Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

what happened
Turns out that even fascists don't want to go vote on sunny week-ends (and/or lepen is just another mediocre politician), that on the regional level the presidential party doesn't exist (at least when it's not a classical case of "we elected that idiot, better elect that idiot parliament too"). I guess the french electorate like to try news thing from time to time, i am just not sure they like extreme centrism, you may want to try again in 40 years. Nearly every region reelected the current region's president and the parties of the 2 favorite for the next presidential election ate poo poo. Like if the next parliamentary election was with the same mold, macron's party would get like nearly no one elected. They have currently 55% of the parlement seat. If Macron, for some reason (like i don't know 5 years of insane unpopularity), doesn't end up president again, i am pretty sure i will see some centrist politicians commit suicide. Basically, the media spent a few years singing about a change in the political world with a new centrist versus fascist duality and the french electorate just said "no gently caress YOU, i prefer left versus right, you may add some green poo poo but gently caress you, really".

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Turns out that even fascists don't want to go vote on sunny week-ends (and/or lepen is just another mediocre politician), that on the regional level the presidential party doesn't exist (at least when it's not a classical case of "we elected that idiot, better elect that idiot parliament too"). I guess the french electorate like to try news thing from time to time, i am just not sure they like extreme centrism, you may want to try again in 40 years. Nearly every region reelected the current region's president and the parties of the 2 favorite for the next presidential election ate poo poo. Like if the next parliamentary election was with the same mold, macron's party would get like nearly no one elected. They have currently 55% of the parlement seat. If Macron, for some reason (like i don't know 5 years of insane unpopularity), doesn't end up president again, i am pretty sure i will see some centrist politicians commit suicide. Basically, the media spent a few years singing about a change in the political world with a new centrist versus fascist duality and the french electorate just said "no gently caress YOU, i prefer left versus right, you may add some green poo poo but gently caress you, really".

I thought in a few regions a bunch of parties pulled their candidates to ratfuck LePen by consolidating support to the leading non-LePen candidate?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

R. Mute posted:

Just last week, yeah. Offed himself. Far right of course is convinced the lone idiot who went Rambo and realised how utterly hosed he was the second to the adrenaline wore off didn't actually kill himself and was murdered by "the regime"

Like our government would ever do anything as good as executing Nazis

Always good to see a nazi follow their leader though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Horseshoe theory posted:

I thought in a few regions a bunch of parties pulled their candidates to ratfuck LePen by consolidating support to the leading non-LePen candidate?
You mean "to do what they always have been doing since the 70s"? Being a RN voter is liking being ratfucked, honestly. Also yeah, they didn't even won the Marseille region (PACA). They always consolidate vote there because the riviera is where all the racist rich old fucks move to (it's like french florida, if you prefer) and it's notoriously where the RN(formally FN) is the strongest (well beside Calais nowadays but we can thank the migration centers to England for that. gently caress you Theressa May and Nicolas Sarkozy, i guess.). Also the old communist party lost its last department.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Jun 28, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the only French person I've spent time with irl was a fascist from marseilles

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Were there any Paradox games on his laptop as well?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

If you want another funny spin, i have noticed that some part of the US press like to point out that despite his electoral non-victory, Macron is still more popular than t he previous two presidents... who were some of the most hated presidents ever. Sarkozy was in the 30% range and Hollande (in part for applying Macron's economic policies but also betraying many beliefs of his own party) was in the one digit range.
Also Eric Zemmour, a far right-wing polemicist/trash person, who is bassicaly French Ben Shappiro but over 5'5'' and with Algerian jew origin, decided to push his candidacy to the next presidential election. He probably felt the weakness in Le Pen position. So don't be surprised if she doesn't end up in the second round, because even if he doesn't too, he will surely steal some votes.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Jul 3, 2021

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Uh, so is Le Pen within striking distance of the presidency? Because it sure seems so

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no probably not

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Red and Black posted:

Uh, so is Le Pen within striking distance of the presidency? Because it sure seems so
It's a two rounds electoral system. None of that first after the post poo poo here.
Fyi to be elected after just the first round, she would need 50+% of the vote. Otherwise the second round pit the two biggest scores of the first round. And there is always a national union vote against FN/RN in the second round but not surprisingly it's less and less effective each time: Chirac got elected at 82%, Macron at 66%.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Jul 3, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

why don't melenchon, jadot and hidalgo just unify and try to get to the 2nd round that way
i know, i know, ego, each one wants to be the president and so on but for christ's sake, maybe just try and sort some poo poo out for once

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The French left was been divided for longer than we've been alive.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

why don't melenchon, jadot and hidalgo just unify and try to get to the 2nd round that way
i know, i know, ego, each one wants to be the president and so on but for christ's sake, maybe just try and sort some poo poo out for once
FYI the last time the left won a presidential election was Mitterand's re-election and he only won the first time because of the union of the left (which is seen as the doom of the communist party by everyone). Melenchon is Mitterand's last apostle and people fears he would gently caress their parties in the same with a victory (considering that not going behind him last time is what killed the PS last cycle*, it's actually super ironic). Also Jardot is a green liberal and Hidalgo a woman from the PS. So yeah, not going to happen. Also you can be sure that the same rightwingers (who said that if the leftists who wouldn't vote for their conservative candidate during Chirac/Lepen are facist) would vote for lepen in a heartbeat if it was LePen/anything left of their candidate. On the other hand by encouraging an unpopular president like macron for the second round, the foreign press boost lepen's chance, honestly. A lot of people won't go vote for macron no matter who is the opponent after the last 4 years. The right way to weaken lepen is having more far-right candidate during the first round (and last time we had pretty bad attempts including frexit man) so she doesn't end up in the second round. You can be sure Lepen and her horde will accuse Zemmour to be exactly there for that reason. And to be honest, they may as well be right, it won't change anything.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Toplowtech posted:

frexit man

is this the guy whose last name starts with "rear end"?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pardot posted:

is this the guy whose last name starts with "rear end"?

François Asselineau. In favor of France's unilateral withdrawal from the European Union, the Eurozone and NATO. 0.95% of the vote (332,547 people).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it still boggles the mind that hollande managed to gently caress up badly enough to blow his whole party up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

it still boggles the mind that hollande managed to gently caress up badly enough to blow his whole party up

ps and labour went the same way, at least the french were smart enough to go elsewhere

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

i say swears online posted:

ps and labour went the same way, at least the french were smart enough to go elsewhere

The french went elsewhere, but they chose en marche. Never understood their logic "we hate the crypto neoliberal ps so we'll elect the openly neoliberal party"

I don't get lrem's appeal. If they elected LePen I could at least understand in the opposite direction after Hollande's betrayal.

Obviously they figured out they hate macron and his I'll pretty quickly. That just begs the question why the electorate didn't they expect macron to govern exactly as he said he would govern.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dreddout posted:

The french went elsewhere, but they chose en marche. Never understood their logic "we hate the crypto neoliberal ps so we'll elect the openly neoliberal party"

I don't get lrem's appeal. If they elected LePen I could at least understand in the opposite direction after Hollande's betrayal.

Obviously they figured out they hate macron and his I'll pretty quickly. That just begs the question why the electorate didn't they expect macron to govern exactly as he said he would govern.

It's mostly because it was an alternative to the "good old main rightwing and leftwing parties" that wasn't LePen. Of course they could vote Melenchon but hey "my family wealth!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/lemondefr/status/1416462360735256579?s=19

lol

Bonne chance French goons.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Okay always double the official number and yeah probably around 250k people manifested. See those dumb bitches weren't expecting Macron to impose the covid passport to go to restaurants, cinemas and most places worst visiting during your vacations. So now we got nearly 2 millions people signing for the vaccine just after the announce and thousands of insanely dumb dickhead walking down the street, crying "freedom", "freedom". But you are free not to get vaccinated. Just loving stay at home Typhoid Mary. Also many people are complaining the list for vaccine are too full now but even lazy me who took all the time in the world to get my shoots got it without trouble and i got my second one at the start of the month. So why the gently caress did you wait that long, it's open since at least 3 months.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There are some side cases where it is difficult to get vaccinated making this an issue.

We were both sick in April so we couldn’t get vaccinated until now, and since we’re trying to have a kid my partner was dissuaded when she went I. person due to a lovely doctor. She’s going back finally on the 21st, two days before our vacation but it was tricky. I can only imagine the frustration of those who were sick in May let alone June.

There’s no real mechanisms to let you do stuff in those cases despite being “immune” according to the government.

That said the amount of anti vaxxers in France never ceases to surprise me.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There are some side cases where it is difficult to get vaccinated making this an issue.
Yes there are a few places who were hosed over because of a few unfit doctors. Sorry to learn it was your wife case. No one needs that poo poo.
But in most case here, it 's because people weren't expecting to have to vaccinate despite everyone telling them to since the beginning of the year.
Also yeah it fucks over the people who were sick at the beginning of the vaccination period. Still a large amount of the people complaining are giant lazy self-centered douche, not the people who should complain really.

quote:

That said the amount of anti vaxxers in France never ceases to surprise me.
We didn't become the country of Descartes and rationalism because our citizens were hyper-rational Vulcans, we are supposedly the "country of rationalism" because we were full as gently caress of the most insane catholic smooth brains and someone needed to get us out of there. Same way we are the "country of the human rights". It's not a medal, it's because we loving weren't nice with each other. <insert saint barthelomew's massacre painting here to illustrate both point>

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 09:43 on Jul 18, 2021

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

OhFunny posted:

The French left was been divided for longer than we've been alive.

It's been divided since the Revolution, even

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1418607786691158016

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1418593820275462158

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Abodz2z/status/1418623113303101441

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jupiter is trying to sue this billboard baron over this billboard.

the billboard guy, Michel-Ange Flori, was previously fined 30,000 euro for criticizing police during the gilet jaune protests.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Je suis calm hitler

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
Je suis calm Hitler et j'taime milfs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

je suis hitler tranquil, je deteste Le covid et la liberte

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
This might not be the right thread, but would I be onto something to say that France's most significant colonial legacy is in Africa, and that France had colonial success in Africa to the same degree that the Spanish had in the Americas?

I read that it's estimated that up to 85% of French speakers will be living in Africa by 2050, so like Latin Americans eclipse the Spanish, African francophones will eclipse France and Quebec in population and linguistic variety and perhaps even economically in total.

In other words, the future of French is African.

E: You could make a similar analogy of the UK vs North America and the Pacific.

America Inc. has issued a correction as of 10:11 on Aug 4, 2021

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I’m looking for a book that covers modern French history/politics for the 4th and 5th republic periods. Looking for coverage of the collapse of French imperialism in Algiers and Vietnam. The crisis leading to the 5th republic, and the student protests of the 1960’s. And also a survey of the politics of the last 3 decades.

Any recommendations?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lol

https://twitter.com/atlas_intel/status/1512087936803565573

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

lol @ the melenchon -> le pen voters

kind of like how Trump wouldn't have won without getting votes from people who voted for Obama. and probably most of those people would have voted for Bernie in 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

eSports Chaebol posted:

lol @ the melenchon -> le pen voters

kind of like how Trump wouldn't have won without getting votes from people who voted for Obama. and probably most of those people would have voted for Bernie in 2020

Yeah even with Zemmour sanitising Le Pen and the left splitting it's wild how badly Macron has failed. I still remember seeing those videos of the police kicking the poo poo out of grandmas during the gilet jaune protests, couldn't blame anyone for thinking 'I'm voting against Macron in the second round whoever it is'

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah even with Zemmour sanitising Le Pen and the left splitting it's wild how badly Macron has failed.
It's not, not after nearly one year of the Yellow Jackets and two of COVID.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well, the last of the lefty grandpa triplets won't get elected. This wasn't as disappointing as seeing Bernie and Corbyn fail, but this still blows.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Well, the last of the lefty grandpa triplets won't get elected. This wasn't as disappointing as seeing Bernie and Corbyn fail, but this still blows.

This one is the most directly attributable to left disunity sadly. There were easily enough votes on the left to get him above RN and into the second round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Echo Chamber posted:

The biggest mistake any of us made was thinking that the left in the western world had any chance at all, hate to break it to you but the cards were stacked against the left from the start and we thought people would show up without realizing that the left is in a strangle hold of being hated by the liberals, outperformed by the right, split amongst idiots too high up their own asses to unite and fought to the death by the media. there's no possibility of the left winning in the white world, sorry but it's the truth.