing the hydration down to 65% next time and see how that goes and maybe work back up. As you say Rocko it sticks to the peel sometimes and then its a disaster. I've been using plenty of semolina as ball bearings.

The flour isn't any kind of specialty stuff but I'd think decent quality. Unfortunately the choice is pretty limited.

https://www.coop.ch/en/food/inventories/staples/flour-sugar/flour/naturaplan-organic-white-flour/p/3033271

I have some 75% in the fridge, it's really sticky. This was a fairly well shaped ball a couple of hours ago.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

I have some 75% in the fridge, it's really sticky. This was a fairly well shaped ball a couple of hours ago.

I'll be honest, that doesn't look right to me and I'm not sure if it's just an effect of the high hydration. The surface is very rough on this dough ball. No surface tension visible.
How do you mix and ball your dough?

Maybe it is just due to the high hydration. It has been a while since I made dough like that and I didn't have my technique as refined then.

Going down in hydration and working back up is probably the best idea, the difference in dough handling is huge...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah I agree, not looking right. This was following the recipe I posted before, hand mixed and then bulk fermented 5 hours with a fold per hour.

Next time I'll drop the hydration and see how that works. Then... mixer?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah I agree, not looking right. This was following the recipe I posted before, hand mixed and then bulk fermented 5 hours with a fold per hour.

Next time I'll drop the hydration and see how that works. Then... mixer?

If I read the recipe correctly it says mixing 10-13 minutes on a medium speed. That sounds too much to me.
We had this topic in the thread just a few weeks ago and I think most came to the conclusion that mixing less and having breaks in between mixing to allow for autolysis is better.

For a very wet dough machine mixing is quite difficult anyway so working with autolysis might make the process easier for you.

Just a quick write up of what I do so you don't need to go back and read everything that was posted:
I do a ~1 minute combination mix on low until the dough is combined.
Then a 15 minute covered rest.
Now a ~2 minute mix on second speed.
Afterwards 15 minutes covered rest again.
Then I hand knead very briefly, stretch it a bit as possible (don't rip it) and let it rest another 30 minutes.
Now again stretching and folding and let it rest another hour.
Now cut and ball it up with good surface tension and off into the fridge the dough goes.

Process-wise everything else what I do looks exactly like in the recipe you provided.

As I'm using 62% hydration right now I'm not sure this will work exactly the same on high hydration dough but I get very consistent results with this technique.
I always make sure to give the dough a good surface tension at any time, use a dough scraper to pull the dough into itself if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps, do report back with your results!
Also feel free to post a picture of your Pizza with your current dough even if it doesn't turn out perfect. Every Pizza is beautiful!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I don't have a mixer. Any recommendations?

e: is a spiral mixer actually better? looks like there are some that are roughly the same price as a kitchenaid or kenwood.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/famag-grilletta-im-5-color-5-kg-electric-dough-mixer-grey-model-p-4443.html

e2: I am making a half batch of this basic pizza dough https://eu.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/classic-pizza-dough which is 60% as an A/B test and already it's just so much easier to handle

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 3, 2021

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I don't have a mixer. Any recommendations?

Use every step you can to develop your gluten.

- Use high gluten flower
- Autolyse : https://www.theperfectloaf.com/guides/how-to-autolyse/
-cold ferment for as long as you can

After a certain point a mixer does not matter as ever else makes up for it.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Looks pretty good to me!
Cornicione could be a bit darker. I assume you use a normal kitchen oven?

knox_harrington posted:

e: is a spiral mixer actually better? looks like there are some that are roughly the same price as a kitchenaid or kenwood.

I think the best are fork mixers but afaik they only come in industrial size. I'm not sure though.
I use a planetary spiral mixer, it works okay. I have a relatively cheap Bosch MUM 5 but it gets the job done. When I bought it I didn't know if the hobby would stick so I didn't want to spend 500€+ on a mixer.

If you don't want to buy a mixer now you should get stronger gluten in a wet dough by pulling the dough with a dough scraper over the kitchen table and by stretching and folding, plus the autolysis I described in my other post. But if you try dryer dough anyway it's going to be way easier to just use your hands an knead.
Bear in mind that you still need to give the dough time to rest!

knox_harrington posted:

e2: I am making a half batch of this basic pizza dough https://eu.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/classic-pizza-dough which is 60% as an A/B test and already it's just so much easier to handle

To be honest that looks like an awful lot of (fresh) yeast when you are doing long term cold fermentation in the fridge.
For reference I use less than a 10th of the amount of fresh yeast for my 48h+ fermentation dough.

There is a smartphone app called PizzApp which can calculate the recommended amount of yeast based on the fermentation time. Give it a try some time!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thanks :) I appreciate the advice. Per the note in the ooni recipe on cold fermenting I used half the quantity of yeast. I'm using fresh yeast. It'll get 24 hours in the fridge once divided. I will report back!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Do y'all have any good wheat-free crust recipes? Turns out my daughter is allergic to wheat so we have 50lb of flour to get rid of.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
...and I am going the other way. Anybody here regularly use 100% whole-wheat flour? I was thinking I'd want to boost gluten in the flour by 1%, and it looks like I need to increase hydration anywhere from 5% to 15%.

Tagichatn posted:

Do y'all have any good wheat-free crust recipes? Turns out my daughter is allergic to wheat so we have 50lb of flour to get rid of.

I don't think I have anything but I wanted to double-check if wheat in general is the problem, or if it's specifically gluten.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I mix some whole wheat flour into most of my doughs but after like 20 - 30% whole wheat they definitely start to taste more and more like cardboard and sawdust

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

...and I am going the other way. Anybody here regularly use 100% whole-wheat flour? I was thinking I'd want to boost gluten in the flour by 1%, and it looks like I need to increase hydration anywhere from 5% to 15%.

I don't think I have anything but I wanted to double-check if wheat in general is the problem, or if it's specifically gluten.

100% extraction or like KA WW flour? Regardless too much bran does not work well in pizza temps/times imho. I have also used it as a sub for cornmeal but even then I prefer to use parchment or cornmeal.

If you want more gluten there are higher protein flours that are not necessarily easy to find and there is good old vital wheat gluten you can add.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah, it's definitely wheat. She had an allergic reaction which afaik is not a thing with gluten and a blood test to confirm.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Did an A/B test of the 75% hydration vs the 60%. The 60 was much easier to knead but ultimately a lot less nice to eat than the 75

75% on the left, 60% on the right. Both are 250g lumps. The 60% dough expanded a load more here but ultimately made the same size pizzas.

60% with capers and anchovies

75% with capers and anchovies.

I got a tip for shaping the dough off an Ooni video and it made handling the high hydration dough a load easier. Both pizzas were nice but the crust on the 60% was quite a bit heavier. The 75% also tasted lots better which I guess is from the poolish and 48 hour fermentation.

I'm not quite sure where that leaves me! If I can just get better at handling the dough I'll probably stick with the high hydration. Maybe I should try a 70% as a compromise.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah, it's definitely wheat. She had an allergic reaction which afaik is not a thing with gluten and a blood test to confirm.

That's a bummer. We have a bunch of celiacs in my family though, and this recipe works okay. It's never going to be big and pillowy, but that's what happens without wheat and gluten. I'd guess using vital wheat gluten is also not going to work with it still being wheat based. Here's the basic recipe we start with.

quote:

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

2 1/4 cups gluten free flour (1 1/8 cups brown rice flour + 1 1/8 cups oat flour)*
1 envelope dry yeast (2 tsp instant yeast)
2 teas xantham gum
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl honey
1 cup warm water

They do need to bake for about 10 minutes.

I like to add lots of things. Herbs, spices, cheeses all make it a little be better. The flavor of the yeast is there, and I'd leave it to rest for a couple hours on the counter. The texture is thin crust/flatbread, but it's not bad. Just like regular pizza dough, the longer you can leave the mix to hydrate, the better it will work. Good luck on learning about all the foods again, it's a trip and can be fun when you realize that a lot of other cuisines are ripe with wheat free foods and tons of flavor.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Jhet posted:

That's a bummer. We have a bunch of celiacs in my family though, and this recipe works okay. It's never going to be big and pillowy, but that's what happens without wheat and gluten. I'd guess using vital wheat gluten is also not going to work with it still being wheat based. Here's the basic recipe we start with.

I like to add lots of things. Herbs, spices, cheeses all make it a little be better. The flavor of the yeast is there, and I'd leave it to rest for a couple hours on the counter. The texture is thin crust/flatbread, but it's not bad. Just like regular pizza dough, the longer you can leave the mix to hydrate, the better it will work. Good luck on learning about all the foods again, it's a trip and can be fun when you realize that a lot of other cuisines are ripe with wheat free foods and tons of flavor.

Cool, thanks! I'll give it a shot. Losing out on the fluffiness sucks but better than giving up pizza altogether especially since we just got a pizza steel and several peels.

My sister in law has celiac too but my brother is keto so they don't have a lot of gluten free replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

100% extraction or like KA WW flour? Regardless too much bran does not work well in pizza temps/times imho. I have also used it as a sub for cornmeal but even then I prefer to use parchment or cornmeal.

If you want more gluten there are higher protein flours that are not necessarily easy to find and there is good old vital wheat gluten you can add.

I was talking about for the dough. I have some wheat gluten since I usually have to boost these hipster flours I use for other stuff. So I usually wind up adding enough to all-purpose flour to increase the flour's gluten by 1%. With a cold ferment, I get pretty similar performance to an Italian type 00. In this case, I wasn't going to use them but actually was going to use KA WW like you concidentally brought up. I've done some more reading and one of the gripes about 100% whole wheat was the bran cuts into the gluten strands and makes it harder to get a good texture. So I think I'll try it at a third for now.

Tagichatn posted:

I tripped across some talk about this while looking up whole wheat stuff. From what I can gather, spelt is your first fallback. It depends on what specifically her allergy is. There's gluten in spelt and some overlapping stuff with wheat, but it works with some people. You could get a pizza out of spelt that handles and performs pretty similar to regular wheat. If that's no good, then you have to start falling back into the bizarroworld of rice-soy-barley-oat-whatever + moon emulsifiers. It's kind of like finding a veggie burger you like.

Edit: Also this:

PokeJoe posted:

I mix some whole wheat flour into most of my doughs but after like 20 - 30% whole wheat they definitely start to taste more and more like cardboard and sawdust

Ack! I wish you hadn't posted that because I probably would have been fine and now I'm going to be tasting that.