Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

hemale in pain posted:

The button man sounds amazing (and harmless probably)

Deer antler buttons...

Human femur buttons...

I mean, buttons dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think the camera thing is probably not real, but if it is then it’s the creepiest poo poo of all time

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Time posted:

I think the camera thing is probably not real, but if it is then it’s the creepiest poo poo of all time

It's a very common spooky story so yeah probably not real but still a cool fireside tale.

Next time I'm wild camping with a friend ill make sure to tell them about the button man

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

hemale in pain posted:

It's a very common spooky story so yeah probably not real but still a cool fireside tale.

And definitely commonly heard enough that people would try to prank their friends with it if the opportunity arose.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

corker2k posted:

Saw this posted in another thread and thought I'd share: https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/layton-keddy-bicycle-australian-bush/

It's amazing to me that this guy, whose whole deal is brutally long and difficult bikepacking trips that he films, didn't have any kind of solar or freehub powered battery charger for his gear.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Dren posted:

It's amazing to me that this guy, whose whole deal is brutally long and difficult bikepacking trips that he films, didn't have any kind of solar or freehub powered battery charger for his gear.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the kind of guy who writes his mom a not-suicide note in a public Instagram post before blithely shutting his phone off, seemingly oblivious to the panic that might cause… might not have the best planning skills and attention to detail.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Blotto_Otter posted:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the kind of guy who writes his mom a not-suicide note in a public Instagram post before blithely shutting his phone off, seemingly oblivious to the panic that might cause… might not have the best planning skills and attention to detail.

but I'm sure his calves are impressive

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

Not a good planner? The man cut the handle off his toothbrush!!

And then didn't research if there would be water in any streams at that time of year...

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

corker2k posted:

Not a good planner? The man cut the handle off his toothbrush!!

And then didn't research if there would be water in any streams at that time of year...

i mean the dude made it and didn't seem to be in any extreme danger apart from being alone so gotta give him credit for that.

I for one just came back from an overnighter. i'm prepping for a larger trip and oh gosh i'm out of practice! I hosed up stuff multiple times. I got a puncture in the dark and accidentally stabbed a new hole in the tyre, when putting the plug in, and completetly missed the puncture. My pump was messed up and was taking bloody ages to get the tyre barely inflated. I couldn't figure out why! then sitting in bed last night after the trip i suddenly realized i'd lent it to a bunch of blokes at the pub who had a flat and they'd changed it from presta to schrader. They switched it back but put the rubber piece in the wrong way round so it was never making an effective seal. I don't blame them, it's my tool and i should know how to use it and check for problems.

My saddle bag anti-sway rail snapped because i didn't do up the bag straps which go through the seat rails tight enough. the bag was only being supported by the rail so yeah massive user error! thankfully it's not critical for attaching the bag so ductape and tightening straps kept it working. £20 down the drain though.

I also did the usual dumb stuff and put too much effort in early on because i felt good and tuckered mysef for the next like 80km that day. didn't eat/drink enough etc etc. On the plus side i'll hopefully learn from these mistakes so when im out for 3 weeks i wont gently caress up as much.

It was all plain english countryside so no interesting photos but bike -

and cool arse blood moon i could see over the sea from my bivying spot (terrible quality, my camera cant do night)

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 29, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Sounds like an adventure!

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Attempted to 2-day the 100 mile Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder.

Here's the route: https://www.strava.com/routes/22770635

We were going to start from the opposite side and cut out the beginning and end 7 miles.

It was so loving cold the second day that we edited out quite a bit of it.

Anyway, here's the ride. We had a ton of fun and the route kicked our rear end really badly on the first day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5196371527

I'm in love. Touring rules. Bikepacking rules. Climbing sand/gravel hills rules*.

Those roads are so straight, do they look straight when you are riding on them?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Some are straight forward, but a good chunk is up mountain bike trails in reverse (climbing the long descents and descending the punchy uphills) which are a pain in the rear end. Others are straight, but sand forest roads and ATV roads with some loving stupid hills. You get to the top spinning sand backwards for the last bit and see 4 more identical big stupid hills immediately after. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to try again, but big oof.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Bikepacking just put out this huge comparo and visual shopping for half frame bag options:
https://bikepacking.com/index/half-frame-bags-and-wedges/
Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

I bike tour with two rear panniers. I could use some more storage space and I've heard that handlebar/fork bags might impair bike stability.

I'm considering a small triangle between the top tube and seatpost and a small half top bag in the bike's main triangle while still being able to fit and reach my two water bottles.

Could use another 5 l worth of storage so another set of panniers for the front fork would be overkill.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Crosspost from general thread:

Audax Day! Off from Cambridge to Melton Mowbray, home of the pork pie*, and back. Although my riding companions decided that we should do the "Extra Slice" version of the route (on the least audax bikes possible - an aeroad, a propel, a caad13 and me on my tarmac), which added on a few km, about 200m of climbing and most importantly half a dozen 15%+ ramps, capping out at 22%.

Absolutely beautiful day for it, with no wind and bright sunshine. It was the kind of England that Brexiteers think the country is like, instead of gloomy and dismal like yesterday.

If anything it was too warm - not so bad starting at 8am meaning we sailed through to the Melton Mowbray control, but by midday it was hot and humid (22 degrees doesn't sound like much, but the humidity peaked at 90% today and yesterday was a full 10°C colder) and generally nasty, leading to a stop on the way back 60k out from home to get more fluids. I also had lots of flies stuck to me due to the sun cream, a superior outcome compared to my riding companions who were literally getting blisters on their arms from the sun. Horrendous.

The other notable event was having to stop for about 10 minutes as a guy was shepherding sheep down the road, blocking it completely. Fortunately we were in no danger of missing the time cut.

I also did a couple of sprints (one at each end) and I somehow managed to get my highest ever 5 second power? What's that about.

All in all, really good fun especially as I've been stuck inside the past few days.

(This includes the ride home but not the ride to the start line, the actual audax itself was a frankly dodgy-for-a-200km-event 224km)

*To any american readers, it's a mixture of pork meat and jellied pork fat in shortcrust pastry. About 3" across and absolutely horrendous.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

I bike tour with two rear panniers. I could use some more storage space and I've heard that handlebar/fork bags might impair bike stability.

I'm considering a small triangle between the top tube and seatpost and a small half top bag in the bike's main triangle while still being able to fit and reach my two water bottles.

Could use another 5 l worth of storage so another set of panniers for the front fork would be overkill.

You'll notice fork bags, but a handlebar bag will be fine.

Half frame bags are awesome.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i am such a huge fan of front panniers. if you're going fast you get this cool gyroscope effect that keeps things incredibly stable

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

What are the biggest, best bottles you can fit in regular bottle cages? Anything a liter and above is of interest!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I use 32 oz gatorades. The cages stretch out to hold them but they stay put. If there's anything larger that's not extremely long I'd love to know.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

i say swears online posted:

i am such a huge fan of front panniers. if you're going fast you get this cool gyroscope effect that keeps things incredibly stable

As long as they're balanced and your fork isn't made out of noodles.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sigmund Fraud posted:

What are the biggest, best bottles you can fit in regular bottle cages? Anything a liter and above is of interest!

1 liter magnums made by zefal

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Absolutely nuts in terms of risk and loadout.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQzYViKlMQX/

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

That's loving insane

1 water bottle each in the desert :psyduck:

e: me and my bf did the Caledonia way about 2 weeks ago over 5 days.

Scotlands cool and I really appreciated the panniers over a saddle bag. I think i'll try using them on a proper off road mtb ride next because drat does vertical storage make life nice.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 2, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah this is just "we were lucky we didn't die because random truckers gave us water." Their steps towards weight savings seems like OCD rather than practicality.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

kimbo305 posted:

"However, most of the time they could rely on the generosity of locals for accommodation, food and water."

To me that's the key sentence. I spent over 6 years cycling around the world and it was only at all possible due to that. The kindness of strangers was something that was amazing and that I relied on. Usually not to the extent of not carrying water into a desert. It does raise the question of relying on people in poor countries for food. You definitely get invited in and given food/beds from people who choose to go without so you can have. Humbling and a questionable. But you can't say no when in that position.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Craziest thing in that to me is that even with the extreme measures their bikes and gear were still 40lbs. You can have a very comfortable ultralight setup under 35lbs pretty easily these days, and that would include a full camping setup with sleep pad, tent, bag, etc. Gear tech has come a long way.

EDIT: Only 2 flats though, that's pretty insane!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 2, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

"You definitely get invited in and given food/beds from people who choose to go without so you can have. Humbling and a questionable. But you can't say no when in that position.
I mean if you’re not finding a way to compensate the locals you’re just a straight up rear end in a top hat.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Remarkable but also looks loving miserable. That sleeping bag pic gives strong Chris McCandless / Everest corpse vibes

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

I mean if you’re not finding a way to compensate the locals you’re just a straight up rear end in a top hat.
I've had people turn down money and catch up to me to give it back if I try just leaving it anyway.

I've had best luck giving fruit, but that isn't always practical.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I've had people turn down money and catch up to me to give it back if I try just leaving it anyway.

I've had best luck giving fruit, but that isn't always practical.
Yeah it's gotta look like a present, not a barter token.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

One of the best parts of touring/bikepacking is meeting locals who are absolutely incredulous as to what and how you’re doing or why you’re doing it. That being said I think it’s pretty irresponsible to depend on the kindness of strangers as a viable strategy- I think it’s naive at best and stupid, entitled and dangerous at worst, especially if the local who has to bail your rear end out is stressed for resources as well. Personally I’d never skimp on being self sufficient on water or shelter especially.

When my girlfriend and I were doing a tour around Lake Ponchartrain a number of years ago, we were on Old US 51 in between towns when a dude in a beat to poo poo old pickup starts honking and flashing his brights at us, then swerves to the side of the road and parks a few hundred yards ahead of us. I had no idea what was going on so I had enough time to palm a knife in case this was some guy who was pissed about BICYCLISTS?! ON MY ROADS?!, so when we got up close, there’s this old dude standing outside of the truck with a huge poo poo-eating grin. He immediately reveals he’s shitfaced at like 10 am when he slurs “You two look like you’re having such fun riding your bicycles! I love to ride my bicycle too.” And with that, he reached into a cooler in the bed of his truck, gave us two ice-cold 1L bottled waters, jumped back in his truck and swerved off. It was such a weird and surreal experience to go from “oh poo poo” to “oh nice” in the course of seconds.

That poo poo was cool; less so was some dude telling me unsolicited about how he wanted to hire a couple of Puerto Ricans to kill his ex-wife and throw her body to the gators when he cornered us in a bar later on the tour.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

pantslesswithwolves posted:

One of the best parts of touring/bikepacking is meeting locals who are absolutely incredulous as to what and how you’re doing or why you’re doing it.

I get this a lot on the folding bike it’s the best.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1413245827586400256

Looks like someone got killed by a grizzly bear on the Tour Divide.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1413245827586400256

Looks like someone got killed by a grizzly bear on the Tour Divide.

quote:

The FWP said the bear first approached the campers at around 03:00 local time (09:00 GMT), but initially ran away.

Ms Lokan and her two companions, who were staying in a separate tent, then removed food from their tents and secured them before going back to sleep. But the bear returned shortly afterwards, leading to the fatal attack.

That will do it though it sounds like the bear was already a troublemaker. Pretty awful way to go

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've always wondered if, even locking things up in a bear box, if the stench of cooking and eating at the picnic table would need enough to bring a bear over.

When we toured through grizzly range, every campground had straightforward lock box setups, so it was easy to follow the rules, but it wasn't like I was able to shower all food smells off of me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All I see is some assholes got a woman and a bear killed by not following basic loving steps.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

I've always wondered if, even locking things up in a bear box, if the stench of cooking and eating at the picnic table would need enough to bring a bear over.

When we toured through grizzly range, every campground had straightforward lock box setups, so it was easy to follow the rules, but it wasn't like I was able to shower all food smells off of me.

When I backpacked through Alaska the rule was to cook and everything a couple hundred yards from where you slept, then vigorously soap down your hands before returning to your own camp to sleep. If you got food on clothes they went in the bear bag you hung in the air until you could wash it.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
If I'm wild camping on bike tour I'll have dinner early then ride a few more kilometers and find a place to camp, specifically to avoid this.

I'm astonished people were keeping food in their tents, that's the first thing I was taught as a kid outdoors.

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

Motherfuckers, If it says 55 drive 55.

SimonSays posted:

If I'm wild camping on bike tour I'll have dinner early then ride a few more kilometers and find a place to camp, specifically to avoid this.

I'm astonished people were keeping food in their tents, that's the first thing I was taught as a kid outdoors.

I mean, most people aren't camping in grizzly country most of the time, but yeah that seems like a reasonable thing to do if you are.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

mCpwnage posted:

I mean, most people aren't camping in grizzly country most of the time, but yeah that seems like a reasonable thing to do if you are.

A black bear will happily rip into your tent if you've got food in there, and nobody wants to get woken up with one a foot away from you, tearing into your bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I grew up in Montana in the 70s/80s, even back then people were told to store food away from camp. If you like scary stories “The night of the grizzlies” is a great read before backpacking in grizzly company.