Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gobblecoque posted:

Are you using the pickpocket mod? If not, install it. Vanilla pickpocketing sucks.

I installed it and drat. Probably going to make a new character just for this. For now I've been dicking around in Vhul trying to figure out the burden of proof.
    I'm pretty sure I've talked to everyone and have found only three rumors:
  • Ienesa Llothil was supposedly stealing punavit. I got this one squared away perfectly by breaking into the house.
  • Seran Dreth is supposedly funneling money in this conspiracy. I broke in. House is clean. Nice books though.
  • Some unnamed agent hangs around a certain place. Haven't been able to find any evidence of this at all.
I think this means that the two Dreths aren't married like I first assumed, and are prob family instead. This makes sense because Vellerin's house only has a twin bed. Seran doesn't live in Vhul and is the Hilaau agent.

I'm 99% sure something is going on here more than the proof I have but I'm at an impasse. There has to be some kind of ledger or more evidence than just this and instead of using a bigly detective brain I'm just going to use the authority of Indoril Ulyn turn over every single house in the goddamn town until I find it.

PS this character is argonian and i'm p pleased with the results of telling the bard he has terrible taste in women and should be looking for a different kind of chick.

---

After some jerking around with MWSE Containers it turns out this is not the mod for me because you can't load the containers onto your guar and that defeats the whole point. The container models are cool looking, but you can't just put whatever you want into whatever container and not being able to put them on the guar is a complete dealbreaker.
    I guess my ideal version of this would be:
  • grab crate or chest off the guar. it has all camp stuff, armor repair stuff, alchemy stuff, and a nested container that has my alchemy ingredients.
  • loot crate, deploy tent so I don't freeze to death and die, put my lights and decor or whatever down, put the ingredient bag down. prob just use the crate as a table.
  • do my armor fixes and throw the calipers wherever, loot the ingredents to combine with the stuff i collected since last camp, brew and then put the ingredients back.
  • Take any other containers off the guar and throw them wherever looks good and shift around whatever loot i might need to. I find myself setting up camp and hanging around for decent amounts of time, so I like to leave a lot of stuff out and unpacked.
Except instead I have a growing mass of random papers and gems and poo poo all mixed in with firewood and tea leaves and rat steaks and my 16 bottles with various coffee and my scrolls and potions and amulets and a couple sets of clothes and it actually kind of sucks. The guar is amazing and lets you have the mobility of traveling super light despite being really well equipped. But now I have collected a series of loadouts that I flip around based on what I'm doing and combined with the sheer mass of the tent stuff it's a mess. Without some form of container system the mobile camp nomad house concept doesn't work too well and I might be better off liquidating everything except the bare minimum and finding some place to dump the souvenirs I like collecting. Go back to using the guar as a mobile backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've installed morrowind again for the first time in a decade. I'm using a pretty vanilla mod list, and it basically works but I have an issue that I can't figure out and its driving me insane. With OpenMW I've installed Graphical Herbalism and confirmed that it works. But when I then install Project Atlas the mushrooms stop behaving properly (all other plants appear to still work fine). Using the GH patches for PA these two mods are supposed to work together, but no matter what I try MO2 is still telling me that GH is losing file conflicts to PA and they are all the mushroom meshes of course. Not sure what else to try at this point, and since I see that these two mods appear together in like every mod list I have to be doing something wrong.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
IDK other than post the lists, the left mod list and the right plugin list?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

can't even get baby's first mod list right lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Move graphic herbalism to be under atlas and see if it self distructs

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

how is ESOs representation of vvardenfell? any depth to it or is it just playing the hits?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
From what little I saw it sucks and you meet vivec at level one and in the city itself there's random workers building the cantons instead of it having been produced by vivec murdering his monstrous child and throwing the carcass and where the body landed the foundations were formed from its bones or w/e. This is the one that jumps out first because i just found that sermon and read it in morrowind.

Also you start in seyda neen in the census and excise building. Despite it being centuries ago before the empire forced the armistice.

And the gameplay is different enough that the only kind of morrowind feel you get whatsoever is that there's big mushroom trees and telvanni towers in a more cartoony style

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

how is ESOs representation of vvardenfell? any depth to it or is it just playing the hits?

It's cute but Clockwork City is the real hook of that set of expansions. I do enjoy seeing Ald'Ruhn history as an Ashlander settlement however. Its all some of the better ESO, if you have a taste for ESO to begin with.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The MW expansion is the least bad bit of ESO in my experience. It's a drat shame so much cool lore is buried in such a boring game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

It's shameless nostalgia pandering but it's good and there's some cool lore

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

From what little I saw it sucks and you meet vivec at level one and in the city itself there's random workers building the cantons instead of it having been produced by vivec murdering his monstrous child and throwing the carcass and where the body landed the foundations were formed from its bones or w/e. This is the one that jumps out first because i just found that sermon and read it in morrowind.

Also you start in seyda neen in the census and excise building. Despite it being centuries ago before the empire forced the armistice.

And the gameplay is different enough that the only kind of morrowind feel you get whatsoever is that there's big mushroom trees and telvanni towers in a more cartoony style

I don't know how to tell you this, but I think Vivec made a lot of that poo poo up

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Move graphic herbalism to be under atlas and see if it self distructs

oh that works. I guess I was following the mod list too closely!

thank you for allowing me to pick mushrooms in peace

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but I think Vivec made a lot of that poo poo up

Unreliable narrators are great. What's not great is using that as an excuse to retcon all your cool lore into boring standard fantasy lore.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Unreliable narrators are great. What's not great is using that as an excuse to retcon all your cool lore into boring standard fantasy lore.
I'm not defending ESO lore, just saying that Vivec is generally kinda full of poo poo. Its why we love him.

edit: I am counting retconning reality as falling under the umbrella of 'kinda full of poo poo'

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 3, 2021

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can anyone go over the instructions for installing Tamriel Rebuilt on the steam goty edition? For whatever reason my eyes keep glazing over modders instructions.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone go over the instructions for installing Tamriel Rebuilt on the steam goty edition? For whatever reason my eyes keep glazing over modders instructions.

Grab TR Data and tamriel rebuilt and install em like you would pretty much any other mod. Only trick is to register TR data by opening up the .ini and finding a section that looks like:

quote:

[Archives]
Archive 0=Tribunal.bsa
Archive 1=Bloodmoon.bsa

and add this

quote:

Archive 2=PT_Data.bsa
Archive 3=TR_Data.bsa
below it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i just did this and i installed MW with steam normally, i've never had problems with it being in program files at all.

then i installed MGE XE and the code patch you gotta remember to point these at where your install is one of these doesn't mention it at first and i kinda forget that part. Do the config for those and run the game to make sure it's got the right resolution and everything.

but the actual part of installing TR I do remember. After the patches to the game itself I installed MO2 and launched it, it should tell you how to make it so that when you click vortex links on nexus it will automatically grab the files and it will be connected to your nexus account.

Then go on nexus and grab Tamriel_Data. When I did this a lot of stuff was packed into "00 Core" and I used the Filetree tab to make it look like this:

Then you need to on here:

and make sure these entries match the bsa files you have:

Then I went back to nexus and grabbed Tamriel Rebuilt. I didn't even bother installing all the ESPs but there's no reason not to even if you don't plan on using them to install preview content. You can use the optional ESPs tab to move the ones you don't use out of the way.

After that I also grabbed the much smaller "Tamriel Rebuilt 21.01 hotfix 1" and installed that. I got a warning saying "hey it looks like this is already installed what do you wanna do with this" and you need to merge it instead of replace. Now my filetree for TR looks like this:

And the top half of my main mods list looks like this:

My archives looks like this:

& the top half of my plugins looks like this:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

install em like you would pretty much any other mod.

I don't really remember how to do that. I tried extracting to the correct folders but my file doesn't look like sniper's.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you're using MO I'm pretty sure you don't need to extract anything manually at all. What does your stuff look like?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If you're using MO I'm pretty sure you don't need to extract anything manually at all. What does your stuff look like?

MO as in Morrowind?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Baron Porkface posted:

MO as in Morrowind?

MO as in Mod Organizer. (Sniper's screenshots are of ModOrganizer2, a program for managing mod installations.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Mod Organizer 2. Basically whenever I gently caress with mods it handles almost everything for me. Plus if you gently caress anything up you won't have to reinstall Morrowind, now you might wanna nuke your install and redo it to make sure there's no weird problems. I was against installing major core mods that I know are going to work good through MO and do them manually, but after messing with it more I don't think it's really worth it these days.

I'll step through like i'm gonna reinstall TR and the first thing you need is Tamriel_Data so I hit the internet earth button. I have MO set up with my nexus account so it takes me there and i go find the mod and go into files and hit "mod manager download." MO sees this and downloads it for me and puts it in my Downloads tab.

When it's downloaded i double click it and get this:

The red message is real and it won't work, I don't know exactly why they pack it this way but assume it's some legacy reason. I grab everything out of 00 Core and drag it to <data files> and now it looks like this:

If you already accidentally installed it without doing this, go into the mod and go to the filetree page and move the stuff up out of 00 core.

---

If you're 100% against using MO2 then you can still make this work but if you wanna add in more bullshit jerkin around style mods eventually it will cause some form of fuckup.

Basically the process is the same, except you put everything from 00 core to data files manually, they would go in here like I have XE Sky Variations:

You obviously need to load in whatever meshes and poo poo a mod has, as well. Merge all that in with the existing files. But then you have to remember your install order and keep track of what should be overwritten and what you don't want to overwrite, because some mods build on others or replace parts of others.

Then you need to go up a level, find Morowind.ini and get to the [Archives] section and add in Archive 2 & 3 underneath your tribunal and bloodmoon bsa files. They gotta match the .bsa files you got off Tamriel_Data. Exactly like in the previous post where i did it in MO.

You need to make sure you run your code patch and mge xe first though because those are actually important and while you can sort of skirt around them and manually adjust some things to make this work it'll be a big pain in the rear end. For a while I was using powershell to modify the registry and datestamps on different files to make it work, but it's inane and just not worth it at all when the code patch fixes a ton of poo poo and mgexe fixes the display resolution way better and mwse lets you get really cool mods like weapon sheathing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
basically a major reason to use MO2 is

MMF Freeway posted:

oh that works. I guess I was following the mod list too closely!

thank you for allowing me to pick mushrooms in peace

easy fix, just reorder the mods, the lower ones will replace upper ones. It's weird though because plugin order is not the same as overall mod order.

But they would have been hosed by manually installing in the wrong order because reinstalling a mod on top of another one again will eventually get you to the point where you have a gently caress ton of important data files and you have no idea what mods provided what files and what versions of what files are the ones you actually need to make it work. Some simple dumbass mistake whoever made the mod list forgot about probably could have been fixed by just reinstalling graphic herbalism but when you start getting more than a tiny handful of mods doing it manually can get completely out of control without you even realizing it.

I was just installing TR and a the enhanced textures and i had all kinds of weird issues like some dude walking around with pants that were scaled wrong so the fabric was 4 inches thick and all these super insane problems.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Im away for the 4th so ill respond on Tuesday.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Im away for the 4th so ill respond on Tuesday.

thx u for yout sercigd

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

K8.0 posted:

There is no cool lore associated with Vivec, and it'd be a crime to give him any. He's a giant loser that killed his friend to become a god, then he moped around for centuries whoring about and writing stories about how awesome he was. It all went to poo poo and he died alone and friendless. That's what makes him an interesting character, how pathetic he is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I don't disagree at all. Vivec is powerful, but much of his power comes from people believing he's so powerful. With everything from the self-aggrandizing "humility" to the incomprehensible babbling with a cadre of "experts" backing him up, Vivec is still probably the best and most realistic implementation of a political or religious leader any game has done. But I don't think Bethesda made those changes to emphasize that Vivec is a manipulative liar of a false god. They made them for the same reason they've made all the similar lore changes - because they're loving lazy and stupid and don't care about the best parts of their games.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I want a 5th era fps starring android talos

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Cyberpunk 5E77

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I really like the idea in Vivec and Mephala that the whole 'Actually the Tribunal betrayed and killed Nerevar' story is just a misunderstood cultural holdover from Chimeric Daedra worship and it's not actually a major revelation, just Dunmer writing edgy fanfic about their three benevolent gods so they more closely conform to those cultural ideals.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vivec is worse than a murderer or a theocratic despot or a traitor to his friend or even a usurper of the blasphemous power of a god.

He's a self-insert fanfic writer.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

K8.0 posted:

I don't disagree at all. Vivec is powerful, but much of his power comes from people believing he's so powerful. With everything from the self-aggrandizing "humility" to the incomprehensible babbling with a cadre of "experts" backing him up, Vivec is still probably the best and most realistic implementation of a political or religious leader any game has done. But I don't think Bethesda made those changes to emphasize that Vivec is a manipulative liar of a false god. They made them for the same reason they've made all the similar lore changes - because they're loving lazy and stupid and don't care about the best parts of their games.

Vivec never did the things he wrote about. At best he changed the past after ascending to godhood, and even that can't be said for sure.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Vivec and Molag Bal were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Vivec never did the things he wrote about. At best he changed the past after ascending to godhood, and even that can't be said for sure.

I think you're missing his point

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

that's not true at all because part of vivec experiences time non-linearly. he changed the past by literally going back and doing all of those things (although not all of the things that he did are rendered literally in the sermons), not just snapping his fingers.

vivec is not a "false god" like the other people who tied themselves to lorkhan. he was for a while, but then he used his powers for mystic contemplation and stumbled onto CHIM, which essentially turned him into a real god, as it does for anybody who understands it. yes his most obvious powers like the ghostfence and holding that asteroid above the city are still lorkhan-fueled, he's not shy about using the "false" power because it lets him do things he couldn't otherwise accomplish, but it's CHIM that basically let him separate a part of himself into a "place outside of time", i.e. aetherius. that piece of vivec is truly immortal, and can affect any point in time past or future because it is external to time.

this is exactly the same method that tiber septim used to become talos, and he seems to have gotten to CHIM through using numidium's reality-warping abilities, which may or may not have also been powered by lorkhan depending on whether you believe the arcturian heresy.

vivec is a really, really well-written character because as you delve deeper and deeper you go from "oh huh a god" to "wow this guy sucks and is pathetic, he's just a charlatan" to "he really is a god even though the rest of the tribunal and dagoth ur aren't"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So I installed Wares and i dunno if I like it. Traders have a lot of new stuff but it's literally random, they'll have items that they obviously could never afford like a street vendor selling adamantium clubs worth 1k, or traders selling literally unique quest items.

Jazerus posted:

that's not true at all because part of vivec experiences time non-linearly. he changed the past by literally going back and doing all of those things (although not all of the things that he did are rendered literally in the sermons), not just snapping his fingers.

vivec is not a "false god" like the other people who tied themselves to lorkhan. he was for a while, but then he used his powers for mystic contemplation and stumbled onto CHIM, which essentially turned him into a real god, as it does for anybody who understands it. yes his most obvious powers like the ghostfence and holding that asteroid above the city are still lorkhan-fueled, he's not shy about using the "false" power because it lets him do things he couldn't otherwise accomplish, but it's CHIM that basically let him separate a part of himself into a "place outside of time", i.e. aetherius. that piece of vivec is truly immortal, and can affect any point in time past or future because it is external to time.

this is exactly the same method that tiber septim used to become talos, and he seems to have gotten to CHIM through using numidium's reality-warping abilities, which may or may not have also been powered by lorkhan depending on whether you believe the arcturian heresy.

vivec is a really, really well-written character because as you delve deeper and deeper you go from "oh huh a god" to "wow this guy sucks and is pathetic, he's just a charlatan" to "he really is a god even though the rest of the tribunal and dagoth ur aren't"

did talos actually have Chim or did he use one of the Other Ways? There's a part where Vivec and Neravar talk about it and there's some number like 6 but the others aren't described. Vivec also warns him about the perils of doing a False Way.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 3, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jazerus posted:

I mean, do we have any corroborating sources other than Vivec himself for how cosmically awesome he is? He IS still an NPC, as much as he'd like not to be, so he can't be THAT outside the Wheel.

Frankly I always thought that he was making all that CHIM stuff up to sound cool and mystical for his cult and was as surprised as anyone when an actual real example of it showed up on his front door.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
unfortunately for vivec the past was changed through chim again

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Talos ascended by stacking souls, a different walking way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Continuity RCP posted:

Talos ascended by stacking souls, a different walking way
A different walking way is why high elves live so long, maybe Talos learned it too