Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Crud, I forgot to make my yearly effortpost on Warlock 2

I'll make an :effort: post instead

Warlock 2 is a turn based fantasy wargame where you play a plane traveling archmage, build a bunch of cities to churn out a bunch of units, travel between dimensions and mash them into each other, it is fun. It is not Civ. It looks like it. It is not. It's a hex based wargame, not a peaceful empire simulator.

Renaissance Mod for Warlock 2 is the product of an absolute madman that overhauls every aspect of the game, adds new races, new units, rebalances everything, fixes as many bugs as possible, increases challenge, and more.

This is the mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493257789

This is Warlock 2 - you need all the DLC to use the mod, which is why it's best to get this during a steam sale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/205990/Warlock_2_The_Exiled/

And there we go, that's my yearly beer and pretzels wargame recommendation, enjoy, or don't, I'm not your dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rebel Blob posted:

Benoît Sokal died? :smith:

Syberia will always have a special place in my heart, even if the rest of his video game career didn't hold up.

Only very recently I believe

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Even on normal a couple of the Death Stranding bosses were kind of a slog. The rest of the game is amazing though

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is probably just wishful thinking, but are there any tools that will look at my Steam library and tell me which games have had major updates or full releases since I last played them? I have too many lovely EA games to look through them individually for news in Steam

Insert name here posted:

Kind of an odd segue here but has anyone tried Mech Merc Company? It looks like it's made by someone who really wanted to recreate MW4 Mercs.

I bought this and played it for about an hour and a half - it seems totally good except it's still incredibly early access and sparse on content, so I decided to put it down until it's nearer to complete. It's a solo dev and they've been releasing small patches every 2-3 weeks and seem to have a solid gameplan for development so it's promising but don't go out of your way to play it yet. The first major update is expected to hit Steam beta branches soon and official release in the fall.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 4, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The last few bosses especially in Death Stranding escalate difficulty very fast while simultaneously being where the game enters a Mood while going into story pace overdrive and when people complain about higher difficulties ruining bosses it's because you have a very good chance of being way too frustrated to enjoy the Mood or getting stuck too long to enjoy story overdrive.

Also the game kind of runs out of interesting things to throw at you combat-wise and all the unique end bosses kind of suck to fight anyway when divorced of the spectacle. Which they are bound to be divorced from because see above about taking you out of the Mood.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

victrix posted:

Crud, I forgot to make my yearly effortpost on Warlock 2

I'll make an :effort: post instead

Warlock 2 is a turn based fantasy wargame where you play a plane traveling archmage, build a bunch of cities to churn out a bunch of units, travel between dimensions and mash them into each other, it is fun. It is not Civ. It looks like it. It is not. It's a hex based wargame, not a peaceful empire simulator.

Renaissance Mod for Warlock 2 is the product of an absolute madman that overhauls every aspect of the game, adds new races, new units, rebalances everything, fixes as many bugs as possible, increases challenge, and more.

This is the mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493257789

This is Warlock 2 - you need all the DLC to use the mod, which is why it's best to get this during a steam sale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/205990/Warlock_2_The_Exiled/

And there we go, that's my yearly beer and pretzels wargame recommendation, enjoy, or don't, I'm not your dad.

I’ve been pining for a Civ IV fall from heaven mod replacement, for about a decade. This looks interesting

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pretty much everyone who used a computer stopped doing work that day and just played Pac-man on the google homepage, yea

seems like a good day for humanity

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lol

(the game is Running With Rifles - also holy poo poo, this game has been out since 2015 and is still receiving frequent updates)

Edit: Alternate news - Xenonauts 2 has a demo now. I'm not sure if it was part of the demo fest and I missed it or if it snuck out at some other time - haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'm looking forward to it! SteamDB says it was released about 7 days ago? https://steamdb.info/app/1527370/

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 4, 2021

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

repiv posted:

culminating in them getting remedy to make a (still upcoming) knock-off call of duty singleplayer campaign for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYYuwAsZl58

remedy don't always stick the landing but i'd rather them get to try more weird poo poo than... this

Blackbird Interactive (Deserts of Kharak/Homeworld 3) also got contracted to make a RTS for it.
https://venturebeat.com/2021/06/10/crossfire-legion-is-an-rts-take-on-shooter-franchise-from-homeworld-dev-blackbird/

deep dish peat moss posted:

lol

(the game is Running With Rifles - also holy poo poo, this game has been out since 2015 and is still receiving frequent updates)

Edit: Alternate news - Xenonauts 2 has a demo now. I'm not sure if it was part of the demo fest and I missed it or if it snuck out at some other time - haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'm looking forward to it! SteamDB says it was released about 7 days ago? https://steamdb.info/app/1527370/

Mod microtransactions? lol what, I guess that's one way to pay for your gacha addiction.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oof. Is the base game worth picking up as-is, or should I wait for the sequel?

Three Kingdoms is probably the best received Historical Total War game since Shogun 2, launched in the best state, and has the best diplomacy and endgame.

The sequel is reportedly going to be based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms rather than the Three Kingdoms period, and is likely to have a greater focus on the hero units, which are toggleable in 3K - they can just be normal generals. It’s also likely to be post Battle of Red Cliff/Chi Bi, since that was avoided by 3K.

I can not recommend Three Kingdoms highly enough. It’s an outstanding game. Warhammer has it beat on unit variety but of loving course it will, it’s Warhammer. I think it’s bullshit that they’re getting review bombed, the post launch support has been phenomenal and the game is great. It’s just standard gamer entitlement thinking they deserve a decade of content addons instead of just getting a drat good game and leaving it at that.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Has anyone made a list of good horizontal shmups, maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

busalover posted:

for starters:

both Jets 'n' Gunses
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart
Bio-Hazard Battle

the Darius and R-Type series are generally well liked but I don't know them

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

C.M. Kruger posted:

Mod microtransactions? lol what, I guess that's one way to pay for your gacha addiction.

You should see what Chinese custom games in Dota 2 get up to. It's gachas all the way down.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i thot the death stranding bosses were cool

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Three Kingdoms is probably the best received Historical Total War game since Shogun 2, launched in the best state, and has the best diplomacy and endgame.

The sequel is reportedly going to be based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms rather than the Three Kingdoms period, and is likely to have a greater focus on the hero units, which are toggleable in 3K - they can just be normal generals. It’s also likely to be post Battle of Red Cliff/Chi Bi, since that was avoided by 3K.

I can not recommend Three Kingdoms highly enough. It’s an outstanding game. Warhammer has it beat on unit variety but of loving course it will, it’s Warhammer. I think it’s bullshit that they’re getting review bombed, the post launch support has been phenomenal and the game is great. It’s just standard gamer entitlement thinking they deserve a decade of content addons instead of just getting a drat good game and leaving it at that.

Eh I can see why they are mad, they finally get a game in the series on,y to be the first historical game to copy the Warhammer model of milking it for all its worth

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh I can see why they are mad, they finally get a game in the series on,y to be the first historical game to copy the Warhammer model of milking it for all its worth

We'll see if that's the case when they actually show what the new game is going to be. If it was the Warhammer model, we'd still be getting new DLC up until the release of the new game. The two games would also be able to link together. Both of these things are some of the only things we actually know. What I'm seeing is this specific title is not being milked, and that's what's got people mad. Quite literally their announcement was "Hey, we're not doing any more DLC for this game, we're making a new one!"

If the next game is basically just 3K with a few minor added bells and whistles and no substantial improvements, that'll be worth criticism.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Mech 5 mercs is okay but the bulk of the game is playing the same missions over and over again grinding up money and rep. Theres all sorts of ways they COULD HAVE spiced up the procgenned missions but they did not. Also you have to play as Generic Mcwhitedude out for revenge against the BadEvil Mercs.

Its very much a podcast game you just play to zone out too. At least it's not godawful boring like battletech

Wait what was the problem with battletech? It's always been a great game

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Famously every animation was really slow and it kept cutting into cinematic mode so the player was stuck watching a movie with occasional turn-based strategy. Most of its been fixed now but it is still a pretty plodding tactical game compared to stuff like XCOM. Fun, but the kind of thing you play with a drink and snacks at hand.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

uh oh, am i going to regret choosing very hard? i'm making a second run at the game now after getting to Mountain Knot half a year ago and petering out. Just about to port knot city now; and i've been enjoying the ways they've increased difficulty so far

You can always toggle it off. Personally I leave it on because it makes MULE sections more interesting when there's a real threat, but try to remember to turn off for boss sections and the mads modes. Bosses I usually had to cheese on hard, will say the chiral crystal boon is worth it if you do get really good or have a cheesy victory you can take. The war sections were just impossible and infuriating on Hard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Khanstant posted:

You can always toggle it off. Personally I leave it on because it makes MULE sections more interesting when there's a real threat, but try to remember to turn off for boss sections and the mads modes. Bosses I usually had to cheese on hard, will say the chiral crystal boon is worth it if you do get really good or have a cheesy victory you can take. The war sections were just impossible and infuriating on Hard.

yeah yesterday was the first time i've been knocked flat out by MULEs. didn't bug me as much as I thought it would, though i imagine actually dying would loving suck rear end, ingame consequences and all

that's definitely good that i can turn the difficulty down to hard any time (and safely for cheevs to boot), though. i don't hate the combat sections but they're sure a lot weaker than everything else!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
You should definitely actually die at least once if you're curious to see what will happen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i can guess, and it's one i don't much want to confirm :ohdear: plus the cutscenes from the forced one at the start were real gross

i'm sure i'll get quite clobbered by something whether I want to or not, eventually :v:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm not sure I agree with the thread title. There seems to be something unhealthy being done to my brain by this "game".

Also I need more levels.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have thoughts on Song of Syx? It looks pretty impressive but not sure how fleshed out it actually is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Popete posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Song of Syx? It looks pretty impressive but not sure how fleshed out it actually is.

I haven't played it since it came out in early access and at the time it showed a lot of potential but was still clearly very early on. It's cool because you can get thousands of settlers running around doing stuff and the game doesn't really slow down at all so it ends up feeling like Factorio but more macro focused instead of assigning each task to every person individually. Unfortunately I can't say if it's gotten better since then, updates appear to have been sort of slow (it's a one man job iirc) but it does look like the dev just put out an update with warring factions and stuff which looks neat. I might give it another go to see what's changed, actually.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

It’s incredible. Only issue is it’s content-light. Highly recommend it even so, it’s just getting better over time. It feels so good to build a city that houses thousands of people, then commanding them like it’s a Total War game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

lol

Interestingly it looks like the workshop page for the mod is still up: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541806712
But its description and discussion sections are entirely blanked

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

GhostDog posted:

I'm not sure I agree with the thread title. There seems to be something unhealthy being done to my brain by this "game".

Also I need more levels.

:same:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries is probably serious fun with friends and the difficulty properly set
but I'll never know

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Popete posted:

Here's a recent let's play that you can scroll through. Looks like it got some UI improvements recently.

The Demo is also the full game, just an older version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg5dyQ0cnNs

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 4, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
In further 'possibly not really a game' recommendations by me, Train Station Renovation is House Flipper, but train stations. You clean them up, you replace broken objects, and then you can put in furniture and paint the walls and such until everything is lovely and clean and new. I like train stations a lot and I like clicking on dirt and having it go away. You can separate trash by type or just chuck it all in one dumpster. The game gives you a room next to your office with a huge model train set in it, and completing levels unlocks different pieces of trains for you to add to it - not something I care about but I bet some people will love it.

Why yes I am considering buying the Powerwash game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am extremely interested in this Song of Syx game now.

I am repulsed by the art style, but I am a sucker for anything Dwarf Fortressy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wow no kidding about the boss damage sponginess on very hard in death stranding, this is just stupid :mad:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Anyone care to drop some opinions on Dying Light DLCs? I got the base edition and had fun with it way back in '15 but i have a friend getting it now from the sale. From what I've read, The Following is mostly focused on driving which seems silly to me since the funnest parts of Dying Light involve parkour and grappling.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

busalover posted:

No need for lists, perfection has already been reached with Super Hydorah and all other horizontal shmups are irrelevant.

On this topic, a question: I'm looking for a game that looked like R-TYPE but the actual shmuping was turn based, where you direct your ship to move/shoot within a short frame of time sort of like the Frozen Synapse/Cortex games. It seemed interesting but I haven't been able to find it since.

e; I found it, it's called Mighty Tactical Shooter and it turned out to be another Kickstarter money blackhole that was verified dead and cancelled just a couple months ago after 5 years of radio silence. gently caress me.

treat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 4, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Anyone care to drop some opinions on Dying Light DLCs? I got the base edition and had fun with it way back in '15 but i have a friend getting it now from the sale. From what I've read, The Following is mostly focused on driving which seems silly to me since the funnest parts of Dying Light involve parkour and grappling.

The Following is set in a whole new, mostly wide-open area and it's heavily driving-focused, yes. There are a ton of car upgrades and a new skill tree just for driving and everything. You have to stop pretty frequently to scrounge for fuel & repair parts, too. Don't get it if that sounds like a change for the worse.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Steam hori shmups that I think are pretty good

Natsuki Chronicles
Progear (Capcom Arcade Stadium)
Forgotten Worlds (Capcom Arcade Stadium)
Devil Engine

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no gigawing = didnt read

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Though the sequel's the one I'm really interested in, I decided to pick up the first Everspace. Any tips for what Perks I should be buying early on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Stux posted:

no gigawing = didnt read