Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Azathoth posted:

Would someone be willing to give me the cliffs notes on McVeigh here? I always assumed he was spook adjacent because of his white supremacist connections but don't know anything really beyond that.

this book is maybe the best not to summarize on the whole list. it is overflowing with concepts and histories well beyond the scope of only mcveigh while simultaneously exploring the development and competition of conspiracy theory

that being said, the poster mdemone (def not spelled like that but I’m guessing) did actually post notes during their reading that are excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah
my crack ping came during childhood

When I was kid I lived close to a Mohawk reserve and there was a famous armed standoff there the Oka crisis. In a nut shell some developers were trying to build a golf course on a Mohawk cemetery.

Anyways, one day two cops in full tactical (in 1990 it wasn't as common as it is now) come to our house and tell my Dad that the Mohawks have mortars and sniper rifles trained on our neighborhood and we should keep the blinds closed, stay in side, be ready to evacuate etc. I'll still remember him thanking them, closing the door and immediately telling me not to believe a word they'd said. That was the moment I radicalized.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Fleetwood posted:

Reading this mental health awareness initiative stuff and it seems like it's meant to convince people that the depression they feel is a reaction to Bad Genes rather than possibly being the result of an atomized, oppressed consumer society where the concept of harboring revolutionary spirit is the true sign of mental illness?

Regular people, celebrities, socialites equating wealth to virtue, achieving it and then finding nothing there– like the father in La Dolce Vita. If the reality they've championed turns out be false and they're unable to imagine another future, blaming hereditary traits offers an outlet which circumvents introspection- like, if the problem is genes, then there's no reason to criticize the systems you participate in. The need to maintain "unchangeability" of consciousness runs parallel to the necessary ossification required to perpetuate elite class control of capital distribution and governance. If I'm connecting it properly, that's pretty unsettling

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Another Bill posted:

When I was kid I lived close to a Mohawk reserve and there was a famous armed standoff there the Oka crisis. In a nut shell some developers were trying to build a golf course on a Mohawk cemetery.

Anyways, one day two cops in full tactical (in 1990 it wasn't as common as it is now) come to our house and tell my Dad that the Mohawks have mortars and sniper rifles trained on our neighborhood and we should keep the blinds closed, stay in side, be ready to evacuate etc. I'll still remember him thanking them, closing the door and immediately telling me not to believe a word they'd said. That was the moment I radicalized.

dads crack-pinged, so what

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Another Bill posted:

pretty badass tbh, a story worth telling and behavior worth repeating

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

mdemone posted:

love that book, O'Neill really captures the helpless feeling of the crack-ping in the last couple chapters when he's obviously at a loss to explain what he's learned.

Yeah, agreed. Especially the bit where he talks about the couple of times he actually spoke with Manson himself, and the realization that Manson is just loving with him. I can't imagine what it would be like to meet someone who could explain everything, isn't going to, and even if they did, could just be lying to mess with your head and you'd never know, all the while laughing at the power they have over you

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

wanna know more about AB's dad now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

plz give it to me mods. Replace my gross JOE tag with it.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Fleetwood posted:

Reading this mental health awareness initiative stuff and it seems like it's meant to convince people that the depression they feel is a reaction to Bad Genes rather than possibly being the result of an atomized, oppressed consumer society where the concept of harboring revolutionary spirit is the true sign of mental illness?

Regular people, celebrities, socialites equating wealth to virtue, achieving it and then finding nothing there– like the father in La Dolce Vita. If the reality they've championed turns out be false and they're unable to imagine another future, blaming hereditary traits offers an outlet which circumvents introspection- like, if the problem is genes, then there's no reason to criticize the systems you participate in. The need to maintain "unchangeability" of consciousness runs parallel to the necessary ossification required to perpetuate elite class control of capital distribution and governance. If I'm connecting it properly, that's pretty unsettling

Following some links from the twitter thread nut posted i ended up finding this summary and an interview for a new book on this topic, Sedated by James Davies. Going to see if I can grab a copy this week.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Fleetwood posted:

great post and def unsettling

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Same

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I thought I was epstein brained until I read chaos, but even most of that bounced off of me. I’ve since come to accept that it’s an ever increasing compound growth chart, and the crack pings are when I adjust my mental Y-axis to see more of the curve. looking forward to laughing at my continued naivete

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

each crack ping is like some CSI dude going " ENHANCE!" and then everything blurry becomes clear and you realize all of your trusted authority figures are abhorrent monsters

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

anyone read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man? it was a decent pinger when I read it mid 2000s but idk if it holds up.

the main cited critic on Wikipedia is this guy, an Etonian and Oxfordian who works for CFR: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Mallaby

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Jul 3, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
feeling generous towards my fellow pinged crackers so i've bought the image, you just have to pay 5bux to make your own avi with it by using the [img] tag in your purchase (make sure to center horizontally and update preview to make sure it looks right)

use this URL:
https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/a6/48/00223167.0011.png

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

MonsieurChoc posted:

same lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

omfg HOOK THE TAG TO MY VEINS

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1410774149287526403?s=20

Sixty thousand... sixty thousand... sixty THOUSAND... sixty thouusand

Eighty-five thousand... eighty-five THOUSAND

It was basically a pedo farm from week 1.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
No one ever molested me, just gave me absolutely dogshit life advice, which if anything is worse.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

No one ever molested me, just gave me absolutely dogshit life advice, which if anything is worse.

okay tiger

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

MonsieurChoc posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

smarxist posted:

feeling generous towards my fellow pinged crackers so i've bought the image, you just have to pay 5bux to make your own avi with it by using the [img] tag in your purchase (make sure to center horizontally and update preview to make sure it looks right)

use this URL:
https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/a6/48/00223167.0011.png

Gonna wait a bit before spending the 5bux, hoping for a mod to take pity on us.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

nomad2020 posted:

It was basically a pedo farm from week 1.

the bsa operates 'adventure bases' in new mexico and the Florida & the us virgin islands

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

the bsa operates 'adventure bases' in new mexico and the Florida & the us virgin islands

between that and Epstein....the virgin islands being a lawless den of sexual villainy against children is a bit too on the nose

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lmao imagine fleeing from a BSA sex dungeon by swimming until exhaustion and washing up on the shores of Little St James

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
for the poster asking about Wendy Painting’s work, she collaborated on a documentary you can find in full on YouTube as well called A Noble Lie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Excelzior posted:

lmao imagine fleeing from a BSA sex dungeon by swimming until exhaustion and washing up on the shores of Little St James

New A24 movie.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Actually, I was never a Tiger I don't think, I was too old.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

*laughs insanely*

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

nut
Jul 30, 2019

more of an lol but

https://twitter.com/hwinkler4real/status/1411441909361373184?s=21

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
*conspiratorial whisper* fonzi's planning an ozymandias. fonzimandias.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

the theme song started playing in my head as soon as i looked at this

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
don't you remember Two Scoops

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

goddamn

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

smarxist posted:

you just have to pay 5bux

I'm gonna stop you right there.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

One of my earliest perspective forming experiences was when I realized the government funds the police but not ambulances, hospitals or the fire department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Eyyyy. *slams a button, dematerializing Dr. Manhattan and my pet lynx*