Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks a bunch, should keep me busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

You can unlock the spells with mods on, as far as i can tell, but it doesnt record your progress in the progress tracking thing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

If you have homing spells,then levitation trail becomes so much stronger its insane.

I've also found gold is forever makes any run work, personally

I was gonna say that first one. A little trail of enemy locating death sparks that never stop

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Levitation trail + homing makes accidental polymorphs a lot more dangerous.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

You can unlock the spells with mods on, as far as i can tell, but it doesnt record your progress in the progress tracking thing

My understanding was that the in-game "achievement" tracker doesn't care about mods. But if you mean "use a mod to unlock the spell" then yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if that doesn't set the same flags that the "here's the list of every spell you've ever gotten" table uses.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
What are people's favorite mods, by the by? I'm only using the tinker with wands everywhere mod, which I turn ff sometimes because it does feel like cheating :V even though I still make it to the underground jungle like, 1/50 runs and to the temple of the art 1/200. I'm a master at throwing a run away by doing something stupid, or hasty.

But I have been considering looking up more mods. I used the spell lab one a bit even though it's kind of broken now to get the basic gist of wand construction and some of the weird edge cases.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Darox posted:

Honestly unlocking all the hidden spells doesn't really change regular gameplay for the first 1-4 floors.

The Fireball and Sawblade Orbit spell modifiers, which are unlocked by defeating Suomuhauki, are very commonly found in the first holy mountain, and they are in fact excellent through that exact level range.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Got to be honest, the laboriousness of the good ending feels like political commentary.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

Got to be honest, the laboriousness of the good ending feels like political commentary.

Define "good" ending? There's several different endings, but the only one I can think of as maybe qualifying as "good" is the one where there's no more fighting, and that one feels like more of an easter egg than anything else.

Most of the endings go very badly because your character maybe doesn't have the greatest of intentions: diving into various habitats, killing everything there, and taking their stuff.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Define "good" ending? There's several different endings, but the only one I can think of as maybe qualifying as "good" is the one where there's no more fighting, and that one feels like more of an easter egg than anything else.

That's the one! The 33 orb, NG+ one.

quote:

Most of the endings go very badly because your character maybe doesn't have the greatest of intentions: diving into various habitats, killing everything there, and taking their stuff.

A little more solidarity and I wouldn't have to!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Nea posted:

What are people's favorite mods, by the by? I'm only using the tinker with wands everywhere mod, which I turn ff sometimes because it does feel like cheating :V even though I still make it to the underground jungle like, 1/50 runs and to the temple of the art 1/200. I'm a master at throwing a run away by doing something stupid, or hasty.

But I have been considering looking up more mods. I used the spell lab one a bit even though it's kind of broken now to get the basic gist of wand construction and some of the weird edge cases.

I'm using a bunch of mods, here's a short list:

Arcane Alchemy - Adds a number more potion types, static charge is electrified goo, hungry slime is super sticky spreading ooze, arborium converts materials it touches to wood, and more. I find most of these harmless fun but it does add pandorium (fires random low level spells until it dries up) and chaotic pandorium (fires random high level spells until it dries, essentially wiping out a screen length). You may rarely die because a goblin kicked a chaotic pandorium vial just off screen. Don't get if you hate that.

Fluid Dynamics - Adds potion powders (just add water!), gaseous versions of vanilla potions when they get burned and compressed tanks of potion gas around snow and hisii base instead of them all being supercool gas.

Goki's Things - Adds a detailed mod menu you can use to manage other mods and a large number of new spells and perks. Mod author says it is abandoned but it is still working just fine on the current version. I use it to turn off spells from mods if they overlap or I think they are completely useless, buggy, imbalanced, etc. You can also use it to make you always start with certain perks each run, I like to start with 'No Shuffle' all the time so I can have more fun making wands and not get dry spells of shuffle only wands.

Varia Addons - A pack for more spells. It also has guarenteed shovels (pre-made digging wands) and special weapons (pre-made wands) that always spawn in certain places but you can turn those off, as I do.

Thematic Random Starts - 32 starting loadouts that give you one perk and a wand and potion or two on theme, like telekinetic who only starts with a wand that summons rocks but has telekinetic kick or ninja who starts with invisibility and shurikens. Stronger starting perks means you start with less max health. Some of the loadouts are harder than vanilla, some are probably easier, but I find them a fun way to mix up the first couple floors (which I repeat often when I die in hilarious fashion). I think the theme and some of the creativity of this mod makes it more interesting to me than some of the other starting loadout mods.

And some other minor mods to look at as well:

Lukki Spiderwalk - This mod was out before the Lukki perk was adjusted to have the wall walking we have now, but I like the control/feel of the mod slightly more.

Light-Up Lanterns - Light sources are visible through the darkness/fog without you having walked there first.

Bottled Reactions - Liquids in bottles mix like in the world - water and sludge in a flask mixes to water, for example.

Delayed Dots - A second or two of delay when you catch fire/sludge before you actually take damage, so you lose a bit less health to stepping in three pixels of dangerous goo. Doesn't apply to acid.

Enemy Kill Insults -

EDIT: Adding more spell mods will mean it is harder to get your favourite vanilla spells/modifiers. If you think it is important you always be able to get luminous drill/black hole/ping pong/whatever else, then don't get those. This might be quite relevant if you want to do paralell world/orb collection nonsense.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
The "UI: Hits, Timer, Depth" mod is solid as well, it's meant for people speedrunning or doing no-hit runs, but found it really useful just for the sound it plays when you take damage.

It's less useful the better you are at the game, but when I was starting out it really helped to be able to focus on enemies and other hazards but still know when to respond to silent killers like getting set on fire while you're panicking or hovering in freezing vapour.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

loving got sent to wizard jail.

https://i.imgur.com/KRqcEQw.mp4

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sax Solo posted:

loving got sent to wizard jail.

https://i.imgur.com/KRqcEQw.mp4

"I did my waiting! 12 years of it!"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Fun Fact: Boomerang Spells turns the Luminous Drill into a laser gun

This is, uh, not bad.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Fun Fact: Boomerang Spells turns the Luminous Drill into a laser gun

This is, uh, not bad.

Put the Light mod on it, too, so you can scan behind walls.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah there's basically no way you can lo

https://i.imgur.com/5Vlq2tb.mp4

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
My current game had boomerang perk and 3 luminous drills in the first holy mountain, so I got to experience it first hand yesterday. In a weird bit of luck I also found ping pong path, so I’m thinking of using the nullify altar after I finish up underground jungle and kill dragon and pyramid boss, because teleporting with it is just the worst, and I picked up unlimited spells and want to use them without killing myself.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

During one of my more successful runs I got hit with something at some point that left me with a rain cloud following me for the rest of my life. It was super useful!

Does anyone know what actually caused it because there were no status notifications that I noticed.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I've had that happen as a bug from ingesting cursed meat. It's supposed to be temporary along with the satiation but the cloud stayed until I ate more iirc

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Umbra Dubium posted:

During one of my more successful runs I got hit with something at some point that left me with a rain cloud following me for the rest of my life. It was super useful!

Does anyone know what actually caused it because there were no status notifications that I noticed.

dyzzy posted:

I've had that happen as a bug from ingesting cursed meat. It's supposed to be temporary along with the satiation but the cloud stayed until I ate more iirc

eating Cursed Meat, and getting hit by the Cursed Sphere spell (which is cast by the little 'shaman' dudes who carry lanterns). They spawn in Mines/Jungle rarely, or any biome with the "where did all this water come from??" modifier.

except if you get the unlucky status from eating Steve it actually does give a status icon, I think?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

silentsnack posted:

...eating Cursed Meat, and getting hit by the Cursed Sphere spell...

I didn't think it was a curse as those are usually the red thunder clouds, not the blue rain ones.

Still, it's very possible I inadvertently wolfed down something I'd killed while stuffing weird fungus into my face.

I have now been playing this game for an auspicious number of hours:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I have around 600 hours in this game and this is the first time I've actually triggered this reaction in one of my own worlds
https://i.imgur.com/SDyHsa6.mp4

I think it's probably something like chilly water, snow, and blood because hiisi sometimes explode into the blue stuff.
There's so much that it can easily be bottled.

Seed is 694737025 if anyone wants a world with an insanely easy precursor reaction. It's a nightmare seed though so not really a walk in the park to get down there and iirc power plant was generated on both sides of snowy depths which can be really scare on nightmare.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does having mods enabled disable the achievement pillar stuff?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

No, just the steam achievements and two weird-rear end obscure things that also can't exactly be datamined.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

resistentialism posted:

No, just the steam achievements and two weird-rear end obscure things that also can't exactly be datamined.

Go on....

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The eye messages and the cauldron, specifically. The eye messages have been mostly reverse-engineered (but the meaning of them is still a mystery), the cauldron is its own thing I don't know much about.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The greed curse pulsed and turned the dark chest into cursed rock.

Cool cool cool cool

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

When do you guys typically go for parallel worlds? Before or after you've done Kolmi in? I've got some long range blackholes from my projectile repulsor and some ambrosia but otherwise I'm pretty low on heavy damage spells. I haven't made it to a parallel world yet before

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

DarkAvenger211 posted:

When do you guys typically go for parallel worlds? Before or after you've done Kolmi in? I've got some long range blackholes from my projectile repulsor and some ambrosia but otherwise I'm pretty low on heavy damage spells. I haven't made it to a parallel world yet before

Doesn't really matter. Unless you're going for high orbs the boss is just a formality once you start doing stuff outside.
Also, if you intend to go to ng+ it doesn't matter if you kill the boss before or after collecting orbs, only the orb count at the time you turn in the boss item.
I usually did it after to not have to carry around the extra item while doing other things, though I've been having more fun doing nightmare mode runs lately.

If it's your first time good luck! For the ambrosia method it's easier with a teleport bolt since teleporting usually doesn't shake off stains.
If you haven't yet, tackling the alchemist will unlock things that make future attempts much easier. The 1.0 update did add a few more obstacles to parallel world exploration.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

animatorZed posted:

Doesn't really matter. Unless you're going for high orbs the boss is just a formality once you start doing stuff outside.
Also, if you intend to go to ng+ it doesn't matter if you kill the boss before or after collecting orbs, only the orb count at the time you turn in the boss item.
I usually did it after to not have to carry around the extra item while doing other things, though I've been having more fun doing nightmare mode runs lately.

If it's your first time good luck! For the ambrosia method it's easier with a teleport bolt since teleporting usually doesn't shake off stains.
If you haven't yet, tackling the alchemist will unlock things that make future attempts much easier. The 1.0 update did add a few more obstacles to parallel world exploration.

Good to know! Looking through the map I thought Kolmi was under the big lava separator, but he's actually above. Any tips on spells/perks to make it through that? I'm assuming that's the only way down to Hell? Or whatever it might be called.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The absolute best way to cross lava oceans is fungal shifting lava into something harmless, next best is using lava to blood or water trail and creating a rock tunnel through it, madmans option is just diving in while spamming a strong healing wand.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Travel in style
https://i.imgur.com/gwnVfGs.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Good to know! Looking through the map I thought Kolmi was under the big lava separator, but he's actually above. Any tips on spells/perks to make it through that? I'm assuming that's the only way down to Hell? Or whatever it might be called.

It's been awhile since I went to Hell, but one way to do it is with Water Trail and a lot of tedious digging. Another way is Freeze Field, though that perk makes it exponentially more likely that you'll get hung up on single pixels of terrain. I wouldn't recommend that route unless you also have explosion immunity, because you'll probably be point-blank hitting yourself with fireballs or something to get loose.

A third potential way is to combine Black Hole and teleport bolts and just move so quickly that the lava doesn't have time to collapse on your little pocket of air. I've seen someone traveling at ludicrous speed around the map with a setup based on that, but I've never built it myself so I'm not sure exactly how it works. I think it required several extremely rare spells to set up.

...edit: yeah, see the post above mine :v:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Thanks these are all pretty handy.

Darox posted:

The absolute best way to cross lava oceans is fungal shifting lava into something harmless, next best is using lava to blood or water trail and creating a rock tunnel through it, madmans option is just diving in while spamming a strong healing wand.

Is there an easy way to put lava in a flask? I know you can use that to help push the odds that it will fungal shift something

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

One way is to hold an empty flask and jump in.

Or if that sounds suicidal, head to the mines lava lake, dig up under the lava until you have an extremely thin barrier keeping it from leaking out, then jam your head into that ceiling and wave the empty flask over your head.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there an easy way to put lava in a flask? I know you can use that to help push the odds that it will fungal shift something

Just fungal shift whatever you've got in the bottle to lava first. don't try this, you'll break the world

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

dobbymoodge posted:

Just fungal shift whatever you've got in the bottle to lava first. don't try this, you'll break the world

things get really funny when you trip so hard you start bleeding Ambrosia

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Wait, there's a way to control what fungal shift does?
I really feel like I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Post poste posted:

Wait, there's a way to control what fungal shift does?
I really feel like I missed something.

Having a flask in your hand will increase the chances that whatever is in the flask will be involved in the fungal shift somehow (it'll be a 75% greater chance according to the wiki)