Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tim Russ saying "we ain't found poo poo!" while combing the desert with a pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spaceballs was stupid and fun and it's totally fine if it's not your thing but I loved the dumb poo poo it did back in the day.

The desert comb, pizza the hutt, the bit where they rewind the movie, it was a good silly time

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Spaceballs is a great example of a work thats less than the sum of its parts, there are multiple single scenes and gags that are incredible (suck to blow, spaceballs the flamethrower, finding the heroes by fast forwarding the VHS,etc) but actually sitting down and watching the movie is not actually an amazing experience past the first time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the parts of spaceballs that focus on the spaceballs themselves are pretty fun, most of the other parts just kinda feel like Mel Brooks going on autopilot

CmdrKing posted:

50% "Rick Moranis is having a GREAT time" and 50% "They hadn't invented the internet yet there wasn't other Star Wars parodies", I'd say.

Nah spaceballs came out a full decade after Star Wars. It actually got flack from critics because Star Wars parodies felt tired and overdone by then

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 3, 2021

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kennel posted:

:yeah:

I genuinely don't understand why people seem to like it.

It's definitely aged... not great compared to others of the era. I think the classic "wacky spoof comedies" that aged better did it with their use of deadpan silliness (Airplane! The Naked Gun, Hot Shots! Top Secret!), and Spaceballs is very much the odd one out there. It also has a slower joke pace than most of the above (especially Hot Shots!) which does make it feel more like a bunch of decent-to-great SNL skits in succession than a movie. It's got some great moments and quotables, but yeah, sitting down and watching it again was not the fun experience I hoped it would be.

Now, if anyone were insane enough to remake The Kentucky Fried Movie, that would be something.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The bit with the jawa stand ins singing like the dwaves from snow white always slays me.

Its a silly fun movie i was a kid that loved star wars and i hadn't seen all of mel brooks jokes already because i hadn't watched any of his other films. Thats my spaceballs story.

The worst thing i've ever seen is the space balls animated tv show they made like in 2010 for some reason. Just rancid.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?”
“Now. You’re looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now is happening now.
“What happened to then?”
“We passed it.”
“When?”
“Just now. We’re in now now.”
“Go back to then!”
“When?”
“Now!”
“Now?”
“Now!”
“I can’t!”
“Why?”
“We missed it!”
“When?”
“Just now!”
“…When will then be now?”
“Soon.”

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still think Spaceballs holds up. Not Mel's best overall work but it has some real all-time bits

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Spaceballs is a great example of a work thats less than the sum of its parts, there are multiple single scenes and gags that are incredible (suck to blow, spaceballs the flamethrower, finding the heroes by fast forwarding the VHS,etc) but actually sitting down and watching the movie is not actually an amazing experience past the first time.

That’s a good way to put it but I think that’s true of a lot of those kinds of movies.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Spaceballs is an amazing movie if you loved Star Wars but don't take Star Wars so seriously that you're offended by any slight against Star Wars. So it's no surprise that prequel lovers and sequel lovers hate it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FuturePastNow posted:

Spaceballs is an amazing movie if you loved Star Wars but don't take Star Wars so seriously that you're offended by any slight against Star Wars. So it's no surprise that prequel lovers and sequel lovers hate it.

Hmmm...no.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Seriously. It's Brook's second-worst movie (only beaten out by the one genuinely bad movie he made, Dracula: Dead and Loving It).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FuturePastNow posted:

this is a very confusing sentiment to me

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Fans of the prequels are a famously humourless bunch.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The best scene to me is the one that has the classic
"Now you see that Evil will always triumph. Because Good is Dumb."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
General Grievous is cool as hell

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the difference between Spaceballs and something like Airplane is that a lot of Airplane is still funny if you don't know the specific reference.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Space Balls owns. So many iconic lines and hilarious bits. :allears:

FuturePastNow posted:

lol nah. I'm a sequel lover and I kinda like the prequels too (I dont hate them atleast) and I love space balls. In fact, considering how many people hate the prequels and sequels in this thread, it's probably the opposite.

Anyway, my favorite line in SB is "gently caress! Even in the future nothing works!" because as someone living in the far flung future year of 2021, its so true :negative:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pants Donkey posted:

We already had a video in this channel as to how Blazing Saddles was a parody of spaghetti westerns and that would lack the relevancy of today.

Also, Mel Brooks is like, 90-something.

Not spag westerns, but the classic westerns from before them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

muscles like this! posted:

I think the difference between Spaceballs and something like Airplane is that a lot of Airplane is still funny if you don't know the specific reference.

Considering 90% of Airplane! is a shot for shot remake of Zero Hour, I doubt most people would know the specific reference.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Spaceballs is good, send tweet.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

you couldnt make spaceballs today

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The phone gag in Top Secret is so goddamn good

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

a cartoon duck posted:

you couldnt make spaceballs today

Disney would sue your balls off.

That said, the Epic Movie guys are trying…

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

LanceHunter posted:

Seriously. It's Brook's second-worst movie (only beaten out by the one genuinely bad movie he made, Dracula: Dead and Loving It).
It is definitely not worse than Robin Hood: Men in Tights. The number of jokes that land successfully in that can be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Spaceballs has John Candy in it. It can't be all bad on that basis alone. :colbert:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spaceballs seems like that clear moment in his filmography where the quality was shifting. It’s a fine movie, but pretty laser focused on just parodying Star Wars (and other sci-fi) and little else. I regard the movie fondly, unlike Robin Hood or especially Dead and Loving It, but I never find myself rewatching it as opposed to Blazing Saddles or (during October) Young Frankenstein.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

Spaceballs has John Candy in it. It can't be all bad on that basis alone. :colbert:

Wherever two or more SCTV alum gathered, there is God.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

NorgLyle posted:

It is definitely not worse than Robin Hood: Men in Tights. The number of jokes that land successfully in that can be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

I love Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Then again, I haven’t seen it in two decades, and if I’m on board the “Spaceballs wasn’t as good as your memories of it” train then I should probably give it a rewatch to hold myself to the same standard…

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love how everyone says Dead and Loving It is his worst movie when Life Stinks exists and nobody even remembers it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FuturePastNow posted:

TLJ is my second favorite star war and I love spaceballs what the heckin poo poo are you talking about my dawg

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Disney would sue your balls off.

That said, the Epic Movie guys are trying…

Its weird watching Naked Gun movies and how good they were, while knowing that the directors went on to make *something* Movies.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Remember how David Zucker also made "An American Carol", a right wing """"comedy"""" movie about how Michael Moore is fat (lol!) and loves terrorism :shepface:

All I really remember from it is Ben the Soldier from Its Always Sunny is in it (playing a soldier again lol)

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 3, 2021

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering 90% of Airplane! is a shot for shot remake of Zero Hour, I doubt most people would know the specific reference.

But 99 % of the jokes work without having seen that movie

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

Remember how David Zucker also made "An American Carol", a right wing """"comedy"""" movie about how Michael Moore is fat (lol!) and loves terrorism :shepface:

All I really remember from it is Ben the Soldier from Its Always Sunny is in it (playing a soldier again lol)

It also starred Chris Farley.....'s brother, Kevin.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

muscles like this! posted:

It also starred Chris Farley.....'s brother, Kevin.

lmao yeah. And also a ton of washed-up right-wing celebrities like James Woods and Kevin Sorbo.

Not to mention Bill O'Reilly playing himself in a painfully unfunny cameo. In fact Billo was also in Iron Man 2 and Transformers 3 as himself too. What was with Billo showing up in so many movies in the late 2000s?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

While on the highway my dad would inevitably say "They've gone to plaid!" when someone passed him.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sankara posted:

While on the highway my dad would inevitably say "They've gone to plaid!" when someone passed him.

lmao that's awesome

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
oh are we talking about comedies that are held up as shining monoliths of the genre but in reality aren't great or even good?

has anyone mentioned Ghostbusters yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nah ghostbusters is still really good and holds up well, even if it is bald facedly right wing (less so than back to the future, but still there)