Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love how everyone says Dead and Loving It is his worst movie when Life Stinks exists and nobody even remembers it.

Dead and Loving It is actually good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

less so than back to the future

This is news to me.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Libyans, Marty!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Nah ghostbusters is still really good and holds up well, even if it is bald facedly right wing (less so than back to the future, but still there)

I've never seen BttF ( I know I really need to). Hows it right wing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the 'ghostbusters is right wing' thing is mainly a thing right wing people say to pretend they have any media that isn't just Kevin Sorbo screaming about antifa or whatever. It's a little conservative yea but unless you literally believe having the government be an antagonistic force is inherently right wing (it's...not...at all...) you're really stretching to give it any kind of politics deeper than a surface level 'let me just do what I want'.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jamie Faith posted:

I've never seen BttF ( I know I really need to). Hows it right wing?

It’s been written about much more eloquently by people with more time than me, but BttF has a very prominent Reaganoid streak to its politics which affects it in many ways, from the aforementioned insanely racist Libyan terrorist caricatures to how marty is rewarded for his actions by having his family uplifted to extreme, superficial, material privilege.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sexpig by night posted:

the 'ghostbusters is right wing' thing is mainly a thing right wing people say to pretend they have any media that isn't just Kevin Sorbo screaming about antifa or whatever. It's a little conservative yea but unless you literally believe having the government be an antagonistic force is inherently right wing (it's...not...at all...) you're really stretching to give it any kind of politics deeper than a surface level 'let me just do what I want'.

The EPA is the explicit villain and portrayed as an overzealous madman who is actually the cause of the problems.

Most of that era of snl are all incredibly reactionary.

Hell, Farley showed up on the campaign tra of Newt Gingrich to support him.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 3, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you can't just call anything consumerist and racist right wing, though. I don't think 'right wing' is the right word for it at all. Like, there's nothing 'right wing' about 'actually in our universe a white guy invented rock and roll and it was stolen by a black guy' it's just a dumb racist thing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The EPA is the explicit villain and portrayed as an overzealous madman who is actually the cause of the problems.

Most of that era of snl are all incredibly reactionary.

Hell, Farley showed up on the campaign tra of Newt Gingrich to support him.

I mean 'SNL is an incredibly regressive force both in comedy and politics' is an entirely different topic than 'an EPA guy was the bad guy in this movie about ghosts ergo it's a right wing movie'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sexpig by night posted:

you can't just call anything consumerist and racist right wing, though. I don't think 'right wing' is the right word for it at all. Like, there's nothing 'right wing' about 'actually in our universe a white guy invented rock and roll and it was stolen by a black guy' it's just a dumb racist thing

I mean the EPA and other government bureaucrats being pathetic and pointless agencies that just get in the way of good proper free market business and hurt small businesses is the actual text of Ghostbusters and The most classic of right wing dogma. Ita a fun movie but it's incredibly right wing.

And its not a separate discussion because those known reactionary figures from SNL are a big part of who wrote Ghostbusters.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

"heroic small businesses are being Destroyed by Regulations" is like THE right-libertarian mating call

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the funniest joke in ghostbusters is when they insult a man by saying he doesn't have a penis

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ghostbusters is anti-institution not anti-government only, though. The entire point is even long before the EPA is a villain the core ghostbusters are rejected by scientific institutions and the whole focus of their actions is standing up for the 'little guys' of NYC over anything else (and making money). The government isn't uniquely treated as some kind of special baddie, they fill the same role as crusty old deans do in movies like Animal House or the various snobs of Caddyshack and such. It's a populist message, sure, but that's not inherently right or left wing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The thing about the epa in ghostbusters isn’t just that they gently caress everything up, its that their very existence, and the mere idea that the ghostbusters should have to answer to anyone or obey any rules about their conduct, is portrayed as bad within the movie. That’s what shapes the movie towards being right wing, not just the epa being the villains.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bleck posted:

the funniest joke in ghostbusters is when they insult a man by saying he doesn't have a penis

It's true your honor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The thing about the epa in ghostbusters isn’t just that they gently caress everything up, its that their very existence, and the mere idea that the ghostbusters should have to answer to anyone or obey any rules about their conduct, is portrayed as bad within the movie. That’s what shapes the movie towards being right wing, not just the epa being the villains.

but, and especially in that era of comedy, this isn't an inherently government thing. Institutions are portrayed as inherently bad, the golf course in caddyshack is inherently bad, the dean is inherently bad in college movies, these aren't unique value judgements it's a general 'gently caress people telling you what to do'

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The Good Joke in Ghostbusters is Dan Akroyd talking about switching to the private sector.

"You don't know what its like in the private sector. They expect results."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also this is a random post but since I'm a dummy that's never bought plat. :v:

Hey Jamie, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 is on a great big sale (18, down from 60 normal, or 30 for the complete with 9 more characters) if Warriors games are something you like at all, game's great, 3 was real good too and 4's even better for the most part, 3's story mode started from the very start and went up to Dressrosa, which was ongoing at the time, so they did a game-unique playing out of and ending of the arc, 4 starts at Alabasta and goes to Wano, so they did the same here which is cool too.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

Hey Jamie, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 is on a great big sale (18, down from 60 normal, or 30 for the complete with 9 more characters) if Warriors games are something you like at all, game's great, 3 was real good too and 4's even better for the most part, 3's story mode started from the very start and went up to Dressrosa, which was ongoing at the time, so they did a game-unique playing out of and ending of the arc, 4 starts at Alabasta and goes to Wano, so they did the same here which is cool too.

Aw thanks for the tip!!! :unsmith: Yeah I love the Pirate Warriors series! PW2 is my favorite game of all time. I did just buy 3 (for ps4) in a sale a couple of months ago. Sadly, I'm broke at the moment so I cant get PW4 right now but thanks anyway!

Also if you have Discord, you're free to join us in the Lurkers Lounge server anytime =)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grondoth posted:

The phone gag in Top Secret is so goddamn good

The visual humor in those movies was seriously top notch.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 3, 2021

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

PW4 doesnt even have Skypiea, trash

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

PW4 doesnt even have Skypiea, trash

It does have Kikunojo, Kin'emon and Oden though, who are fun stuff.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I literally just rewatched Spaceballs for the first time in like 20 years because of this thread. It's still fantastic :colbert:

The entire ludicrous speed scene is definitely the funniest part since it's just joke after joke in rapid succession, but it's not like the rest of it is dry and boring or anything. It's not perfect by any means, but it's not a contender for Mel Brooks' worst movie or anything silly like that.

Jamie Faith posted:

Aw thanks for the tip!!! :unsmith: Yeah I love the Pirate Warriors series! PW2 is my favorite game of all time. I did just buy 3 (for ps4) in a sale a couple of months ago. Sadly, I'm broke at the moment so I cant get PW4 right now but thanks anyway!

Also if you have Discord, you're free to join us in the Lurkers Lounge server anytime =)

Well the good news there is that PW3 is probably easily the best game in the series, but I'd still put PW4 as a strong second place personally. Worth picking up when you can.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

It does have Kikunojo, Kin'emon and Oden though, who are fun stuff.

Ok, fair

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

Well the good news there is that PW3 is probably easily the best game in the series, but I'd still put PW4 as a strong second place personally. Worth picking up when you can.

Yeah, PW3 is super solid, 4's been a lot of fun but it does have a chunk of these little nitpicks that bug me, it's the same thing in overall play, but I miss the island map progression from 3 in the mission mode compared to the like, region, big list version they went with in 4. Losing a couple of the fun playables in 3 is a shame too, Enel and Garp being standouts for me, Enel I guess if they're skipping his relevant part but he was a lot of fun for being so insanely busted, but Garp still shows up for instance, but then they also gave you some even more crazy busted options especially like Kaido and Big Mom. Though stuff like the destructible environments and stuff are really cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

Ghostbusters is anti-institution not anti-government only, though. The entire point is even long before the EPA is a villain the core ghostbusters are rejected by scientific institutions and the whole focus of their actions is standing up for the 'little guys' of NYC over anything else (and making money). The government isn't uniquely treated as some kind of special baddie, they fill the same role as crusty old deans do in movies like Animal House or the various snobs of Caddyshack and such. It's a populist message, sure, but that's not inherently right or left wing.

Yeah. It's not so much that the EPA is bad but Walter Peck is a (has no) dick who doesn't know what he's talking about. He even expressly overrules the ConEd guy's objection.

If you want to go to Defcon 1 on Ghosbusters talk you have to skip right to 'Venkman is a date rapist' because he had Thorazine available when it's more likely that Aykroyd didn't realize psychologists couldn't prescribe drugs like psychiatrists can. (This is an entirely separate conversation from 'is Venkman a tired archetype that aged very poorly' and the answer there is yes.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. It's not so much that the EPA is bad but Walter Peck is a (has no) dick who doesn't know what he's talking about. He even expressly overrules the ConEd guy's objection.

If you want to go to Defcon 1 on Ghosbusters talk you have to skip right to 'Venkman is a date rapist' because he had Thorazine available when it's more likely that Aykroyd didn't realize psychologists couldn't prescribe drugs like psychiatrists can. (This is an entirely separate conversation from 'is Venkman a tired archetype that aged very poorly' and the answer there is yes.)

yea if you wanna talk about things that aged poorly we for sure can do that, but yea I think it's a bit...reactionary in itself to basically validate right wing talking points that boil down to 'anti-establishment views are inherently reactionary'. In a complete isolation yea it's easy to see a right wing message (and it is why morons like Rubin and Shapiro and all still hold it up as a 'conservative movie') but when you realize that Peck is just more a storytelling archetype than anything it becomes more murky. He fills the same roles as everyone from a ski bully to a dean to a lovely business executive, he's the rear end in a top hat who looks down on the slobs and demands everyone acknowledge his superiority. Him being a government agent doesn't matter, that's a means to an end, he'd be the same character if he was their landlord trying to get them kicked out or just some random rich busybody.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

It’s been written about much more eloquently by people with more time than me, but BttF has a very prominent Reaganoid streak to its politics which affects it in many ways, from the aforementioned insanely racist Libyan terrorist caricatures to how marty is rewarded for his actions by having his family uplifted to extreme, superficial, material privilege.
The poo poo they pulled with Crispin glover is worth noting too, purportedly they didn't want him in the second movie onward because he clashed with them over the ending of the first movie, arguing that Marty just appreciating his life and family would be a stronger ending than him getting a bunch of money and new car like he just won a tv gameshow.

quote:

Bearing little resemblance to Crispin Glover, Weissman received heavy makeup and facial prosthetics in order to portray George McFly, then was filmed hanging upside-down in an anti-gravity Ortho-lev in the McFly residence in 2015.

Weissman also imitated Glover's voice in portraying George. However, he was not well received by the cast, who barely even bothered to learn his name — for example, Lea Thompson referred to him as "the guy playing Crispin".[1] Subsequently, Glover filed a lawsuit against Universal for unauthorized use of his likeness, as well as their having reused footage of him from Back to the Future without either his permission or his receiving any payment. A settlement resulted in a change in the rules of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) to prohibit its members from unauthorized mimicking of other SAG members

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/clarkesworld/status/1410963185977397256

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Another reason why Part 2 is weaker than BTTF Parts 1 and 3.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The EPA in Ghostbusters is just another take on the slobs vs. snobs dynamic that really permeated the culture from the 70s through the 90s (and sadly still informs a lot of boomer ideology to this day). The biggest problem with that dynamic is that while it was fine(ish) to see yourselves as the underdogs who can stick it to the man when you are a teenager or in your early 20s, the longer you hold on to that attitude the more toxic it gets (especially if you are part of the majority who has the most cultural power).

And really, the undisputed king of reactionary 80s content is John Hughes. Trying to watch any of his pre-Home Alone material today is just a parade of "Oof"s.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anitubers talk about the best anime of the season, Odd Taxi. Nice that it's getting such exposure when it initially wasn't doing so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPD4ylYj7nc&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrvKhnSdbks&hd=1

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostbusters expresses the spirit of the age and the worldview of the filmmakers, which was what a majority of Americans believed in 1983. It’s not actively attempting to convince you of anything like South Park does. Whether that’s better or worse, I don’t know.

1983 also gave us Nightmare on Elm Street, which does actively attempt to convince you that white flight and the suburbs are evil, so it’s not like everybody making movies was into what Reagan was selling.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

1983 also gave us Nightmare on Elm Street, which does actively attempt to convince you that white flight and the suburbs are evil, so it’s not like everybody making movies was into what Reagan was selling.

At ooooone time you could almost have read an anti-vigilante idea in the original Nightmare on Elm Street as well, though I'm trying to remember since it's been a while, was it more ambiguous that Freddy actually did it or was it straightforward he was in fact a kid killer even in 1, cause I know the dumb remake went entirely in on him being a no-argument kiddy fiddler.

Actually dammit, I remembered right after posting that Freddy got off on a technicality in 1, then got torched, welp.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Captain Invictus posted:

anitubers talk about the best anime of the season, Odd Taxi. Nice that it's getting such exposure when it initially wasn't doing so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPD4ylYj7nc&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrvKhnSdbks&hd=1

I’m only seeing links and I’d rather not click on something blind, so what youtubers are you talking? Geoff Thew? Gigguk? Some other, third person?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m only seeing links and I’d rather not click on something blind, so what youtubers are you talking? Geoff Thew? Gigguk? Some other, third person?

Mother's Basement and Gigguk.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

At ooooone time you could almost have read an anti-vigilante idea in the original Nightmare on Elm Street as well, though I'm trying to remember since it's been a while, was it more ambiguous that Freddy actually did it or was it straightforward he was in fact a kid killer even in 1, cause I know the dumb remake went entirely in on him being a no-argument kiddy fiddler.

Actually dammit, I remembered right after posting that Freddy got off on a technicality in 1, then got torched, welp.

The parents are bad and wrong and everything is their fault, but Freddy gives off pretty huge sex offender vibes, like when his hand pops up in the tub or when he sticks his tongue out of the phone, so I don’t think there’s a very convincing argument to make that he was innocent. Also there’s that pre-credit sequence in a different aspect ratio where we see him make the glove.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

??

Freddy in the original film is/was a child killer. He was caught and then let off with a technicality, so the parents killed him themself.

He came back for revenge on their kids. He makes the glove in the opening scene whatever aspect ratio you see it in lol.

The remake is the one where it’s ambiguous until it isn’t and he isn’t a killer of kids but a straight pedo. The glove isn’t made and just appears when he is a dream demon

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The argument for him being innocent is that we only know the story through John Saxon, who is unreliable, but it’s not a good argument and is invalidated by Freddy’s behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The remake is the one where it’s ambiguous until it isn’t and he isn’t a killer of kids but a straight pedo. The glove isn’t made and just appears when he is a dream demon

Ah yeah, that always felt like a missed opportunity to me, like it still wouldn't make him sympathetic, still being a horrible dream demon, but if he'd been wrongly torched by parents jumping ahead of the law, then coming back to torment them over it, it could've been a cool twist for a remake.