Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You've cracked it, the TVA is being run by Geoffrey Holder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

mutata posted:

A theory I've seen that I find likely is the apocalypse place that the Lokis are on is the place where everything that's been "reset" goes, even stuff erased by the reset devices. This implies that it's a junk world or dimension and that Avengers tower is just from some timeline that got reset. This explains the ship popping in in the mod season trailer.

That's definitely possible. I wonder if it's like The Langoleers, and it's a place left behind by time. Anyway, The Langoliers is cool, so I hope they do something like that.

Also, what series of events produced Crocodile Loki? It seems like that timeline must have branched off from the normal timeline a long time ago. Or is it just a Loki who decided to live as a crocodile? Can Loki shapeshift himself into a crocodile?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

That's definitely possible. I wonder if it's like The Langoleers, and it's a place left behind by time. Anyway, The Langoliers is cool, so I hope they do something like that.

Also, what series of events produced Crocodile Loki? It seems like that timeline must have branched off from the normal timeline a long time ago. Or is it just a Loki who decided to live as a crocodile? Can Loki shapeshift himself into a crocodile?

He shapeshifted into a snake to stab Thor one time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Technowolf posted:

He shapeshifted into a snake to stab Thor one time.

God, Taika and Chris just had a loving blast with that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wI35-_2h4

I love everything about this scene

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh absolutely, and the best part for me is watching Bruce's face when Thor is telling the snake story.

It reminds me of my own from when I watching Psych.

At first you think Psych is about these normal people reacting to James Roday's antics as Shawn, the fake psychic detective.

But then you slowly come to realize that no, they're all crazy in different ways.

That's Bruce.

He already knows that Loki is a homicidal lunatic from The Avengers and Valkyrie seems to be hot, violent, drunk and with a death wish.

But Thor's fine.

And Thor tells the snake story.

And no, Thor's just as crazy as the other two in his own way.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The whole entirety of the scene always has me in stitches. I just remember laughing my rear end in the theater at the juvenile joke of the Devil's Anus, then Loki in all seriousness asking passage through the anus to end with the hilarious snake story.

Can't wait to see what Taika will bring with Love and Thunder.

In other news they had announced that today they were gonna release part of the Loki soundtrack, but there's only the video of the credits in the Marvel youtube ( I haven't checked my Spotify). Kinda disappointed cuz the soundtrack is gold.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Desperado Bones posted:

The whole entirety of the scene always has me in stitches. I just remember laughing my rear end in the theater at the juvenile joke of the Devil's Anus, then Loki in all seriousness asking passage through the anus to end with the hilarious snake story.

Can't wait to see what Taika will bring with Love and Thunder.

In other news they had announced that today they were gonna release part of the Loki soundtrack, but there's only the video of the credits in the Marvel youtube ( I haven't checked my Spotify). Kinda disappointed cuz the soundtrack is gold.

The score for Episodes 1-3 is on Spotify now! It's fantastic.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

mutata posted:

A theory I've seen that I find likely is the apocalypse place that the Lokis are on is the place where everything that's been "reset" goes, even stuff erased by the reset devices. This implies that it's a junk world or dimension and that Avengers tower is just from some timeline that got reset. This explains the ship popping in in the mod season trailer.
The only reason this shouldn't be the case (...or should?) is because that's just an inter-dimensional/alternate-timeline version of where Thor ends up in Thor: Ragnarok.
"Shouldn't" because that's like running out of ideas. "Should" because then you can say there's more than just the space version of that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DaveKap posted:

The only reason this shouldn't be the case (...or should?) is because that's just an inter-dimensional/alternate-timeline version of where Thor ends up in Thor: Ragnarok.
"Shouldn't" because that's like running out of ideas. "Should" because then you can say there's more than just the space version of that.

It might also be that, but I think it'll probably be the destroyed hellworld or whatever that results from Loki winning in The Avengers. Really I think we'll end up seeing "our" Loki create "The Lokvengers" with the other Lokis to defeat the Avenger-killing Loki.

And... drat. Once again I can't wait for next Wednesday.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Everyone posted:

That's Bruce.

He already knows that Loki is a homicidal lunatic from The Avengers and Valkyrie seems to be hot, violent, drunk and with a death wish.

But Thor's fine.

And Thor tells the snake story.

And no, Thor's just as crazy as the other two in his own way.

Bruce is also bewildered from being Hulkified on a strange alien world for ages, and now these crazy people with their crazy plan are his only hope. And then he geeks out about the anus portal thing because science is cool. It's all very :allears:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Drillbit Taylor appears to help Loki escape Langoliers World.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The score for Episodes 1-3 is on Spotify now! It's fantastic.

Since there are multiple Loki movies somehow in my Spotify searches, here is the direct link

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Wc11R3nufO8ZAFFhvBGEe?si=8XYgTrTUSlSA4FY9ax6aSw&dl_branch=1

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everyone should be watching the excellent breakdowns after every episode. It’s great stuff!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZYzTkx1a8

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MCU TV introducing Secret Wars Battleworld would kind if be cool but also suck by removing it from the Hickman plot

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Since there are multiple Loki movies somehow in my Spotify searches, here is the direct link

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Wc11R3nufO8ZAFFhvBGEe?si=8XYgTrTUSlSA4FY9ax6aSw&dl_branch=1

Thank you!!
I still don't know why are they taking so long in releasing it. Wandavision and FATWS did it nearly weekly. :shrug:

Edit: OOOh whole soundtrack from the last episodes is up now neat! I can't read!! hell yeah!!!!!!

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 3, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The thing about Loki I've come to realize, and the reason the episodes don't really leave me as impressed as they probably should, is that the show really relies on selling "the vibes" of the story it wants to tell and not so much about having that story make particular sense.

Again, the TVA as any sort of proficient force whatsoever in the multiverse is completely ludicrous. This setup that relies on their competency fails to convince us of their competency at all. On the other hand, the show goes really hard all the way on establishing *the vibe* that they are a force to be reckoned with. It does this mostly by telling us about it over and over and over again as opposed to showing us, which is very much a narrative faux pas, but you can't quite argue with the results because the vibe is there and you just kind of have to roll with it because the story isn't going to change its mind about this thing that it really wants you to roll with.

The most egregious example of this is probably with Mobius being sad that Loki isn't a great friend. We're supposed to feel sympathetic for his sense of betrayal and Owen Wilson is selling the poo poo out of the moment. On the other hand...it's a fuckin' silly moment. The actual relationship between Mobius and Loki is that the former was holding the latter prisoner under made-up rules and coercing him into cooperation through threat of disintegration. You were blackmailing him -- again, with the alternative of literally being killed -- into capturing another version of himself so that you can kill that Loki! Loki had no choice but to be Mobius' friend or else be cock-and-ball-tortured for eternity! What possible ground was there for any sort of genuine bond between them?

And yet they invest real hard into *~the vibe~* that this betrayal was a super serious thing that hurt both of them deep in their souls or whatever, and I do get that vibe because of how hard they're going for it. At the end of the day though, I'm just not sold on it. It reminds me a lot of the sensibility behind fan-fiction writing, where writers often have a vibe of where they want the characters to be at and for the audience to feel that vibe along with them, but don't usually do the work behind establishing that dynamic because the vibes are sort of the means and ends onto themselves.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah. A Beauty and the Beast style few episodes where Loki and Mobius get to be buddy cops and sort that power imbalance out would have helped a lot. I think we're supposed to realize that Loki, Sylvie, and Mobius are all intensely lonely and in need of real connections, and so latch on quickly to just about anyone that shows up. Problem is a lot of that context is told instead of shown, so it doesn't land as well. (Again, especially in a show like Loki, where I am expecting literally everything to be a layer of lies)

I still adore the show but I have a feeling after episode 6 my main impression will be "this would have been better told in 8-10 eps"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think the show very purposefully relies on already established expectations particularly western audiences (or audiences of western media) have from tropes that are already long established. The TVA's construction, production design, style, and cinematography all tap into themes of hopelessness and impenetrable bureaucracy. Mobius' and Loki's arcs have relied heavily on how we expect those types of characters in that type of story to go. They rely on that when they lightly subvert it, and they rely on what we already know about Loki to sell the betrayals and the reconciliations.

I dunno, I don't want to overanalyze a Marvel mini series, and it's hardly a deeply insightful observation to say "they're relying on tropes!", but it works for me because it's all so familiar with a sprinkling of subversion. I guess that's kind of the mindset I go into most Marvel stuff with.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They do sort of show competency as a background. Like presumably they cleaned up the bombs, and given the list of timeline breaks included places like "Ego" and "Titan" they can clearly go tromping into places with pretty powerful people around

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, that's pretty much the part where they tell instead of show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, that's pretty much the part where they tell instead of show.

On this topic, I thought it was a strange choice that they didn't show the TVA actually capturing Loki & Sylvie last episode, just the door opening, as if we should just take their word that the TVA must be pretty impressive. Even though when they actually get in a fight with Sylvie, they've repeatedly shown them getting wrecked.

So then in the same episode, when Sylvie and Loki get in another fight with the TVA, it didn't come across to me as exciting at all. They weren't facing a foe that had been built up to be powerful, that might defeat them. It was more like just waiting for the fight to be over and Loki & Sylvie to win so we could get to the next plot beat.

(Of course, Ravonna did actually end up beating Loki in that tail-end of that scene but the battle itself was pretty one-sided)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

XboxPants posted:

On this topic, I thought it was a strange choice that they didn't show the TVA actually capturing Loki & Sylvie last episode, just the door opening, as if we should just take their word that the TVA must be pretty impressive. Even though when they actually get in a fight with Sylvie, they've repeatedly shown them getting wrecked.

So then in the same episode, when Sylvie and Loki get in another fight with the TVA, it didn't come across to me as exciting at all. They weren't facing a foe that had been built up to be powerful, that might defeat them. It was more like just waiting for the fight to be over and Loki & Sylvie to win so we could get to the next plot beat.

(Of course, Ravonna did actually end up beating Loki in that tail-end of that scene but the battle itself was pretty one-sided)

Probably better off not showing another lame rear end fight scene.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 4, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah. A Beauty and the Beast style few episodes where Loki and Mobius get to be buddy cops and sort that power imbalance out would have helped a lot. I think we're supposed to realize that Loki, Sylvie, and Mobius are all intensely lonely and in need of real connections, and so latch on quickly to just about anyone that shows up. Problem is a lot of that context is told instead of shown, so it doesn't land as well. (Again, especially in a show like Loki, where I am expecting literally everything to be a layer of lies)

I still adore the show but I have a feeling after episode 6 my main impression will be "this would have been better told in 8-10 eps"

Agree 100%. I appreciate that the show sets itself up as an odd couple buddy cop thing and then swerves away, but it doesn't really spend enough time establishing the buddy cop dynamic for it to feel meaningful when they swerve away. The right beats are there but it there's no weight to them, they're just there to check off boxes. Honestly this almost feels like a top-down problem that Disney stuff increasingly falls victim to across the board.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I wonder how much it would cost Disney to actually make that show. That 26 episode, episodic "mystery of the week" show that only has a vague overarching plot that doesn't really matter enough to force you to watch every episode in a row. 24 minute run time and just having fun. Doesn't even need a bunch of special effects. But would require the same actors. $500 million?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

XboxPants posted:

The TVA doesn't have to be all that impressive to go "Surrender, put these time collars on and come with us or stay here and die." Lokis are survivors.

XboxPants posted:

I did appreciate that Ravonna "beat" Loki by stabbing him in the back.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/iamkateherron/status/1411439024980496390

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Just realized, does the post-credits scene mean that his fine Asgardian leather might be lying around there somewhere?

Or is it in the Fine Asgardian Leather Limboverse?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

pik_d posted:

Just realized, does the post-credits scene mean that his fine Asgardian leather might be lying around there somewhere?

Or is it in the Fine Asgardian Leather Limboverse?

Multi-verse of Fine Asgardian Leather Madness.

On a side note, I just love how his hair went from slickly with just too much hair products to all wavy. TVA has better hairdressers.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

His hair gets less slick the kinder he gets.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DaveKap posted:

I wonder how much it would cost Disney to actually make that show. That 26 episode, episodic "mystery of the week" show that only has a vague overarching plot that doesn't really matter enough to force you to watch every episode in a row. 24 minute run time and just having fun. Doesn't even need a bunch of special effects. But would require the same actors. $500 million?

man idk and you're probably right that it's an improbable and impossible amount of money but I absolutely want "Fringe, but with Loki and Mobius"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I do too, I think.. I do wonder what a weekly, long-form serial arc would look like for some of these characters. It'd be true uncharted territory for Marvel.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

mutata posted:

His hair gets less slick the kinder he gets.

Loki's slicky hair fluffed three sizes that day...

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, there's this funny joke about being his dream to be one until he found out it was only women. And when you mentioned that I thought that it would be amusing that in Sylvie's universe she was the fangirl and Thor didn't care too much.

Thor is a dork fanboy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQGi3JMk_s

the "bout time" makes me laugh every time

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Hawkperson posted:

man idk and you're probably right that it's an improbable and impossible amount of money but I absolutely want "Fringe, but with Loki and Mobius"

Get this man on Dragon’s Den this second.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'm all for a buddy cop show with Mobius and Loki. More Owen Wilson, please.

Oh, and for us soundtrack lovers:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1411376259922341890

I'm interested....
And yes! I knew she used the nyckelharpa. They also used that instrument -if I recall well- in Odin's death scene back in Ragnarok.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm all for a buddy cop show with Mobius and Loki. More Owen Wilson, please.

Oh, and for us soundtrack lovers:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1411376259922341890

I'm interested....
And yes! I knew she used the nyckelharpa. They also used that instrument -if I recall well- in Odin's death scene back in Ragnarok.

Awwww hell yeah. This score is already dope as gently caress, cant wait for it to get evenbetter.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
At the risk of getting yelled at, Owen Wilson doesn't really do anything for me. I don't dislike him as an actor, but i'm just not as enthused as most people here.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
wow

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.