Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

The problem with star trek is you have magic engineers and the tech is so plentiful and easy to get that you really do need a Borg invasion to get them in dire straits .

Voyager wanted to have its futuristic cake and eat it too.

Meanwhile andromeda was easily better at being "high tech ship with limited supplies looking for allies."

Well, before Kevin Sorbo decided he was Jesus, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's a lot in Andromeda to like but Kevin Sorbo really is poo poo. He's not even good *before* he went visibly off the deep end. He's the most boring, tepid, poorly-acted character on the whole show surrounded by people who are at least trying to do something interesting. Dylan Hunt was always doomed to be dull compared to the post-apocalypse gang of misfits but he couldn't even be charming.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nessus posted:

I imagine prohibitions against this might have a root in resolving internal Federation politics... I can absolutely see there having been a bitter argument over what angle they were going to take with some pre-warp civilization between Andorians and Vulcans, and just saying 'we ain't gonna do poo poo, except maybe stealthily avert disasters that would just wipe them out arbitrarily' resolves that particular missionary conflict.

It would also work well if there was some event in early Federation history when the Federation did get involved in trying to improve or uplift a culture and it went disastrously wrong and everybody died.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Ridiculous, but it's fun imagining Avery Brooks reciting all of W's dumb lines.

Avery Brooks doesn't care about black people.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epicurius posted:

It would also work well if there was some event in early Federation history when the Federation did get involved in trying to improve or uplift a culture and it went disastrously wrong and everybody died.

In the TNG episode "First Contact", Picard says that the first contact with the Klingon Empire was "disastrous" and led to "decades of war", and that as a result the Federation started monitoring and surveying civilizations that were close to developing warp drive, presumably in the interests of figuring out how to best manage negotiations with them.

This implies that the Klingons were pre-warp before the Federation came by to say hello (and I recall reading somewhere that this is where Klingons got warp tech in the first place but can't find the source - I'm sure it was non-canon at the time anyway) but that's been retconned by a lot of later sources including the Enterprise premiere. Every time it gets discussed there seems to be another version of the story.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Epicurius posted:

The risk of meddling in a culture is that you become responsible for anything that goes wrong. Whereas if you refuse to save a culture from something that you did not cause, you are a bit cold but not responsible.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In the TNG episode "First Contact", Picard says that the first contact with the Klingon Empire was "disastrous" and led to "decades of war", and that as a result the Federation started monitoring and surveying civilizations that were close to developing warp drive, presumably in the interests of figuring out how to best manage negotiations with them.

This implies that the Klingons were pre-warp before the Federation came by to say hello (and I recall reading somewhere that this is where Klingons got warp tech in the first place but can't find the source - I'm sure it was non-canon at the time anyway) but that's been retconned by a lot of later sources including the Enterprise premiere. Every time it gets discussed there seems to be another version of the story.

Isn't that "First contact with the Klingons was disastrous and led to decades of war" what the Discovery first season was about? (I know Enterprise had previously had first contact with the Klingons, but still....)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epicurius posted:

Isn't that "First contact with the Klingons was disastrous and led to decades of war" what the Discovery first season was about? (I know Enterprise had previously had first contact with the Klingons, but still....)

I haven't bothered to watch Discovery, but the first contact shown in Broken Bow was pretty far from "disastrous" and it's hard to see how infiltration and surveillance would have made things go more smoothly given the premise of the war as I understand it.

It's just an idea that was discarded later. Hardly unusual in Trek as a franchise.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Technowolf posted:

Which would have been interesting if Voyager had gone the whole Battlestar Galactica/Stargate Atlantis route of "stranded with dwindling supplies and resources" route.

But they didn't.

Wasn't that why Ron Moore went so hard on the tone of BSG? Because he was so disappointed by how quickly Voyager pissed all over the conflicts of its premise?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

Wasn't that why Ron Moore went so hard on the tone of BSG? Because he was so disappointed by how quickly Voyager pissed all over the conflicts of its premise?

BSG is definitely a better take on the concept, until it disappears up its own rear end halfway through.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
There are like a billion ways Voyager could have been more interesting than it was, and constantly dwindling resources weren't the only option. They could have actually stuck with the idea of Federation technology being vastly superior to most of the delta quadrant, for one. Instead, that idea just came and went constantly so they could do the typical Star Trek thing of alternating between Voyager being at everyone's mercy and being the most powerful ship in the quadrant on a week-to-week basis. There's plenty of interesting storytelling you can do with a ship that just drastically outclasses everyone around it while still being stuck far from home and tied to Federation ethical considerations.

I dunno. I just rewatched Voyager for the second time ever and it's still sticking with me how bland and just outright boring it is, without even gettting into the wasted potential. Enterprise was a better show and I'll loving die on that hill.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Paradoxish posted:

There are like a billion ways Voyager could have been more interesting than it was, and constantly dwindling resources weren't the only option. They could have actually stuck with the idea of Federation technology being vastly superior to most of the delta quadrant, for one. Instead, that idea just came and went constantly so they could do the typical Star Trek thing of alternating between Voyager being at everyone's mercy and being the most powerful ship in the quadrant on a week-to-week basis. There's plenty of interesting storytelling you can do with a ship that just drastically outclasses everyone around it while still being stuck far from home and tied to Federation ethical considerations.

I dunno. I just rewatched Voyager for the second time ever and it's still sticking with me how bland and just outright boring it is, without even gettting into the wasted potential. Enterprise was a better show and I'll loving die on that hill.

At least Enterprise is trying something. It doesn't know what it's trying, and it fails a lot, and it feels like it's flailing about, but it's *something* even when it's poo poo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK posted:

At least Enterprise is trying something. It doesn't know what it's trying, and it fails a lot, and it feels like it's flailing about, but it's *something* even when it's poo poo.

You also want Enterprise to succeed and feel genuinely happy when they knock it out of the park. Which happens more often as the series goes on. With Voyager, you’re just like...how many more seasons are left of this?

Or at least, that’s how I feel.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

There are like a billion ways Voyager could have been more interesting than it was, and constantly dwindling resources weren't the only option.

The thing I miss from Voyager that BSG does is not the scarcity but the personal dynamics, i.e. half the Voyager crew is freedom fighter space pirates and it almost never mattered.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

The thing I miss from Voyager that BSG does is not the scarcity but the personal dynamics, i.e. half the Voyager crew is freedom fighter space pirates and it almost never mattered.

Chakotay is by far the worst offender here. He literally becomes a living embodiment of Quark's root beer starfleet speech by like the second episode.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://trekmovie.com/2021/06/28/simon-pegg-working-on-galaxy-quest-tv-series/

tl;dr Simon Pegg is trying to make a Galaxy Quest TV show. If it's a straight up show set in the double fictional TV series, isn't that just The Orville? If it's about the world around the Galaxy Quest show... where does it go from the movie?

Anyhow, if Pegg's doing it, I'll watch.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

PerniciousKnid posted:

Wasn't there an episode where, after re-establishing contact with the Alpha Quandrant, they received a Manchurian candidate trigger that turned them back into Maquis?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Computer, show me a picture of ‘too much’.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Computer, a phaser... but it looks like I could kill God with it. And like a paid $500 for it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

That thing is hideous. Why does it have Pike’s pistol barrel and tricorder data discs?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

"Enterprise, what we got back...didn't live long...fortunately."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The ergonomics on that look terrible. I don't think there's any room in the triggerguard to stick a finger on the trigger, but it probably doesn't matter because that looks more like a dial anyways.

Star Trek prop designers are really dismayed that the ultimate starfleet weapon is a lil' remote control thing and just desperately want an excuse to put together amped-up versions.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
fuckin ugh that thing is gross

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Christ on a cracker! What's wrong with the actual phaser rifle?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

Christ on a cracker! What's wrong with the actual phaser rifle?

The original TOS rifle is also ugly as sin.

I kinda hate the idea of phaser rifles in general though. I get the upgrade from the little handheld remotes in TOS and TNG to actual pistol-grip versions for ergonomics and accuracy, but what exactly does a rifle format get you? A larger battery? Trek has a really bad track record for rifles, too. The original chunky TNG phaser rifle looks awful and the big weird handled Voyager one is possibly even worse. The only good one from that era is the First Contact design that smoothed out the edges of the TNG design.

I do remember the MACO rifles on Enterprise looking decent, and the ones on Discovery are okay.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The original TOS rifle is also ugly as sin.

I kinda hate the idea of phaser rifles in general though. I get the upgrade from the little handheld remotes in TOS and TNG to actual pistol-grip versions for ergonomics and accuracy, but what exactly does a rifle format get you? A larger battery? Trek has a really bad track record for rifles, too. The original chunky TNG phaser rifle looks awful and the big weird handled Voyager one is possibly even worse. The only good one from that era is the First Contact design that smoothed out the edges of the TNG design.

I do remember the MACO rifles on Enterprise looking decent, and the ones on Discovery are okay.
It looks like a rifle, which is more military and tactical and logically speaking more powerful as well. The only way it could be more powerfuller and tacticaller is if it also shot phaser bullets and the exact nerd-rear end details of those phaser bullets mattered.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doesn't the phaser rifle Kira shows off in DS9 have all sorts of ludicrious bells and whistles that get in the way of it being just a normal gun?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Never understood the point of a phaser rifle when the handheld ones can easily kill and Trek’s infantry tactics appear to be “run directly across open terrain toward an enemy in cover and concealment”

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
phasers are tools

you need the right tool for the right job

sometimes its a big job

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Never understood the point of a phaser rifle when the handheld ones can easily kill and Trek’s infantry tactics appear to be “run directly across open terrain toward an enemy in cover and concealment”

Phaser 2 is more powerful than Phaser 1.

iirc the reason why TNG went from the tiny phasers at the very beginning to the slightly bigger ones with the handle was because the tiny ones didn’t show up well on camera.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Doesn't the phaser rifle Kira shows off in DS9 have all sorts of ludicrious bells and whistles that get in the way of it being just a normal gun?

It wasn't so much they got in the way as they weren't great when you had to upkeep them in the field for years straight as part of a guerrilla movement.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

Phaser 2 is more powerful than Phaser 1.

iirc the reason why TNG went from the tiny phasers at the very beginning to the slightly bigger ones with the handle was because the tiny ones didn’t show up well on camera.

Those little clicker things look like the most impossible to aim accurately aim weapon ever

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thank you for also reminding me of the effects guy who had to try his best not to draw a Romulan disruptor beam aimed at Crusher’s boobs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Seemlar posted:

Those little clicker things look like the most impossible to aim accurately aim weapon ever

You know those tricks to get your key fob to work at range to unlock your car? They all work here. Point the phaser upwards into your jaw and open your mouth

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
You want a real laser rifle? Lost in Space has you covered.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Seemlar posted:

They've got an AI with aim assist in them

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

multijoe posted:

"Now hold very still while I cut the alien parasite off your leg" <phaser auto-aim corrects and shoots them in the heart>

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

multijoe posted:

I just stunned my whole contacts list

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The phasers just became sentient and is writing poetry in the sand. "It is quite obscene Captain "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Star Trek phaser designs all look bad and the phaser rifles are literally the least stupid design in every series, even TOS and Voyager. They're still really stupid, though.