Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As far as I'm aware the "OLED Evo" panels that are new to the G1 and above were the first significant revision in the panels themselves since the beginning of the mainstream OLED TV market. Everything else has been in the display controller, image processor, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

2016 6 series was a pretty significant jump from the prior gen, since then there hasn't been much until the G1 series. Even that though I don't think is a whole new panel design.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
One of the layers in the Evo panel uses a new material that's more heat absorbent, allowing the LEDs to be driven harder, making them brighter.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

My LG C1 just recently installed a new firmware. I went into the settings menu and saw this.

I now see a completely different settings menu when the TV is in game mode. loving kill me. I should have just bought a big rear end PC monitor. I mean, I appreciate the effort. But now I have yet another set of setting and muscle memory to keep up with. So now I have.
  • Picture settings for SDR
  • Picture settings for HDR
  • Menus for video games
  • Menus for movies and TV
It was bad enough when the TV would hide and show options between SDR and HDR. But now that the entire menu topography is changing when to you into game mode? Noooo thank you!

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 2, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord, that looks like whoever designed it thought they were working on a gaming laptop.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
They really felt like saying FPS instead of Hz was going to be better with teh gamers. Sadly they're probably right.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The other game menu was somehow worse though and you did have to drill down and get to it, and it was a long scrolling page. I don't like the new menu but they simplified access when in game mode but yeah, looks bad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

McCracAttack posted:

I now see a completely different settings menu when the TV is in game mode. loving kill me. I should have just bought a big rear end PC monitor. I mean, I appreciate the effort. But now I have yet another set of setting and muscle memory to keep up with. So now I have.
  • Picture settings for SDR
  • Picture settings for HDR
Why wouldn't you want this? Also isn't that more of a "set it once and then forget it" kinda thing?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

Why wouldn't you want this? Also isn't that more of a "set it once and then forget it" kinda thing?

My complaint is the menus completely re-arrange themselves under certain conditions. I would be fine with settings just greying out when they weren't relevant. That's part of why it's taking so long to "set it and forget it". Also the TV is full of "smart" features that try to auto-adjust the picture. I keep finding new ones to turn off. Oh, and the TV has a bad audio lag issue when I try to pass Dolby Digital audio through it. I had just spent an hour monkeying with that when I tried updating the firmware and then that new "gamer menu" showed up.

I'm losing patience with this TV.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 2, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

McCracAttack posted:

I'm losing patience with this TV.

I'll take it off your hands!

icecreamcheesesteak
Sep 30, 2007

Restore gold standard; occupy japan
Around a couple of months ago I got a 65in cx and have been loving it for the most part, but I started noticing vertical banding a few weeks after having the tv. I’m starting to get used to it, but it is disappointing having uniformity issues since I got an oled to avoid dirty screen effect, and I’m wondering if it would be worth considering a return. Banding is mostly noticeable in video games where the background/sky is largely uniform and desaturated colors, or if there is hazy lighting in a dark area. I wouldn’t describe the conditions as near-dark so I’m wondering, is this normal? I also see banding on Amazon prime and Disney+ splash screens, as well as the default ps5 background (it’s harder to notice there though). It seems like it’s more likely than not for an oled to have banding and I don’t want to start going down the road or returning multiple panels, but if the C1 has better uniformity I’d consider seeing if I could swap for one since I’m still in my return window.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

icecreamcheesesteak posted:

Around a couple of months ago I got a 65in cx and have been loving it for the most part, but I started noticing vertical banding a few weeks after having the tv. I’m starting to get used to it, but it is disappointing having uniformity issues since I got an oled to avoid dirty screen effect, and I’m wondering if it would be worth considering a return. Banding is mostly noticeable in video games where the background/sky is largely uniform and desaturated colors, or if there is hazy lighting in a dark area. I wouldn’t describe the conditions as near-dark so I’m wondering, is this normal? I also see banding on Amazon prime and Disney+ splash screens, as well as the default ps5 background (it’s harder to notice there though). It seems like it’s more likely than not for an oled to have banding and I don’t want to start going down the road or returning multiple panels, but if the C1 has better uniformity I’d consider seeing if I could swap for one since I’m still in my return window.

Given they don't have backlighting, I wasn't aware DSE is an issue at all for OLEDs.

Can you take a picture? And to be clear, we're not talking about banding that happens with low color depth images right?

edit: NM I googled it and see what you're talking about. Strange. Some REDDIT folks say it mostly resolves itself with use?
edit 2: Also this vid recommends running the Pixel Refresher? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf0krvdSuv8

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 2, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/not-just-oled-lg-is-about-to-release-its-first-mini-led-tvs/

icecreamcheesesteak
Sep 30, 2007

Restore gold standard; occupy japan
Yeah that’s the banding I’m talking about. I’ve seen it mentioned that running the pixel refresher can help but apparently it’s made the issue worse for people too, so I’ve held off on doing it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

got a new 77" c1. do stuck pixels go away from scene to scene or is army of the dead(holy gently caress this movie is bad) just hosed in a few scenes? I'm not seeing it on a random YouTube picture test that runs through colors but now I'm loving paranoid.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

KidDynamite posted:

got a new 77" c1. do stuck pixels go away from scene to scene or is army of the dead(holy gently caress this movie is bad) just hosed in a few scenes? I'm not seeing it on a random YouTube picture test that runs through colors but now I'm loving paranoid.

It's just Army of the Dead

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KidDynamite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQiJuXN07E&t=972s

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It really maybe army of the dead. Movie did not look good at all.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

On LG remotes where is the button to show the incoming feed details (resolution in particular)? I don't get this loving remote at all. TV is good but unsurprisingly struggles with 4k streaming over wi-fi but I now have an Xbox one to handle all the smart features anyway.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
On my CX it's the button with the three dots next to the number 0, hit that and select Information.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KidDynamite posted:

Army of the Dead was shot with some cameras that had dead pixels on the sensor

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

On my CX it's the button with the three dots next to the number 0, hit that and select Information.

Brilliant, thank you!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BonoMan posted:

Army of the Dead was shot with some cameras that had dead pixels on the sensor

What the gently caress

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GreenNight posted:

What the gently caress
Lol, I just read about it and Snyder used a 65 year old lens (for aesthetic reasons) that they think focused light in a way that revealed sensor problems with the RED cameras he shot on.

Dunno why Netflix couldn't pay a VFX company $2 Mil to run a Nearest Neighbor thing for the affected scenes tho.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You have to be a real rear end in a top hat to leave a missing pixel on your movie. Did no one see it or they just don't give a poo poo?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It's real man, real cinema! It's a happy accident and it's now an integral part of the Vision!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want to spend about a hundred dollars and get the most garbage-rear end television with zero features possible. I want "turns on" and "has HDMI port and outputs sound" and I care about literally nothing else. Is that even possible in 2021?

This technically isn't the thread to ask that, but I'm sure I'm not the first Luddite to wander in here.

e: I should probably clarify that "about a hundred" really means like sub-$300, and I don't actively need an enormous screen although of course I'd take more real estate at any point. I'm used to playing games on a 27" monitor so really anything 32" or above is going to feel big, etc.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 5, 2021

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want to spend about a hundred dollars and get the most garbage-rear end television with zero features possible. I want "turns on" and "has HDMI port" and literally nothing else. Is that even possible in 2021?

This technically isn't the thread to ask that, but I'm sure I'm not the first Luddite to wander in.

Here are a couple of cheap non-smart TVs in the 32-39" size range, under $125. They probably suck, but hey, cheap.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-1080P-FHD-LED-TV-X325BV-FSR/774297583

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seiki-39-Class-HD-LED-TV-SC-39HS950N/970134792

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Aware posted:

Lol the X900H most definitely does not have VRR yet and may never. 4k120 is still broken too displaying 1080p vertically so poo poo is blurry particularly noticeable with a desktop. I run a 65" X900H from a desktop with a 3080. Sony really overpromised and ubderdelivered here.

I would have gone with X950H instead if I'd known Sony would gently caress up the X900H firmware so bad. Sure it's only 4k60 but better HDR and view angles and colour.

Ah yes, I want to apologize for getting this wrong. That was me misreading eventual support as current, which I am now rereading as pretty unlikely ever. Or I may have been duped by some misleading marketing because I think I would have remembered if the original plan was "maybe no vrr ever". This is like the refresh rate debacle with "120" plastered all over everything, 60hz or not. But I'm sure the x900h has the "variable refresh rate motion index" set to "on".

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want to spend about a hundred dollars and get the most garbage-rear end television with zero features possible. I want "turns on" and "has HDMI port and outputs sound" and I care about literally nothing else. Is that even possible in 2021?

This technically isn't the thread to ask that, but I'm sure I'm not the first Luddite to wander in here.

e: I should probably clarify that "about a hundred" really means like sub-$300, and I don't actively need an enormous screen although of course I'd take more real estate at any point. I'm used to playing games on a 27" monitor so really anything 32" or above is going to feel big, etc.

Hisense and TCL are both reputable budget brands with generally non-garbage panel quality and a smaller feature set on the lower end. Check out a 43" TCL 4 Series and you'll be doing way better than an element/onn/sceptre etc.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

Ah yes, I want to apologize for getting this wrong. That was me misreading eventual support as current, which I am now rereading as pretty unlikely ever. Or I may have been duped by some misleading marketing because I think I would have remembered if the original plan was "maybe no vrr ever". This is like the refresh rate debacle with "120" plastered all over everything, 60hz or not. But I'm sure the x900h has the "variable refresh rate motion index" set to "on".

All good, it's Sony's fault not yours. It's still a great LCD TV for 4k60 and I wouldn't discourage anyone from grabbing one cheap but I'm disappointed it can't do 4k120 properly let alone VRR as a couch PC gamer and the fact Sony marketed these features hard early on.

You can't notice the 4k120 blur much ingame and it is nice and smooth but you see it immediately when you switch back to desktop. For console gaming it's probably 'fine' but I only have a Switch as far as consoles go.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

A Bag of Milk posted:

Hisense and TCL are both reputable budget brands with generally non-garbage panel quality and a smaller feature set on the lower end. Check out a 43" TCL 4 Series and you'll be doing way better than an element/onn/sceptre etc.

Do you know if I can side load apps on the Android TV version of the TVLs?

Right now I'm using a different launcher to get around seeing ads on my ShieldTV, and I'd like to do the same on the TCL, which is going to be a patio TV.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've done it on other TVs with android

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Can anyone recommend me some quality sound bars? Mid cost to high is my price range, I’d like something that will provide good quality across multiple ranges. I’m not an avid tv watcher so it doesn’t have to be the highest quality, I’d like to prioritize value while getting off my in-built tv speakers.

I have a separate solution for listening to music, so I’m not super concerned with a bar that is focused on bass. Thanks!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Do you want a simple but sturdy 2.0 bar? A 3.1 bar? Surround? Wireless subs or rears? Cuz it can get crazy.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Do you want a simple but sturdy 2.0 bar? A 3.1 bar? Surround? Wireless subs or rears? Cuz it can get crazy.

3.1 with wireless subs sounds like a happy medium, 5.1 moving above $500 doesn’t sound like a direction I want to go atm

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I do like the Sony line though they're pricey. You can find some Vizio crap for cheaper though.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

My LG CX has a uniformity issue that I'm not sure how to get addressed.
In a dark room, at near black but not fully black levels, there is an oval shaped area that is distinctly darker then everywhere else. It's mostly noticeable when the TV goes from displaying a bunch of bright stuff to a dark background. Not sure how to get it fixed, cause I can't always reproduce it, and when I call them for help they always wanna try a quick fix and see if it's still bad, but I can't tell if it's still bad in the middle of the day in a bright room - hell, sometimes can't tell in a dark room unless the right content is played, can't just fire up a solid screen test on YouTube. Any recommendations? I'm considering just living with it, but don't wanna cause the TV was incredibly expensive

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has my 2018 Vizio PQ65 been passed up by the likes of the TCL R635 and other MiniLED TVs? I still feel like it's the top tier performer it was back then, but the LG OLEDs look so sexy whenever I go to Costco.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 7, 2021

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Thom Yorke raps posted:

My LG CX has a uniformity issue that I'm not sure how to get addressed.
In a dark room, at near black but not fully black levels, there is an oval shaped area that is distinctly darker then everywhere else. It's mostly noticeable when the TV goes from displaying a bunch of bright stuff to a dark background. Not sure how to get it fixed, cause I can't always reproduce it, and when I call them for help they always wanna try a quick fix and see if it's still bad, but I can't tell if it's still bad in the middle of the day in a bright room - hell, sometimes can't tell in a dark room unless the right content is played, can't just fire up a solid screen test on YouTube. Any recommendations? I'm considering just living with it, but don't wanna cause the TV was incredibly expensive

Many if not most OLEDs have near-black uniformity variations. These often show up as lighter or darker bands and/or blotches. You can try to exchange and hope you get a "better" one, but you run the risk of actually getting a worse one. See this thread and mentally compare your set to the photos other users have taken: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/oled-screen-uniformity-discussion-banding-and-vignetting.2896737/

I guess if you notice it a lot, it's worth trying to get another one...but if you only notice it in very limited circumstances it might be better to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I have my Windows "high contrast" theme set to OLED-friendly colors, and have the background set at 2% gray. In HDR modes at maximum power saving (equivalent to a "0" OLED Light setting), I noticed a kind of reverse image retention, where that gray turned black for a short time following a bright white. Completely imperceptible unless in that specific circumstance in a pitch-black room, but it sounds like the same sort of behavior. I have a hunch it's temperature-related.