Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shogi posted:

‘Otherwise bullying/harassment. Lord of the Rings’ might be the best Twitter line ever written. Laconic wit for the terminally dogbrained

I'm pretty sure she meant lord of the flies as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not the only total psycho head teacher in the news today

https://twitter.com/commaficionado/status/1411256002549325826?s=20

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Happiness is mandatory, pupil

e: learning to respond to whistles to prepare them for later life - so that’s athlete or border collie as your career choices?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Turns out Thomas gradgrind was the hero of the book. Who knew

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Me: [chanting] fact, fact, fact
Teacher: [pounding whistle] FACT, FACT, FACT

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jose posted:

not the only total psycho head teacher in the news today

https://twitter.com/commaficionado/status/1411256002549325826?s=20

lol American students would have the classrooms set on fire by third period if any non-millionaire school tried this poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol American students would have the classrooms set on fire by third period if any non-millionaire school tried this poo poo

this is so insane its made it into the daily mail as an example of "look how insane this is"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hard Times owns.

Gradgrind posted:

'Now, what I want is, Facts.  Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts.  Facts alone are wanted in life.  Plant nothing else, and root out everything else.  You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them.  This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children.  Stick to Facts, sir!’

The scene was a plain, bare, monotonous vault of a school-room, and the speaker’s square forefinger emphasized his observations by underscoring every sentence with a line on the schoolmaster’s sleeve.  The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s square wall of a forehead, which had his eyebrows for its base, while his eyes found commodious cellarage in two dark caves, overshadowed by the wall.  The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s mouth, which was wide, thin, and hard set. 

The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s voice, which was inflexible, dry, and dictatorial.  The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s hair, which bristled on the skirts of his bald head, a plantation of firs to keep the wind from its shining surface, all covered with knobs, like the crust of a plum pie, as if the head had scarcely warehouse-room for the hard facts stored inside. 

The speaker’s obstinate carriage, square coat, square legs, square shoulders,—nay, his very neckcloth, trained to take him by the throat with an unaccommodating grasp, like a stubborn fact, as it was,—all helped the emphasis.
'In this life, we want nothing but Facts, sir; nothing but Facts!’
The speaker, and the schoolmaster, and the third grown person present, all backed a little, and swept with their eyes the inclined plane of little vessels then and there arranged in order, ready to have imperial gallons of facts poured into them until they were full to the brim.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

multijoe posted:

I'm pretty sure she meant lord of the flies as well

she definitely did, which is very, very funny. that book is a savage critique of the empire, the british upper lip and the utter brutality of both boarding schools and colonialism. so she's saying "if we didn't have (things that are critiqued in Lord of the Flies) we'd have Lord of the Flies!"

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

There was a real-life Lord of the Flies situation when 6 schoolboys were stranded on an uninhabited island in the Pacific.

They were found fit and healthy after 15 months. Pretty much the first thing they did was set up a buddy system so nobody was ever alone, then established rotas for keeping a signal fire lit 24/7, food gathering and a whole bunch of other duties that were shared equally. They established a communal garden and built coops for chickens that had been living on the island since the previous inhabitants abandoned it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/09/the-real-lord-of-the-flies-what-happened-when-six-boys-were-shipwrecked-for-15-months

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really need to stop reading about those kind of teachers

Entire new hells are created solely for them, and devils spend centuries plotting tortures and humiliations for them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve never rooted for Ukraine before.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Shogi posted:

Happiness is mandatory, pupil

e: learning to respond to whistles to prepare them for later life - so that’s athlete or border collie as your career choices?

I'm thinking steam whistle in a sweat shop. They want to turn the population into easily bullied drones. Even 20 years ago I heard urban legends about teens sitting in exam rooms attempting suicide by putting two sharpened pencils in their nose and then ramming their head into the desk.

I often thought I went to a bad school. A catholic preist with no teacher qualifications was the headmaster and it showed. A lot of the teachers resented the fact that corporal punishment had been outlawed but it didn't stop them trying to get away with it. I can't imagine what kids today are going through.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Minicurve went to a engineering free school and it was full of enthusiastic teachers who had been given lots of money by Gove and big cooperations because they felt if they gave poor kids a chance to do cool robot building projects and the Duke of Edinburgh awards like the posh Eton kids do then they would get good results.

Oddly enough it turns out if you fund a school properly then that poo poo works. I don’t know why they are not doing this with all schools either.

She got 9s and GCSE level qualifications the local college will treat as A levels and is restarting her A level year there because the rona was going to drag her grades down too much.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

the sex ghost posted:

Lord of the rings lmao and for a headteacher to say it :discourse:

https://twitter.com/Miss_Snuffy/status/1411215507437522946?s=20

Miss Snuffy

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

euphronius posted:

I’ve never rooted for Ukraine before.

I'm reluctantly supporting England. They've a good team and played reasonably well throughout, although I continue to despise their fans.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I like when the camera zooms in on the crowd. Ukrainian fans are all ridiculously attractive young men and women, then when it zooms in on the England fans it's all gammon-faced potbellied boomers who look like they might suffer a stroke during the next goal.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

it's coming home

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jon Irenicus posted:

it's coming home

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

There was a real-life Lord of the Flies situation when 6 schoolboys were stranded on an uninhabited island in the Pacific.

They were found fit and healthy after 15 months. Pretty much the first thing they did was set up a buddy system so nobody was ever alone, then established rotas for keeping a signal fire lit 24/7, food gathering and a whole bunch of other duties that were shared equally. They established a communal garden and built coops for chickens that had been living on the island since the previous inhabitants abandoned it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/09/the-real-lord-of-the-flies-what-happened-when-six-boys-were-shipwrecked-for-15-months

Lord of the Flies was written as a response to a subgenre of boys' adventure literature where British schoolboys would be stranded on an island and survive through stiff upper lip and daring British do. Polynesian kids aren't British schoolboys, and it's a lot easier for 6 kids to get along than an entire class. A major element in Lord of the Flies is that there's enough kids on the island to have politics - with all the paranoia and prejudice that comes with it. And nobody is going to have politics as savage as the products of imperial education.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

e: misread

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I like when the camera zooms in on the crowd. Ukrainian fans are all ridiculously attractive young men and women, then when it zooms in on the England fans it's all gammon-faced potbellied boomers who look like they might suffer a stroke during the next goal.

It's what's on the inside that counts, and they're equally fascist.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1410183979203018752

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Lord of the Flies was written as a response to a subgenre of boys' adventure literature where British schoolboys would be stranded on an island and survive through stiff upper lip and daring British do. Polynesian kids aren't British schoolboys, and it's a lot easier for 6 kids to get along than an entire class. A major element in Lord of the Flies is that there's enough kids on the island to have politics - with all the paranoia and prejudice that comes with it. And nobody is going to have politics as savage as the products of imperial education.

nice bedtime story but the closest historical example doesn’t point that way and the boys spoke English so they’re basically British, as is everyone who speaks that language.

e: the fellas who ate each other in the Andes were civil to one another too, IIRC

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

nice bedtime story but the closest historical example doesn’t point that way and the boys spoke English so they’re basically British, as is everyone who speaks that language.

e: the fellas who ate each other in the Andes were civil to one another too, IIRC

That's true. Americans would observe Robert's Rules of Order all the way through the gutting & cleaning.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought the ultra nationalists were the EU guys in Ukraine

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

yeah and you really can't understate how much of a response it was - it's a total rewrite of an existing, honestly kind of lovely book called coral island - which is not subtext, a character at one point literally goes "why did this go all fucky didn't you read coral island???". there the problem is the other direction and you get kids landing on the island and immediately turning into the swiss family robinson, of course we could throw a few good English upper class boys at anything to civilize it. the three main characters in LotF are kind of grotesque parodies of the protagonists in that other novel.

the book is kind of about how golding genuinely thought that the only thing keeping children from literally tearing each other apart was social conditioning. i do not think he quite understood that the reason they would was, in fact, very social conditioning and a product of the worst place in the world.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Minicurve went to a engineering free school and it was full of enthusiastic teachers who had been given lots of money by Gove and big cooperations because they felt if they gave poor kids a chance to do cool robot building projects and the Duke of Edinburgh awards like the posh Eton kids do then they would get good results.

Oddly enough it turns out if you fund a school properly then that poo poo works. I don’t know why they are not doing this with all schools either.

She got 9s and GCSE level qualifications the local college will treat as A levels and is restarting her A level year there because the rona was going to drag her grades down too much.

Because having a permanent underclass is not a bug but a feature of the system. If poor people as a whole could escape poverty who would work all the crap low paying jobs????

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tbf if you were raised in the British boarding school system would you not murder your seniors as soon as you could?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

it's coming home

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

CoolCab posted:

yeah and you really can't understate how much of a response it was - it's a total rewrite of an existing, honestly kind of lovely book called coral island - which is not subtext, a character at one point literally goes "why did this go all fucky didn't you read coral island???". there the problem is the other direction and you get kids landing on the island and immediately turning into the swiss family robinson, of course we could throw a few good English upper class boys at anything to civilize it. the three main characters in LotF are kind of grotesque parodies of the protagonists in that other novel.

the book is kind of about how golding genuinely thought that the only thing keeping children from literally tearing each other apart was social conditioning. i do not think he quite understood that the reason they would was, in fact, very social conditioning and a product of the worst place in the world.

The best detail is how at the end they're rescued by a British warship, which means the world of the island is the world of adults in miniature.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Junkozeyne posted:

Because having a permanent underclass is not a bug but a feature of the system. If poor people as a whole could escape poverty who would work all the crap low paying jobs????

Immigr.... oh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/bespokespeeches/status/1353017489488289794?s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this rules

in contrast atlee; corbyn obviously respected and emulated his temperament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlcn6JtQX_s

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPqj6V3HnU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Labour getting in line with Brexit now. If you can't beat the tories out-nationalist the tories.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1411626397647376385

https://twitter.com/dontbrexitfixit/status/1411598093548756993

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How is that Starmer’s fault? Do they expect him to go out and pick all the strawberries himself?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's funny to pretend "buying British" is a choice after Brexit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

learnincurve posted:

How is that Starmer’s fault? Do they expect him to go out and pick all the strawberries himself?

It's not like he has anything else to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

tbf to the survivors in the Andes, they ate the bodies of passengers who'd been killed in the crash.