Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Well I'm now a fair bit poorer but also happier so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Well I'm now a fair bit poorer but also happier so thanks!

What you lack in AU$ you will gain tenfold in hacksilver.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I just want to see more info on The Danes expansion

Going to end up needing a Too Many Bones Trove Chest storage solution by the end of it.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

KongGeorgeVII posted:

All this talk about FFO makes me really sad I no longer have my old copy. Had a quick look online and it doesn't seem available at the moment, at least here in Australia. Time to start looking for it secondhand I guess.

I have a copy I want to sell. I’ve only used it a few times. Are you in Sydney?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Melbourne and I just ordered it online!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Going to end up needing a Too Many Bones Trove Chest storage solution by the end of it.

Gernot has already mentioned what is colloquially known as the "Longship Edition" with everything in a single double-sized box. Presumably that's double width; if you put it in a double-height box it'd give a new meaning to "LMAO gimme some cubes".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Too Many Norns

edit: alternately, Too Many Bjørns

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

Gernot has already mentioned what is colloquially known as the "Longship Edition" with everything in a single double-sized box. Presumably that's double width; if you put it in a double-height box it'd give a new meaning to "LMAO gimme some cubes".

The legendary giant AFfO box that was foretold by the Germans in ages past... it's real!

Been bingeing My City and loving it. The game is a little treasure and it takes effort to not just eat through the entire thing in one or two sittings. How can Knizia keep getting away with it???

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I played it in three player and we didn’t find very much interesting.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm effectively all-in on AFFO at this point, so just gently caress my poo poo up with a giant longship I don't have room for on my shelf.

Played some online games tonight via BoardGameArena, and got a chance to play Viticulture, Draftosaurus, and Tokaido

Viticulture - I won by a point by drawing some very lucky Winter Visitor cards that effectively allowed me to Age Wine twice, then a third time, then fulfil an order. On my next turn I was able to sell a 2nd wine order and make it to 20 points. Another player got to 21, but I was able to play another Visitor for an additional 2 points to scrape the win. I think I like it as a worker placement game, but I would like to play it maybe 1-2 more times to get a better feel for it as the 'engine' felt weird and relies on the Visitor's too much? Or maybe that's just how it plays? One of my friends who played said he might pick it up, which would solve that problem - as I'd def be down to playing this one again :v:

BGA also has a neat stat breakdown if you have premium, which my mate has. Here's just the scoring section, going from 1st to 4th from left to right.

Draftosaurus - DINOSAUR MEEPLES! We literally went in with 0 clue how to play, but you're effectively trying to draft dinosaurs into pens to combo the most points together based off of dice rolls. I feel like if I ever saw this on sale I'd probable grab it because A.) It has Stegosaurus meeples, B.) It's super easy to understand, C.) Game was over in about 10min, D.) I could teach this to my nieces and nephews pretty easily when they're a bit older, as it is effectively Baby's First Introduction To Drafting.

Stegomeeple :swoon:

Tokaido - I won, but I didn't feel confident in my win. We played it on a whim, and it's essentially you just travelling around Japan trying to have the nicest trip possible. I'm not sure if it really did anything for me, as the scores were super close, so I'm not sure you could ever completely gently caress up. I don't have anything bad to say about it, it just didn't really do anything for me? It lacks heart if that makes sense?

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 5, 2021

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Draftosaurus - DINOSAUR MEEPLES! We literally went in with 0 clue how to play, but you're effectively trying to draft dinosaurs into pens to combo the most points together based off of dice rolls. I feel like if I ever saw this on sale I'd probable grab it because A.) It has Stegosaurus meeples, B.) It's super easy to understand, C.) Game was over in about 10min, D.) I could teach this to my nieces and nephews pretty easily when they're a bit older, as it is effectively Baby's First Introduction To Drafting.

Hmm, those dinomeeples are quite cute

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Infinitum posted:

gently caress I'm going to buy this and I don't even remember what you said the premise is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The premise is Dinosaur Meeples.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There are also 2 mini expansions that add pterodactyls and plesiosauruses

I think that if you had a kid that is interested in dinosaurs, and you wanted a game with fairly simple to understand mechanics, Draftosaurus is an easy pickup.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Infinitum posted:

There are also 2 mini expansions that add pterodactyls and plesiosauruses

I think that if you had a kid that is interested in dinosaurs, and you wanted a game with fairly simple to understand mechanics, Draftosaurus is an easy pickup.

My 5yo is gonna want that pterodactyl xpac.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Tokaido - I won, but I didn't feel confident in my win. We played it on a whim, and it's essentially you just travelling around Japan trying to have the nicest trip possible. I'm not sure if it really did anything for me, as the scores were super close, so I'm not sure you could ever completely gently caress up. I don't have anything bad to say about it, it just didn't really do anything for me? It lacks heart if that makes sense?

This game plays best with 3-4 people, and IMO is not worth playing with just two. I enjoy it because it's a pretty chill game thematically (and is gorgeous) - but the real value comes in figuring out how to be crafty and screw over other players with your choices of what space to go to next.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 5yo is gonna want that pterodactyl xpac.

Sure, your “5yo” is totally not a justification to get it for yourself :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Tokaido is close to being totally scripted without the expansions. I played it once while waiting on my Collector's Edition to arrive and nearly sold it on unopened, it was so weak. But I gave it a chance with all three expansions, and in that mode it became a very pleasant and relaxing light game. I don't want to play it super often, but I know I can get it to the table if I do.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Yeah a friend of mine has this, and it's quite good! The meeples are absolutely top notch too, as you said. :D I've been tempted to get it for myself, but I've already got too many games I haven't been able to try yet (including Fort, sadly) though, so I probably won't be getting anything new anytime soon

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure, your “5yo” is totally not a justification to get it for yourself :v:

She's the only playmate I have nowadays. :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Infinitum posted:

Viticulture - I won by a point by drawing some very lucky Winter Visitor cards that effectively allowed me to Age Wine twice, then a third time, then fulfil an order. On my next turn I was able to sell a 2nd wine order and make it to 20 points. Another player got to 21, but I was able to play another Visitor for an additional 2 points to scrape the win. I think I like it as a worker placement game, but I would like to play it maybe 1-2 more times to get a better feel for it as the 'engine' felt weird and relies on the Visitor's too much? Or maybe that's just how it plays? One of my friends who played said he might pick it up, which would solve that problem - as I'd def be down to playing this one again :v:

If you can play with the Rhine Visitors give that a go. They replace the base set of visitors with ones that are more focused on building up the winemaking engine. A lot of the cards have multiple options so it's rarer you'll get a dead draw.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I am not sure exactly how to phrase this question, so bear with me.

The games I enjoy the most tend to have diverse characters/factions that provide variety from game to game with minimal additional rules burden. Spirit Island is a fantastic example with its spirits; Root is kind of there because the factions are all basically their own games in terms of rules burden but they are at least diverse; and Pandemic would be a bad example because while variable player powers do exist the games tend to feel the same regardless of character.

What are some examples of games with diverse factions that I can check out? Battlecon seems cool, Sideral Confluence would not work for my group, and Cosmic Encounter sounds too random. Beyond that, I am not really sure how to even search. Variable Player Powers as a category does not quite get me there.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Infinitum posted:

As the thread's resident Viticulture hater, yeah, that's basically every game. I hear it's better with Tuscany and a different visitor deck but there's only so much you can polish a turd.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pseudoscorpion posted:

As the thread's resident Viticulture hater, yeah, that's basically every game. I hear it's better with Tuscany and a different visitor deck but there's only so much you can polish a turd.

This is it really. If 2 people are equally good at viticulture then it's just lucky of the draw. Some of the visitors are just way way better than others.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

nordichammer posted:

What are some examples of games with diverse factions that I can check out? Battlecon seems cool, Sideral Confluence would not work for my group, and Cosmic Encounter sounds too random. Beyond that, I am not really sure how to even search. Variable Player Powers as a category does not quite get me there.

Maybe Vast: The Mysterious Manor? Dune also has different faction abilities but not as unique as some of those you mentioned.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

nordichammer posted:

The games I enjoy the most tend to have diverse characters/factions that provide variety from game to game with minimal additional rules burden. Spirit Island is a fantastic example with its spirits; Root is kind of there because the factions are all basically their own games in terms of rules burden but they are at least diverse; and Pandemic would be a bad example because while variable player powers do exist the games tend to feel the same regardless of character.

Battlecon is great at this. so is EXCEED, the new line of games like that from level99.

In fact a lot of level99 has this: argent the consortium and bullet are also full of varied faction/character abilities.

Among more classic euro-y options, The Voyages of Marco Polo has wildly variable characters in it. I believe marcopolo II has these as well but I haven't played it.

Mage Knight's various characters are also very distinct and don't have much additional rules overhead at the cost of the whole game having a ton of rules overhead, but it is very much in the vein of spirit island if that's what you're into. just a lot less elegant.

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends hhas highly varied factions in its game, and each one feels extremely different to play.

Terra Mystica and Gaia Project also have very different factions that aren't quite as diverse as the spirit island spirits but also don't require as much rules overhead s something like Root.

There's an expansion for Caverna that adds factions. Not sure how good it is.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

alkanphel posted:

Maybe Vast: The Mysterious Manor? Dune also has different faction abilities but not as unique as some of those you mentioned.

I'm in the same boat, where asymmetry is of paramount importance to me, and Dune is actually one of the best. Because as well as having different powers, the factions actually have different rules, different ways to win, and different strengths and weaknesses baked in.

Twilight imperium is the other big one, and then if you can find it, Rune Wars really scratches the itch.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

nordichammer posted:

What are some examples of games with diverse factions that I can check out?

Have you tried GMT's COIN series? I haven't played the last 3-4 but I think Cuba Libre is still the simplest one and recommended as the first one to try.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Would a LCG like Arkham Horror fit the bill?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

kalthir posted:

Have you tried GMT's COIN series? I haven't played the last 3-4 but I think Cuba Libre is still the simplest one and recommended as the first one to try.

I was just about to post that. CL is a good choice and plays in a good time. Others in the series can get a lot longer and more involved.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

nordichammer posted:

Do you need a character select screen, or is the differences evolving in play good enough? If so Kemet and Food Chain Magnate are worth looking at

Otherwise nthing Tash Kalar, Battlecon,

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

nordichammer posted:

Unmatched sounds like it would work out nicely but it's 1v1. Not sure how important player count is.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

nordichammer posted:

I know it has become a meme to recommend Gloomhaven to anyone asking for suggestions for anything, but... It sounds like Gloomhaven would be a good option.

All of the characters are quite different (and the unlockable ones can get really weird). It's not a different character every time, since you'll likely play the same one for 10-15 scenarios before retiring it and switching, but there's no rule that you can't just start with a different class whenever you want. In fact, the digital version of the game currently works like that - you're not tied to a single character and can switch at will without losing progress.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Latest vid. A discussion of Hallertau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVTezNQxdQY

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
If we're talking minimum rules burden, isn't that kinda Terraforming Mars? Each of the corporations has usually one simple special thing about it, but that can steer your overall strategy in a completely different direction. Even more so with the expansions with Venus- and political- centric corps.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

re:Viticulture chat.

Distilled just popped up on Kickstarter, and could fulfil a similar niche for people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwx4HhErozY

Tabletop Simulator files
Tabletopia version

Looking very interesting from the little I have seen of it thus far, but I'll try and get a game crew together for it for thread thoughts later.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just gonna pop in here just so I don’t get any more DM’s in the future. I no longer have my copy of BSG and it will have a nice new home. Thanks for the interest!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Might be of interest to people ITT

A company called Underdog Games will pay your family $2,500 + some free games if you consent to being filmed playing boardgames for 90min each night for a week.

quote:

We are open to family size and demographics overall. In addition, here’s what we’ll be looking for in the family we choose:

Must live busy lives and be a family that likes their phones and screen time.
Must have some kids in the 10+ age range since this is the target for most of our games at Underdog.
All family members must be comfortable being on camera and consent to being involved. (We will have a contract for the final family we choose to work with.)
All family members must be willing to give up their phones/devices/screens for at least 90 minutes every night for a week. Seriously, this is important! No devices during game time!
Family members must be open to trying new board games.
Probably only open to Americans from the looks of things.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I appreciate all of the feedback! I do not think that it makes sense for me to quote each response, but know that I read them all.

Battlecon, Bullet, and Terraforming Mars definitely look intriguing. Arkham LCG will require some research. I have heard it can get fairly expensive.

Regardless, I have some good ideas now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

nordichammer posted:

I appreciate all of the feedback! I do not think that it makes sense for me to quote each response, but know that I read them all.

Battlecon, Bullet, and Terraforming Mars definitely look intriguing. Arkham LCG will require some research. I have heard it can get fairly expensive.

Regardless, I have some good ideas now!

One last recommendation for Summoner Wars. The 2nd Edition just got released and it has been getting very high praise. There is a solid online implementation that can be played against AI on Plaid Hat's website. You can subscribe to releases and about once every few months you'll get sent a couple new Summoners, which will vary tremendously.

The Arkham Horror LCG is fantastic as well, but you might want to wait for the new edition of the core set that will be released in a few months.