Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of collaborators, Chinese students in Australia are still being watched by Chinese agents/fascist lickspittles and their families harassed back home and universities and the government are doing nothing to stop it.

quote:

Human Rights Watch says it has “verified three cases of students in which the police in China visited or asked to meet with their families regarding the student’s activities in Australia”.

“The Chinese authorities threatened one student with jail after the student opened a Twitter account while studying in Australia and posted pro-democracy messages,” Human Rights Watch says in a statement accompanying the release of the report on Wednesday.

“Another student, who expressed support for democracy in front of classmates in Australia, has since had their passport confiscated by Chinese authorities upon returning home.”

More from the ABC:

Human Rights Watch reveals harassment, surveillance of Chinese students studying in Australia

quote:

As Bonnie Wong (ed: not her real name) watched a pro-democracy protest at the University of Queensland in mid-2019, she noticed some people loitering off to the side.The student did not recognise them, but their presence triggered both curiosity and fear.

"They weren't participating in a protest, but just taking pictures of us," she said.

Bonnie hails from Hong Kong, and had been instrumental in helping to organise the rally.

The demands at the protest for Beijing to drop its highly contentious national security law, planned for the semi-autonomous city, attracted the attention of people she suspected to be pro-China activists.

"They actually send those pictures online to Chinese social media, for example Weibo, to publicly defame us and try to expose our identities," she said.

"[That] will put us at risk, to say that we are actually separators, and we are challenging the security or the national security of China, which is definitely not the case.

My last stint in academia was in the early 2000s and it was happening even then. The worst part is that it wasn't even people who weren't attending university most of the time, but other students who wanted to show how loyal and ready to root out badthink they were through performative acts of harassment and intimidation against students who thought democracy and freedom were worthwhile ideals.

Surprising no one, I'm sure, most were also male students stalking young women for being insufficiently "pure" as either women or Chinese citizens because toxic masculinity is universal, sadly.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, it's definitely something to be nervous about, but it seems like if you organize a protest that's supposed to send a message to China, it's kind of a success if you get proof that China is definitely listening?

Although I guess you'd also probably want other countries of the world to be listening and think about sanctions.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That is just some chilling, 1984-esq poo poo. Ugh.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Surprising no one, I'm sure, most were also male students stalking young women for being insufficiently "pure" as either women or Chinese citizens because toxic masculinity is universal, sadly.

oh god

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's so hosed up and the universities don't want to get involved because (a) it's politics and (b) so many of the students here are from overseas and are the only reason most universities haven't gone tits up after the past few conservative governments slashed their funding to the bone.

We don't have "college football" to rake in billions, but we do have full fee paying overseas students.

So, universities worry that, if they act against Chinese state agents and creepy failsons, then China might just ban their students from coming here. And, given that over a third of all our international students comes from China, that would be a huge hit to their income.

So what if a few hundred/thousand suffer? Our universities get to pretend to be above it all, while raking in the cash.

Video of Australian University Chancellors hearing the plight of democracy activists having their families' lives destroyed back home while saying there is nothing they can possibly do about it:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 1, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's so hosed up and the universities don't want to get involved because (a) it's politics and (b) so many of the students here are from overseas and are the only reason most universities haven't gone tits up after the past few conservative governments slashed their funding to the bone.

We don't have "college football" to rake in billions, but we do have full fee paying overseas students.

So, universities worry that, if they act against Chinese state agents and creepy failsons, then China might just ban their students from coming here. And, given that over a third of all our international students comes from China, that would be a huge hit to their income.

So what if a few hundred/thousand suffer? Our universities get to pretend to be above it all, while raking in the cash.

Video of Australian University Chancellors hearing the plight of democracy activists having their families' lives destroyed back home while saying there is nothing they can possibly do about it:

I'm going to guess that a not insignificant part of this is also the "obviously you are racist against the Glorious People's Republic" sword hanging over them as well. It's not like China is reluctant to cart out that old chestnut whenever anyone dares criticize them.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

College football isn't actually a money-maker for American universities as a whole. It can bring in huge revenues, but those are almost entirely spent on the football program itself (new stadiums/training facilities, higher salaries for coaches, etc) with maybe a little bit of subsidy to lower-profile sports. In any given year only maybe a dozen or two schools are making a profit from their football programs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ponsonby Britt posted:

College football isn't actually a money-maker for American universities as a whole. It can bring in huge revenues, but those are almost entirely spent on the football program itself (new stadiums/training facilities, higher salaries for coaches, etc) with maybe a little bit of subsidy to lower-profile sports. In any given year only maybe a dozen or two schools are making a profit from their football programs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

this is correct

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Of course the money goes to the people running the program. What would be the point of running that grift, if money went to other people and funded education instead?

[edit] welp, did not actually notice this was the China thread when going through my tabs.

Munin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 2, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Cool that talking about America in the China thread is apparently fine and definitely relevant now, on this topic

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

ThomasPaine posted:

Cool that talking about America in the China thread is apparently fine and definitely relevant now, on this topic

Ughhh whataboutism much?!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Here's some news that's not about America.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1410560670739976194

Sounds bad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Putin 2.0 sure seems to have decided what role he's going to play for the rest of his life.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sounds bad.

It's cute that they still put the little hammer and sickle, and dress in the Mao suit. Capitalism with Communist characteristics.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

How are u posted:

the Mao suit

who wore it best, vote now!

and everyone voted so hard that the palace burned down it resulted in a civil war

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mao was handsomer that's just facts

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sounds bad.

Imagine throwing this babytime tantrum publicly and threatening to invade a peaceful neighbor when your country is on the verge of demographic crisis, the entire domestic economy is geared towards selling people their third uninhabitable condo, and there is barely enough potable water to go around today let alone in five years.

Truly America 2.0.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
There must be a rulebook for thin-skinned dictators somewhere given how closely they all follow the same script.

poo poo's gonna suck for a whole lot of innocent people if Pooh Bear decides to really bring the boot down*.

* further than he already has, I mean.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 3, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Very niche question but what exactly is stopping China setting up decent clean water supplies, especially in the bigger cities? They certainly have the resources to do it and seem pretty keen on big infrastructure projects as a rule.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Who gives a poo poo?

Everyone that matters has clean water.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OK but cynically motivated or not you can hardly deny that the Chinese govt has put a lot of resources into poverty alleviation etc and other big infrastructure projects, so a big clean water initiative would be very on brand even if it was primarily done as a PR move

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ThomasPaine posted:

OK but cynically motivated or not you can hardly deny that the Chinese govt has put a lot of resources into poverty alleviation etc and other big infrastructure projects, so a big clean water initiative would be very on brand even if it was primarily done as a PR move

Sure I can, compared to what they could put in it's a loving pittance. Same as most other major nations. And they don't want to put in one more dime than they view as worth it. Clean water isn't worth the effort, so they don't do it. It's exactly that simple.

They don't care, so they don't do it. It's not worth the effort. It's like asking why people are hungry and homeless in America, when for a fraction of the budget spent on the military they could take care of everyone in need.....you know the answer, why ask the question?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Mulva posted:

Sure I can, compared to what they could put in it's a loving pittance. Same as most other major nations. And they don't want to put in one more dime than they view as worth it. Clean water isn't worth the effort, so they don't do it. It's exactly that simple.

They don't care, so they don't do it. It's not worth the effort. It's like asking why people are hungry and homeless in America, when for a fraction of the budget spent on the military they could take care of everyone in need.....you know the answer, why ask the question?

What evidence is there of this?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

ThomasPaine posted:

Look up the South-to-North Water Transfer Project. You can read this PDF about Chinese water scarity.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Budzilla posted:

Look up the South-to-North Water Transfer Project. You can read this PDF about Chinese water scarity.

And then you can watch this video that touches on why the WTP is such a dumb idea that doesn't actually fix anything:

https://youtu.be/nRUc4gTO-PE

Might as well demand Mexico pay for it while you're at it

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The big problem is that there just isn't enough water for everything full stop. Conjuring up more potable water would take up stupendous amounts of energy which opens up a whole host of other problems.

It's the kind of issue that is cropping up all over the place and there is unfortunately no magic handwavy solution for it. Doing something about climate change would help a bit...

Oh, and watching that video it's amusing that it mentions "just raise water prices" when that is just another band aid with the impact falling on the people least able to afford it. There is definitely need to improve water efficiency but market based solutions often aren't very good at that. All the water available still gets consumed but just by different people.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Big desalination plants are an option, surely?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ThomasPaine posted:

Big desalination plants are an option, surely?

I was about to ask this. Are they like super energy intensive?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Desalination is insanely energy intensive.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

And energy needs water to create as well.

In general it is another band aid. Useful to make sure that household needs are satisfied and people don't die of thirst but not really economical for bulk uses.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Munin posted:

And energy needs water to create as well.

In general it is another band aid. Useful to make sure that household needs are satisfied and people don't die of thirst but not really economical for bulk uses.

idk how feasible it is on a fully china scale, but it's definitely feasible at an absolutely massive scale if there was interest and money behind it. There are a bunch of desal plants doing 500,000-1m cubic meters per day and actual costs are in the $2-$5 per 1000 gallons range, so it's not cheap but it's definitely not astronomically expensive either. Ends up being about double the cost of wastewater recycling.

generally other, less ideal sources of water then get tapped for industrial purposes and irrigation and the like.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

idk how feasible it is on a fully china scale, but it's definitely feasible at an absolutely massive scale if there was interest and money behind it. There are a bunch of desal plants doing 500,000-1m cubic meters per day and actual costs are in the $2-$5 per 1000 gallons range, so it's not cheap but it's definitely not astronomically expensive either. Ends up being about double the cost of wastewater recycling.

generally other, less ideal sources of water then get tapped for industrial purposes and irrigation and the like.

Yeah, but there is not enough water for the other stuff. That is the key problem.

I don't think anyone here is saying that desalination is useless. It's just that it is in no way a silver bullet that will solve China's, or anyone else's, upcoming mass water shortages.

[edit] In general you talk about desalination production in millions of cubic meters. National and global water consumption is talked about in cubic kilometers which is three orders of magnitude larger.

The current global production is about 100 million cubic meters per day (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0048969718349167). That is still an order of magnitude less than the base unit we use to talk about national and global water consumption.

Munin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 3, 2021

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/yeongno3/status/1411361234461413380?s=20

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 4, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

McArthur was fired for considering that, dipshit.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Right they just did a germ warfare instead

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

So what do you think about this tweet, OP? Do you have anything to add?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

How are u posted:

So what do you think about this tweet, OP? Do you have anything to add?

Why not answer the questions in the tweet.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Why not answer the questions in the tweet.

Seems that tweet is just a bunch of sweeping assumptions, to me. "Americans" all Americans? "Hate" really, hate? That's some pretty intense language. I'd say that Americans have very often cared about Chinese people and their right to democracy. I certainly do!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Pretending Americans are a monolith or conflating individual Americans with their government is just as dumb as when people do it with China, OP.

Yes due to recent events there’s scads of Americans and people in the west who did and still do know gently caress all about China and the Sinosphere who suddenly have very strongly held and probably very dumb opinions and it’s pretty in vogue to say certain rote phrases in regards to said opinions.

But if you see some tweet thread with all of its 100 words or whatnot and think oh fuuuuck this is so good wow this is great, so deep, I better go post this with no context in a way that contributes nothing in a discussion thread, I’ll definitely have Owned some people via Tweets ™ from Twitter ™...

...you’re probably not much better than those people at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

How are u posted:

Seems that tweet is just a bunch of sweeping assumptions, to me. "Americans" all Americans? "Hate" really, hate? That's some pretty intense language. I'd say that Americans have very often cared about Chinese people and their right to democracy. I certainly do!

If Americans care so much about China, why isn't there any organized American support for this supposed political transformation besides efforts that are inextricable from US's geopolitical motives and state apparatus? Why do both major US political parties demonize the political institutions supported by the vast majority of people in China, despite their lack of "democracy"? Why are Asians regularly harassed and assaulted in the US under the assumption that they are Chinese?