Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

This kinda happened to me in reverse. Truck drops off an utter shitload of bark dust that I have to distribute around the yard for my (good friend) landlord. I spend about 4 hours loading a wheelbarrow with a normal shovel (spade shaped). I’m about one wheelbarrow load away from saying gently caress this and going down to buy a snow shovel. Lo and behold, bark dust dudes left a snow shovel in the pile.

Thanks dudes but maybe bury it closer to the edge next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
"MOVE sucked, they should have advocated for Black liberation and environtalism in a way I agree with"

*Boils to death in NW heat wave*

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm assuming since we're letting the Pacific Rim sequel play out that the shutoff valves don't work. How does one even approach turning that off, all I can imagine is the Gulf War oil well fires.

E: If I could read I'd have seen it lasted 'only' 10 hours.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 3, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

"MOVE sucked, they should have advocated for Black liberation and environtalism in a way I agree with"

*Boils to death in NW heat wave*

You bonehead. You can only boil to death in the Florida region of the US, elsewhere it's just sparkling heatstroke.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't understand how it's sustaining the fire underwater

I guess turn off the pipeline and wait for it to burn off all the remaining gas?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I presume it's the massive amount of pressure the ocean is exerting?

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
What are they thinking, they're gonna spread it around just spraying water on it like that. They gotta get someone down there with just the biggest fuckin pot lid.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

already saw "can you blow it out with a nuke" cool good

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I assumed that the fire is only at the surface (and perhaps a foot or two below), I'd be very surprised if there was a stoichiometric o2/fuel mix being piped anywhere.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Like ones you can see from fuckin space though?

There was a pretty big one in 1986 that we got satellite photos of

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Natural gas is mostly(?) water soluble and it's not so much that it's 'burning underwater' and more that 'the water is near flammable' when it hits the surface. My guess from watching people light their faucet on fire on Youtube.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ror posted:

Holy gently caress, I had never heard of the MOVE bombing before. Is there a German word for something that is jaw-dropping and insane and yet completely unsurprising?

jesus christ

:siren:

:siren:

I hadn't either, reading up on that whole thing is a complete :psyduck: moment. Especially the whole intentionally letting the neighborhood burn thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

scopes posted:

What are they thinking, they're gonna spread it around just spraying water on it like that. They gotta get someone down there with just the biggest fuckin pot lid.

Or put a bunch of salt on it.

wait gently caress

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My guess would be the roiling of the water as the heated natural gas came to the surface both allows O2 to mix into the natural gas and burn underwater while simultaneously providing enough heat to complete the fire triangle. Piped natural gas needs extraordinarily little reason to burst into flames once it gets out of a fuel pipe. It's not hypergolic by any means but it's pretty close.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

binge crotching posted:

I hadn't either, reading up on that whole thing is a complete :psyduck: moment. Especially the whole intentionally letting the neighborhood burn thing.
Haha yeah welcome to navigating this poo poo

the key is that if it's some act committed in opposition to brown people or it's just any general act committed by cops you should be relentlessly incredulous

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

KoRMaK posted:

Haha yeah welcome to navigating this poo poo

the key is that if it's some act committed in opposition to brown people or it's just any general act committed by cops you should be relentlessly incredulous

And if you read a report or news story about something like this, look at the attributions for the facts. If the only attributions are to the official police statement, that's gonna be a red flag.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That night-time shot is just loving horrifying. But the day-time one looks ridiculously fake for some reason.

It looks like a 1990's RTS that supports 3dfx Voodoo.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Memento posted:

It's certainly not good, but it's a natural gas pipeline, not oil, so everything coming out of it bubbled up and drifted away to cause further acceleration of the greenhouse effect, as opposed to washing up on the shoreline and poisoning the local wildlife.

I seem to remember methane being a worse greenhouse gas than CO2, so does it being on fire actually help here?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Red Adair gonna need a scuba suit.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Computer viking posted:

I seem to remember methane being a worse greenhouse gas than CO2, so does it being on fire actually help here?

Potentially? I'm not super familiar with the science behind anything tbh, so am relying purely on Google and results from the US govt vs seemingly less dubious .com sites.

Found this very rudimentary pdf link

Along with this:

Fake edit: Apparently methane combustion produces CO2 and water, so theoretically it's better than than just dumping methane right into the atmosphere. However methane only hangs around for around 12-ish years, while CO[sub]2[/sub sticks around for substantially longer. To the tune of hundreds of years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

Very yes.

Releasing the methane is about thirty times worse than lighting it up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/loudribs/status/1410995299418521608

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A tank from the IS series would be nominatively appropriate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh yes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Oof

Oof

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Psh. Commies do poo poo wrong.

You don't dry it up, you just pollute it until everything in it dies and it makes the air poison! Then you plant an astounding amount of the countries crops near it, and kill/maim migrant workers to provide cheap produce and also take care of immigration problems, duh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Does the :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvaza_gas_crater count?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/T2vaQw7.mp4

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
lmfao shut the gently caress up. no one needs you to come in here and say "well actually did you know MOVE was annoying :colbert:"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
"Welp, might as well start unloading, we've got a bridge to build"

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Psh. Commies do poo poo wrong.

You don't dry it up, you just pollute it until everything in it dies and it makes the air poison! Then you plant an astounding amount of the countries crops near it, and kill/maim migrant workers to provide cheap produce and also take care of immigration problems, duh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

the salton sea isn’t a natural body of water, it was created accidentally by diverting the colorado river. it would have dried up decades ago if not for agricultural runoff. the fish and other wildlife in it would also have died off as the salinity rose due to natural evaporation even without fertilizer runoff (and then of course wouldn’t be around to die as it dried up)

it remains an environmental catastrophe because of california politics, not because anyone’s profiting from how it is now

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1411184230307176455
https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1411179868218396672
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1411268982636691462

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

I was beaten to the Aral Sea, but we've also got the Mailuu-Suu dam failure which was definitely visible from space, and is now one of the most contaminated places on Earth, one that continues to be a threat to nearby population centers 60+ years after the event. Oh, and Chernobyl. Chernobyl happened.

Industrial disasters happen under industrial conditions. No form of government or economic system will ever eliminate them, the best we can hope for is to reduce their frequency and severity by learning the lessons they teach. The safety manual was written in blood, etc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Godspeed to that van.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Learn from history and mistakes? Buddy do you even KNOW humans?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

“Those must have been some slow pe-oh gently caress.”

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

I'd like to congratulate capitalism winning the war against planet Earth by setting the loving ocean on fire.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Learn from history and mistakes?

Sounds fukkin expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Godspeed to that van.

Yeah, seems like they should've went back the way they came instead of getting downstream of it.

Though it's easy for me to say watching from a different angle in my armchair.