Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

At the time he was born, New Brunswick wasn't part of Canada, it was British North America. He was a British North American (but not Usian, yes).

True but I basically feel that we can't blame Canada for what the southern territories became. Johnson is absolutely American. His similarities to Trump aren't accidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
As a woman, I always found (and still do) the description of 'smart casual' very confusing.

In my 30s I would turn up to things saying 'smart casual' in a t-shirt with no skulls on it because obviously that is casual, but it is smart because I skipped the skulls.
Everyone else would be turned out in what I call 'wedding clothes' including - god forbid - hats!
That to me is not 'casual' but 'posh do'; Buckingham-Palace-Garden-Party-wear, if you will.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

That's not new, there was some lunatic academy down south that was marching the kids around in perfect silence all the time, real serial killer poo poo.

Possibly Mossbourne Academy. The headteacher who implemented that, along with the 'recite the school ethos before every lesson' motif was Michael Wilshaw, who was made Chief Inspector of OFSTED by (of course) Michael Gove, for whom the worst thing about school is the possibility that a child somewhere might have some free will.

In fairness to Wilshaw, his strategy did work for some of the things he meant it to work for. The area the school is in is very deprived, with lots of the pupils having chaotic home lives. So having a strict, ordered setup at base school helped lots of the recruits pupils have some certainty about the day, which does have a positive psychological effect on many soldiers kids. He also set up lots of after-school activities, so that the pupils wouldn't be dumped on the streets at the same time as every other school in the area, making it less likely they'd get involved in fights/gang stuff. So, fewer pupils ended up involved in gangs, they had a better experience at school than before, and exam results increased.

Of course, every other school that apes this approach pretty much ends up failing, because the morons in charge are usually of the 'I hate actually teaching, so I'm going to career-progress so I don't have to teach' persuasion and, as a result, know gently caress-all about the young people in their schools.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hah, that reminded me of my schoolmates (expat British and Irish) arguing in PE class about whether it was pronounced Seltic or Keltic.

But then I also remember them arguing about whether Marylin Manson was the name of the band, or the name of the woman from the band. Kids argue about silly things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Possibly Mossbourne Academy. The headteacher who implemented that, along with the 'recite the school ethos before every lesson' motif was Michael Wilshaw, who was made Chief Inspector of OFSTED by (of course) Michael Gove, for whom the worst thing about school is the possibility that a child somewhere might have some free will.

In fairness to Wilshaw, his strategy did work for some of the things he meant it to work for. The area the school is in is very deprived, with lots of the pupils having chaotic home lives. So having a strict, ordered setup at base school helped lots of the recruits pupils have some certainty about the day, which does have a positive psychological effect on many soldiers kids. He also set up lots of after-school activities, so that the pupils wouldn't be dumped on the streets at the same time as every other school in the area, making it less likely they'd get involved in fights/gang stuff. So, fewer pupils ended up involved in gangs, they had a better experience at school than before, and exam results increased.

Of course, every other school that apes this approach pretty much ends up failing, because the morons in charge are usually of the 'I hate actually teaching, so I'm going to career-progress so I don't have to teach' persuasion and, as a result, know gently caress-all about the young people in their schools.

It was a woman who was in charge of it, though I think the name michael reminded me that I think it was called the michaeaela academy or something?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Miftan posted:

Seems easy enough to say 'no sports teams' in situations like that as opposed to 'you all have to look like mini Jacob Rees-Moggs'

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

At my school in the west of Scotland, "no football colours" was in effect for PE and it was never a problem.

Sure, but I can see why it's less confrontational to make them wear uniforms here.
You had a lot of rivalry in my area with local GAA football teams, each small town has its own colours, so much that they would kick the poo poo out of each other if they saw each other out on a weekend night.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that was it.

https://time.com/5232857/michaela-britains-strictest-school/

loving insanity.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

It was a woman who was in charge of it, though I think the name michael reminded me that I think it was called the michaeaela academy or something?

I think you're thinking of Katharine Birbalsingh of Michaela Community School, who became known for ultra-strict pointless rules, including silence in corridors and no excuses for anything ever, even if you're ill.

Or abuse, as one might also call it.

See also:

https://twitter.com/orridge_anna/status/1411281224308559878?s=21

vvvv I'm thinking the confusion comes from "casual" being the least-formal extreme of things that have a dress code, rather than actual casual clothing worn by normal people. Like, I might end up in that Ted-Mosby-looking-guy "casual" outfit when manning a trade show booth, but for me that's "uncomfortably smart, can't wait to change back into my jeans/cargo shorts and t-shirt".

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 3, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Johnson is absolutely American. His similarities to Trump aren't accidental.
They were both born in the same hospital in NY, but I don't know if it was designed by Ivo Shandor.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As a woman, I always found (and still do) the description of 'smart casual' very confusing.

In my 30s I would turn up to things saying 'smart casual' in a t-shirt with no skulls on it because obviously that is casual, but it is smart because I skipped the skulls.
Everyone else would be turned out in what I call 'wedding clothes' including - god forbid - hats!
That to me is not 'casual' but 'posh do'; Buckingham-Palace-Garden-Party-wear, if you will.
It was harder to find but I think women are supposed to dress like a spice girls and men like Rick Astley.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

I think you're thinking of Katharine Birbalsingh of Michaela Community School, who became known for ultra-strict pointless rules, including silence in corridors and no excuses for anything ever, even if you're ill.

See also:

Yeah her, absolute psycho poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have rear end-mar, Mr Frodo

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Guavanaut posted:

lol Melton.

'Prepare them for later life' though? What later life involves that poo poo?
I assume the not going to the toilet between lessons is missing the bit about pissing in a bottle during the lesson.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bottom row is just my chemical romance > panic at the disco > the killers > a guy who works in the pharmacy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I basically always wear the "guy who works at the pharmacy" look

I still get poo poo on for being too formal by my housemates

but then again I don't have to change when I work from home and it's comfortable enough?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The spectrum of dress codes might end up better too.

OwlFancier posted:

Bottom row is just my chemical romance > panic at the disco > the killers > a guy who works in the pharmacy.
Black tie optional is definitely Grace Petrie, who can pull off a Bertie Wooster/stroller suit look far better than I can. This might be the one good thing to come from rigidly gendered formal wear.

https://twitter.com/gracepetrie/status/1254419775528321028

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I am 5'3 without shoes and thats the kinda short where you look up to children.

high five gnome buddy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Teapuccino

E: Dutch way of making tea:

- Take Lipton or Pickwick brand tea bag
- Touch gently on surface of hot water for 2 seconds
- THROW IT AWAY BEFORE IT IMPARTS TOO MUCH FLAVOUR!

(I'm only exaggerating slightly)

*Hot* water? You've obviously got access to a better class of Dutch person than I have, because at best I've been offered a glass of lukewarm water and one of those wooden boxes of teabags and a look of dull surprise if I ask for boiling water, as if I'd asked for a fish finger to stir it with or something.

Even the French can be persuaded to provide you with at least acceptable tea-making tackle (although you may have to kidnap their children to make them do so, they at least get the *concept*) but come on a cafe in Amsterdam probably has more British and Irish punters than one in Leicester Square. How can this possibly be a surprise to you?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

I know it sounds like a joke about tight northerners but a friend of mine from East Yorks literally used to dry out his teabags on a line above the sink and reuse them. He claimed that Yorkshire Tea is made extra strong with that very thing in mind.

e: I did try it myself one time and you can get an adequate cup on second use if you steep it long enough, so maybe he was right.

I mean... yeah? Maybe not dry it out, that's a bit weird, but you can easily get two and maybe even three cups out of a single bag if you're willing to let it brew a little while. That's sort of how teabags work, after all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean back in the day you'd put a teabag in a teapot and pour multiple cups. The one-per-mug thing is more about people not being arsed to own/pull out a teapot

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Bubble tea is interesting but I can imagine the novelty wearing off.

Lol what a weird coincidence, I was literally going to post about this - went up West for the first time since the end of lockdown, which was a bit of an experience to be honest, and every single shop in Chinatown selling bubble tea had a queue/scrum outside like it was Black Friday. I've never had it myself, but I can't imagine standing around in light drizzle with a hundred people in front of me just for a cup (glass?) of *anything*, or at least anything that it's legal to sell.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao 'creative black tie' apparently means wearing a different colour waistcoat.

Men's clothes are so drat boring.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
cuppa tea plennya milk 4 sugars woooight :manning:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

What even is the difference between 'black tie optional' and 'business'?

The range of acceptable colours and cuts of the suit, basically. Black-tie optional basically means greys and blacks, with at most a chalkstripe as ornament, French-cuff shirt, and black shoes (not that any well dressed man would ever wear anything but, of course).

It used to be slightly more pronounced because "business" used to be separate from "semi-formal" and would specifically mean grey flannel trousers with a black or pinstripe jacket (originally with tails, but still only ever single-breasted and single-vented even when they went away), a bowler or other full-brimmed hat, and a shitload of weird rules about ties and poo poo. It mostly went away by the late 60s/early 70s (but stayed on in in the civil service and the law well into the 80s). It was actually sort of practical - the idea behind the grey flannel trousers is they would need to be washed much more frequently than the jacket and so the contrast as the trousers faded was much less notable.

Semi-formal was just the stuff you wore when not in your business attire - you could have other colours, even checks, and tweeds, worsteds, and all those other racey accoutrements, as well as button collars and cuffs instead of bands and cufflinks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

They were both born in the same hospital in NY, but I don't know if it was designed by Ivo Shandor.

It was harder to find but I think women are supposed to dress like a spice girls and men like Rick Astley.

That's hilarious. I'd say the women's 'business casual' is more formal than the 'business formal' in that pic. Since when were bare arms on a woman EVER 'formal' for business. Acceptable formal for ball gowns.?

I gave up in the end and just say to friends who say 'come as you are' (hilarious - they really don't want that ruining their group photos!) or 'smart casual' - look at my clothes and tell me what to wear. I have no idea.

I have a male friend who does the same for all those variants on male dress codes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol what a weird coincidence, I was literally going to post about this - went up West for the first time since the end of lockdown, which was a bit of an experience to be honest, and every single shop in Chinatown selling bubble tea had a queue/scrum outside like it was Black Friday. I've never had it myself, but I can't imagine standing around in light drizzle with a hundred people in front of me just for a cup (glass?) of *anything*, or at least anything that it's legal to sell.

I drank bubble tea so you don't have to. It is DISGUSTING.

I remember most guys at work finding 'dress down Fridays' very difficult to negotiate their way around!
Most of them used to wear the same as the rest of the week sans tie.

Always struck me as odd that it was not considered acceptable for men to come to work in shorts or take their jacket off unless the boss did, but women (younger ones anyway) would come in with bare bellies, thongs showing (when that was the fashion) and sleeveless tops with gaping arm holes revealing their bosoms (and then spend all their time moaning about the cold and sneakily turning the office thermostats up).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 3, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pablo Bluth posted:

I assume the not going to the toilet between lessons is missing the bit about pissing in a bottle during the lesson.
More than anything else the toilet thing seems like abject cruelty. Isn't between lessons the ideal time for piss break? Do they only have 30 seconds to get vetween classrooms what the gently caress

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Tesseraction posted:

I mean back in the day you'd put a teabag in a teapot and pour multiple cups.

No.

Back in the day we put one heaped teaspoonful of loose tea per person plus an extra spoonful 'for the pot' into the pot. When teabags arrived, the pot was abandoned.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mr Phillby posted:

More than anything else the toilet thing seems like abject cruelty. Isn't between lessons the ideal time for piss break? Do they only have 30 seconds to get vetween classrooms what the gently caress

Also girls just starting their periods, they are often highly irregular for the first few years and can cause horrible flooding so girls are sitting there with the back of their skirts all sticky with blood. (Also a risk during menopause too but that doesn't tend to be a problem for school girls).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just bought a nice teapot and some loose leaves. It's a proper Sunday morning treat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobstar posted:

See also:

That is deeply funny. Not knowing the difference between Lord of the Flies & Lord of the Rings. Big brain stuff.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also girls just starting their periods, they are often highly irregular for the first few years and can cause horrible flooding so girls are sitting there with the back of their skirts all sticky with blood. (Also a risk during menopause too but that doesn't tend to be a problem for school girls).
Honestly I think the most demented thing I've read in recent years was that male teacher who thought girls could just 'hold it in' so wouldn't let them leave the room.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Venn diagram between men that think that and men that think there's no reason for comprehensive sexual health education is a vesica piscis, because the sets outside of the intersection are empty.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm in Soho RIGHT NOW and bubble tea is definitely a Thing now - there's a whole bunch of places with trendy young people queueing up outside. Strange times.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

That is deeply funny. Not knowing the difference between Lord of the Flies & Lord of the Rings. Big brain stuff.

Free Schools are an exemplar neofeudal idea.
If you have enough money to be able to lobby ministers to open a school, you're automatically capable of running a school.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

Free Schools are an exemplar neofeudal idea.
If you have enough money to be able to lobby ministers to open a school, you're automatically capable of running a school.

Some years ago, a consortium of education professionals put in a bid to run a free school and were rejected - yet Toby Young was accepted!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's this stupid hangover from the days when dress codes were for the upper classes and those that wanted to ape their ways.

Proper 'formal' wear (for men) is a morning suit before 6pm and white tie evening dress after 6pm. 'Semi-formal' is a business suit in the day and black tie in the evening. 'Casual wear' was what you wore in the countryside and involved tweed. In this world 'smart casual' meant a blazer, shirt and trousers but not a proper matching suit. The sort of thing you'd wear while travelling betwixt town and country, or when on your yacht at Cowes.

And that's not even getting into what the equivalents for the ladies are.

But because hardly anyone these days lives their lives like they're in Downton Abbey all these things have taken on different meanings for normal people, where the most formal thing most folk will ever wear is a Moss Bros. suit to a wedding and casual is, well, both really casual and really varied.

I suspect it's all wrapped up in classism and a way of belittling people without the insider knowledge or means to play the ephemeral and deliberately flexible rules - "Oh, aren't you a scruffy git because you thought 'smart casual meant new dark blue jeans and a plain polo shirt. It actually means a two-piece suit of non-matching colours with an optional tie! Haw! Haw! Haw!"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm in Soho RIGHT NOW and bubble tea is definitely a Thing now - there's a whole bunch of places with trendy young people queueing up outside. Strange times.

It’s strange because bubble tea has been around for ages. I think I first had it in 2005.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Hot* water? You've obviously got access to a better class of Dutch person than I have, because at best I've been offered a glass of lukewarm water and one of those wooden boxes of teabags and a look of dull surprise if I ask for boiling water, as if I'd asked for a fish finger to stir it with or something.

Even the French can be persuaded to provide you with at least acceptable tea-making tackle (although you may have to kidnap their children to make them do so, they at least get the *concept*) but come on a cafe in Amsterdam probably has more British and Irish punters than one in Leicester Square. How can this possibly be a surprise to you?

TBH I'm basing this off the office kitchen, where they use hot water because that's what comes out of the kettle.

Now that you mention it though, I do remember the glass mug? cup? thing of tepid water at cafes, from the beforetimes. And yes, the Wooden Box of Choice.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s strange because bubble tea has been around for ages. I think I first had it in 2005.

Yeah, there's been shops selling it around Chinatown for ages (I think the one in Newport Court was there from about 2000) and they always seemed to be doing an okay trade, but for some reason today it was absolutely mad, especially as there's like a dozen shops selling it now.