Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

(for clarification, my comic shop ordered it, the owner just wasn't given any, was told he should get it today, but I don't have time to go until Wednesday. He's been hosed around on shipments so much I'm pretty sure he's literally counting the days until he can start ordering Marvel comics from Penguin).

Dang, do you shop at my store???

Diamond has definitely been getting worse lately, but it is absolutely the worst time for them to do so. Two weeks ago we were shorted a 50 pound box and the way that situation was handed definitely eroded a lot of what good feeling still lingered. Who knows of PRH will be any better when it comes down to it, but yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Penguin has a poo poo ton of experience delivering small runs of paper media to small stores.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What did Black Cat annual have to do with the Infinity bearer business? It was a good story and I would love more Tiger Division, but I feel like I missed something.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cartridgeblowers posted:

What did Black Cat annual have to do with the Infinity bearer business? It was a good story and I would love more Tiger Division, but I feel like I missed something.

Okay good, it wasn't just me. The only thing I could think of was whatever juiced up that guy's possession power was the mind been but then he died.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
They way they had it set up when I came on board is that some issues would have the stone characters and some wouldn't- I guess the idea being to preserve some sense of mystery as to who had a stone and who didn't (there being more annuals than stones being an indication of that). All of them have a part of the Fury story though, which is directly related to a struggle for the stones.

Edit: that is to say, no, you didn't miss anything, Black Cat didn't have any stone hosts in it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Edit: that is to say, no, you didn't miss anything, Black Cat didn't have any stone hosts in it.

Did you come up with all Tiger Division?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Most of them. Luna Snow and White Fox were already there, and GUN-R II is a sequel character to the deceased GUN-R from Al's Contest of Champions where White Fox joined 616 officially, but Taegukgi came from Taskmaster, created by my and Alessandro Vitti. When they asked me to do a Black Cat team up (or fight, whatever) with White Fox, I though it would be fun to revisit those characters and fill out the rest of the crew so Joey and I put them together. Mr. Enigma is the tribute to the indestructible (at least until the end of the movie) tough guys of Korean cinema, Auntie Ante uses magic Go-Stop tiles (I used to play a lot of Go-Stop in Korea with my friends) and the General is a living jangseung totem.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I caught up with the last few issues of Black Cat this week and I'm loving it so much. The book does a little narrative thing I really like that I think really lends itself to a serial form like the superhero comic. The Black Fox has been a one note character for decades, which has never been a problem because it's honestly a well-crafted and fun note. And he shows up in Black Cat, the note is chimed very well, and the reader enjoys him-- and then, bam, a second note. It's like if your favorite pair of comfy slippers pulled a gun on you one night. And again it's so perfectly suited to the way cape comics' seriality and intertextuality work-- we're so accustomed to the basic grammar of a Grey Fox story that we get tricked by MacKay's seeming fluency at that kind of story that it's a blindside, despite the red flags, when it turns out that an entirely different kind of story is being told.

I just really like that sleight of hand, that Thunderbolts-esque legerdemain that leverages the way comics often treat history and repetition in order to flick the wrist and suddenly offer up something brand new.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I love when people who have never read a comic loudly declare they will never buy another comic.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1411552517226307585?s=20

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Skwirl posted:

I love when people who have never read a comic loudly declare they will never buy another comic.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1411552517226307585?s=20

I love that most of Cap’s history post Stan and Jack has him as a guy who constantly doubts the “American Dream” and doesn’t trust the government, but these people just assume he’s the living embodiment of AMERICA gently caress YEAH

The Englehart run is as anti-American government as it gets, and even Gruenwald spends a large portion of his run showing how Cap isn’t afraid to fight the government and its corruption. Christ, he portrays Reagan as a senile doofus who acts as a puppet who gets turned into a literal snake.

But idiots gotta idiot, I guess.

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021
Currently reading some of the major events of the 2000’s - I’ve read Disassembled and Secret War so far and am getting ready for House of M. Currently reading the Claremont X-Men stuff (2004) but I much prefer the Whedon stuff from what I’ve read.

Is this poo poo important? I’m sure I can skip right to House of M but does this Claremont run add anything?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bemusedchunk posted:

Currently reading some of the major events of the 2000’s - I’ve read Disassembled and Secret War so far and am getting ready for House of M. Currently reading the Claremont X-Men stuff (2004) but I much prefer the Whedon stuff from what I’ve read.

Is this poo poo important? I’m sure I can skip right to House of M but does this Claremont run add anything?

I haven't actually read the 2004 Claremont stuff, but I have read House of M and I'm pretty sure the Claremont stuff adds nothing.

It's not an Event, but I definitely recommend reading at least the first run of New Avengers after House of M.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I haven't actually read the 2004 Claremont stuff, but I have read House of M and I'm pretty sure the Claremont stuff adds nothing.

It's not an Event, but I definitely recommend reading at least the first run of New Avengers after House of M.

Breakout was an event, actually! Kind of, anyway.

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021

Skwirl posted:

I might slog through a few more issue and then drop it from my reading list. New Avengers (and young avengers) is on my reading list.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bemusedchunk posted:

I might slog through a few more issue and then drop it from my reading list. New Avengers (and young avengers) is on my reading list.

Young Avengers vol 1 is dece, Young Avengers vol 2 is loving amazing, but you sorta need to read the Gillen Journey Into Mystery first and if you're doing the chronologically you're a ways off from that (it spins out of Siege).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Young Avengers vol 1 is dece, Young Avengers vol 2 is loving amazing, but you sorta need to read the Gillen Journey Into Mystery first and if you're doing the chronologically you're a ways off from that (it spins out of Siege).

Please just clarify that you mean Young Avengers by Gillen. Because there was Young Avengers: Children's Crusade which should be avoided at all costs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Please just clarify that you mean Young Avengers by Gillen. Because there was Young Avengers: Children's Crusade which should be avoided at all costs.

Yeah, I meant Young Avengers by Gillen, that's Volume 2. Children's crusade is a separate mini.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1412487101648719886

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1412488384774344714

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Maybe they feel duped because they saw the name Christopher Cantwell and bought the book sight unseen?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nazi sympathizers have been making those complaints since 1941.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

God drat it, Jason Aaron. After really liking Heroes Reborn you return to Avengers with both character and literal assassination of two minor characters I liked.

World War She Hulk? A bridge too far.

IK edit: If you're going to talk about books that aren't out yet, even obliquely, use spoiler tags please.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 7, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

howe_sam posted:

Maybe they feel duped because they saw the name Christopher Cantwell and bought the book sight unseen?

:laffo: Goddamn.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lord_Hambrose posted:

God drat it, Jason Aaron. After really liking Heroes Reborn you return to Avengers with both character and literal assassination of two minor characters I liked.

World War She Hulk? A bridge too far.

seriously dude use some drat spoiler tags for books that haven't even come out yet

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

seriously dude use some drat spoiler tags for books that haven't even come out yet

how else is he gonna remind people he works at a comics store and reads the books before we do

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Alaois posted:

how else is he gonna remind people he works at a comics store and reads the books before we do

Sometimes you just gotta post.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

As someone whose first exposure to Captain America was the back half of the DeMatties run, I got a kick out of seeing Sinthea go back to the old Mother Superior look, though for some reason I never clocked onto the fact that the two characters were the same.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The America Chavez series is really quite good. I didn't like the twist from last issue, but the art is great.
Also, that Spider-Man annual was fun. Ripley Ryan is the villain he deserves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This month's Trials of Ultraman isn't very good. But it did set up the last issue to be an all-out three way kaiju battle.

But considering how loving bizarrely reticent this series has been to have cool battles between Ultraman and kaiju, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

The America Chavez series is really quite good. I didn't like the twist from last issue, but the art is great.
Also, that Spider-Man annual was fun. Ripley Ryan is the villain he deserves.

That's what, the 5th Midtown High alumnus to become a hero or villain?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the new America Chavez origin frankly sucks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait they're doing another origin for her? Why?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

parents weren't normal enough I guess because her entire from-another-dimension backstory is bullshit!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Two moms is a bridge too far?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Two moms is a bridge too far?

That's like the one thing which stayed constant.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's just so loving boring and shows a lack of imagination that I can only guess comes from being a television writer.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

I think the new America Chavez origin frankly sucks

it's such a woefully misguided retcon and I have no idea what anyone involved was thinking, maybe someone decided that she was appropriating Latinx identity because she wasn't from Earth

I have a hard time imagining it'll stick, at least

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I can't see America's new origin sticking. It's a bad retcon that will probably be done away with sometime down the road.

radlum
May 13, 2013
It is disheartening that both bad retcons were made by Latina writers; feels like Marvel setting them up to fail by going back to retconning the origin, instead of just letting America be a superhero.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It does give her a villain of her own, which isn't nothing, although I'm not sure what's gained by undoing the whole Utopian Parallel thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't know that "cookie cutter old rich white guy" is actually anything of note tbh