Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
From that, he's just wilfully misinterpreting them to distort their views. It's not even an argument, it's just someone dicking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kennel posted:

Here's a sample (Paul is the respondent):

from page 353

I'd say it's pretty clearly bad faith argumentation, but from what I gather Topelius isn't exactly sympathetic towards the professors and seems to satirize the academic world (he himself was a professor).

little prick is lucky his smart rear end didn’t get expelled

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Never work the the man, Sluggo

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

SubNat posted:

Moominwinter

https://twitter.com/RebeccaRukeyser/status/1410534052310962178?s=20

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 20, 1946)

Genseric was king of the Vandals for the middle part of the fifth century. When he became king his people lived mostly in what is now Spain, but he abandoned the peninsula in favor of conquering a big chunk of the African coast, the Balearic Islands, Sardinia, and Corsica. The Vandals also intermittently controlled Sicily, and were the first breakaway kingdom to be accepted officially as an independent kingdom by the waning western Roman authorities.

You may remember when the Roman emperor Valentinian III appeared earlier in Prince Valiant. He was actually in the middle of trying to marry his daughter into Genseric's family when he was assassinated. I mentioned at that time that his usurper, Petronius Maximus, was only emperor for a few months, and this is why - Genseric considered the assassination to have voided his treaty with the Romans, and attacked the city in response to a request from Valentinian's widow. Over the next few strips we will see the results play out: the Pope will fail in his attempts to negotiate, Maximus will be stoned to death, and the Vandals will strip the city of its wealth so thoroughly that we get a word from it.

Oh, and Valiant and Aleta will get married. :kimchi: This dates Val's wedding to early-to-mid June, 455.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Oct 31-Nov 1, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 26-29, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Happy Halloween everybody!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Two things I love about this:

1. Val learned gently caress all from Gawain about romance during their travels
2. Sacking Rome as a wedding reception is metal as gently caress

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Medenmath posted:

I'm digging Val's kicky beret in panel 2.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Of course Kevin still refuses to put on a shirt.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/2/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 10/14-16/46

Brenda is just the worst at this isn't she?

Smokey Stover 1/25/42

Richard's Poor Almanac

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

They can do that?

Mark Trail

So they skipped answering how to get the feral hogs to stop and get them back on the truck to take away.

Mary Worth

What a great week this has been! :allears:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I'm sure it's possible to shield her from most of that in the contract with the publisher. Probably pretty easy, actually.

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

As much as I hate everyone in this arc, I respect Daphne for not letting herself fall into work she doesn't want to do for the sake of ~a boy~. (which means that I'm going to be extra mad if she changes her mind for True Love)

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Cats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Isn't that the result she was looking for? How is that a hard lesson that she's learning this morning? Wasn't she there when the hogs were loving things up?

Also that's an awfully strange roundabout there off to the side of the road. I sometimes get the feeling that Jules uses words and phrases without quite knowing what they mean.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think the implication between yesterday's strip and today's is that Cherry just wanted the butterfly bushes wrecked a bit but the hogs destroyed everything else too.

No that doesn't make any sense, but it's the only thing I can think of that comes close to making sense.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Good news! We're going to go through every single moment of it again tomorrow.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm trying to work out how that roundabout is supposed to work and so far I haven't gotten any farther than picturing no less than three completely different but equally catastrophic traffic accidents

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Orion and Scorpius are on opposite sides of the celestial sphere and so they're never both in the sky at the same time. In fact, the scorpion is supposed to be the one that killed Orion in the original myth, so Orion always stays as far away from it as he can.

I hope you've enjoyed this moment of Pedantic Astronomy™!

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm trying to work out how that roundabout is supposed to work and so far I haven't gotten any farther than picturing no less than three completely different but equally catastrophic traffic accidents
In the third picture it kinda looks like the road does a horizontal loop de loop.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I would not gently caress around with that girl.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I hope Sunday is just Mary coming off the top rope on everybody

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

EBB posted:

I hope Sunday is just Mary coming off the top rope on everybody
Think bigger.

Think drunken Wilbur charging in.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I would not gently caress around with that girl.

That's the exact outfit Veruca Salt is wearing in Willy Wonka. Coincidence, or... ?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EBB posted:

Two things I love about this:

1. Val learned gently caress all from Gawain about romance during their travels
2. Sacking Rome as a wedding reception is metal as gently caress

Don'cha hate when the venue you want is already booked?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So how did you spend your honey moon?
Oh you know, just sacking Rome.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Poil posted:

In the third picture it kinda looks like the road does a horizontal loop de loop.
Nonfunctional loop attached to one lane is more or less the best case scenario here.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It’s just two roads connected like the Green Lantern symbol idk why this is so hard.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nonfunctional loop attached to one lane is more or less the best case scenario here.
Sometimes it's just too much of a pain to check the rear view mirror so you gotta do a quick 360 drift.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Far more interesting than the fact that I called it is the fact that I called it in May. Christ, even for a soap strip this is plodding.

While I risk starting another "which way do sharps go into the silverware basket in the dishwasher" debate, I feel compelled to point out that I read somewhere that you should wash your socks inside out so as to better remove your foot funk. I don't actually follow this advice (I can't be bothered to pay any attention at all to what way my socks are when I throw them in the machine), but it's a thing I read. Take it with however much salt you deem appropriate. At the very least, feel more free from guilt if you also don't bother with pre-wash sock configuration.
Or you're me and you never care what combination of inside out and outside in your socks are, ever.
Do as I do and joy will be the whole of thine law.

SubNat posted:

Moominwinter

Another set of problems solved with the Moomin solution of genially not giving a gently caress.

Like so. Fuckin' A, Tove, you were good at who you were.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Died! (July 22, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 29, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (August 21, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (January 22, 1936)

Mopsy (March 23, 1937)

Up Front (May 4, 1944)

Dark Laughter (April 19, 1947)

“No … I ain’t got no statement to make for The Courier or nobody else. But you can say in your society news that as far as the Jolly Pals Social Club is concerned, Bootsie’s got to go!”

Those Were the Days (February 25, 1953)

Wee Pals (October 12, 1965)

Dogbert January 31, 1966

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Anyone got "A History of Paint" book open and ready? Why was Old Tyme painting such a chore?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Probably on account of how painting took multiple layers and coats of materials to protect the wood and the paint itself and thanks to advances in chemistry you now can just put down a cover coat that has everything blended in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What I'm wondering is why he's bitching about it

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Haifisch posted:

I think the implication between yesterday's strip and today's is that Cherry just wanted the butterfly bushes wrecked a bit but the hogs destroyed everything else too.

No that doesn't make any sense, but it's the only thing I can think of that comes close to making sense.

I assumed that the hogs didn't stop at the butterfly bushes and moved on to a whole other roundabout, under the assumption that Sunny Soleil's work meant that roundabout wasn't technically Cherry's anymore.

Or... maybe...not? I have the type of storytelling brain that tries to plug all the holes.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (November 20, 1933)

Peanuts (July 5-6, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

So yeah, joy tempered by dread of unseen forces in the background, presumably followed by a reveal that lands like a wet fart.

Old-White-Guy's-Petty-Grievanceshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Meanwhile, it's Thimble Theater, and here's where events in the real world take a turn at the drawing board. At the end of 1937, Segar was hospitalized with ailments that would ensure he didn't see the end of 1938. So if the Jeep looks seriously off-model in that first strip, that's because at some point in this story the art was taken over by Doc Winner, a member of the King Features bullpen since 1918. Doc would be one of the post-Segar Popeye artists.

And here's where I start worrying about the future (of posting Thimble Theater), mainly because there's a longstanding tradition with the Popeye publishers that the reprints end when Segar's signature stops showing up on the strips...which places an abrupt cutoff point right in the middle of a fairly interesting story. It's still quite a way's off until we see if CK follows the tradition, but dammit, these nails won't bite themselves.

(February 1-2, 1938)

Out Our Way (December 10-12, 1936; spoilered for the usual reasons.)

And that's where I stop for the moment.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 4, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Think of it more as the birth of observational humour.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Anyone got "A History of Paint" book open and ready? Why was Old Tyme painting such a chore?

I'd guess the ease of "modern" painting is down to the increasing use of latex paint post WWII -- latex is much easier to work with than the older oil-based paints.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

These two should just get a room already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Greg is afraid to draw breasts.